Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
04 February 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese peacekeepers to perform humanitarian demining mission in Lebanon PLA Daily 04 Feb 2020 -- The United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) and the Lebanese Armed Forces(LAF) recently held a memorandum of understanding (MOU) signing ceremony aiming to strengthen both sides' cooperation on humanitarian demining.
- Families of Kazakhs in Xinjiang's Camps Say Pompeo Promised To Help Radio Free Asia 04 Feb 2020 -- The families of ethnic minority Kazakhs detained in China's mass incarceration camps in its northwestern region of Xinjiang across the border from Kazakhstan say the U.S. Secretary of State was "in touch with" Beijing over the plight of their relatives.
- Coronavirus Cases Top 20,000 as Epidemic Spreads to Other Cities Radio Free Asia 04 Feb 2020 -- Health officials in China on Tuesday said that more than 400 people had died of coronavirus infections by Tuesday evening, with more than 20,000 confirmed cases globally, as local governments continued to announce lockdowns in cities and counties with the spread of the epidemic outwards from Wuhan.
- Atush Roads Fenced Off, Residents Confined to Homes, as Xinjiang Stares Down Virus Advance Radio Free Asia 04 Feb 2020 -- Authorities in Atush (in Chinese, Atushi), in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR), have fenced off the city's roads, leaving residents confined to their homes and running out of supplies, as they work to control the rapid spread of the deadly novel coronavirus (nCoV), which has been traced back to Hubei province's Wuhan city.
- Four Tibetans Among Eight Confirmed Coronavirus Cases in Tibetan Area of Sichuan Province Radio Free Asia 04 Feb 2020 -- Four Tibetans are believed to be among eight confirmed novel coronavirus (nCoV) cases in a Tibetan area of western China's Sichuan province, RFA has learned.
- Wuhan's Huoshenshan Hospital receives first 50 coronavirus patients Global Times 04 Feb 2020 -- Huoshenshan Hospital, the first makeshift hospital in Wuhan special for patients infected with the novel coronavirus, admitted its first batch of 50 patients in serious condition on Tuesday morning.
- SCIO briefing on the provision of key medical supplies and daily necessities for epidemic prevention and control Global Times 04 Feb 2020
- Hangzhou to close down 'non-essential public places' to curb coronavirus epidemic Global Times 04 Feb 2020 -- The local government of Hangzhou, capital of East China's Zhejiang Province, released a range of regulations including the closing down of all non-essential public places and locking down residential communities to curb the coronavirus outbreak on Tuesday, after 132 confirmed cases were reported in the city.
- Wuhan to convert gymnasium, exhibition center into temporary hospitals Global Times 04 Feb 2020 -- Wuhan in central China's Hubei Province plans to convert three existing venues, including a gymnasium and an exhibition center, into hospitals to receive patients infected with the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV), the headquarters for the epidemic control said late Monday.
- Wuhan builds 3 temporary hospitals for mild nCoV cases Global Times 04 Feb 2020 -- Wuhan is building three temporary hospitals in a local gymnasium, an exhibition center and a building complex to expand its capacity for receiving and treating patients infected with the novel coronavirus.
- NCoV battle 'a major test' for Chinese officials Global Times 04 Feb 2020 -- Fighting the deadly coronavirus has become a major test not only for frontline doctors and nurses in China but also for local Chinese officials as it has been a crucial moment to reevaluate the effectiveness of urban governance, and major gaps among provinces and municipalities still remain due to the lack of scientific and comprehensive management.
- Number of Infected With China Coronavirus Globally Exceeds 20,600 People - WHO Sputnik 04 Feb 2020 -- The number of people infected with new coronavirus worldwide exceeded 20,600 people, the World Health Organisation (WHO) reported on Tuesday.
- China's Foreign Ministry Says US Should Not Overreact to Coronavirus Outbreak Sputnik 04 Feb 2020 -- The virus originated in the Chinese city of Wuhan in December, and since then, cases of it have been registered in more than 24 countries, including the United States.
- Coronavirus: UN health agency moves fast to tackle 'infodemic'; Guterres warns against stigmatization UN News 04 Feb 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) has taken steps to ensure that the coronavirus epidemic that has claimed hundreds of lives in central China does not spark a dangerous social media "infodemic" fuelled by false information.
- Why Isn't the Coronavirus Outbreak a Pandemic Yet? VOA 04 Feb 2020 -- Amid the worldwide spread of the novel coronavirus, 2019-nCoV, the World Health Organization (WHO) said Tuesday the outbreak is a "global health emergency" and "an epidemic with multiple locations" but not yet a pandemic.
- Coronavirus Has Not Reached Pandemic Status, Says WHO VOA 04 Feb 2020 -- Despite its increasing detection in numerous countries, the World Health Organization says the outbreak of the new coronavirus has not yet reached the level of a pandemic.
- Hong Kong Medical Workers Still On Strike as Territory Confirms 1st Coronavirus Death VOA 04 Feb 2020 -- Medical workers in Hong Kong are staging a second consecutive day of strikes Tuesday as the Chinese territory reports its first death from a coronavirus that has killed 425 people in mainland China.
- Community grid system helps China fight virus Global Times 04 Feb 2020 -- Community grid management, a nationwide social governance system in China that aims to improve the government's efficiency to actively find and solve problems for people among populous regions, is playing a crucial role in helping the country to fight the novel coronavirus epidemic.
- 2019-nCoV fatalities far lower than H1N1, Ebola Global Times 04 Feb 2020 -- The fatality rate of confirmed novel coronavirus-related pneumonia cases in China was 2.1 percent as of Monday night, far below previous international outbreaks of H1N1 flu, MERS and Ebola viruses, Chinese officials said.
- China's commerce ministry urges expansion of imports to tackle coronavirus Global Times 04 Feb 2020 -- The Ministry of Commerce (MOFCOM) put up a notice on Tuesday calling for expanded imports of medical goods and necessities of life to tackle the novel coronavirus.
- China endeavors to ensure supply of masks, necessities amid epidemic People's Daily 04 Feb 2020 -- China is making every effort to ensure the supply of medical and daily necessities for citizens as the country battles the novel coronavirus epidemic.
- Hong Kong reports first death from new coronavirus infection People's Daily 04 Feb 2020 -- A 39-year-old man infected with novel coronavirus died on Tuesday in a Hong Kong hospital, the first death case in Hong Kong, the hospital's spokesperson confirmed.
- China urges relevant countries to view epidemic in rational, calm way People's Daily 04 Feb 2020 -- China on Monday urged relevant countries to view the novel coronavirus epidemic rationally and calmly and form science-based and measured responses.
- Newly-built hospital in Wuhan accepts patients infected with coronavirus People's Daily 04 Feb 2020 -- A newly-built hospital in Wuhan, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus outbreak in China, began accepting patients infected with the virus on Tuesday.
- WHO praises China's effective control measures, calls for world preparedness, not panic People's Daily 04 Feb 2020 -- World Health Organization (WHO) on Monday spoke highly of China's effective control measures to combat the novel coronavirus outbreak, and called on all countries to invest in preparedness, not panic to manage the epidemic.
- Huoshenshan Hospital starts operation PLA Daily 04 Feb 2020 -- Huoshenshan Hospital, a SARS treatment-model makeshift hospital in Wuhan, started admitting patients on Tuesday morning.
- WHO says coronavirus outbreak 'not yet a pandemic' Press TV 04 Feb 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO), which belatedly announced a global health emergency after the outbreak of a deadly coronavirus in China and beyond, says the outbreak does not yet constitute a "pandemic."
- More cities locking down in China over virus outbreak fears Press TV 04 Feb 2020 -- More Chinese cities are putting in place restrictions on movement in a cautionary measure to prevent or slow down the spread of a new coronavirus epidemic in China and beyond, as Hong Kong records its first death from the disease.
- China has allocated 47 bln yuan in battle against novel coronavirus People's Daily 04 Feb 2020 -- China's finance authorities at all levels have allocated 47 billion yuan (about 6.8 billion U.S. dollars) as of midnight Feb. 2 for the coronavirus prevention and control work, official data showed.
- China reports 3,235 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection, 64 new deaths People's Daily 04 Feb 2020 -- Chinese health authorities Tuesday said it received reports of 3,235 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 64 deaths on Monday from 31 provincial-level regions and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps.
- Chinese hospitals discharge 632 recovered patients of coronavirus infection People's Daily 04 Feb 2020 -- A total of 632 patients infected with the novel coronavirus had been discharged from hospital after recovery by the end of Monday, Chinese health authorities announced Tuesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list