Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
28 January 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Tibetan Areas of China Confirm 140 Coronavirus Cases Radio Free Asia 28 Jan 2020 -- Four provinces of western and northwestern China historically populated by Tibetans -- Gansu, Qinghai, Sichuan and Yunnan -- have confirmed 140 cases of coronavirus, official media reported Tuesday as the Tibetan capital Lhasa's airport began screening passengers from Wuhan.
- Foreign Office advises against all but essential travel to mainland China UK FCO 28 Jan 2020 -- We have updated our travel advice to mainland China to advise against all but essential travel following the outbreak of coronavirus in Wuhan.
- China slams U.S. provocative acts in South China Sea People's Daily 28 Jan 2020 -- Chinese military monitored a U.S. warship that entered Chinese territorial waters without permission and warned it to leave on Saturday, senior colonel Li Huamin, spokesperson for the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Southern Theater Command, said in a statement on Tuesday.
- Bill to Support Tibet Wins Strong Approval in US House of Representatives Radio Free Asia 28 Jan 2020 -- A bill to strengthen U.S. policy in support of Tibet won strong approval Tuesday by the House of Representatives, a move a Tibetan representative called an "encouraging and empowering" measure for the Himalayan Buddhist region controlled by China for seven decades.
- Fourth coronavirus patient in Shanghai has recovered Global Times 28 Jan 2020 -- A fourth novel coronavirus patient has recovered and was discharged from hospital in Shanghai on Tuesday, which is inspiring and encouraging, said Wu Jinglei, director of Shanghai Health Commission during a press conference in Shanghai on Tuesday afternoon.
- Over 10,000 beds in Wuhan enough to treat current coronavirus cases: official Global Times 28 Jan 2020 -- More than 10,000 beds will soon be available in Wuhan, which are enough to treat the current number of patients infected with the novel coronavirus, Chinese authorities said Tuesday.
- Infection of young children no indication of virus mutation: experts Global Times 28 Jan 2020 -- The rise in the number of children infected with the novel coronavirus does not indicate a new variant of the virus has emerged, but rather greater opportunities to contract the disease from sick family members, said the Chinese disease control authority.
- 'Unnecessary' to evacuate foreigners from China: WHO Global Times 28 Jan 2020 -- The Head of the World Health Organization (WHO) said he is confident in China's capacity to deal with the novel coronavirus outbreak, and plans by some countries to repatriate their citizens are unnecessary.
- China fully confident in winning battle against novel coronavirus: Xi Global Times 28 Jan 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping said Tuesday that China has full confidence and capability to win the battle against the outbreak of pneumonia caused by the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
- WHO chief confident in China's epidemic prevention and control ability People's Daily 28 Jan 2020 -- The chief of the World Health Organization (WHO) Tuesday said the WHO speaks highly of the decisive measures the Chinese government has taken and is confident in China's epidemic prevention and control ability.
- Expert answers 8 key questions on novel coronavirus People's Daily 28 Jan 2020 -- Feng Zijian, deputy director of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, answered questions about the novel coronavirus epidemic during an interview with CCTV on Monday night. Below are excerpts from the interview:
- Wuhan to provide over 10,000 hospital beds for viral pneumonia patients: official People's Daily 28 Jan 2020 -- Wuhan, at the center of a viral pneumonia outbreak, will soon have 10,000 hospital beds reserved for infected patients as Chinese authorities take all means necessary to boost the city's overwhelmed health system.
- China sends 6,000 medics to Hubei in virus fight: official People's Daily 28 Jan 2020 -- China has sent nearly 6,000 medical workers from across the country to Hubei Province in the fight against the novel coronavirus outbreak, a health official said Tuesday.
- China to ensure employment, social security during epidemic prevention period People's Daily 28 Jan 2020 -- China will strengthen social security and ensure employment to prevent and control the spread of pneumonia caused by the novel coronavirus, said the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security.
- Shanghai postpones resumption of work, school openings amid coronavirus outbreak People's Daily 28 Jan 2020 -- Shanghai on Monday postponed the resumption of work and school openings to reduce people gathering and block the spread of the coronavirus epidemic.
- China's State Grid Corporation secures power use in battle against novel coronavirus People's Daily 28 Jan 2020 -- State Grid Corporation of China, the power supplier of over 1.1 billion people in China, has vowed to secure power use to combat the viral pneumonia outbreak.
- China cancels IELTS, TOEFL, GRE tests in February People's Daily 28 Jan 2020 -- China's Ministry of Education announced Monday that English proficiency exams Chinese students take to get enrolled by foreign universities will be cancelled nationwide during February in view of the ongoing novel coronavirus outbreak.
- More Chinese medical teams sent to aid coronavirus control People's Daily 28 Jan 2020 -- More medical teams are rushing to central China's Hubei Province to aid the coronavirus control there.
- Protective goggles, masks arrive in Wuhan People's Daily 28 Jan 2020 -- Twenty thousand pairs of protective goggles and 5,000 medical masks arrived in Wuhan at 8:10 p.m. Monday by air, officials of the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology said.
- China postpones school semester amid novel coronavirus outbreak People's Daily 28 Jan 2020 -- China's Ministry of Education (MOE) announced that the 2020 spring semester for schools will be postponed due to the novel coronavirus outbreak.
- Tibet activates second-level emergency response to prevent virus outbreak People's Daily 28 Jan 2020 -- Southwest China's Tibet Autonomous Region, the only provincial region that hasn't reported any coronavirus cases in China, has activated second-level emergency response to contain the spread of the viral pneumonia.
- China tightens security at railway stations for pneumonia outbreak control People's Daily 28 Jan 2020 -- China's railway police have boosted security measures at railway stations across the country for the prevention and control of the pneumonia outbreak caused by the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
- New coronavirus spreading fast, killing more people in China Press TV 28 Jan 2020 -- Over 105 people are confirmed dead as a result of contacting the new coronavirus in China, and more than 4,500 others have been infected in the country.
- Hong Kong Partially Closes Border With Mainland China As Virus Deaths Mount Radio Free Asia 28 Jan 2020 -- Authorities in Hong Kong on Tuesday shut down rail connections from mainland China on Tuesday as the number of deaths in the Wuhan coronavirus epidemic passed 100.
- Confirmed Xinjiang Coronavirus Cases Jump to 10 Amid Concerns of Spread in Internment Camps Radio Free Asia 28 Jan 2020 -- A virus traced back to China's Hubei province has infected 10 people in the country's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR), where experts warned that poor conditions at internment camps could lead to an epidemic after authorities confirmed the first two cases in the region last week.
- Firm Quarantines 3,000 Chinese Workers at Indonesian Plant over Coronavirus Fears Radio Free Asia 28 Jan 2020 -- A Chinese-controlled firm said Tuesday it had quarantined all 3,000 of its Chinese employees who work at an industrial complex in Indonesia's Central Sulawesi province, amid fears that the new coronavirus could spread here after hundreds of new workers arrived from China last week.
- Kyrgyz Students Return Home From China, Being Checked For Coronavirus RFE/RL 28 Jan 2020 -- Kyrgyzstan says six university students have returned home from neighboring China and are going through medical checks, as governments scramble to control the spread of a new coronavirus that has killed more than 100 people in China.
- China Asked To Allow Kazakh Students To Leave Locked-Down City RFE/RL 28 Jan 2020 -- Kazakhstan's government says it has asked Beijing to allow 98 Kazakh students to leave the city of Wuhan, the epicenter of a virus outbreak that has killed more than 100 people.
- Deaths Rise To 132 In China Virus Outbreak As Foreigners Airlifted RFE/RL 28 Jan 2020 -- There are 5,974 confirmed cases nationwide in China of a dangerous new virus from which 132 people have died as of January 28, the country's National Health Commission said.
- India Begins Process to Evacuate Nationals Affected by China's Coronavirus Outbreak Sputnik 28 Jan 2020 -- The deadly Novel Coronavirus, which drew public attention less than a month ago in China, is spreading in countries across the globe, with a total number of confirmed cases globally reaching 2,014 including 1,985 in China.
- Coronavirus Peak to Hit China in 7-10 Days - China's National Health Commission Sputnik 28 Jan 2020 -- The new strain of coronavirus was originally reported in the Chinese city of Wuhan last December. Despite efforts to contain the disease, cases have already been reported in various countries across the globe.
- China Possesses Means and Resources to Fight New Coronavirus - Foreign Ministry Sputnik 28 Jan 2020 -- Chinese authorities earlier stated that the number of registered cases of the new coronavirus across the entire nation had increased to 4,515, and placed the current death toll at 106.
- Philippines Temporarily Suspends Arrival Tourist Visas For Chinese Citizens Sputnik 28 Jan 2020 -- The measure is reportedly aimed to stop the spread of a new Chinese coronavirus, dubbed 2019-nCoV, as fourteen people are already quarantined in the Philippines for suspected exposure to the deadly infection which has claimed at least 106 lives in China.
- Germany Reports 3 More Cases of Chinese Coronavirus - Officials Sputnik 28 Jan 2020 -- The first German case was confirmed late on Monday in the state of Bavaria, with a patient reportedly infected by a Chinese woman. According to Bavaria's infectious diseases task force, the patient was placed under quarantine and medical supervision.
- Hong Kong Scientist Warns Coronavirus Could Infect 150,000 People Per Day Sputnik 28 Jan 2020 -- A well-known scientist in Hong Kong has warned that the deadly coronavirus rapidly spreading throughout China could infect as many as 150,000 people per day in China's Chongqing municipality in the next few months.
- Outbreak Death Toll Rises to 132, as China's Xi Vows to Defeat 'Devil' Coronavirus VOA 28 Jan 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jingping vowed the country will conquer the fight against a "devil" coronavirus outbreak that has killed 132 people and sickened thousands in China and around the globe.
- WHO Warns Visitors Evacuated from China Could Spread Coronavirus VOA 28 Jan 2020 -- The World Health Organization warns the evacuation of nationals from China to their home countries carries the risk of spreading the deadly coronavirus. The WHO reports 4,428 cases of the disease in China, including 106 deaths. Another 45 cases are confirmed in 13 countries.
- Death Toll in China Coronavirus Outbreak Now Over 100 VOA 28 Jan 2020 -- The United States, Japan and other countries are sending planes to evacuate their citizens out of the central Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicenter of the global coronavirus outbreak that has now killed 106 people.
- US Health Officials Urge More Cooperation from China on Virus VOA 28 Jan 2020 -- U.S. health officials are urging China to share more information on how the novel coronavirus that emerged in Wuhan is spreading.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list