Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
22 January 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- WHO Experts Postpone Decision on Coronavirus as a Global Risk VOA 22 Jan 2020 -- Experts meeting in emergency session at the World Health Organization have been unable to agree on the global health risks of the new coronavirus, which has sickened more than 500 people and caused at least 17 deaths. The experts have decided to continue their discussions Thursday.
- UN health emergency committee to re-convene on global threat posed by coronavirus UN News 22 Jan 2020 -- Experts convened in Geneva by the World Health Organization (WHO) will meet again on Thursday to determine whether novel coronavirus is a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC).
- Taiwan bans entry of visitors from Wuhan on coronavirus fears CNA 22 Jan 2020 -- Taiwan's Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said Wednesday that visitors from Wuhan will not be permitted to enter Taiwan for the time being, as the government is seeking to prevent the spread of a deadly new coronavirus that originated in the central China city.
- President urges China to share Wuhan virus information CNA 22 Jan 2020 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) called on China Wednesday to inform Taiwan about the spread of a deadly new coronavirus in the Chinese city of Wuhan and said the World Health Organization (WHO) should not exclude Taiwan from the global efforts to contain the virus.
- New coronavirus linked to wildlife: Chinese official CNA 22 Jan 2020 -- A new type of coronavirus that has killed nine people and infected more than 440, mainly in China, is believed to have jumped to humans from wild animals sold at a market in Wuhan City, a Chinese health official said Wednesday in Beijing.
- Wuhan fights pneumonia battle Global Times 22 Jan 2020 -- As the whole world raises concerns over the spread of the coronavirus with the number of confirmed cases increasing, local residents in Wuhan, Central China's Hubei Province where the epidemic began, remained on high alert in the fight against the pneumonia with caution and optimism.
- China makes efforts against cross-region, cross-border spread of coronavirus Global Times 22 Jan 2020 -- China has launched a string of measures and strengthened international cooperation and information sharing to lower the risk of cross-region and cross-border spreading of the new coronavirus, national health authority said on Wednesday.
- Residents of Tibet Return Home to Escape Wuhan Virus Radio Free Asia 22 Jan 2020 -- Residents of Tibet now traveling in mainland China are returning home to escape the spread of the Wuhan coronavirus, which has killed at least 17 people with more than 540 reported infected and is spreading more widely every day, a Tibetan visiting Shanghai told RFA this week.
- Wuhan Activist Dies of Pneumonia, Contacts Not Offered Isolation, Care Radio Free Asia 22 Jan 2020 -- Veteran environmentalist Xu Dapeng has died of a respiratory disease with symptoms similar to the Wuhan coronavirus, 10 days after a similar illness took his wife.
- China's Wuhan City Closes as Number of Virus Cases, Deaths Rises Radio Free Asia 22 Jan 2020 -- China on Wednesday reported hundreds more cases and 17 deaths from the new coronavirus traced to the central city of Wuhan, Hubei province, which has now closed all transport links into and out of the city, with officials warning that the virus could mutate.
- WHO Praises China's Anti-Virus Efforts, May Declare Global Emergency RFE/RL 22 Jan 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) has praised the commitment of authorities in China to "minimize" risks of the spread of the deadly coronavirus, a day ahead of a decision by the UN agency on whether to declare a rare global emergency over the outbreak.
- Residents of China's Wuhan Banned From Leaving City Over Coronavirus Outbreak - Reports Sputnik 22 Jan 2020 -- The government of the Chinese city of Wuhan, where the new coronavirus originates from, is imposing a temporary ban on local residents to leave the city, to prevent virus spreading, local media reported on Wednesday.
- Myanmar's Ethnic Political Parties See Little Local Benefit From China-Backed Projects Radio Free Asia 22 Jan 2020 -- Some of Myanmar's ethnic political parties on Wednesday expressed concern over potential negative impacts of China's planned multibillion-dollar mega-projects in their regions, days after the two countries' leaders signed more than 30 memorandums of understanding regarding the deals.
- Australia denies using Chinese spy case to influence Taiwan elections CNA 22 Jan 2020 -- The Australian representative office in Taipei said Tuesday that its government's disclosure of a case involving a self-confessed spy from China, who was seeking asylum in Canberra late last year, was not aimed at influencing Taiwan's general elections, as has been alleged.
- China's space-tracking vessels back from missions PLA Daily 22 Jan 2020 -- Space-tracking ship Yuanwang 3 and Yuanwang 7 returned to the port of the China Satellite Maritime Tracking and Controlling Department after completing three monitoring missions, the Science and Technology Daily reported Wednesday.
- China Slams US for 'Spreading Rumors' About BRI Investments in Pakistan VOA 22 Jan 2020 -- China has defended its infrastructure development investments in Pakistan as "open and transparent," refuting renewed U.S. criticism of the ongoing multibillion-dollar economic collaboration under Beijing's global Belt and Road Initiative (BRI).
- Strictest measures enacted to contain viral pneumonia People's Daily 22 Jan 2020 -- Chinese health authorities are adopting the strictest prevention and control measures for the new strain of coronavirus that has caused a pneumonia outbreak in Wuhan, Hubei province, as the pathogen continues to spread.
- China at "crucial stage" to control novel coronavirus, experts say People's Daily 22 Jan 2020 -- Faced with the fast-changing situation of the novel coronavirus outbreak, China is at a crucial stage to prevent and control the spread of the virus, according to Chinese experts.
- China starts 2020 military conscription of female soldiers PLA Daily 22 Jan 2020 -- China has started this year's military recruitment of female soldiers, mainly among college students, according to the Ministry of National Defense.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list