Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
November 2018 - China Special Weapons News
- Report: Russia, China 'Stress-Testing' Resolve of West VOA 30 Nov 2018 -- Russia and China are among several countries attempting to "stress-test" the resolve of traditional powers, according to a report from the London-based International Institute for Strategic Studies.
- Beijing Sends Warships to Warn US Over Its 'Provocation' in S China Sea Sputnik 30 Nov 2018 -- The warning came after the US Pacific Fleet said that its guided-missile cruiser USS Chancellorsville had sailed near the disputed Paracel Islands in the South China Sea to challenge what it described as Beijing's "excessive maritime claims."
- PLA keeps eye on US ships in Taiwan Straits People's Daily 30 Nov 2018 -- The Chinese military is aware of the recent passage of two United States naval ships through the Taiwan Straits and will remain vigilant, a spokesman for the Ministry of National Defense said on Thursday.
- Taiwan's cross-strait policy remains unchanged: President Tsai CNA 30 Nov 2018 -- Taiwan will maintain its policy toward China in the wake of the Nov. 24 local government elections, President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said Friday, urging Beijing not to allow political issues to disrupt city-to-city exchanges between the two sides.
- Beijing Warns Tokyo Against Modifying Ships to Carry F-35s Sputnik 29 Nov 2018 -- A Chinese news agency responding to Japan's reported decision to retrofit the JS Izumo helicopter carrier to carry F-35B fighter jets said "making an aggressive move like this may drive the country to repeat its militaristic history."
- Taiwan authorities urged to lift barriers People's Daily 29 Nov 2018 -- The Chinese mainland will expand exchanges with Taiwan if the island removes obstacles hindering cross-Straits communications, a mainland spokesman said on Wednesday after many newly elected county and city heads said they expect more cooperation with the mainland to boost their economy.
- US Lawmaker Accuses China of Genocide in Treatment of Uighur Muslims VOA 29 Nov 2018 -- A U.S. congressman is calling on President Donald Trump to raise the issue of China's mass internment of Muslim ethnic minorities when he meets with Chinese President Xi Jinping later this week.
- Study: China Engaging in Wide Campaign to Influence American Life VOA 29 Nov 2018 -- A new study by longtime China experts in the U.S. has concluded that Beijing is engaging in an increasingly aggressive campaign to influence and shape perceptions about China held by American politicians, university scholars and students, as well as executives at major corporations.
- USARPAC and PLA participate in 14th iteration of Disaster Management Exchange in Nanjing, China Army News 28 Nov 2018 -- Soldiers from U.S. Army Pacific and the People's Republic of China People's Liberation Army participated in an annual Disaster Management Exchange in Nanjing, China Nov. 13-18. This is the 14th iteration of this exchange between USARPAC and the PLA.
- Maldives Seeks Indian Assistance in the Face of Mammoth Chinese Debt Sputnik 27 Nov 2018 -- Faced with an acute budgetary deficit due to mounting foreign debts, the new government in the Maldives, led by President Abdulla Solih, is looking to India for financial support to help the island nation achieve its development goals. It has announced the revival of its 'India First' policy without affecting its engagement with China.
- China launches work on third aircraft carrier: media report People's Daily 27 Nov 2018 -- China has launched work on building its third aircraft carrier, Xinhua News Agency reported on Sunday.
- Beijing Eyes Building Underwater AI Base in Disputed South China Sea - Report Sputnik 27 Nov 2018 -- Officials from the Chinese Academy of Sciences in Beijing have set off to uncharted territory as researchers consider building an underwater sea base in the South China Sea for unmanned submarine science and possibly defense operations.
- Hong Kong Democrats Eye Rural Political Reform VOA 27 Nov 2018 -- Hong Kong's pro-democracy camp is hoping to infiltrate one of the city's most opaque yet powerful institutions, its rural governance committees, by running four candidates in upcoming village elections, whose nomination period ended late last week.
- China's 3rd aircraft carrier under construction, to be equipped with new technologies Global Times 26 Nov 2018 -- China's third aircraft carrier is now under construction, the Xinhua News Agency said via its WeChat public account on early Sunday, with Chinese military experts saying on Monday that the warship is expected to be launched in two and a half years.
- China Reportedly Starts Building 'New-Generation' Aircraft Carrier Sputnik 26 Nov 2018 -- Beijing already has two aircraft carriers that have already undergone all the necessary trials prior to duty. The first carrier, the CNS Liaoning, has even participated in its first war games, which took place in disputed areas of the South China Sea.
- Kazakhs From Xinjiang Say Relatives Not Allowed To Leave China RFE/RL 26 Nov 2018 -- Ethnic Kazakhs from China's northwestern region of Xinjiang say their relatives with permanent residence permits issued by Kazakhstan have been barred from leaving China after traveling there at the request of Beijing.
- 76th joint patrol on Mekong River completed People's Daily 25 Nov 2018 -- The 76th joint patrol on the Mekong River jointly conducted by China, Laos, Myanmar and Thailand was completed Saturday.
- China, India reach important consensus on boundary issues: FM People's Daily 25 Nov 2018 -- Senior officials of China and India had reached some important consensus on boundary issues during a Saturday meeting, said a press release from the Chinese Foreign Ministry.
- MAC urges Beijing not to 'misjudge' voting results CNA 25 Nov 2018 -- The Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) urged Beijing Sunday not to "misjudge" the results of Taiwan's local elections and referendums, in which the opposition Kuomintang (KMT) crushed the ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP).
- Mainland to stick to peaceful development path in cross-Straits relations: spokesperson People's Daily 25 Nov 2018 -- A Chinese mainland spokesperson on Sunday said the mainland will continue to enhance solidarity with Taiwan compatriots and follow a path of peaceful development of cross-Straits relations.
- China commends Taiwan voters after ruling party defeat Press TV 25 Nov 2018 -- China has welcomed the defeat of Taiwan's secessionist ruling party in the self-ruled island's local elections, saying the vote showed the "strong will" of the people in the region to develop peaceful relations with Beijing.
- China launches remote sensing to monitor operation of FAST telescope People's Daily 25 Nov 2018 -- Southwest China's Guizhou Province has used remote sensing to monitor the operation of China's Five-hundred-meter Aperture Spherical Radio Telescope (FAST), the world's largest single-dish radio telescope.
- Petroleum Min: Chinese firm replaces Total in South Pars IRNA 25 Nov 2018 -- Iranian Petroleum Minister Bijan Zangeneh referred to Total withdrawal from South Pars phase 11 saying Chinese company CNPC replaced the French company.
- Millions of Taiwanese vote in key midterm local elections Press TV 24 Nov 2018 -- Millions of Taiwanese have begun casting their ballots in midterm local elections, seen as a referendum on the administration of pro-US President Tsai Ing-wen.
- Beijing Ramps Up Pressure After Taiwan Pro-Independence Party Sees Heavy Losses Sputnik 24 Nov 2018 -- On Saturday, Taiwan's President Tsai Ing-wen resigned as leader of the ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) after election defeats in key midterm polls.
- US Pushing Allies to Drop Huawei Over Trade War With China - Reports Sputnik 23 Nov 2018 -- This comes amid Washington's suspicions that the world's largest telecom equipment maker could be using its equipment for cyber espionage as part of cooperation with Chinese intelligence agencies.
- China to resume imports of oil from Iran soon Press TV 23 Nov 2018 -- China is said to be preparing to resume imports of crude oil from Iran in what analysts say could allay fears that US sanctions on the major producer would constrain global supplies.
- China to resume oil imports from Iran IRNA 23 Nov 2018 -- Asia's largest buyer of Iranian oil is said to have resumed purchases from the Persian Gulf state following a one-month hiatus, a move that will help allay fears that US sanctions on the OPEC producer will constrain global supplies.
- Armed men attack Chinese consulate in Pakistan's Karachi Press TV 23 Nov 2018 -- Three assailants strapped with explosives have attacked the Chinese consulate in Pakistan's southern city of Karachi, leaving two policemen dead.
- Pakistan Foils Suicide Attack On Karachi Chinese Consulate, Dozens Dead In Separate Attack In Northwest RFE/RL 23 Nov 2018 -- Pakistani police have killed three suspected suicide bombers who attacked the Chinese Consulate in Karachi before they were able to enter the facility, an incident which Pakistan's government has called a "conspiracy" against the strategic cooperation between Islamabad and Beijing.
- 34 Dead in Separate Attacks on Chinese Consulate, Crowd in Pakistan VOA 23 Nov 2018 -- Separate attacks by armed insurgents in Pakistan killed at least 34 people and wounded dozens of others.
- President Xi Jinping meets Kazakh PM People's Daily 23 Nov 2018 -- President Xi Jinping on Thursday met with Kazakh Prime Minister Bakytzhan Sagintayev in Beijing, and suggested that both sides focus on policy synergizing and well implement the alignment of China-proposed Silk Road Economic Belt and Kazakhstan's Nurly Zhol (Bright Path) economic program.
- APEC Breakdown Highlights Growing Divide Over Trade VOA 21 Nov 2018 -- Sharp exchanges between US Vice President Mike Pence and Chinese leader Xi Jinping at this year's Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) meetings and the regional body's failure to issue a joint statement was not just a sign of the deep divide between Washington and Beijing on trade, analysts say.
- India-China Rivalry Reflected in Regional Political Developments VOA 21 Nov 2018 -- Political developments in two tiny countries in the Indian Ocean region, Maldives and Sri Lanka, reflect the growing rivalry between India and China in the strategic region. A new government, which is resetting frayed ties with India, has taken over in the Maldives from the previous administration seen as pro-China. But political turmoil has engulfed Sri Lanka following the controversial reemergence of a pro-China leader on the political center stage of the island nation on India's southern tip.
- China Builds New Unidentified Structure in Disputed S China Sea - Think Tank Sputnik 21 Nov 2018 -- The Paracel Islands (also known as Xisha) is one of the territories in the South China Sea over which Beijing claims sovereignty, despite protests from other regional powers and attempts by Washington to prevent China from gaining a foothold there.
- China, Philippines agree to upgrade ties, jointly build Belt and Road People's Daily 21 Nov 2018 -- China and the Philippines agreed on Tuesday to upgrade their ties to comprehensive strategic cooperation and jointly advance the Belt and Road construction.
- China Building More Nuclear Attack Subs Than US Knew About - Report Sputnik 21 Nov 2018 -- US think tanks and the Pentagon have underestimated the number of Chinese nuclear submarines under construction, a new analysis suggests.
- China Gets Hold of 'War Room Software' Used by NATO - Reports Sputnik 21 Nov 2018 -- A deal with a Belgian software company puts China on an equal organisational footing with some of the West's elite military operations, giving Beijing significant insight into NATO military planning procedures.
- Vietnam Offers India Chance to Get Tougher Against Maritime Rival China VOA 20 Nov 2018 -- Advances in relations between Vietnam and India will help both countries resist Chinese expansion in Asia including the contested South China Sea, Asia scholars say.
- Expectations run high on Xi's visit to the Philippines People's Daily 20 Nov 2018 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping's signed article published Monday in the mainstream Philippine newspapers has raised high expectations in the Southeast Asian country for closer ties with China.
- China president arrives in Philippines in attempt to cozy up to US ally Press TV 20 Nov 2018 -- Amid competition between Beijing and Washington for supremacy in the strategic Pacific region, Chinese President Xi Jinping has said he just had a "milestone" visit to the Philippines, a long-time ally of the United States.
- PLA, US Army conduct military exchange in China People's Daily 19 Nov 2018 -- Senior Chinese and US military officers praised the successful completion of a disaster management exchange (DME) between the two militaries during the weekend in Nanjing, East China's Jiangsu Province, as the two sides agreed on the importance of building understanding and mutual trust through similar exchanges.
- Chinese President Calls on Philippines to Enhance Dialogue on S China Sea Issue Sputnik 19 Nov 2018 -- Beijing and Manila should intensify dialogue on settling territorial disputes in the South China Sea, Chinese President Xi Jinping said in an article published in The Philippine Star.
- China launches twin BeiDou navigation satellites People's Daily 19 Nov 2018 -- China sent two new satellites of the BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS) into space on a Long March-3B carrier rocket from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in Sichuan Province at 2:07 a.m. Monday.
- China urges US to stop wagging finger at others People's Daily 19 Nov 2018 -- Certain countries should stop finger-wagging at other countries but to match words with deeds, Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying said on Sunday when commenting on U.S. Vice President Mike Pence's recent remarks of China.
- US, Australia to Develop Joint Pacific Naval Base to Counter Chinese Influence Sputnik 18 Nov 2018 -- The US will join Australia in the redevelopment of a naval base in Papua New Guinea, countering China's influence in the Indo-Pacific region.
- Pence, Xi Sell Differing World Views VOA 18 Nov 2018 -- U.S. Vice President Mike Pence and Chinese President Xi Jinping offered competing economic views as they spoke to regional leaders at the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) CEO summit in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea's capital.
- APEC leaders fail to reach consensus at end of summit Press TV 18 Nov 2018 -- Leaders of countries forming the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) have for the first time in the body's history failed to issue a formal declaration at the end of their annual summit, a Chinese official says.
- APEC Leaders Recognize 'Growing Tensions,' Fail To Agree On Summit Communique RFE/RL 18 Nov 2018 -- Asia-Pacific leaders meeting in Papua New Guinea this weekend have been unable to agree on the final communique of a summit overshadowed by trade disputes between the United States and China.
- Chinese, U.S. militaries end disaster management exchange in Nanjing People's Daily 18 Nov 2018 -- Military personnel from the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) and U.S. Army Pacific (USARPAC) Saturday ended the Disaster Management Exchange 2018 in Nanjing, eastern China's Jiangsu Province.
- China's J-20 Stealth Fighter to Pursue Targets at Greater Distances – Reports Sputnik 18 Nov 2018 -- The fifth-generation Chinese Chengdu J-20 stealth fighter, which entered military service last year and participated at Airshow China 2018 in Zhuhai, will now be able to strike targets at greater distances, according to Beijing.
- Xi calls for inclusive, rule-based world economy at APEC meeting People's Daily 18 Nov 2018 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping stressed the importance of building an open, inclusive, innovative and rule-based world economy while addressing the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) CEO Summit here on Saturday.
- Pence: US Will Uphold Taiwan Relations Act, One China Policy VOA 17 Nov 2018 -- U.S. Vice President Mike Pence said Saturday that Washington will continue to uphold the "Taiwan Relations Act" and "One China Policy" after his much-watched meeting with Morris Chang, Taiwan's representative to a regional economic forum in Papua New Guinea.
- Chinese President intends to visit North Korea next year, South Korea says Press TV 17 Nov 2018 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has announced his intention to visit neighboring North Korea next year in response to an official invitation from North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, South Korea says.
- China chides US to portray Silk Road plan as 'trap' Press TV 17 Nov 2018 -- China's President Xi Jinping has rejected US criticism of Beijing's Belt and Road Initiative, saying it is not "a trap".
- 'Strike Enemies by Surprise': Chinese Army to Go Beyond Self-Defence – Report Sputnik 17 Nov 2018 -- The announcement came after Chinese President Xi Jinping pledged to complete the modernisation of the country's military by 2035 and to transform it into a world-class fighting force by 2050.
- PLA Xinjiang Troops Upgrade Training to Boost Counter-Terror Efforts Sputnik 16 Nov 2018 -- A Chinese army aviation brigade stationed in Northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region has upgraded its training in high-altitude and in adverse weather, a move that experts say will facilitate counter-terrorism and border patrol missions under extreme conditions.
- Architects of Hong Kong's 2014 Democracy Protests to Stand Trial VOA 16 Nov 2018 -- The founding leaders of Hong Kong's 2014 democracy protests will stand trial this Monday, nearly four years after the protests came to an end.
- 'That's Reality': Duterte Tells US South China Sea is Now in 'Beijing's Hands' Sputnik 15 Nov 2018 -- Beijing currently controls the vast majority of islands, reefs and shoals in the South China Sea, which are also claimed by a number of other nations in the region, including Taiwan, the Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei.
- China using fake news to undermine Taiwan's democracy: U.S. report CNA 15 Nov 2018 -- China is carrying out extensive "United Front" work to undermine Taiwan's democracy by spreading fake news through social media and other online tools, a United States report said Thursday.
- Chinese premier urges upgrading China-ASEAN strategic partnership People's Daily 15 Nov 2018 -- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang on Wednesday called for efforts to upgrade the strategic partnership between China and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), as the two sides adopted a key document to chart the course for their ties till 2030.
- China Brushes Aside Western Concerns Over Muslim Rights RFE/RL 15 Nov 2018 -- China says Western diplomats exceeded their diplomatic roles by issuing a letter expressing concern about mass detentions in the northwestern province of Xinjiang.
- Xi calls for confidence, resolve in reform, opening-up People's Daily 14 Nov 2018 -- President Xi Jinping on Tuesday called for efforts to boost Chinese people's confidence and determination to follow the Party along the path of socialism with Chinese characteristics and the path of reform and opening-up.
- We have never posed any threat to Europe: China Press TV 14 Nov 2018 -- China says it has never threatened Europe; the statement comes against the backdrop of a suggestion by French President Emmanuel Macron for building a military force to defend Europe against the United States, China and Russia.
- Cash for Drones: China Fighting Foreign Underwater Spying With Rewards Program Sputnik 14 Nov 2018 -- Earlier, the People's Liberation Army's official newspaper reported that China was working on the creation of an arsenal of advanced drones and a network of sensors to wage an underwater campaign against the United States "before a crisis evolves into war."
- Beijing on Macron's EU Army Proposal: China Has Never Been Threat to Europe Sputnik 14 Nov 2018 -- China has never posed a threat to Europe, but notes that the continent has the right to make its own choices on particular issues, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying stated.
- US Voices Opposition to China's Military Steps in South China Sea Sputnik 13 Nov 2018 -- The United States wants Beijing to withdraw its missiles from the Spratly Islands in the South China Sea, US officials announced during talks at the state department.
- 'We Will Not Seek Hegemony': Beijing Expects South China Sea Rulebook in 3 Years Sputnik 13 Nov 2018 -- Prior to attending the 33rd summit of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), Chinese Premier Li Keqiang announced on Tuesday that China is hoping to complete negotiations on a code of conduct for the South China Sea region in three years.
- China, US begin joint humanitarian assistance drill in Nanjing People's Daily 13 Nov 2018 -- Chinese and the US armed forces started an eight-day joint humanitarian assistance and disaster relief (HA/DR) drill on Monday in Nanjing, east China's Jiangsu Province.
- NATO Chief Worried About China Developing New Nukes Sputnik 13 Nov 2018 -- The US announced in October that it would leave the Intermediate Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty in the near future. President Donald Trump later suggested that the existing treaty should be expanded to include China.
- Chinese Air Force Plans to Expand Presence in Outer Space - Ministry Sputnik 13 Nov 2018 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army Air Force intends to increase its presence in space as part of a plan to create world-class strategic aviation, the Chinese Defense Ministry said in a statement.
- Belgian Lawmaker Suspected of Spying for China - Reports Sputnik 12 Nov 2018 -- Filip Dewinter, a member of the Belgian Federal Parliament from the right-wing Vlaams Belang (Flemish Interest) party, is suspected of advising a Belgium-based Chinese company, which allegedly attempted to influence the decision-making process in Belgium, the Het Laatste Nieuws newspaper reported on Monday.
- PLA Air Force plans expansion into space to modernize capability People's Daily 13 Nov 2018 -- The People's Liberation Army Air Force intends to expand its presence into space as part of its plan to become a world-class force, a senior officer said on Sunday.
- Xi urges HK, Macao to embrace nation's reform, opening-up for greater development People's Daily 13 Nov 2018 -- President Xi Jinping on Monday voiced the hope that Hong Kong and Macao will further develop themselves by embracing the nation's cause of reform and opening-up.
- China announces roadmap for building stronger modern air force People's Daily 12 Nov 2018 -- The Chinese Air Force on Sunday announced a roadmap for building a stronger modern air force in three steps.
- Pompeo calls on China to stop militarization of South China Sea Press TV 10 Nov 2018 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has called on China to stop what Washington claims to be militarization of the disputed South China Sea.
- Pompeo, Mattis Call on China to Remove Its Missiles From Spratly Islands Sputnik 10 Nov 2018 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Secretary of Defense James Mattis during talks with Chinese officials said the United States wants Beijing to withdraw its missiles from the Spratly islands in the South China Sea, the State Department said in a press release.
- China, U.S. defense ministers meet for postponed security dialogue People's Daily 10 Nov 2018 -- Chinese State Councilor and Minister of National Defense Wei Fenghe and U.S. Secretary of Defense James Mattis met here Friday afternoon to discuss bilateral and military-to-military ties.
- Analysts' Views Mixed on China, Saudi Aid to Pakistan VOA 09 Nov 2018 -- Pakistan has requested financial help from its close allies, including China and Saudi Arabia, and a bailout package from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to help revive its economy and deal with debt and balance-of-payments problems.
- US Presses China on Religious Rights, South China Sea, Taiwan VOA 09 Nov 2018 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo pressed their Chinese counterparts on religious freedom, freedom of navigation in the South China Sea and other issues Friday in a meeting aimed at setting up a summit between their nations' presidents later this month.
- Philippine navy hopes for more engagements with China, Russia People's Daily 09 Nov 2018 -- The Philippine Navy (PN) wants to have more engagements with the Chinese and Russian navies, noting the just-concluded maritime drill between China and the Southeast Asian countries' navies in the waters off China went well, the Philippine naval chief said on Thursday.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis' Meeting with The Minister of National Defense of the People's Republic of China, General Wei Fenghe DoD 09 Nov 2018
- New drone unveiled potentially for China's third aircraft carrier People's Daily 09 Nov 2018 -- A new drone with folding wings and the potential to be deployed on China's third aircraft carrier debuted at Airshow China 2018 in Zhuhai, South China's Guangdong Province this week.
- China unveils combat drone amid arms race with US Press TV 09 Nov 2018 -- China has displayed its new-generation stealth unmanned combat aircraft amid an ongoing arms race with the United States.
- Chinese President to Visit Philippines, Talk Infrastructure VOA 09 Nov 2018 -- A state visit by Chinese President Xi Jinping to the Philippines this month heralds more development aid and progress on joint undersea fuel exploration for a host country that's in the midst of economic change.
- Russia, China Lash Out At U.S. Sanctions While Forging Closer Ties RFE/RL 08 Nov 2018 -- Russian and Chinese leaders are lashing out at U.S. sanctions and tariffs that they say are undermining the global trading system built by Washington, and say the measures have served to cement closer economic and political ties between Beijing and Moscow.
- Country's first unmanned missile boat on display at Airshow China People's Daily 08 Nov 2018 -- China's first unmanned missile boat that recently tested missile launch is on display at the 12th China International Aviation and Aerospace Exhibition (Airshow China) in Zhuhai, South China's Guangdong province.
- China Unveils Stealth Drone for First Time at Zhuhai Airshow Sputnik 08 Nov 2018 -- On display at the 12th China International Aviation and Aerospace Exhibition, otherwise known as the Zhuhai Airshow, is a model of the country's new CH-7 unmanned aerial vehicle ‒ a stealth drone expected to be the first to hit global markets.
- CASIC Unveils New Anti-Ship Ballistic Missile Sputnik 08 Nov 2018 -- China Aerospace Science and Industry Corporation Limited (CASIC) showcased a new type of anti-ship ballistic missile at the Airshow China 2018 in Zhuhai, South China's Guangdong Province on Tuesday, which an expert says has the potential to destroy a hostile ship with one hit.
- China's Pledges to Boost Imports May Face Headwind Ahead VOA 08 Nov 2018 -- China has pledged to use its army of consumers to boost imports dramatically over the next decade or so – a move that is aimed in part at addressing complaints about its trade surplus and unfair trade practices.
- Russia to Deliver Su-35, S-400 to China No Later Than 2020 - Rostec Sputnik 06 Nov 2018 -- Russia and China have concluded contracts on deliveries of weapons to be used in operations on the ground, in the air and in the sea, Viktor Kladov, the head of the delegation of Russian state corporation Rostec at the Zhuhai airshow, told Sputnik on Tuesday.
- China developing new-generation rocket People's Daily 07 Nov 2018 -- China is developing a new-generation medium-lift carrier rocket, the Long March-8, which will be sent into space by 2020.
- J-20, J10-B jets dazzle spectators at China Airshow People's Daily 07 Nov 2018 -- A pair of Chinese fighter jets - the J-20 stealth fighter and a thrust-vectoring J-10B demonstrator aircraft - put on an impressive demonstration at Airshow China 2018 on Tuesday, confirming that the country's military aviation technology is advancing at a greatly accelerated pace.
- China will adhere to opening-up, multilateralism: Premier People's Daily 07 Nov 2018 -- China will firmly adhere to opening-up and the principle of multilateralism to push for the in-depth development of globalization, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang said on Tuesday.
- U.S. Benchmarking Capabilities Against China, Russia, Dunford Says AFPS 06 Nov 2018 -- Russia and China are near-peer competitors and the United States must benchmark military capabilities against these possible threats, Marine Corps Gen. Joe Dunford said at Duke University here last night.
- Saudi Arabia, China, among 14 nations under UN human rights spotlight: what you need to know UN News 02 Nov 2018 -- The United Nation's highest human rights body, the Human Rights Council (HRC), will start reviewing on Monday the track records of 14 countries, including Saudi Arabia and China. Here's our UN News guide to how it works and why it matters.
- Pakistani PM In China Seeking Aid To Deal With Debt Crisis RFE/RL 02 Nov 2018 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan and Chinese President Xi Jinping have held a meeting in Beijing as Pakistan faces a debt crisis and looks to China for additional financial support.
- Pakistani PM Visits China as Fiscal Crisis Looms VOA 02 Nov 2018 -- Pakistan's new prime minister, Imran Khan, is in China on a four-day visit, his first trip to the country since taking office in mid-August. The visit comes as the Pakistani government struggles with a financial crisis and as it looks to foreign countries for aid, while negotiating a bailout with the International Monetary Fund.
- Xi admits trade war with US put China's economy in 'uncertainty' Press TV 01 Nov 2018 -- China's President Xi Jinping on Thursday acknowledged that a trade war with the United States had already created a status of uncertainty for the world's second biggest economy.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list