Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
27 January 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- British nationals in Hubei Province: Foreign Office statement UK FCO 27 Jan 2020 -- The Foreign & Commonwealth Office has issued an update to British nationals living in Hubei Province, China following the outbreak of Wuhan coronavirus.
- Harvard University Professor and Two Chinese Nationals Charged in Three Separate China Related Cases US Dept. of Justice 28 Jan 2020 -- The Department of Justice announced today that the Chair of Harvard University's Chemistry and Chemical Biology Department and two Chinese nationals have been charged in connection with aiding the People's Republic of China.
- Shanghai outlines steps taken to combat novel coronavirus outbreak in China Global Times 27 Jan 2020 -- Shanghai municipal government briefed media on its prevention and control of the novel coronavirus on Monday afternoon.
- Hubei suspends passport application to curb coronavirus outbreak Global Times 27 Jan 2020 -- The exit and entry department in central China's Hubei Province has suspended the services for the application of ordinary passports and exit-entry permits and endorsements for Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan to better control the spread of pneumonia caused by the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
- China confident in ability to handle novel coronavirus outbreak: FM Global Times 27 Jan 2020 -- The Chinese government is taking resolute and effective measures to effectively prevent and control the novel coronavirus epidemic though scientific approaches and maintaining close cooperation with the World Health Organization and other international partners.
- Wuhan mayor ready to resign if it helps to contain coronavirus epidemic Global Times 27 Jan 2020 -- Wuhan Mayor Zhou Xianwang said that he and the city's Party secretary are willing to resign if it helps to contain the novel coronavirus which originated from the city and had infected 2,744 and killed 80 as of Sunday midnight.
- Chinese health authority urges strict grassroots-level epidemic prevention measures amid Wuhan coronavirus outbreak Global Times 27 Jan 2020 -- With the number of people infected with the novel coronavirus in China soaring to 2,744 as of Sunday midnight, with 461 in critical condition and 80 dead, the key prevention task now is to prevent the spread of the epidemic and track down migrant people, the National Health Commission (NHC) said in a daily briefing on Monday morning.
- China reports 2,744 confirmed cases of new coronavirus pneumonia, 80 deaths People's Daily 27 Jan 2020 -- Chinese health authorities announced Monday that 2,744 confirmed cases of pneumonia caused by the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV), including 461 in critical conditions, had been reported in the country by the end of Sunday.
- UN health agency team in China to strengthen partnership on coronavirus response UN News 27 Jan 2020 -- The head of the UN World Health Organization (WHO) is in China to discuss the novel coronavirus outbreak with senior Government officials.
- Health Workers in Wuhan Under Growing Risk as Medical Supplies Run Low VOA 27 Jan 2020 -- Hospitals in and around the center of China's coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan say they are running so low on medical supplies that doctors and nurses have been asked to wear substandard masks or diapers so that they wouldn't have to change protective suits so frequently.
- Trump Offers China 'Any Help' to Fight Coronavirus VOA 27 Jan 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has offered China any help needed to combat a deadly outbreak of a coronavirus that has killed 81 people.
- Chinese Premier Visits Wuhan as Virus Death Toll Hits 80 VOA 27 Jan 2020 -- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang visited the city of Wuhan on Monday to meet with health officials and examine the response to the outbreak of a coronavirus that has killed 80 people.
- Cambodia Latest Regional Neighbor to Confirm Case of Coronavirus Traced to China's Wuhan City Radio Free Asia 27 Jan 2020 -- Cambodia became the latest country to confirm a case of coronavirus on Monday, announcing that a Chinese national in the coastal city of Sihanoukville has been infected in the outbreak that has been traced to Wuhan city, in central China's Hubei province.
- Vigilantism Takes Hold in Central China as Coronavirus Death Toll Rises Radio Free Asia 27 Jan 2020 -- Residents of areas surrounding the virus-hit Chinese province of Hubei have walled off streets and highways with bricks and other obstructions in a bid to stop people fleeing areas worst-hit by the epidemic, as the death toll from the coronavirus passed 80 on Monday.
- In Tibetan Areas of China, New Infections Appear Radio Free Asia 27 Jan 2020 -- Confirmed cases of coronavirus infection have begun to climb in Tibetan areas of China, with three cases now reported in northwestern China's Qinghai province and two in the Kardze (in Chinese, Ganzi) prefecture of neighboring Sichuan, Chinese media sources say.
- China Cracks Down on Debts to Workers And Private Firms Radio Free Asia 27 Jan 2020 -- China's government has renewed pressure on state-owned enterprises to pay their debts to private businesses and migrant workers, shining a light on what amounts to a hidden subsidy.
- China's Energy Options Narrow as Mideast Risks Rise Radio Free Asia 27 Jan 2020 -- The threat of conflict between the United States and Iran will pressure China to deal with its rising reliance on foreign oil and gas after years of unchecked growth, analysts say.
- Xi: Rely on people to win battle against epidemic PLA Daily 27 Jan 2020 -- China must rely on the people to win the battle against the novel coronavirus epidemic, President Xi Jinping said Monday.
- PLA gives full support to civil efforts to win anti-virus battle PLA Daily 27 Jan 2020 -- A train loaded with the first batch of emergency medical supplies allocated by the Chinese military from Shenyang of Liaoning Province and Heze of Shandong Province arrived at the Hankou railway station in Wuhan, Hubei Province on Sunday morning. These emergency medical supplies included 10000 sets of class-C protective clothing and 3760 bottles of ethyl alcohol.
- China virus toll rises; foreign states trying to evacuate nationals from epicenter Wuhan Press TV 27 Jan 2020 -- The death toll from the outbreak of a new coronavirus in China has surpassed 80, with authorities in Beijing warning that the mysterious virus is "getting stronger" despite unprecedented quarantine measures and travel lockdowns.
- Wuhan Authorities Closing City Borders Until End of Month Amid Coronavirus Outbreak Sputnik 27 Jan 2020 -- Chinese citizens will not be allowed to enter or leave the city of Wuhan, where the current coronavirus outbreak started, until the end of the month, the city's migration authorities said in a statement on Monday.
- First New Coronavirus Death Registered in Beijing Sputnik 27 Jan 2020 -- The first death caused by a new coronavirus was registered in the Chinese capital of Beijing, the local healthcare committee said Monday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list