Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
13 February 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Senior official named for HK, Macao agency Global Times 13 Feb 2020 -- China announced on Thursday the appointment of Xia Baolong, vice chairman of China's top political advisory body, as head of the Hong Kong and Macao Affairs Office (HKMAO) of the State Council.
- Homemade strategic cargo plane Y-20 joins battle against epidemic People's Daily 13 Feb 2020 -- China's domestically developed large transport aircraft Y-20 for the first time conducted a large-scale military operation in a situation other than war, arriving Thursday in Wuhan with medical reinforcements and supplies to join the battle against the COVID-19 outbreak.
- China Under Xi Jinping is a 'Dystopian Digital Surveillance State': Rights Group Radio Free Asia 13 Feb 2020 -- Chinese president Xi Jinping is building a "dystopian digital surveillance state" to promote his brand of totalitarian rule, according to a recent report by a human rights group.
- China Puts Hardline Ally of President Xi Jinping in Charge of Hong Kong, Macau Radio Free Asia 13 Feb 2020 -- The ruling Chinese Communist Party has demoted its official in charge of Hong Kong following months of mass protests in the city, appointing a hardline senior official who presided over the tearing down of crosses and the forcible demolition of churches in the eastern province of Zhejiang.
- Chinese Telecommunications Conglomerate Huawei and Subsidiaries Charged in Racketeering Conspiracy and Conspiracy to Steal Trade Secrets US Dept. of Justice 13 Feb 2020 -- A superseding indictment was returned yesterday in federal court in Brooklyn, New York, charging Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd. (Huawei), the world's largest telecommunications equipment manufacturer, and two U.S. subsidiaries with conspiracy to violate the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO).
- Chinese military never engages in cyber espionage: Defense Spokesperson PLA Daily 13 Feb 2020 -- "The Chinese military has never engaged in any form of cyber theft. The US accusation is groundless and totally hegemonic," said Senior Colonel Wuqian, spokesperson for China's Ministry of National Defense, in a written statement published on Thursday.
- 'Clinically diagnosed cases' included in outbreak center Hubei to effectively fix a loophole in COVID-19 spread Global Times 13 Feb 2020 -- Central China's Hubei Province, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus pneumonia (COVID-19) outbreak, began to include the number of clinically diagnosed cases in its daily updated report for the first time on Thursday.
- Shanghai authorities debunk latest rumors on coronavirus outbreak Global Times 13 Feb 2020 -- Refuting misinformation is an essential part of the fight against the novel coronavirus pneumonia (CODIV-19) as some misleading information, to some extent, can trigger panic among the public during the time of this crisis.
- Sharp increase in daily deaths in Hubei a result of adjustment in diagnostic criteria: experts Global Times 13 Feb 2020 -- Central China's Hubei Province, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus pneumonia (COVID-19) outbreak, recorded a sharp increase in the number of both newly confirmed cases and deaths on Wednesday after the number of clinically diagnosed cases was included in the total.
- PLA sends 2,600 medical staff to fight coronavirus in Wuhan Global Times 13 Feb 2020 -- On the approval of President Xi Jinping, who is also the Chairman of the Communist Party of China's Central Military Commission, Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) sends an additional 2,600 medical personnel to support the fight against the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan.
- Hubei reports jump in new COVID-19 cases after diagnosis criteria loosened People's Daily 13 Feb 2020 -- Hubei Province, center of the novel coronavirus outbreak, reported 14,840 new confirmed cases and 242 new deaths Wednesday, the highest daily increases so far, after the diagnosis criteria for confirmed COVID-19 cases were further loosened for timely treatment of more patients.
- Makeshift hospital in Wuhan at full capacity to treat coronavirus-infected patients People's Daily 13 Feb 2020 -- More than 1,000 patients infected with the novel coronavirus had been admitted to a makeshift hospital in Wuhan, the epicenter of the virus outbreak, as of the end of Wednesday.
- Beijing reactivates idle mask factories for anti-virus fight People's Daily 13 Feb 2020 -- Beijing has activated three mask factories that have been obsolete for years to meet the huge demand of masks nationwide amid the novel coronavirus outbreak.
- Wuhan increases designated hospitals for COVID-19 patients People's Daily 13 Feb 2020 -- The number of designated hospitals has increased to more than 40 in Wuhan, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, local authorities said.
- China regulates air conditioning use in public places amid virus outbreak People's Daily 13 Feb 2020 -- China has released a guideline to regulate the use of air-conditioning and ventilation systems in offices and public places amid an effort to contain the novel coronavirus.
- Virus Cases Spike as China Removes Hubei Officials Linked to Epidemic Radio Free Asia 13 Feb 2020 -- China said it had seen a rise in coronavirus cases of more than 15,000 after officials changed reporting criteria in the worst-hit province of Hubei, of which Wuhan is the capital.
- Coronavirus Affects China-backed Projects in Bangladesh Radio Free Asia 13 Feb 2020 -- The coronavirus outbreak could impede the construction of Beijing-backed infrastructure projects across Bangladesh, officials said, amid reports that thousands of Chinese working on them have been stranded in China as a result, after going home for Lunar New Year festivities.
- China Reports Nearly Half a Million People Have Had Close Contact with Coronavirus Patients VOA 13 Feb 2020 -- China's National Health Commission reported this week that nearly half a million Chinese citizens have had close contact with individuals with confirmed diagnoses of the novel coronavirus that originated in the central city of Wuhan.
- China reshuffles top officials in coronavirus epicenter Hubei Province Global Times 13 Feb 2020 -- China has reshuffled top officials in Central China's Hubei Province, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus pneumonia (COVID-19) outbreak, by appointing a new Party chief to both the province and the capital city Wuhan, with both having a background in legal affairs for years and considered "firefighters," and decisive in dealing with public health crises.
- China Reports Huge Spike in New Coronavirus Cases, 254 More Deaths VOA 13 Feb 2020 -- Authorities in the central Chinese province of Hubei say 254 more more have died from the new coronavirus and they announced a huge increase in the number of cases.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list