Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
31 January 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- WHO decision makes little effect in curbing China Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) declared on Thursday (local time) in Geneva the novel coronavirus outbreak a global public health emergency of international concern (PHEIC), putting pressure on China amid the deadly virus battle, as more countries are likely to issue travel advisories and impose trade restrictions.
- US' China travel ban an 'overreaction' to WHO declaration Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- The US warning against traveling to China due to the novel coronavirus spread is an overreaction, which would greatly hurt global tourism and hinder people-to-people exchanges, Chinese experts say.
- Medical supply shortage haunts Hubei Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- Thousands of medical personnel from across China have been rushing to Hubei, bringing medical supplies, as the extreme shortage of medical supplies has been haunting the epicenter of the novel coronavirus in the country.
- Shanghai regulates mask sales to prevent shortage: authority Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- Shanghai residents have to register to buy medical masks starting Sunday to alleviate the city's current shortage of masks during the fight against novel coronavirus, a local government spokesperson said Friday.
- CPC allocates 108 mln yuan for coronavirus control Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- The Organization Department of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) has allocated 108 million yuan (about 15.57 million US dollars) to prevent and control the novel coronavirus epidemic.
- Chinese premier urges vaccine, medicine development against epidemic Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang on Thursday stressed speeding up the development of vaccine and medicine against pneumonia caused by a novel coronavirus.
- China imported 56.228 million masks within 7 days Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- Customs departments nationwide have received over 16,000 batches of supplies from overseas, among which were a total of 56.228 million masks, to help fight against the spread of the novel coronavirus in China.
- Hubei adds 70 rural medical facilities against epidemic Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- More than 70 new medical facilities have joined in the battle against the novel coronavirus epidemic in the rural areas of central China's Hubei Province.
- China's Hubei reports 1,220 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus pneumonia Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- Central China's Hubei Province reported 1,220 new confirmed cases of pneumonia caused by the novel coronavirus and 42 new deaths on Thursday, local health authorities said Friday.
- China says has full confidence, capability to control epidemic People's Daily 31 Jan 2020 -- China has full confidence and capability to win the fight against the novel coronavirus epidemic, a foreign ministry spokesperson said Friday.
- WHO regional official lauds China for making control of coronavirus outbreak top priority People's Daily 31 Jan 2020 -- Takeshi Kasai, World Health Organization (WHO) Regional Director for the Western Pacific, praised China for focusing its efforts on how to bring the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) outbreak under control.
- Hong Kong eyes 24 mln face masks from mainland to ease shortage People's Daily 31 Jan 2020 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region government is working with mainland authorities for a supply of more than 24 million face masks in an effort to ease local shortage of protective gear in the fight against spread of the novel coronavirus.
- Beijing launches temperature screening in all subway stations People's Daily 31 Jan 2020 -- Beijing subway authorities on Friday said they have launched temperature detection measures in all of the city's subway stations.
- Construction work of two hospitals underway to tackle novel coronavirus in Wuhan People's Daily 31 Jan 2020 -- As of Jan.30, major aspects of construction work pertaining to the Huoshenshan hospital have been completed. The assembly work related to the hospital wards is now underway, while the construction of pipe systems is now 60 percent complete.
- China's Jiangsu develops rapid test kit for coronavirus People's Daily 31 Jan 2020 -- Experts have developed a rapid nucleic test kit for the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in the city of Wuxi, east China's Jiangsu Province.
- Coronavirus Ravages Wuhan as Hospitals Turn Fever, Pneumonia Patients Away Radio Free Asia 31 Jan 2020 -- Wuhan residents and a citizen journalist at the epicenter of the coronavirus epidemic say the city is fighting a losing battle as the death toll rose on Friday to 213, with nearly 10,000 confirmed cases around the world.
- Hong Kong Threatened With Medical Strike Over Refusal to Shut Border Radio Free Asia 31 Jan 2020 -- Medical staff in Hong Kong are threatening to strike if the city's government doesn't shut down its border with mainland China in the face of the coronavirus epidemic now spreading outwards from central China with nearly 10,000 confirmed cases and more than 200 deaths reported on Friday.
- China Expresses Confidence Coronavirus Epidemic Will Be Defeated VOA 31 Jan 2020 -- A high-ranking Chinese official says he is confident strong measures taken by his government to tackle the coronavirus outbreak are working and will succeed in preventing the deadly virus from spreading. Chinese authorities say the number of confirmed cases has risen to nearly 10,000, including 213 deaths.
- IMF Chief Says 'Some' Negative Impact From Coronavirus Likely in Q1 Sputnik 31 Jan 2020 -- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) expects some negative first quarter economic impact from China's coronavirus amid disruptions to travel, tourism and manufacturing, IMF Managing Director Kristalina Georgieva said at a forum in Washington.
- Chinese Authorities Send Charter Flights Globally to Return Wuhan Residents - Foreign Ministry Sputnik 31 Jan 2020 -- China's Wuhan is ground zero for the latest strain of the coronavirus, dubbed 2019-nCoV, or more commonly the Wuhan virus that has spread to at least 19 countries, infecting 9,356 people in China alone.
- Pakistan Halts All Flights To And From China Amid Coronavirus Fears RFE/RL 31 Jan 2020 -- Pakistan says it is halting all flights to and from China after the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the ongoing coronavirus outbreak a global emergency.
- Pakistan Suspends Flights to China a Day After WHO Declares Global Health Emergency Over Coronavirus Sputnik 31 Jan 2020 -- Airlines around the world have been suspending all flights to China following the outbreak of the virus which has already claimed the lives of over 200 people.
- Coronavirus: India Sends Special Flight to Wuhan to Evacuate its Citizens Sputnik 31 Jan 2020 -- On 30 January, the World Health Organisation declared the spread of the Novel Coronavirus a 'Public Health Emergency of International Concern'.
- China's Type 055 warship larger, more powerful than expected Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- It has emerged that China's most advanced destroyer, the 10,000-ton-class Type 055, is larger than previously reported as the Chinese Navy recently revealed it has an actual displacement of more than 12,000 tons. Experts said on Friday that the difference between 10,000 and 12,000 tons could be huge and indicate the warship is even more powerful than expected.
- Coronavirus impact on Q1 economy bigger than SARS Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- The coronavirus outbreak could deal a heavier blow to the Chinese economy than the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) from almost two decades ago, weighing up to 2 percentage points on China's Q1 GDP growth for 2020 due to a steep decline in consumption, a key driver for the Chinese economy, said industry insiders and observers.
- Exporters see rebound when virus crisis ends Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- There are mounting concerns from Chinese exporters over trade hours after the World Health Organization (WHO) on Thursday declared the coronavirus outbreak originating in China a global emergency.
- China has resources, resolve to effectively meet novel coronavirus challenge: IMF People's Daily 31 Jan 2020 -- China is a large economy with the resources and the resolve to effectively meet the challenge of the outbreak of pneumonia caused by the novel coronavirus, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) said Thursday.
- China's Economic Growth May Suffer Twin Blows Radio Free Asia 31 Jan 2020 -- As the effects of China's coronavirus cloud prospects for the economy, signs from the state power sector have added to concerns about diminishing growth.
- Hong Kong Protesters Face 'Abusive' Policing, Suppression of Promised Freedoms: Report Radio Free Asia 31 Jan 2020 -- Hong Kong protesters are 'bloodied but not broken' in the wake of abusive policing tactics for which the authorities have yet to be held accountable, according to an annual report from Amnesty International.
- Uyghurs in Saudi Arabia Flee to Turkey As Chinese Embassy Ends Passport Renewals Radio Free Asia 31 Jan 2020 -- Ethnic Uyghurs of Chinese nationality in Saudi Arabia are increasingly seeking asylum in Turkey amid a policy by Beijing to stop renewing their passports, which rights groups say is part of a bid to force them to return home, where they face persecution and detention.
- WHO says novel coronavirus outbreak a global health emergency, disfavors travel and trade restrictions People's Daily 31 Jan 2020 -- World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Thursday that the novel coronavirus outbreak has become a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC).
- China reports 9,692 confirmed cases of novel coronavirus pneumonia, 213 deaths People's Daily 31 Jan 2020 -- Chinese health authorities announced Friday that 9,692 confirmed cases of pneumonia caused by the novel coronavirus had been reported in 31 provincial-level regions and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps by the end of Thursday. A total of 213 people have died of the disease.
- China "confident in, capable of" containing, defeating epidemic: NHC People's Daily 31 Jan 2020 -- China is confident in and capable of effectively containing the novel coronavirus epidemic, and eventually defeating it, the National Health Commission said in a statement Friday.
- Hubei official removed for negligence on epidemic treatment capabilities Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- The health commission head for Huanggang, the second most affected coronavirus city in Hubei Province, the epicenter for the virus, was released Thursday due to a lack of knowledge on the city's disease treatment capabilities and resources.
- Virus inflection point could emerge in one month: expert Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- With measures taken to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus, an inflection point is likely to appear within the next one or two incubation periods, according to one expert on Thursday.
- China remains confident in the fight against the coronavirus: official Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- China appreciates the efforts of other countries in helping to combat the novel coronavirus and is confident it will win the battle, a spokesperson from the National Health Commission (NHC) said at a press conference on Thursday.
- China has full confidence, capability to control epidemic: FM Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- China has full confidence and capability to win the fight against the novel coronavirus epidemic, a foreign ministry spokesperson said Friday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list