Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
21 January 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Tsai could consider meeting with Xi on equal basis CNA 21 Jan 2020 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said Monday she could consider meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) as long as the two met on an equal footing.
- China to curb spread of new coronavirus-related pneumonia Global Times 21 Jan 2020 -- China will take further steps to control the new coronavirus-related pneumonia, and the disease will be put under management as an infectious disease in accordance with law, as was decided at the State Council's executive meeting chaired by Premier Li Keqiang on Monday.
- Wuhan establishes headquarters for pneumonia control Global Times 21 Jan 2020 -- Wuhan, capital of central China's Hubei Province, has established headquarters for the control and treatment of the pneumonia caused by the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
- Wuhan pneumonia response reflects progress in China's system Global Times 21 Jan 2020 -- The latest pneumonia outbreak in Wuhan, Central China's Hubei Province, is a test of China's system.
- Wuhan to see reduced population mobility as pneumonia spreads Global Times 21 Jan 2020 -- Multiple airlines and travel platforms have announced refund or rebooking policies for customers who planned to travel into or out of Wuhan, Central China's Hubei Province. The province confirmed 270 patients with the pneumonia caused by the novel coronavirus as of 9:00 pm on Tuesday, the People's Daily reported.
- Coronavirus battle at full-scale Global Times 21 Jan 2020 -- Strictest control measures deployed in China to curb spread of pneumonia Human-to-human transmission of the new coronavirus was confirmed Tuesday as the death toll rose to six in Chinese mainland and the nation's health authorities stepped up efforts ahead of the Spring Festival travel rush, the world's largest scale human migration.
- WHO: New Coronavirus Expected to Spread in China and Abroad VOA 21 Jan 2020 -- The World Health Organization says the new coronavirus is likely to spread in China and other countries and is urging governments to implement preventive infection control measures in health facilities. The WHO confirms 278 cases of the disease, including six deaths, two in China and the other four in Thailand, Japan and South Korea.
- All-out efforts ordered to curb spread of virus People's Daily 21 Jan 2020 -- President Xi Jinping urged resolute efforts on Monday to contain the spread of pneumonia cases caused by a new strain of coronavirus as cases of the contagion rose to 224, all but six of them confirmed, as of 8 pm on Monday.
- Death toll from China's mystery virus rises to 6 Press TV 21 Jan 2020 -- The death toll from the outbreak of a new SARS-like virus in China has increased to six, Chinese authorities say.
- Police in China's Wuhan Move to Quash 'Rumors' About Virus Outbreak Radio Free Asia 21 Jan 2020 -- Authorities in the central Chinese city of Wuhan have summoned and questioned eight people for allegedly posting "rumors" about the outbreak of viral pneumonia in the city, as experts warned the epidemic has likely spread much further than reports currently indicate.
- Death Toll From New Type of Coronavirus in China's Wuhan Reaches Six - City Mayor Sputnik 21 Jan 2020 -- The death toll from the new type of coronavirus in China's Wuhan, Hubei province, has reached six, 227 people are still in hospitals under the supervision of doctors, city mayor Zhou Xianwang said Tuesday.
- Indonesia Fights Growing Pressure from China to Let it Use Use Disputed Waters VOA 21 Jan 2020 -- China is raising pressure on Indonesia over rights to use a contested tract of sea and challenging the militarily weaker Southeast Asian country to consider options from friendly dialogue to strong protests.
- Kazakh Court Rules That Two Ethnic Kazakhs Will Not Be Deported To China RFE/RL 21 Jan 2020 -- A court in Kazakhstan has ruled that two ethnic-Kazakh men from China's northwestern region of Xinjiang who are on trial for illegally crossing the border in October will not be deported to China.
- Xinjiang gets border patrol drones for better missions Global Times 21 Jan 2020 -- The People's Liberation Army (PLA) Xinjiang Military Command are using modified drones to conduct border patrol missions, as military experts said on Tuesday the drone technology is being popularized across Chinese military services.
- Xi urges military to focus on improving capabilities PLA Daily 21 Jan 2020 -- Xi Jinping, chairman of the Central Military Commission, has signed an order for releasing the trial regulation on military supervision work.
- China, Tanzania conclude "Sincere Partners 2019" joint military training PLA Daily 21 Jan 2020 -- The 25-day-long China-Tanzania joint military training, code-named "Sincere Partners 2019", concluded at a comprehensive training center in Dar city of Tanzania on the afternoon of January 16, 2020.
- China's ex-Interpol chief sentenced to 13.5 years over graft, abuse of power Press TV 21 Jan 2020 -- A Chinese court has sentenced former Interpol chief Meng Hongwei to 13 years and six months in prison on graft and other charges.
- Former Interpol head sentenced to imprisonment for accepting bribery Global Times 21 Jan 2020 -- The former Chinese public security vice minister and former Interpol chief Meng Hongwei, detained in 2018, has been sentenced to 13 years and six months in prison for accepting bribes.
- Six Months After Yuen Long Attack, Victims Sue Hong Kong Police Radio Free Asia 21 Jan 2020 -- Hong Kong protesters on Tuesday marked six months since a bloody attack on train passengers and bystanders by white-shirted triad-linked thugs wielding batons inside Yuen Long MTR station, as eight victims of the attack sued the city's chief of police.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list