Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
01 January 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Full text of President Tsai's New Year's Day speech CNA 01 Jan 2020 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) delivered her 2020 New Year's address Wednesday in the Presidential Office reception hall.
- Taiwan rejects China's offer to unify with mainland under Hong Kong model Press TV 01 Jan 2020 -- Taiwan's president Tsai Ing-wen has rejected China's offer to use the "one country, two systems" model in order to unify the self-ruled island with mainland China, claiming that that political arrangement has failed in Hong Kong.
- President Tsai Ing-wen Calls on Beijing to Treat Taiwan as a Sovereign State Radio Free Asia 01 Jan 2020 -- Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen said on Wednesday that the democratic island would only deal with China on an equal footing, and would continue to insist on its freedom, democracy and sovereignty in the face of a growing threat from Beijing.
- President defends Anti-infiltration Act in New Year's Day speech CNA 01 Jan 2020 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) used her 2020 New Year's Day speech Wednesday to defend her decision to ram through legislation a day earlier that criminalizes political activities backed by China.
- Taiwan's Anti-Infiltration Bill Sends Relations with China to New Low VOA 01 Jan 2020 -- Taiwan parliament's passage of a bill Tuesday banning infiltration by political rival China dealt a new blow to relations that have already sparked military threats and diplomatic tug-of-wars in the past four years.
- China tests world's 1st mobile quantum satellite ground station Global Times 01 Jan 2020 -- China's Quantum Experiments at Space Scale, or better known as the Micius, have successfully conducted an eight-minute-long encrypted data transmission with a mobile ground station, marking a world's first.
- Upgraded JF-17 fighter jet makes maiden flight, equipped with J-20 tech: report Global Times 01 Jan 2020 -- The latest, powered-up version of the JF-17 fighter jet reportedly features technologies from China's top-notch J-20 fighter jet and made its maiden flight in December, as the warplane co-developed by China and Pakistan saw major upgrades in electronic devices that will significantly increase its combat efficiency, experts said.
- Protesters rally in Hong Kong on New Year's Day Press TV 01 Jan 2020 -- Tens of thousands of protesters have held anti-government rallies in Hong Kong on New Year's Day, clashing with security forces.
- One Million Join New Year Protest March in Hong Kong Radio Free Asia 01 Jan 2020 -- More than a million people took to the streets of Hong Kong on New Year's Day in a resounding reminder to the city authorities that the past six months of pro-democracy protests will continue into 2020.
- About 400 People Arrested in Hong Kong During Protest - Police Sputnik 01 Jan 2020 -- The Hong Kong Police have detained at least 400 people during 1 January's anti-government protest, Senior Superintendent of Hong Kong Island Region Jim Ng Lok-Chun said.
- Protests, Tear Gas Mark Hong Kong's New Year's Day VOA 01 Jan 2020 -- Hong Kong's celebratory mood on the first day of 2020 was marred by tear gas and water cannons deployed by police on a largely peaceful crowd, and the arrest of some 400 people at a march attended by hundreds of thousands in what has been a months-long anti-government movement.
- Hong Kong rioters go on rampage in protest on New Year's Day Global Times 01 Jan 2020 -- Rioters took advantage of a protest to wreak havoc again in Hong Kong on New Year's Day, trashing an HSBC branch, setting fire on streets, and spray-painting insulting words on the outer wall of the High Court.
- HKSAR gov't rejects foreign interference in Hong Kong's affairs Global Times 01 Jan 2020 -- The government of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) rejected foreign interference in Hong Kong's affairs in a statement in the small hours on Wednesday.
- US Army bans China's TikTok over security worries Press TV 01 Jan 2020 -- US Army soldiers have been banned from using the hugely popular short video app TikTok over a security threat, according to an Army spokeswoman.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list