Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
11 February 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Outbreak may peak in mid or late-February: epidemiologist Global Times 11 Feb 2020 -- China vows to win the battle against the coronavirus while the epicenter of the disease has now entered a critical stage amid this people's war against the epidemic, forcing local authorities to deal with a management crisis and respond to public discontent discontent more efficiently.
- Central govt officials scold Wuhan officials for sloppiness Global Times 11 Feb 2020 -- Central government officials have summoned those from Wuhan, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus pneumonia (NCP) outbreak, for talks, following the latest incident in which local officials failed to fulfill their duties when transferring a batch of coronavirus patients to a designated hospital, reflecting the central government's determination to hold all those officials accountable for slackness and misconduct amid the epidemic.
- Lawmakers amend law to further ban wildlife eating, trading amid epidemic Global Times 11 Feb 2020 -- The ongoing novel coronavirus epidemic has renewed motivations to ban eating and trading wild animals in China.
- Cases show incubation period of 2019-nCoV longer than 14 days Global Times 11 Feb 2020 -- Fresh evidence is suggesting that the incubation period of the novel coronavirus in China could be longer than previously suggested 14 days, likely reaching up to 24 days in some cases.
- New infections of novel coronavirus drop for 7th consecutive day outside Hubei People's Daily 11 Feb 2020 -- China's new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus pneumonia outside Hubei Province, where the epicenter city of Wuhan is located, has been dropping for seven consecutive days, according to the National Health Commission (NHC).
- China to amend law on wildlife protection: official People's Daily 11 Feb 2020 -- China's top legislature will amend the law on the protection of wildlife this year in an effort to fight the novel coronavirus outbreak, an official said Monday.
- Fears Grow That Coronavirus May be Spreading Locally in Hong Kong Radio Free Asia 11 Feb 2020 -- Authorities in Hong Kong evacuated several families from an apartment block in the city's Tsing Yi district on Tuesday, as the government warned people to stay home amid fears of a full-blown community outbreak of coronavirus.
- China Removes Two Hubei Officials Amid Public Anger Over Epidemic Radio Free Asia 11 Feb 2020 -- The ruling Chinese Communist Party said on Tuesday it has removed two high-ranking health officials from the central province of Hubei as the death toll in the coronavirus epidemic passed 1,000.
- Ngaba Authorities Pay for Information on Attempts to Evade Coronavirus Controls Radio Free Asia 11 Feb 2020 -- Authorities in a Tibetan-populated county in Sichuan are offering rewards for information helping to contain the spread of the Wuhan coronavirus, whose death toll in mainland China has now topped 1,000, according to an official announcement.
- China Virus Deaths Top 1,000, Senior Chinese Officials 'Removed' RFE/RL 11 Feb 2020 -- China has "removed" a number of senior officials over their handling of a novel respiratory virus, state media reported, as the death toll reached more than 1,000.
- Chinese UN mission angry at leakage of DPRK report People's Daily 11 Feb 2020 -- A spokesperson of China's Permanent Mission to the United Nations on Monday expressed indignation and concern over the leakage of a report on sanctions against the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).
- Chinese military conducts joint air-sea drill near Taiwan island PLA Daily 11 Feb 2020 -- Following the combat-readiness patrol on February 9, the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Eastern Theater Command organized its naval and air forces to conduct a joint drill in waters off the southeast coast of Taiwan island on Feb. 10, said Senior Colonel Zhang Chunhui, spokesperson for the Chinese PLA Eastern Theater Command on Tuesday.
- American Businessman Who Ran Houston-Based Subsidiary of Chinese Company Sentenced to Prison for Theft of Trade Secrets US Dept. of Justice 11 Feb 2020 -- The head of a Houston-based company that was the subsidiary of a Chinese company that developed stolen trade secrets was sentenced to 16 months in prison and ordered to forfeit more than $330,000 by U.S. District Judge Christopher R. Cooper of the District of Columbia.
- Xi Focus: Xi vows to win people's war against novel coronavirus PLA Daily 11 Feb 2020 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee, on Monday stressed resolutely winning the people's war against pneumonia epidemic caused by the novel coronavirus.
- PLA conducts drills near Taiwan island for 2 days in a row Global Times 11 Feb 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) on Monday launched joint drills featuring naval and air forces near the island of Taiwan, one day after it conducted a combat readiness drill which saw its warplanes encircle the island.
- Beijing strengthens lockdown of residential communities for epidemic control Global Times 11 Feb 2020 -- Beijing authorities on Monday rolled out more measures to further lock down residential communities to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus.
- Dozens of households evacuated after 2 coronavirus cases found in same building in Hong Kong Global Times 11 Feb 2020 -- Beijing authorities on Monday rolled out more measures to further lock down residential communities to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list