Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
10 February 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- On-orbit construction mission of China's space station to kick off People's Daily 10 Feb 2020 -- China's Long March-5B carrier rocket arrived at the Wenchng Space Launch Center in southern China's Hainan Province on Feb. 5 and is scheduled to make its maiden flight, launching the prototype of China's new manned spaceship in April.
- Chinese military planes cross median line of Taiwan Strait CNA 10 Feb 2020 -- Chinese military aircraft crossed over the median line of the Taiwan Strait and into Taiwan's airspace on Monday for the first time in nearly a year, as Beijing continued military maneuvers near Taiwan for a second straight day.
- Chinese Military Personnel Charged with Computer Fraud, Economic Espionage and Wire Fraud for Hacking into Credit Reporting Agency Equifax US Dept. of Justice 10 Feb 2020 -- Indictment Alleges Four Members of China's People's Liberation Army Engaged in a Three-Month Long Campaign to Steal Sensitive Personal Information of Nearly 150 Million Americans
- Attorney General William P. Barr Announces Indictment of Four Members of China's Military for Hacking into Equifax US Dept. of Justice 10 Feb 2020
- US Charges Chinese Military Officers With 2017 Equifax Hack VOA 10 Feb 2020 -- Four members of the Chinese military have been charged with hacking U.S. credit reporting giant Equifax in 2017 and stealing the personal data of nearly half of all Americans, U.S. law enforcement officials announced on Monday.
- Amid Pressure From U.S. Sanctions, Iran Reaches Out Publicly To China RFE/RL 10 Feb 2020 -- With tensions high between the United States and Tehran, Iran's attempts to reach out to China have increasingly been put on public display.
- Coronavirus Death Toll Tops 1,000 VOA 10 Feb 2020 -- The coronavirus death toll in China has hit an unhappy milestone, topping 1,000 after the center of the outbreak, Hubei province, reported another 103 deaths Monday.
- Coronavirus containment is the key, as infections tick up: Tedros UN News 10 Feb 2020 -- Governments should continue to treat containment of the coronavirus as a priority, the head of the UN health agency, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said on Monday.
- WHO inspection team to work with Chinese counterparts on virus control: NHC Global Times 10 Feb 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) has sent a team of international experts to China to work with Chinese counterparts on prevention and control of the novel coronavirus epidemic, and the advance team is scheduled to arrive in Beijing on Monday, the Chinese health commission said.
- Wuhan wages total war at novel coronavirus pneumonia outbreak Global Times 10 Feb 2020 -- Wuhan, capital of Central China's Hubei Province and the epicenter of the novel coronavirus pneumonia (NCP) outbreak, has sounded the horn of total war to combat the epidemic, as more than 16,000 public service servants and college teachers have been mobilized to help carpet screen the city to make sure timely and concentrated admission and treatment of all patients needing medical assistance.
- Second makeshift hospital in epicenter Wuhan delivered, put into operation People's Daily 10 Feb 2020 -- China's second makeshift hospital to battle against the novel coronavirus in epicenter Wuhan on Feb. 6 completed acceptance testing by the city's urban construction department and health commission after 10 days of construction.
- Coronavirus infected 27 foreigners in China, 2 dead: Beijing Press TV 10 Feb 2020 -- China says dozens of foreigners in the country have been infected with the coronavirus, two of whom have died, as the total death toll from the epidemic inside the country is approaching 1,000.
- Xi Jinping Dons Face Mask as Beijing Residents Are Told to Stay Home Radio Free Asia 10 Feb 2020 -- Authorities in the Chinese capital placed heavy restrictions on the movements of the city's 21 million residents on Monday, as President Xi Jinping appeared in public wearing a face mask.
- China Detains, Harasses Journalist, Academics Over Reports, Comments on Coronavirus Radio Free Asia 10 Feb 2020 -- Chinese citizen journalist and lawyer Chen Qiushi is incommunicado, believed detained, after reporting from the front line of the coronavirus epidemic in the central city of Wuhan.
- Seven Detained in Tibet For 'Spreading Rumors' on the Coronavirus Threat Radio Free Asia 10 Feb 2020 -- Chinese authorities in Tibet have cracked down on online discussions of the rising number of infections from China's coronavirus, detaining seven people in Tibet's Chamdo prefecture on charges of spreading rumors and misinformation, according to state media and other sources.
- Party members 'pioneers' in outbreak battle Global Times 10 Feb 2020 -- During the difficult fight against the novel coronavirus pneumonia (NCP), some foreign forces have constantly tried to find and exaggerate the mistakes and imperfections of the Chinese political system and attempted to portray the crisis as a failure of the Communist Party of China (CPC).
- China braces for work restart Global Times 10 Feb 2020 -- Fully gear up, keep a certain distance in the subway and canteens, check body temperature before entering the office building and less talk when lining up. Chinese people found out their work style has completely changed after the extended Spring Festival holidays while the spread of coronavirus has reshaped their lives and more people are struggling to pull through the difficult time.
- Cities await travel peak amid outbreak Global Times 10 Feb 2020 -- Newly released travel data suggests that work and mass transit will not rebound fully into life on Monday, the date originally set for economic activity to recommence across China and an indication that the novel coronavirus has delayed millions of return trips from the extended Spring Festival holiday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list