Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
12 January 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Tibet government first in China to legislate ethnic unity guarantee Global Times 12 Jan 2020 -- The government of Southwest China's Tibet legislated to guarantee ethnic unity for the first time at the ongoing 3rd Session of the 11th People's Congress of Tibet on Saturday, reflecting the significant role of ethnic unity in the region's economic and social development, said experts.
- 2020 ELECTIONS / China asked to respect Taiwan's election results CNA 12 Jan 2020 -- Taiwan's top government agency handling cross-strait affairs, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC), on Saturday called on Beijing to respect Taiwan's election results and return to the right path of benevolent interactions between the two sides of the Taiwan Strait.
- Tsai urged to be more pragmatic Global Times 12 Jan 2020 -- After Taiwan's incumbent regional leader Tsai Ing-wen swept a landslide victory in the island's regional elections on Saturday, senior officials from the UK and the US sent out congratulations with an intention of continuously playing "Taiwan card" in containing the Chinese mainland. However, Chinese mainland officials and analysts reiterated that any separatist attempts are doomed to fail.
- China opposes certain countries' congratulatory messages on Taiwan regional elections: FM Global Times 12 Jan 2020 -- China on Sunday expressed strong opposition to senior officials from countries having diplomatic ties with China who sent congratulations to re-elected Tsai Ing-wen. Taiwan elections are a sub-national affair in China, and the move by those officials violates the one-China principle, Chinese foreign ministry said.
- China's top radar institute awarded for classified, advanced project Global Times 12 Jan 2020 -- China's top radar development institute was recently awarded a national prize for a classified, advanced project, as experts hailed China's radar industry on Sunday as a top player in the world.
- Beijing says Taiwan still part of 'one China' Press TV 12 Jan 2020 -- China says its policy regarding Taiwan will not change, following the reelection of anti-China Tsai Ing-wen as the self-ruled island's president for a second time.
- Chinese Navy commissions first Type 055 destroyer Global Times 12 Jan 2020 -- China's first 10,000 ton-class Type 055 guided-missile destroyer, which is expected to accompany aircraft carriers in battle groups, was officially commissioned into the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy on Sunday.
- China's first Type 055 destroyer Nanchang commissioned PLA Daily 12 Jan 2020 -- The Nanchang, China's first Type 055 guided-missile destroyer, was commissioned in the People's Liberation Army Navy on Sunday morning in the port city of Qingdao, east China's Shandong Province.
- China can maintain one-China principle Global Times 12 Jan 2020 -- Some senior diplomats of Western countries, including the US and the UK, congratulated Taiwan regional leader Tsai Ing-wen and her Democratic Progressive Party on their victory in the island's regional leadership and legislative elections.
- Hundreds in Hong Kong Cheer Taiwan Pro-Democrats' Election Win VOA 12 Jan 2020 -- Hundreds of people rallied in Hong Kong Sunday in support of the Chinese territory's pro-democracy movement.
- China urges int'l community to continue adhering to one-China principle Global Times 12 Jan 2020 -- The foreign ministry on Sunday urged the international community to continue abiding by the one-China principle after the Taiwan leadership election.
- Chinese mainland's policy toward Taiwan clear, consistent: spokesperson Global Times 12 Jan 2020 -- Chinese mainland's policy toward Taiwan is clear and consistent, a spokesperson said Saturday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list