Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
24 February 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- COVID-19 not yet a pandemic, says UN health agency chief UN News 24 Feb 2020 -- While a sudden increase in new cases of COVID-19 is of concern, the spread of coronavirus is not yet a pandemic, the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Monday.
- WHO: Coronavirus Epidemic Is Not Yet Pandemic VOA 24 Feb 2020 -- The World Health Organization says the coronavirus outbreak does not yet fit the criterion for a pandemic – but warns a pandemic is possible and nations should prepare.
- Rise In Coronavirus Cases In Iran, Elsewhere Triggers Pandemic Fears RFE/RL 24 Feb 2020 -- Fears of a coronavirus pandemic, or global outbreak, are growing as countries including Iran, Italy, and South Korea are battling to contain the spread of the disease that has already killed around 2,600 people in China.
- No new confirmed COVID-19 cases reported in 24 provincial-level regions of China Global Times 24 Feb 2020 -- No new confirmed cases of COVID-19 were reported Sunday in 24 provincial-level regions of China, according to local health authorities Monday.
- China's thorough ban on illegal wildlife trade timely amid COVID19 Global Times 24 Feb 2020 -- Chinese lawmakers agreed Monday to thoroughly ban the illegal wildlife trade and eliminate bad habits of eating wild animals in China, the decision was hailed as "timely" and demonstrates a "global impact" experts agreed.
- Wuhan revokes easing control Global Times 24 Feb 2020 -- Authorities in Wuhan, Hubei Province, retracted an announcement only three hours after its publication that said it would ease the city's lockdown to allow certain residents to leave and those outside to enter, as the COVID-19 outbreak epicenter has been sealed off for 31 days.
- Chinese hospitals discharge 24,734 recovered patients of coronavirus infection People's Daily 24 Feb 2020 -- A total of 24,734 patients infected with the novel coronavirus had been discharged from hospital after recovery by the end of Sunday, Chinese health authority said Monday.
- China reports 409 new confirmed cases of coronavirus infection, 150 new deaths People's Daily 24 Feb 2020 -- Chinese health authority Monday said it received reports of 409 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 150 deaths on Sunday from 31 provincial-level regions on the mainland.
- China's Hubei reports 398 new coronavirus cases People's Daily 24 Feb 2020 -- Hubei Province, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus outbreak, reported 398 new confirmed cases of the virus infection and 149 new deaths on Sunday, Chinese health authority said Monday.
- Residents of Xinjiang's Ghulja City Going Hungry Under Coronavirus Quarantine Radio Free Asia 24 Feb 2020 -- Residents of Ghulja (in Chinese, Yining), in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR), are going hungry under a quarantine meant to stem the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), according to local sources, while officials are demanding payment in advance to bring them goods.
- Latest on coronavirus: China reports 150 more deaths, cases spike globally Press TV 24 Feb 2020 -- China has confirmed 150 more deaths from the novel coronavirus and more than 400 new cases as a spike in the number of infections in South Korea, Italy and Iran adds to fears of a pandemic around the world.
- China's military manufacturing unlikely impacted by semiconductor ban: insiders Global Times 24 Feb 2020 -- As 42 countries including the US are reportedly planning to restrict weapon-capable semiconductor parts exports in a move to prevent technologies from "leaking" to China, insiders said on Monday that the restriction will unlikely hinder development of China's military manufacturing, but will only further promote the country's independent efforts in the sector.
- China participates in largest joint military exercise in Southeast Asia Global Times 24 Feb 2020 -- The Chinese military has arrived in Thailand and will participate in the 2020 Cobra Gold multilateral joint military drills, the largest joint military exercise in Southeast Asia which will be led by Thailand and the US, starting Tuesday.
- PLA participates in Cobra Gold-2020 military exercise in Thailand PLA Daily 24 Feb 2020 -- Chinese troops participating in Cobra Gold-2020 joint military exercise left Kunming in southwest China by a transport aircraft of the PLA Air Force and arrived at U-Tapao Airport, Thailand on February 23.
- Chinese Parliament Delays Annual Meeting Over Coronavirus Outbreak Sputnik 24 Feb 2020 -- China is the epicentre of the novel strain of pneumonia-like virus, known as SARS-CoV-2. The country has put extensive travel restrictions in place to curb the spread of the virus; Monday's move is the first time the parliamentary session has been delayed in decades.
- China's top legislature approves postponement of annual legislative session, thorough ban on illegal wildlife trade Global Times 24 Feb 2020 -- China's top legislature approves postponement of annual legislative session, thorough ban on illegal wildlife trade
- China Postpones Annual Parliament As Coronavirus Spreads in Beijing Radio Free Asia 24 Feb 2020 -- The ruling Chinese Communist Party on Monday said an annual meeting of the country's rubber-stamp parliament would be postponed amid the ongoing coronavirus epidemic, which has now seen nearly 80,000 cases confirmed globally, along with more than 2,500 deaths.
- National security law drive launched in HK Global Times 24 Feb 2020 -- An online signature drive to push for national security legislation - passing Article 23 of the Basic Law - in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) began on Sunday, with the initiator saying there is an urgent need for the city to pass the law because separatists and anti-government forces are using the epidemic to harm the security of the country, the stability of the city, and public health.
- Xi stresses unremitting efforts in COVID-19 control, coordination on economic, social development People's Daily 24 Feb 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Sunday stressed unremitting efforts in the prevention and control of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) epidemic and coordination in advancing economic and social development.
- Party Propaganda Machine Wants 'Heartwarming' Tales From Virus-Hit Central China Radio Free Asia 24 Feb 2020 -- The ruling Chinese Communist Party is cracking down on earlier signs of original news reporting coming out of Wuhan, the central Chinese city worst-hit by the coronavirus epidemic, replacing frontline video on social media with government-approved narratives about brave "heroes" on the front line.
- Xi stresses orderly resumption of work, production People's Daily 24 Feb 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping Sunday stressed orderly resumption of work and production, with specific requirements made to that end.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list