Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
16 January 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- China President Xi's Visit to Myanmar Raises Economic Hopes, Political Concerns Radio Free Asia 16 Jan 2020 -- President Xi Jinping will begin the first state visit by a Chinese leader to Myanmar in 19 years Friday, a trip expected to offer political and economic support for the Southeast Asian nation which has become estranged from leading Western states over accusations of genocide in its expulsion of Rohingya Muslims.
- China-Myanmar energy projects going full steam Global Times 16 Jan 2020 -- Crude oil and gas projects between China and Myanmar have played a significant role in diversifying China's energy import sources and elevating the economic development of Myanmar as well as the whole Southeast Asian region, high-level executives from China and Myanmar told the Global Times on Thursday.
- Former Kazakh Minister Accused In Deadly Protests Named Head Of State Guard Service RFE/RL 16 Jan 2020 -- Former Kazakh Interior Minister Qalmukhanbet Qasymov, whom rights defenders accuse of ordering police to open fire at a protest by oil workers, has become the chief of the Central Asian nation's State Guard Service.
- Court Rules That Ethnic Kazakh Will Not Be Deported To China RFE/RL 16 Jan 2020 -- A court in Kazakhstan has ruled that an ethnic-Kazakh man from China's northwestern region of Xinjiang who is on trial for illegally crossing the border will not be deported to China.
- China Announces Second Death From Wuhan Pneumonia Virus Radio Free Asia 16 Jan 2020 -- Authorities in the central Chinese city of Wuhan have announced the death of a 69-year-old man from a coronavirus that causes pneumonia, bringing the total number of fatalities to two after 41 cases were confirmed in the city.
- Japan Confirms Case of Coronavirus Behind Outbreak in China VOA 16 Jan 2020 -- Japan has confirmed its first case of a strain of a coronavirus that has killed one man and sickened 41 others in China since last month.
- Adhering to 1992 Consensus unshakable foundation for peaceful, stable cross-Strait ties: spokesman Global Times 16 Jan 2020 -- Adhering to the 1992 Consensus that embodies the one-China principle is the unshakable foundation for the peaceful and stable development of relations between the two sides of the Taiwan Strait, a mainland spokesperson said Wednesday.
- U.S. - PRC Defense Policy Coordination Talk DoD 16 Jan 2020 -- United States' and People's Republic of China (PRC) defense officials met in Beijing on January 14, 2020, for the 15th U.S.-China Defense Policy Coordination Talks.
- China increases military recruitment frequency, aims to keep high vigilance Global Times 16 Jan 2020 -- China will increase the frequency of its military recruitment and retirement to twice a year, up from once, starting 2020, to maintain a smooth flow of troops, the military's high vigilance and to better train new recruits.
- China's military to recruit twice a year from 2020 People's Daily 16 Jan 2020 -- China will change its military conscription from once a year to twice a year, starting from 2020, according to a statement from a teleconference on the recruitment work on Thursday in Beijing.
- Chinese Rocket Force exercise ensures nuclear counterattack capability Global Times 16 Jan 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Rocket Force has conducted a nuclear attack survival exercise where troops in an underground missile facility had to endure extreme conditions and make sure they could still launch nuclear counterattacks.
- Chinese, Philippine Coast Guards hold joint exercise to achieve interoperability at sea PLA Daily 16 Jan 2020 -- The Chinese and Philippine Coast Guard ships on Wednesday held their first joint maritime exercise on search and rescue and combating fire at sea in waters off Manila in the South China Sea, according to the report by BenarNews on Jan.15.
- Hong Kong Regulator Quashes Report on Police Use of Force Against Protesters Radio Free Asia 16 Jan 2020 -- Hong Kong's police supervisory body on Thursday quashed a long-awaited report into the handling of the pro-democracy and anti-extradition protests, as the city's leader says there has been no police brutality in recent months.
- China Applauds Trade Deal With US But Says 'Core Concerns' Must Still Be Addressed VOA 16 Jan 2020 -- The Chinese government is applauding an interim trade agreement with the United States but cautions the two countries must still address key issues of mutual concern.
- China, US ink initial accord to ease trade People's Daily 16 Jan 2020 -- China and the United States signed the long-awaited phase-one trade deal on Thursday morning Beijing Time, signaling a thaw in economic and trade relations between the world's two largest economies after nearly two years of trade friction.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list