Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
18 February 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Qaraqash List 'Debunks' China's Claims of Combating Extremism in Xinjiang: Uyghur Whistleblower Radio Free Asia 18 Feb 2020 -- The latest leaked official document detailing the incarceration of hundreds of ethnic Uyghurs in one county in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) has "debunked" claims that the policy is part of a bid to fight extremism in the region, the person who made it public said Tuesday.
- Coronavirus Death Toll Near 1,900 VOA 18 Feb 2020 -- Chinese health officials reported Tuesday the number of confirmed cases from a coronavirus outbreak has surpassed 72,000, with the death toll rising to nearly 1,900.
- China reports 1,886 new confirmed cases of coronavirus infection, 98 new deaths People's Daily 18 Feb 2020 -- Chinese health authority Tuesday said it received reports of 1,886 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 98 deaths on Monday from 31 provincial-level regions and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps.
- Makeshift hospital delivered in northwest China city amid coronavirus battle Global Times 18 Feb 2020 -- A makeshift hospital was delivered Monday in a major northwestern Chinese city amid the fight against the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak.
- Human transmissions in Wuhan haven't stopped: top health adviser Global Times 18 Feb 2020 -- Human-to-human transmissions have not stopped in Wuhan, Zhong Nanshan, the central government's top medical adviser, warned while epidemic-stricken Hubei Province faces a critical time in fighting the COVID-19 epidemic.
- Hospital Director in China's Wuhan Dies of Coronavirus: State TV Radio Free Asia 18 Feb 2020 -- The director of a hospital in the central Chinese city of Wuhan has reportedly died of coronavirus, state media reported on Tuesday, as the number of deaths from COVID-19 neared 2,000.
- North Korean Police Threaten to Execute Smugglers as Coronavirus Epidemic Continues in China Radio Free Asia 18 Feb 2020 -- Police in North Korea earlier this month issued a decree that warns of stronger punishments for smugglers–including the death penalty-- amid the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) epidemic in China and several of its immediate neighbors, RFA has learned.
- Russia Temporarily Bans Chinese Citizens From Entry Amid Virus Fears RFE/RL 18 Feb 2020 -- Russia says it will temporarily block Chinese citizens from entering its territory as authorities look to stem the spread of the deadly coronavirus outbreak.
- Coronavirus Infections Jump to 57 in Sichuan's Tawu County Radio Free Asia 18 Feb 2020 -- Confirmed cases of coronavirus infection in Sichuan's Tawu county have now climbed to 57, with seven new cases reported on Feb. 16 and five reported on Feb. 17, according to official Chinese health department reports.
- Hong Kong 'At Risk' From Community Coronavirus Outbreak, Medical Experts Warn Radio Free Asia 18 Feb 2020 -- Authorities in Hong Kong are stepping up coronavirus surveillance measures as experts warn the city is at high risk of infections spreading within the local community.
- Ukraine Sending Plane To Evacuate Citizens From China As Virus Deaths Exceed 1,800 RFE/RL 18 Feb 2020 -- After a week of delay, Ukraine on February 18 plans to send a plane to China and evacuate 49 citizens and 25 foreign nationals, Health Minister Viktor Lyashko announced the previous day.
- Wuhan Hospital Director Dies Due to Coronavirus Infection - Reports Sputnik 18 Feb 2020 -- The news comes after the death of another medic earlier this month, ophthalmologist Li Wenliang, who had warned the public about the disease back in December when it had just broken out.
- Chinese arms companies race to keep up with production schedule delayed by virus outbreak Global Times 18 Feb 2020 -- Chinese arms enterprises have been racing to keep up with their production schedule after resuming work following an extended Spring Festival holiday due to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak with a key amphibious assault ship maker scrambling to outfit an "important" ship and aviation companies running test flights for newly built warplanes.
- 'Leaked' Xinjiang files likely cooked up by foreign intel agencies Global Times 18 Feb 2020 -- As China spares no effort in its fight against the novel coronavirus outbreak, some Western media coincidently and simultaneously released the so-called Karakax list, which they called the third "leaked documents" from Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, and they attacked China's anti-terrorism measures in the region.
- Commentary: Proposals for postponing "two sessions" provide time to fight COVID-19 outbreak People's Daily 18 Feb 2020 -- The proposals to postpone China's "two sessions," a key event in the country's political calendar, came out Monday in a timely and responsible manner, as the latest evidence that China is trying its best to buy time for the world to contain the outbreak of novel coronavirus or COVID-19.
- U.S. largest state actor of spying in cyberspace: FM spokesperson People's Daily 18 Feb 2020 -- Facts have proven once again that the United States is the largest state actor of spying in cyberspace, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Geng Shuang said Monday, urging the United States to clarify to the international community on relevant affairs.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list