Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
14 January 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Letpadaung Farmers Clamor For Compensation For Land Lost to Chinese Mining Project in Myanmar Radio Free Asia 14 Jan 2020 -- Villagers who live in a copper mining area of northwestern Myanmar's Sagaing region said Monday that previous recommendations by a parliamentary commission about a Chinese-backed mine project have yet to be implemented, and that the company has failed to pay them fair compensation for land they forfeited for the project.
- China's Coast Guard Chief Arrives in the Philippines for Bilateral Talks Radio Free Asia 14 Jan 2020 -- China's coast guard chief has arrived in Manila to lead a delegation for tabletop exercises and bilateral talks with their Philippine counterparts aimed at coordinating each other's operations in the disputed South China Sea, officials said Tuesday.
- China's role to be significant for Korean Peninsula's denuclearization: S. Korean president Global Times 14 Jan 2020 -- China's role has been and will be very significant in denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula and building a permanent peace on the peninsula, South Korean President Moon Jae-in said on Tuesday.
- 2020 ELECTIONS / Hong Kong protests a key factor in election results: scholars CNA 14 Jan 2020 -- The Hong Kong protests were a key factor impacting the results of the recent presidential and legislative elections in Taiwan, local scholars have said.
- Prague, Taipei Sign Sister-City Deal as Shanghai Cuts Ties in Response Radio Free Asia 14 Jan 2020 -- The mayor of the Czech capital has signed a sister-city agreement with Taiwan's capital Taipei, rejecting China as "an unreliable partner" in the wake of President Tsai Ing-wen's election victory at the weekend.
- China-Pakistan Sea Guardians 2020 exercise concludes second-phase drills PLA Daily 14 Jan 2020 -- As the last cleat hitch of China's guided-missile frigate Yuncheng (Hull 571) was tied to the dock at 3 p.m. on January 13, all naval ships of the Chinese fleet participating in the PN-PLAN Bilateral Exercise, code-named Sea Guardians-2020, have returned to Karachi Port, Pakistan, marking the successful completion of the maritime phase of the bilateral exercise.
- Sea Guardians 2020 China-Pakistan joint naval exercise wraps up in Karachi PLA Daily 14 Jan 2020 -- The nine-day Sea Guardians 2020 China-Pakistan joint naval exercise wrapped up at the Pakistan Navy's Dockyard in Karachi on January 14. The participating troops from the two navies worked in a coordinated and integrated way to complete all subjects and achieved the expected goals.
- Separatists will remain notorious in history: Chinese FM PLA Daily 14 Jan 2020 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi told reporters here on Monday during his visit to Africa that the governments and leaders of the African countries he visited clearly stated that they adhere to the one-China principle and clearly pointed out that Taiwan is an integral part of China.
- Hong Kong 'facing unprecedented challenges over high number of arrests' Press TV 14 Jan 2020 -- Hong Kong's leader says the high number of arrests during months of anti-government protests in the city has created "unprecedented challenges" for its courts.
- Mainland, Macao step up judicial assistance cooperation Global Times 14 Jan 2020 -- The Chinese mainland and Macao Tuesday signed a revised version of an arrangement on the mutual service of documents and obtaining evidence in handling civil and commercial cases.
- HRW Executive Director Sounds Alarm on China's Assault on Human Rights VOA 14 Jan 2020 -- The head of Human Rights Watch said Tuesday that China has launched an assault on the international human rights system, and governments need to resist Beijing's actions.
- Final Type 056 corvette wraps up production Global Times 14 Jan 2020 -- China has reportedly completed work on its final coastal defensive Type 056 corvette, military analysts said on Monday that bigger warships for high sea operations could be the new focus.
- US drops currency manipulation charge against China Global Times 14 Jan 2020 -- The United States has dropped its designation of China as a currency manipulator, according to a report from the US Treasury Department released Monday.
- US Treasury Drops Currency Manipulator Designation for China Sputnik 14 Jan 2020 -- The decision comes as both countries move towards improving trade relations and sealing the Phase One trade agreement on Wednesday. To that end, Chinese Vice Premier Liu He, the head of the country's negotiating team in US-China trade talks, is slated to stay in Washington from Monday to Wednesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list