US considering new measures to restrict Huawei suppliers: Report
Iran Press TV
Friday, 29 November 2019 9:36 PM
The United States is considering new measures to block shipments of products to the Chinese telecommunications giant Huawei, according to a report.
Two people familiar with the matter told the Reuters news agency that the US government has taken the decision after the company's blacklisting by the US failed to cut off supplies to the world's largest telecoms equipment maker.
The administration of President Donald Trump is considering changes to two rules that would give the US more authority to obstruct foreign shipments to the company, which has already been placed on a government blacklist, the sources said.
These measures are being considered even though the Trump administration last week expressed willingness to grant some reprieves on the existing embargo to make an agreement with China for end trade war.
The proposed changes would allow American authorities to regulate sales of non-sensitive items, such as standard cell phone chips, manufactured abroad with US-origin technology, software, or components to Huawei.
The US government blacklisted Huawei in May, alleging the Chinese company was involved in activities contrary to US national security or foreign policy interests.
The US's punitive measures targeting the Chinese telecom sector came against the backdrop of Washington's bid to impose its own conditions on trade with Beijing.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|