Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
06 January 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- China Says Mystery Viral Pneumonia Outbreak in Wuhan Isn't SARS Radio Free Asia 06 Jan 2020 -- Confirmed cases of a mystery virus causing atypical pneumonia have continued to grow as authorities in the central Chinese city of Wuhan ruled out Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, or SARS.
- Indonesia will not Negotiate Natuna Sovereignty, President Says Radio Free Asia 06 Jan 2020 -- Indonesia's sovereignty over waters off the Natuna Islands cannot be negotiated, President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo said Monday, after local media reported that Chinese ships, which had entered Jakarta's Exclusive Economic Zone in the South China Sea, were refusing to leave.
- Indonesia Boosts Patrols Near Natuna Islands, as Row with China Escalates Radio Free Asia 06 Jan 2020 -- Indonesia is boosting patrols in its maritime territory in the South China Sea after incursions by Chinese coast guard and fishing boats in recent days.
- Pakistan, China hold 6th joint Navy exercises IRNA 06 Jan 2020 -- The sixth joint exercises of Pakistan and Chinese naval forces began on Monday.
- Sea-Guardians-2020: China, Pakistan Kick Off Major Naval Exercise on West Coast of India Sputnik 06 Jan 2020 -- Lawmakers who support Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido gathered at the editorial office of a local newspaper and voted to "re-elect" him as speaker of the National Assembly, the Venezuelan parliament, following the election of pro-Maduro lawmaker Luis Parra to the position.
- China, Pakistan hold joint naval exercises in North Arabian Sea Global Times 06 Jan 2020 -- China and Pakistan kicked off a nine-day joint naval exercise in the North Arabian Sea on Monday, a move that will boost cooperation, build a safe maritime environment and enhance the two navies' capability to deal with maritime terrorism and crime together.
- China, Pakistan kick off "Sea Guardians-2020" naval drill in Karachi PLA Daily 06 Jan 2020 -- The PN-PLAN Bilateral Exercise, code-named Sea Guardians-2020, kicked off at the Pakistan Navy Dock Yard in Karachi, Pakistan on the morning of January 6, local time.
- HK office's role enhanced Global Times 06 Jan 2020 -- The liaison office of the Chinese central government in Hong Kong is expected to play a more active role in engaging with Hong Kong society in a more creative way instead of simply being a channel of communication as its new head took office on Monday to help the city engulfed in violent protests to return to the right path.
- New director of liaison office says "one country, two systems" is Hong Kong's greatest advantage Global Times 06 Jan 2020 -- The "one country, two systems" principle is Hong Kong's greatest advantage, Luo Huining, the new director of the Liaison Office of the Central People's Government in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), said Monday.
- Motherland is Hong Kong's biggest support: new head of liaison office Global Times 06 Jan 2020 -- The "One Country, Two Systems" is the biggest advantage for Hong Kong and the motherland is Hong Kong's biggest support, Luo Huining, the new chief of the liaison office of the central government in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region said at a brief and highly anticipated press conference on Monday, his first day in office.
- Class Resumes at Hong Kong University That Fought Back Against Riot Police Radio Free Asia 06 Jan 2020 -- Students at a Hong Kong university where riot police fired hundreds of rounds of tear gas and were met with petrol bombs hurled across makeshift barricades in November, returned to class on Monday after police made dozens more arrests during a protest at the weekend.
- New Hong Kong Liaison Office Chief Praises 'One Country, Two Systems' as Advantage for City Sputnik 06 Jan 2020 -- Hong Kong has been gripped by violent protests for months. Recently, protesters demanded Beijing honor its commitment to maintaining the territory's semi-autonomous status, as outlined in a 1997 treaty that transferred the city's sovereignty from UK to Chinese rule, also known as the "one country, two systems" framework.
- China's Pipeline Plan May Raise Energy Risk Radio Free Asia 06 Jan 2020 -- China's plan to create a national oil and gas pipeline company may raise the country's reliance on energy imports, achieving just the opposite of what the government intends.
- Chinese Media Campaign to Discredit Movement For Missing Uyghurs Will Fail: #StillNoInfo Founder Radio Free Asia 06 Jan 2020 -- A campaign by official Chinese media to discredit a movement by Uyghurs seeking information about missing relatives back home in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) will fail, according to the movement's organizer, because of Beijing's intransparency over its policies there.
- China's heaviest satellite positioned in geosynchronous orbit People's Daily 06 Jan 2020 -- China's heaviest and most advanced satellite, Shijian-20, reached its fixed position in geosynchronous orbit Sunday, marking the first successful flight of DFH-5 satellite platform, according to the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list