Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2019 - China Special Weapons News
- Russia, China use veto to defeat US resolution on Venezuela at UN Security Council Press TV 28 Feb 2019 -- Russia and China have vetoed a US-sponsored resolution at the United Nations Security Council, which called for early presidential election in Venezuela amid ongoing unrest in the Latin American country.
- China Denounces US Freedom of Navigation Talk as 'Pretext to Provocative Moves' Sputnik 28 Feb 2019 -- Just days after a US warship transited the Taiwan Strait and two sailed near the Spratly Islands, China's Defense Ministry accused Washington of "stirring up trouble" in the region, denouncing the US' freedom of navigation operations "as a pretext to conduct illegal and provocative moves."
- China's second aircraft carrier sets sail for fifth sea trial Global Times 28 Feb 2019 -- China's second aircraft carrier reportedly set sail from the Dalian Shipyard Wednesday afternoon for its fifth sea trial, three days after the country's first carrier, the Liaoning, left the same shipyard. Experts believe it indicates a further step toward the final delivery of the second carrier.
- Chinese bombers fly training missions near Taiwan: MND CNA 27 Feb 2019 -- The Ministry of National Defense (MND) said Wednesday that it closely monitored the movements of a number of Chinese military aircraft operating near Taiwan earlier in the day.
- Impact of China's '31 measures' exaggerated: MAC CNA 27 Feb 2019 -- China has "exaggerated" the effects of its "31 measures" to attract Taiwanese talent and investment, Taiwan's Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said Wednesday after Beijing published a progress report on the initiative.
- Rare VTOL drone deployed on PLA destroyer Global Times 27 Feb 2019 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy deployed a new vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) fixed-wing drone on a guided missile destroyer in an exercise in the South China Sea in late February.
- China Watching, Waiting for Progress at Hanoi Summit VOA 26 Feb 2019 -- This week in Hanoi, the lights will be shining brightly on U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. Not far away from that big stage, China will be watching closely and if all goes smoothly, asserting that it too has played a role in efforts to promote peace on the Korean peninsula.
- PLA undergoes intensive combat trainings in 2019 Global Times 26 Feb 2019 -- The People's Liberation Army (PLA) undertook intensive combat training in the first two months of 2019 after Chinese President Xi Jinping ordered the military to enhance combat readiness in January.
- Xi-Trump consensus guides China, US toward win-win agreements People's Daily 26 Feb 2019 -- Chinese and U.S. negotiators wrapped up the 7th round of trade talks between the world's top two economies on Sunday with substantial progress on specific issues.
- Xi highlights favorable legal environment for reform, development, stability People's Daily 26 Feb 2019 -- President Xi Jinping on Monday called for efforts to create a favorable legal environment for China's reform, development and stability.
- China urges peace and dialogue between India and Pakistan Global Times 26 Feb 2019 -- China urged India and Pakistan to practice good communication and exercise restraint, which will help maintain regional stability, the Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson said after Indian fighter jets crossed into Pakistani territory on Tuesday.
- Japan, South Korea Scramble to Intercept Chinese Spy Plane Sputnik 25 Feb 2019 -- Japan and South Korea scrambled their fighter jets Saturday to intercept a Chinese spy plane flying close to their airspace. The surveillance aircraft never entered either country's airspace, though.
- American Warship, Cargo Vessel Pass Through Taiwan Strait Amid US-China Tensions Sputnik 25 Feb 2019 -- Relations between Washington and Beijing have remained strained due to their bilateral trade dispute and continuing US naval operations in the disputed waters of the South China Sea.
- Official: China Will Step Up Military, Diplomatic Pressure Against Taiwan VOA 25 Feb 2019 -- China will increase military, diplomatic and other kinds of pressure against proudly self-ruled Taiwan to deliver on President Xi Jinping's demand in January that the two sides unify, a China policy maker in Taipei told VOA Monday.
- China, U.S. conclude latest trade talks with substantial progress on specific issues People's Daily 25 Feb 2019 -- China and the United States have achieved substantial progress on specific issues following their latest round of high-level economic and trade talks in Washington, the Chinese delegation said Sunday.
- Liaoning ends maintenance, leaves shipyard Global Times 24 Feb 2019 -- China's first aircraft carrier Liaoning appears to have left the maintenance bay of the Dalian Shipyard on Sunday, as the country's second carrier, the Type 001A, is also expected to soon begin a new sea trial, reports said.
- China issues work plan on national defense education Global Times 24 Feb 2019 -- China will push forward reform in national defense education in 2019, according to a circular released by the national defense education office Thursday.
- Chinese president meets Saudi crown prince People's Daily 23 Feb 2019 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Friday met with Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud, Saudi Arabia's crown prince, at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing.
- Trump may extend China trade deadline, but final deal remains elusive Press TV 23 Feb 2019 -- US President Donald Trump says the United States and China were moving closer toward a trade agreement and that he was inclined to extend his March 1 tariff deadline and meet soon with Chinese President Xi Jinping, but a final deal still remains elusive.
- China Creates Nonlethal Microwave-Based Weapon to Inflict Pain - Report Sputnik 23 Feb 2019 -- Chinese researchers have reportedly developed a nonlethal weapon that uses microwave radar technology to inflict nerve pain on enemy troops.
- Russia, China back Maduro as US-led showdown nears Press TV 22 Feb 2019 -- China and Russia are rallying behind Venezuela, warning against military intervention in the Latin American country which is facing a showdown Saturday when the opposition plans to bring in a US "aid" package.
- China allows visit after UK renounces warship deployment Press TV 22 Feb 2019 -- China has reversed its decision to cancel trade talks with the UK after British Finance Minister Philip Hammond criticized London's military plans for the deployment of a British warship in the Pacific.
- China Relations Shape Taiwan President's Re-election Campaign VOA 22 Feb 2019 -- Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen announced her re-election bid this week following a bump in public polling that came after she spoke out against Chinese President Xi Jinping's suggestion that Taiwan and China unify as one country.
- China, U.S. kick off new round of high-level trade talks in Washington People's Daily 22 Feb 2019 -- China and the United States kicked off a fresh round of high-level economic and trade talks here on Thursday morning, as negotiators strive to beat a 90-day deadline that ends on March 1.
- China develops weapon system based on microwave radar tech Global Times 21 Feb 2019 -- China and the United States kicked off a fresh round of high-level economic and trade talks here on Thursday morning, as negotiators strive to beat a 90-day deadline that ends on March 1.
- China, Saudi Arabia Try to Walk Together Amid Hurdles VOA 21 Feb 2019 -- Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman arrived in Beijing on Thursday for a two-day visit to boost the country's international image sullied by the recent killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi and to enhance economic ties. But the path to better ties between Saudi Arabia and China is riddled with political hurdles.
- UK-China ties hurt by defense secretary's threats: Chancellor Press TV 21 Feb 2019 -- Britain's Chancellor of Exchequer Philip Hammond has criticized the country's defense chief for irritating China with a series of military threats, saying London should adopt a milder tone vis-à-vis Beijing as it seeks better economic ties with the Chinese after Britain's withdrawal from the European Union.
- China's top anti-graft agencies investigate 68 centrally-administrated officials Global Times 21 Feb 2019 -- The Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Commission for Discipline Inspection (CCDI) and the National Supervisory Commission investigated 68 centrally-administrated officials in 2018.
- Chinese president meets Iran's parliament speaker People's Daily 21 Feb 2019 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday met with visiting Iranian Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing.
- Former military chief of staff sentenced to life imprisonment People's Daily 21 Feb 2019 -- A military court on Wednesday convicted Fang Fenghui, former chief of staff of China's Central Military Commission Joint Staff Department, on three accounts of crime and sentenced him to life imprisonment according to law.
- Chinese Jet Shows X-Ray Vision System Only Seen on US Jets Sputnik 21 Feb 2019 -- After months of complaints by the US administration that China is stealing intellectual property from companies in the United States, a picture of a Chinese fighter jet has been publicized on social media featuring key technology systems developed for the American F-35.
- BeiDou Navigation System completed first outbound trip, eyeing promotion in global markets People's Daily 21 Feb 2019 -- Chinese cargo ship Rongda Changsha equipped with terminal products of BeiDou Navigation Satellite System arrived at Brunei recently after embarking from Luojing Port in Shanghai, marking the first successful application of BeiDou terminal products and unveiling the ambition of promoting BeiDou products to the international market.
- China displays unmanned mini Aegis ship with vertical launch missile cells in Abu Dhabi Global Times 20 Feb 2019 -- Chinese arms companies are exhibiting a series of advanced weapons including an unmanned 20-ton "Aegis-class destroyer" with vertical launch missile cells and a heavy infantry fighting vehicle at the 14th International Defense Exhibition and Conference (IDEX) in Abu Dhabi from Sunday to Thursday.
- Taiwan's president rejects potential opp. deal with China Press TV 20 Feb 2019 -- Taiwan's president says she is opposed to a potential peace initiative with China launched by the island's major opposition Kuomintang (KMT) Party.
- China Faces Challenges in Containing Swine Flu Infection VOA 20 Feb 2019 -- The Year of the Pig is getting off to a rough start in China as the world's largest consumer of pork and home to half the world's pigs struggles to contain the spread of the African swine fever (ASF) virus.
- China's naval hospital ship Peace Ark has provided free medical services to thousands around the world People's Daily 20 Feb 2019 -- China's naval hospital ship Peace Ark has covered 230,000 nautical miles to provide free medical services to over 230,000 local people in 43 countries, spanning three oceans and six continents, a decade after its first mission.
- US unilateralism cannot harm Iran, China: Larijani ISNA 20 Feb 2019 -- In Beijing, Parliament Speaker, Ali Larijani has said America's hostile unilateral policies, including the imposition of sanctions and trade tariffs on other countries, will fail to harm world nations, including Iran and China.
- China says will boost 'strategic' partnership with Iran regardless of global developments Press TV 20 Feb 2019 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has pledged his country's determination to boost "strategic" partnership with Iran regardless of global and regional developments.
- US unilateralism cannot harm Iran, China: Larijani Press TV 20 Feb 2019 -- In Beijing, Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani has said America's hostile unilateral policies, including the imposition of sanctions and trade tariffs on other countries, will fail to harm other nations, including Iran and China.
- Cross-strait peace pact bill not targeted at any person: Premier CNA 19 Feb 2019 -- The government's push to prioritize a bill during the Legislature's current session that would subject any peace agreement with China to a national referendum was not targeted at any person, Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) said Tuesday.
- Premier Su declines to sign 'independence referendum petition' CNA 19 Feb 2019 -- Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) Tuesday indicated he would not sign a petition to change the Referendum Act so Taiwan can hold a referendum on independence as proposed by the pro-independence Formosa Alliance, saying Taiwan is already a sovereign country.
- Premier opposes peace agreement with China CNA 19 Feb 2019 -- Taiwan should not sign a peace agreement with China, which is the least friendly nation to Taiwan, Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) said Tuesday.
- Slowly but surely, China is moving into Afghanistan TRT World 18 Feb 2019 -- As the war in Afghanistan winds down, China looks to make Afghanistan a bigger part of its regional ambitions.
- Cabinet pushes bill for referendum on cross-strait peace treaty CNA 18 Feb 2019 -- The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) government and legislators have agreed to prioritize a bill during the Legislature's current session that would subject any peace agreement with China to a national referendum.
- Beijing urges US to objectively view intelligence laws Global Times 18 Feb 2019-- The Chinese Foreign Ministry on Monday urged the US to view China's intelligence related laws in a comprehensive and objective manner instead of making one-sided, biased and wrong interpretations.
- China to test magnetized plasma artillery Global Times 18 Feb 2019-- The Chinese military is looking to procure test systems for magnetized plasma artillery, according to a notice on the People's Liberation Army (PLA) weapon and equipment procurement website weain.mil.cn last week.
- China to develop missiles as West ups military spending Press TV 17 Feb 2019 -- China has rejected Germany's appeal to join a Cold War-era arms control treaty from which the United States unilaterally withdrew this month, saying it would place unfair limits on the Chinese military.
- China hopes U.S., Russia will return to INF Treaty: official Global Times 17 Feb 2019 -- China hopes that the United States and Russia will return to the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty, a senior Chinese official said here Saturday.
- Xi Signs Order to Boost China's 2 Mln Army Training Efficiency – Report Sputnik 17 Feb 2019 -- The Chinese leader signed regulations to clarify military training methods and the prosecution of wrongdoings in the army amid continuing tensions over the South China Sea dispute.
- China slams Canadian media 'hype' on student patriotic actions Global Times 16 Feb 2019 -- China strongly supports the patriotic actions of Chinese students at the University of Toronto and McMaster University, opposing the Tibet and Xinjiang separatism forces.
- China Giving Pakistan $3.5 Billion in Loans, Grants VOA 15 Feb 2019 -- China is promising about $3.5 billion to help bolster Pakistan's dwindling foreign cash reserves and pay for socio-economic development plans undertaken by the country's new government.
- China mulls criminal law amendments to curb online military-related slander Global Times 15 Feb 2019 -- China is considering including a proposal to amendments to the country's Criminal Law to curb military-related rumors online to better protect the image of the People's Liberation Army (PLA), PLA Daily reported on Friday.
- Senior official calls for advances in strict governance over military Global Times 15 Feb 2019 -- A senior military official on Friday called on the military to make new advances in the work of political and legal affairs and ensure strict governance over the military.
- China punishes 12.77 million discredited entities as of 2018 Global Times 14 Feb 2019 -- The big picture in the construction of China's social credit system via a blacklist has taken initial shape, and losing credit in one place might mean an entity is restricted in other places.
- China, US begin official trade talks in Beijing Press TV 14 Feb 2019 -- Negotiators from China and the United States have begun official trade talks in the Chinese capital, Beijing, in an attempt to prevent a festering of an ongoing dispute between their two countries.
- White House Upbeat on Beijing Trade Talks VOA 14 Feb 2019 -- A top White House economic adviser is expressing confidence in the current U.S.-China trade negotiations in Beijing.
- China launches peacekeeping exhibition at UN headquarters People's Daily 13 Feb 2019 -- A photo exhibition on China's peacekeeping efforts was launched at the UN headquarters in New York on Feb. 11, 2019. It is co-hosted by the Chinese military and the Chinese Permanent Mission to the United Nations and will run until February 22. Some UN officials and permanent representatives to the UN totaling 200 attended the exhibition.
- Turkish-Chinese Tensions Escalate Over Uighurs VOA 13 Feb 2019 -- China has issued a travel warning to its residents visiting Turkey, in a move seen as targeting Turkey's large tourism industry. The advisory is the latest escalation in bilateral tensions after Hami Aksoy, a spokesman for the Turkish foreign ministry, condemned China's treatment of its Uighur minority.
- China to Fund Installation of Modern Facilities at Pakistan-Afghan Border Crossings VOA 12 Feb 2019 -- China plans to fund and install modern reception centers, drinking water and cold storage facilities at main entry points on the border between Pakistan and Afghanistan. The Chinese project aims to better serve the daily movement of tens of thousands of people as well as trade convoys, and will help ease tensions between the two countries, officials said.
- Indo-Pacific Command Worried About China's Path DoD News 12 Feb 2019 -- The commander of U.S. Indo-Pacific Command told Congress today that he is encouraged about progress with Asia's near-term threat – North Korea – but is worried about the path China is on.
- PLA spokesman urges US to stop provocative actions in South China Sea People's Daily 12 Feb 2019 -- Senior Colonel Li Huamin, spokesman for the Southern Theater Command of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA), urged last night the US to stop its provocative actions in the South China Sea and stressed that the Chinese military will closely monitor the relevant sea and air situations and take necessary measures to resolutely safeguard China's sovereignty and security.
- US Military Mulls Base Deployment Near South China Sea - Adm Davidson Sputnik 12 Feb 2019 -- Chinese "militarization" of the South China Sea has prompted the United States to begin discussing the possibility of relocating US forces and opening bases in the region, US Indo-Pacific Command chief Adm. Philip Davidson said in congressional testimony on Tuesday.
- Xi signs order on trial regulation to supervise military training Global Times 12 Feb 2019 -- Xi Jinping, chairman of the Central Military Commission, has signed an order to release a trial regulation on the supervision of military training, the first of its kind in the country.
- Xi signs order to release regulation on military training supervision Global Times 12 Feb 2019 -- Xi Jinping, chairman of the Central Military Commission, has signed an order to release a trial regulation on the supervision of military training, the first of its kind in the country.
- China 'likely' to see steady increase in 2019 defense budget Global Times 12 Feb 2019 -- As China continues to push forward its military reform to achieve modernization in an unpredictable and volatile international security environment, the country is likely to see a steady increase in its defense budget in 2019 to about 1.2 trillion yuan ($179 billion), Chinese military experts said Monday.
- China improves Long March-6 rocket for growing commercial launches People's Daily 12 Feb 2019 -- China announced Monday that it is developing the modified version of the Long March-6 rocket with four additional solid boosters to increase its carrying capacity.
- China: US seeking to turn space into 'battlefield' Press TV 12 Feb 2019 -- China has slammed the US over its military buildup in the outer space, warning Washington against attempts to turn the space into yet another "battlefield."
- US Power, Influence Seen as Greater Threat than Russia, China VOA 11 Feb 2019 -- More people around the world worry about the threat posed by the United States' use of power and influence than they do about similar threats from Russia or China.
- Chinese president sends congratulatory message to 32nd AU summit People's Daily 11 Feb 2019 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Sunday sent a congratulatory message on the holding of the 32nd African Union (AU) summit in the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa.
- AU Commission chief extolls AU-China partnership at AU summit People's Daily 11 Feb 2019 -- Moussa Faki Mahamat, chairperson of the African Union (AU) Commission, has extolled the partnership between the 55-member pan-African bloc and China in different arenas.
- US seeks to 'stir up trouble' with naval sails-by: China Press TV 11 Feb 2019 -- China says the United States is trying to "stir up trouble" by dispatching military vessels to the vicinity of disputed islands in the South China Sea, which Beijing regards as sovereign Chinese territory.
- US sails destroyers near Chinese archipelago: Official Press TV 11 Feb 2019 -- The United States has reportedly sailed two destroyers close to the Nansha archipelago in the South China Sea, which Beijing claims almost in its entirety despite Washington's objection.
- Beijing Accuses US of Illegally Crossing Its Sovereign Borders in S China Sea Sputnik 11 Feb 2019 -- China protests and expresses dissatisfaction with US vessels entering the waters near the Spratly Islands, an archipelago in the South China Sea that Beijing continues to regard as its "indisputable sovereignty," without authorization, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said on Monday.
- UK to Send Carrier to Pacific Ocean in Show of 'Hard Power' to China – Report Sputnik 11 Feb 2019 -- Later in the day, UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson will speak at the Royal United Services Institute in London, where he is due to unveil his plans for the modernisation of the country's armed forces, which he will say should increase its "mass and lethality".
- Japan Sets Up Crisis HQ After Incident With Chinese Ship - Reports Sputnik 11 Feb 2019 -- The Japanese government created a crisis response headquarters on Monday after a Chinese patrol ship entered Japanese territorial waters next to the disputed islands in the East China Sea, NHK broadcaster reported.
- Norway Claims Russia, China Strengthening Intelligence Activities Against Oslo Sputnik 11 Feb 2019 -- The Norwegian Intelligence Service believes that Russian and Chinese security services are stepping up reconnaissance activities against the Nordic state, VG newspaper reported on Monday, citing the agency's report.
- Chinese Embassy Dismisses Media Reports About Chinese Spies Working in Brussels Sputnik 11 Feb 2019 -- The Chinese Embassy in Belgium has rejected media reports claiming that hundreds of Chinese spies are operating in Brussels as a hoax.
- China slams Turkish FM's Xinjiang centers claim Global Times 11 Feb 2019 -- China refuted claims made by Turkey's foreign ministry on the alleged death of a Uyghur musician, claiming the man is still alive and in good health.
- China eyes building next-generation fighter jets by 2035 Global Times 11 Feb 2019 -- China will not fall behind in the global race toward sixth-generation fighter jets and is expected to build its own next-generation fighter jets by 2035, said a leading Chinese fighter jet specialist.
- Liaoning sale to Pakistan totally false: experts Global Times 11 Feb 2019 -- Media reports on China's decision to sell its only at-service aircraft carrier, the Liaoning, to Pakistan "in order to compete with India" are unrealistic, military analysts told the Global Times.
- China dismisses Turkey's 'unacceptable' criticism on Uighur Muslims Press TV 11 Feb 2019 -- China has dismissed as "unacceptable" Turkey's allegations over Beijing's treatment of its Muslim ethnic Uighur community, urging Ankara to retract the "vile" remarks.
- China Mulls Installing Electromagnetic Catapults on First Aircraft Carrier Sputnik 11 Feb 2019 -- The Chinese navy is weighing whether to retrofit its Liaoning aircraft carrier, replacing the ship's distinctive ski-jump bow and giving it new electromagnetic catapults, though Chinese experts say the undertaking may be too expensive.
- China Protests Over Turkey's Criticism of 'Re-Education Camps' for Uyghurs Sputnik 11 Feb 2019 -- China has expressed its protest over the Turkish Foreign Ministry spokesman Hami Aksoy's claims that Chinese Uyghur "re-education camps" were "internment camps," the Chinese Foreign Ministry's spokeswoman said on Monday.
- China, India clash over PM Modi's visit to disputed state Press TV 10 Feb 2019 -- China has condemned a visit by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to a disputed border region which triggered a war between the nuclear-armed neighbors in 1962.
- China voices strong opposition to Modi's visit to region on east section of its border with India People's Daily 10 Feb 2019 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry on Saturday expressed strong opposition to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to a region on the east section of the China-India border.
- Closer NK-US ties 'fit China's intention' Global Times 10 Feb 2019 -- Choosing Hanoi for the venue of the second US-North Korea summit shows that the US hopes North Korea will choose the path of Vietnam, which has embraced economic globalization, analysts said.
- "Zero-sum game" mindset destructive to China-U.S. ties, says Chinese ambassador People's Daily 10 Feb 2019 -- Chinese Ambassador to the United States Cui Tiankai said on Friday that China and the United States need to develop even stronger ties in the future despite their differences.
- Turkey slams 'concentration camps' for Muslims in China Press TV 10 Feb 2019 -- Turkey has condemned China's alleged mistreatment of more than one million Uighur Muslims in "internment camps," urging Beijing to respect the fundamental rights of the Turkic-speaking minority.
- Turkey Calls China's Treatment Of Uyghur Minority 'Shame For Humanity' RFE/RL 10 Feb 2019 -- Turkey has condemned China's treatment of its Turkic Muslim Uyghur minority population as "a great cause of shame for humanity."
- US military alarmed by possible threats from Chinese space station in Argentina: Report Press TV 09 Feb 2019 -- The United States military is concerned about possible "threats" coming from a Chinese-run space station in Argentina which Beijing used recently to land a probe on the dark side of the moon, according to a new report.
- 'Hundreds' Of Chinese, Russia Agents 'Operating' In Brussels RFE/RL 09 Feb 2019 -- Hundreds of Russian and Chinese intelligence agents are operating in Brussels, the EU's foreign service has warned.
- Swarming with Spooks: Brussels Claimed to be Overrun with Chinese, Russian Spies Sputnik 09 Feb 2019 -- Brussels is a hotbed of Russian and Chinese spies according to a recent report from a popular German newspaper.
- China denies 'ridiculous' spying allegations against Huawei by Lithuania Press TV 09 Feb 2019 -- China has dismissed allegations made by US ally Lithuania against its telecommunication giant Huawei Technologies, describing them as "absurd and ridiculous."
- Chinese ships participate as multinational naval exercise kicks off in Pakistan Global Times 09 Feb 2019 -- The sixth Pakistan-led multinational maritime naval drills, Aman 19, kicked off on Friday at the Pakistan Navy Dockyard in Karachi with a colorful flag hoisting ceremony, with navies and observers from 46 countries including China, Russia and the US participating in the five-day exercise.
- China deploys 100 ships to disputed waters amid US buildup: Report Press TV 08 Feb 2019 -- China has deployed some 100 ships to the South China Sea, the Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative run by the Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Studies reports.
- China Sent 95 Ships to Intimidate Philippines' Projects in South China Sea Sputnik 08 Feb 2019 -- China has reportedly deployed a fleet of nearly 100 ships to the Thitu Island, one of several disputed islands in the South China Sea, in an effort to stop ongoing construction work being carried out by the Philippine government.
- US General Warns of Russian, Chinese Inroads in Africa VOA 07 Feb 2019 -- Fears that Washington is increasingly losing influence across the globe are starting to come to fruition in Africa, where a top military official says Russia is playing on perceived U.S. weaknesses to gain leverage and resources.
- Senior US Navy Adviser Suggests Rulebook With China to Avoid Close Calls at Sea Sputnik 07 Feb 2019 -- The chief of US naval operations said at a meeting of the Atlantic Council think tank earlier this week that the US and China need to draw up rules to govern their naval operations in the South China Sea, and once arrived at, the US should aggressively enforce them.
- Senior military official calls for support of strengthening and revitalizing armed forces Global Times 04 Feb 2019 -- A senior military official on Sunday called on media as well as literary and art workers of the military to promote innovation and development in their work, so as to provide solid support for strengthening and revitalizing the armed forces.
- Chinese voices opposition to US suspension of Cold War-era pact with Russia Press TV 02 Feb 2019 -- China has opposed a US decision to suspend a landmark Cold War-era nuclear arms control treaty with Russia, a move which prompted Moscow to give a tit-for-tat response.
- China Opposes Washington's Exit From INF Treaty, Calls for US-Russia Dialogue Sputnik 02 Feb 2019 -- Earlier, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced that Washington will suspend its obligations under the treaty starting Saturday.
- Chinese Foreign Minister: Beijing committed to maintain JCPOA IRNA 02 Feb 2019 -- China's foreign ministry quoted Foreign Minister Wang Yi that as saying that Beijing has committed itself to solve major global crises, including the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), Syria and Palestine and will provide solutions.
- Beijing supports Iran-Europe INSTEX IRNA 01 Feb 2019 -- China seriously supports the efforts made by European countries to set up the Instrument in Support of Trade Exchanges (INSTEX) with Iran and preserving Iran nuclear deal, the Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman said.
- New Chief Says Shanghai Cooperation Group Stresses Development VOA 01 Feb 2019 -- Based in Beijing, the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) encompasses eight countries representing 3 billion people. That gives it heft but worries many in the West, who see an emerging bloc that will oppose Washington and its allies in Eurasia.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list