Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
13 January 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- 20 years' development of the Shenzhou spacecraft People's Daily 13 Jan 2020 -- Shenzhou-1, China's first unmanned test spacecraft, was launched on Nov. 20, 1999, marking a breakthrough in China's space program.
- China likely to increase pressure against Taiwan: analysts CNA 13 Jan 2020 -- China is likely to increase its pressure on Taiwan on many fronts as a result of Saturday's presidential and legislative elections, foreign and local analysts who observed the polls said at a workshop Sunday afternoon.
- Cross-Straits situation needs pragmatism Global Times 13 Jan 2020 -- Taiwan regional leader Tsai Ing-wen won by a landslide in the island's regional leadership elections, and her Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) took more than half of the "legislative" seats. We should interpret Taiwan's public opinion objectively to make sure our overall understanding of the Taiwan society is accurate.
- China slams US, other states for congratulating Tawain's Tsai on election win Press TV 13 Jan 2020 -- Beijing has slammed the United States and other states for breaching the 'One China' policy by offering congratulations to President Tsai Ing-wen of self-ruled Taiwan on her re-election.
- Chinese Official Says Taiwan Election Brings '10,000-Year Stink' of Separatism Radio Free Asia 13 Jan 2020 -- After Taiwan president Tsai Ing-wen swept to a landslide victory in Saturday's general elections, China said on Monday that the democratic island's "separatists" would "leave a 10,000-year stink."
- China Relations Stumble after Beijing Skeptic Wins Reelection in Taiwan VOA 13 Jan 2020 -- Taiwan's ever-testy relations with China stumbled again after a Beijing skeptic was reelected to the presidency and her party grabbed a legislative majority Saturday, but analysts and officials in Taipei say this dip won't go as deep as others.
- Chinese Woman Diagnosed with Coronavirus in Thailand Radio Free Asia 13 Jan 2020 -- A Chinese woman traveling to Thailand from the central Chinese city of Wuhan was confirmed to be infected with a new strain of coronavirus and treated near Bangkok in the first reported case outside China, the Thai public health minister said Monday.
- UN health agency urges China to continue search for source of new virus, as Thailand case emerges UN News 13 Jan 2020 -- It is "essential" for China to continue investigating the source of a previously unknown strain of coronavirus, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared on Monday, following confirmation that an infected patient is being treated in Thailand.
- HK ban on HRW head 'fair, reasonable move' Global Times 13 Jan 2020 -- The latest decision to reject the entry of a US-based nongovernmental organization (NGO) executive director won't be the last to show China has been taking countermeasures against external forces, which had interfered in the country's internal affairs like Hong Kong. It also reflects the strong determination of the Chinese central government and Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government to restore order in the protest-stricken city by protecting its core interests.
- Hong Kong Denies Entry to Rights Group Chief For 'Inciting Violence, Separatism' Radio Free Asia 13 Jan 2020 -- Hong Kong immigration authorities on Sunday refused entry to the head of a New York-based rights group ahead of the release of a major human rights report, prompting renewed concerns over deteriorating civil rights and freedoms in the city.
- HRW Director: China's Respect for Human Rights on 'Downward Trajectory' VOA 13 Jan 2020 -- The executive director of Human Rights Watch, Kenneth Roth, says China's decision to deny him entry into Hong Kong shows "the downward trajectory of Beijing's respect for human rights."
- Xi stresses strengthening checks, oversight over exercise of power Global Times 13 Jan 2020 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, stressed strengthening checks and oversight over the exercise of power as he demanded consistency in full and strict governance over the Party.
- Xi stresses anti-graft work Global Times 13 Jan 2020 -- General Secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee Xi Jinping on Monday stressed upholding and improving the Party and state supervisory systems to ensure the Party's line and policies are faithfully followed.
- Chinese Navy Commissions Asia's Largest Missile Cruiser Sputnik 13 Jan 2020 -- The Chinese navy is now in possession of the largest missile destroyer in Asia and the second-largest in the world, following the commission of the Type 055 destroyer Nanchang on Sunday.
- China urges countries to abide by one-China principle after Taiwan leadership election People's Daily 13 Jan 2020 -- China opposes any forms of official ties between Taiwan and countries that have diplomatic relations with China, a Foreign Ministry spokesperson said Sunday, urging countries to abide by the one-China principle.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list