Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2018 - China Special Weapons News
- MAC responds to China's incentive measures for Taiwanese people CNA 28 Feb 2018 -- Taiwan's Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said Wednesday that a set of measures put forth by China to court Taiwan's people is just a renewed effort to offer benefits in exchange for political loyalty toward Beijing.
- China committed to peaceful reunification: official CNA 28 Feb 2018 -- The Chinese government remains committed to the promotion of peaceful reunification of the two sides of the Taiwan Strait, as it seeks to abolish term limits on the presidency to allow current President Xi Jinping to stay in power indefinitely, according to China's Taiwan Affairs Office (TAO).
- Long March 11 carrier rockets to be used in country's first sea launch People's Daily 28 Feb 2018 -- China's Long March 11 carrier rockets will be deployed for the country's first sea launch mission later this year, their developer China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASC) said on Feb. 27, Science and Technology Daily reported.
- Editorial: CPC at the core of China's leadership People's Daily 28 Feb 2018 -- The Communist Party of China (CPC) is at the core of China's leadership, and it is the inevitable choice and result of the social revolution historically, theoretically and practically, the People's Daily Online said in an editorial published on Feb. 26.
- Liu's US visit designed to ease tensions People's Daily 28 Feb 2018 -- Analysts say there are hopes a visit to the United States beginning Tuesday by a high-ranking Chinese official will ease trade tensions and maintain steady bilateral ties.
- China Wants to Build a Nuclear-Powered Aircraft Carrier Within 7 Years Sputnik 28 Feb 2018 -- China's military wants to field its first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier by the middle of the next decade, according to a new report.
- Chinese Plane Enters South Korea's Air Defense Zone – Reports Sputnik 27 Feb 2018 -- China's aircraft flew into South Korea's air defense identification zone (KADIZ), spending over four hours there without giving prior notification, the Yonhap news agency reported citing defense authorities.
- China Hopes North Korea, US to Take Measures for Start of Dialogue Sputnik 27 Feb 2018 -- Beijing hopes that the positive trend in cooperation between Pyongyang and Seoul, which has emerged during the recent Winter Olympics in South Korea, will continue in a dialogue between North Korea and the US, both of which should take necessary steps for this, the Chinese Foreign Ministry stated.
- J-20 fighter jet significantly improves China's air combat capability People's Daily 27 Feb 2018 -- The capability of the Air Force of the People's Liberation Army of China to win battles is significantly improved with the recent commission of China's self-developed latest J-20 stealth fighter, said military expert.
- Whole new "two sessions" attracts global attention People's Daily 27 Feb 2018 -- As 2018 marks the 40th anniversary of China's reform and opening up, the whole new "two sessions", the country's top legislature and advisory body to be convened this March, will not only give direction to China's future development, but also become a window for the world to know more about the country.
- PLA advanced stealth fighter transforms air force capability: report People's Daily 26 Feb 2018 -- China's air force has marked a great upgrade in its ability to confront threats and even respond first, aviation experts said, as the country's latest stealth jet fighter, the J-20, has joined combat regiments of the People's Liberation Army (PLA).
- Editorial: China's political, institutional advantages People's Daily 26 Feb 2018 -- A proposal on amendments to China's Constitution was officially approved during the second plenary session of the 19th Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee.
- Constitutional amendment will improve CPC leadership Global Times 25 Feb 2018 -- According to the document about the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee's suggestion to amend some parts of the Constitution approved at the second plenary session of the 19th CPC Central Committee and released Sunday by the Xinhua News Agency, it has been added to the Constitution that the CPC leadership is the most substantive feature of socialism with Chinese characteristics; the second half of Article 79 that stipulates "The term of office of the president and vice-president of the People's Republic of China is the same as that of the National People's Congress, and they shall serve no more than two consecutive terms" will be deleted; China's national supervision commission will be given a constitutional place.
- CPC proposes change on Chinese president's term in Constitution People's Daily 25 Feb 2018 -- The Communist Party of China Central Committee proposed to remove the expression that the President and Vice-President of the People's Republic of China "shall serve no more than two consecutive terms" from the country's Constitution.
- Xi Jinping thought proposed to be included in Constitution People's Daily 25 Feb 2018 -- The Communist Party of China Central Committee proposed writing Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era into the country's Constitution.
- China's ruling party proposes removing 2-term limit for presidents Press TV 25 Feb 2018 -- China's ruling Communist Party has proposed that the limit for presidents to serve only two terms be removed from the constitution.
- Chinese Communist Party Proposes Removal of Presidential Term Limit Sputnik 25 Feb 2018 -- The Central Committee of the Communist Party of China proposed eliminating the paragraph saying that the chairman and vice-chairman of the PRC can "hold office for no more than two consecutive terms," from the country's constitution, according to Xinhua News Agency.
- China Proposes Dropping Term Limits for President Xi Jinping VOA 25 Feb 2018 -- China says it plans to scrap a two-term limit for the country's president and vice president, a move that could allow Chinese leader Xi Jinping to stay in office indefinitely.
- China Reacts Angrily to New US Sanctions Against North Korea VOA 24 Feb 2018 -- China responded angrily Saturday to new sanctions the United States imposed on North Korea, maintaining they were counterproductive to efforts to halt Pyongyang's nuclear and long-range missile development programs.
- China urges US to stop 'mistaken actions' on North Korea Press TV 24 Feb 2018 -- China has warned the United States that its wrong policies on North Korea could seriously undermine cooperation between Beijing and Washington to contain Pyongyang's weapons program.
- China Opposes US Korea-Related Sanctions, Urges Washington Not to Harm Relations Sputnik 24 Feb 2018 -- China has responded to the US' imposition of a new package of sanctions on North Korea, which also target Chinese entities and individuals.
- 'Chinese hypersonic heavy bomber' is groundless speculation of the West: Experts People's Daily 24 Feb 2018 -- Chinese experts pointed out that the recent "Chinese ultra-fast plane" hype reflects the West's "China threat" mindset, and emphasizes that the US's leading role in global development of ultra-fast planes is currently unshakable.
- Philippine President Draws Line on Cooperation with Maritime Rival China VOA 22 Feb 2018 -- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has placed a boundary on his fast-growing friendship with China by barring further Chinese activity off the Pacific coast and insisting that Beijing avoid new construction work in contested waters.
- China Denies Contacts with Separatist Militants in Pakistan VOA 22 Feb 2018 -- Chinese officials have denied reports that they are in contact with separatist militants in Pakistan's restive Baluchistan province to secure tens of billions of dollars' worth of infrastructure projects planned for the area.
- China's Transgressions Expose Vulnerability of India's Chicken Neck - Navy Chief Sputnik 22 Feb 2018 -- Siliguri, the only corridor that connects India's northeastern states to the rest of the country, feeds the primary military formations which would counter China in the event of a conflict. India fears that the frequent transgressions by the Chinese PLA are part of a plan to strangle this corridor.
- China Probing Possible Breach of UNSC's N Korea Sanctions During Sea Transfer Sputnik 22 Feb 2018 -- Beijing is currently examining a Japanese report that a suspected Chinese vessel may have carried out a cargo transfer with a North Korean ship in violation of the UN Security Council's (UNSC) sanctions, Geng Shuang, the Chinese Foreign Ministry's spokesman, said.
- Western Dragon: Chinese Air Force Deploy Advanced Fighters to Indian Border Sputnik 22 Feb 2018 -- The People's Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) has boosted their high altitude capacities along their southwestern borders, sending more top-of-the-line jet fighters to parts of China that border rival state India.
- Chinese Air Force Passed Taiwan and Philippine Airspace on 'Long Haul' exercise Sputnik 22 Feb 2018 -- A unit from China's People's Liberation Army Air Force, flew through the Bashi Channel between Taiwan and the Philippines as part of a long-range flight training mission in the western Pacific Wednesday, according to Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense (MND).
- Chinese Ships Conduct Patrol Near Disputed Senkaku Islands - Reports Sputnik 21 Feb 2018 -- A special headquarters has been established at the office of Prime Minister of Japan Shinzo Abe after Chinese patrol ships entered the waters of the Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands several times, according to NHK Japanese media.
- PLA air force unit passes through Bashi Channel CNA 21 Feb 2018 -- A unit from the China's People's Liberation Army air force, including reconnaissance planes and jet fighters, flew through the Bashi Channel between Taiwan and the Philippines as part of a long-range flight training mission in the western Pacific Wednesday, according to Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense (MND).
- 'China deploys warships to East Indian Ocean' amid rivalry with India Press TV 21 Feb 2018 -- A Chinese news portal says 11 Chinese warships have entered the East Indian Ocean this month, in what seems to have been a show of strength amid a rivalry in the region with India and a crisis in the Maldives.
- Chinese Fighter Jets Train Over Tibet Sputnik 21 Feb 2018 -- The Chinese air force has started carrying out air exercises in the western part of the country over Tibet and close to the India-China border, as India's capabilities grow.
- US Wary of Russian and Chinese Antisatellite Weaponry Sputnik 19 Feb 2018 -- US National Intelligence believes the two countries are planning to create and use such weapons to knock out any US and allied satellites that could give them the upper hand on the ground.
- Beijing Building World's Largest Drone Ship Test Site by South China Sea Sputnik 18 Feb 2018 -- In efforts to increase its presence in contested waters, China has begun construction on the world's largest test site for unmanned vessels at one of the nation's many gateways to the South China Sea.
- China voices firm opposition to Indian PM's visit to disputed area People's Daily 16 Feb 2018 -- China on Thursday expressed firm opposition to the visit by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to a disputed area, urging the Indian side not to take action that could complicate the boundary issue.
- US Navy: China Militarizing South China Sea With 7 New Bases Sputnik 16 Feb 2018 -- Beijing has expanded its military presence in the South China Sea with the construction of seven new military bases, the head of the US Pacific Command told Congress this week.
- Fearing Spying, US Intelligence Warns Against Using Chinese Smartphones Sputnik 15 Feb 2018 -- US intelligence leaders have publicly warned US citizens not use smartphones made by Chinese companies Huawei and ZTE, as those companies are "beholden to foreign governments," and they fear those companies' products could be used for espionage, information theft or foreign influence.
- U.S. must not accept any coercive unification moves by China: officer CNA 15 Feb 2018 -- A senior American military officer said in the United States Congress on Wednesday that the U.S. will continue to help Taiwan defend itself and that any attempt by China to force Taiwan into unification must be deemed unacceptable.
- China, ASEAN to begin consultation on Code of Conduct in South China Sea in March People's Daily 14 Feb 2018 -- China and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) will start consultation on the Code of Conduct in the South China Sea in early March, according to a consultative meeting between China and the Philippines on Tuesday.
- Chinese Paper Says British Navy is Only Attention Seeking Over South China Plan Sputnik 14 Feb 2018 -- Plans by Britain to sail a Royal Navy warship through the disputed South China Sea later this year is merely an attention-seeking exercise, according to China's state media that could have potentially damaging trade implications between the two countries.
- UK seeks to grab attention with planned South China Sea mission: China Press TV 14 Feb 2018 -- A leading Chinese newspaper has criticized Britain's decision to sail one of its warships through the disputed South China Sea next month.
- Beidou positioned to provide global coverage People's Daily 14 Feb 2018 -- Satellite network will provide data for countries participating in the Belt and Road Initiative, as Zhao Lei reports.
- China Approaches Parity With US Military in All Domains - PACOM Chief Sputnik 14 Feb 2018 -- China's military buildup is approaching near parity with the United States on the land, sea, air and in cyber warfare, US Pacific Command (PACOM) commander Admiral Harry Harris told Congress on Wednesday.
- China's ex-Politburo member charged with bribery Press TV 13 Feb 2018 -- The state prosecutor in China has charged a former Communist Party of China Politburo member with bribery, making him the most senior former official to be indicted amid President Xi Jinping's anti-corruption campaign.
- China's Solar-Powered Drone Test-Fires Missiles in Near Space Sputnik 13 Feb 2018 -- China recently completed a test of a solar-powered drone capable of flying at extremely high altitudes for more than half a day straight. And it can also shoot missiles.
- MOFA voices regret after China puts pressure on Taiwan again CNA 12 Feb 2018 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) on Monday expressed regret after the Papua New Guinea government ordered Taiwan's representative office in the country to remove the title "Republic of China" from its name under Chinese pressure.
- China's newest stealth drone takes to the sky for its maiden flight People's Daily 12 Feb 2018 -- China's top aircraft research center on Monday announced the successful test flight of the country's newest stealth drone, a long-endurance unmanned aircraft that can fly under the radar.
- Beijing Poised to Build World's Biggest Test Site for Drone Ships in S China Sea Sputnik 12 Feb 2018 -- The development comes a month after China presented an unmanned vessel, claiming it to be the fastest in the world with a maximum speed of more than 90kmph.
- Beijing warns US against passage of Taiwan bill Press TV 09 Feb 2018 -- China has warned the United States against passing a bill that would extend Washington's bilateral ties with Taiwan, which China sees as part of its territory.
- China Outraged by New US Draft Bill Widening Relations With Taiwan Sputnik 09 Feb 2018 -- The proposed legislation will encourage contacts between officials in the US and Taiwan, which Beijing considers to be its breakaway province.
- China Denies Reports It's Building Military Base in Pakistan Sputnik 09 Feb 2018 -- Unverified reports have surfaced claiming that China may be in the process of acquiring land in Pakistan to build its second-ever military base outside of its sovereign territory. Beijing has denied that they have any such plans.
- China's J-20 Stealth Jet Lines Up For Combat Duty in Disputed South China Sea Sputnik 09 Feb 2018 -- China's J-20 stealth fighter jet, one of the few fifth-generation jets in the world, has been deployed to the South China Sea and is armed with live weapons to patrol the disputed waters.
- Chinese Army Pushes for Stronger Defense Tech Intellectual Property Protection Sputnik 09 Feb 2018 -- The People's Liberation Army (PLA) pushed for more robust protection of the intellectual properties behind Chinese military and technological innovations in an article published in the PLA-run China National Defense News.
- China, Russia voice support for Iran's nuclear deal amid US threats Press TV 08 Feb 2018 -- China and Russia have reaffirmed their support for Iran's nuclear deal with six world powers, including Beijing and Moscow, amid US President Donald Trump's threats against the multinational accord.
- China to Develop Sea-Based Missile Interceptors Sputnik 08 Feb 2018 -- China is planning to develop a sea-based missile defense launcher after completing a successful intercept of a ballistic missile in space from a ground-based system earlier this week, according to the South China Morning Post.
- China's 'killers in the sky' practice combat Press TV 08 Feb 2018 -- China says it has sent its Russian-made Sukhoi Su-35 advanced fighter jets for training under "real combat" conditions in the South China Sea, a potential show of force against the controversial presence of the United States military in the disputed region.
- China's Air Force part of joint patrol over S China Sea People's Daily 08 Feb 2018 -- The Chinese air force recently sent its Su-35 fighter jets to take part in a joint combat patrol over the South China Sea. [Photo/Weibo of the Air Force]
- Ground missile defense system tested People's Daily 07 Feb 2018 -- China launched its first ground-based midcourse missile defense interception test in four years on Monday, a move experts said would further improve China's long-range missile defense capability during wartime.
- Xi: Multiparty ties need new impetus People's Daily 07 Feb 2018 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee, has called for multiparty cooperation to better meet the needs of the new era of Socialism with Chinese Characteristics.
- China's Fleet of Airborne Early Warning Aircraft Just Grew Massively Sputnik 07 Feb 2018 -- China has churned out several new KJ-500 airborne early warning aircraft, a sign that the nation's defense industrial base may be rapidly maturing.
- Chinese Su-35 Fighter Jets Train for Combat Conditions in South China Sea Sputnik 07 Feb 2018 -- On Wednesday, China's People's Liberation Army Air Force announced that Su-35 fighter jets have been sent out for a joint combat patrol mission in the South China Sea.
- China conducts land-based mid-course missile interception test Ministry of National Defense of the People's Republic of China 06 Feb 2018 -- China carried out a land-based mid-course missile interception test within its territory on Feb. 5, 2018 and achieved the desired test objective.
- China tests missile interceptor system Press TV 06 Feb 2018 -- China has successfully tested an anti-missile system, the Chinese Defense Ministry has announced, stressing the defensive nature of the system.
- China Intercepts Missile in Space One Week After Failed US Attempt Sputnik 06 Feb 2018 -- Less than a week after a US missile defense system failed to intercept a ballistic missile outside the Earth's atmosphere, the Chinese Ministry of National Defense claimed to have triumphed where the Americans stumbled.
- Beijing: No Troops, Missile Defense Batteries Moved to North Korean Border Sputnik 06 Feb 2018 -- The Chinese Ministry of National Defense rejected media reports on Tuesday that People's Liberation Army troops had been transferred to the China-North Korea border for missile defense purposes and potential war preparations.
- Chinese Transgressions Result of Differing Perceptions of Border: Indian Def Min Sputnik 05 Feb 2018 -- 2017 was a year marked by heightened tensions at the India-China border since the 1962 war. The number of transgressions into the Indian side by China's People Liberation Army's (PLA) almost doubled during the year, according to the Indian defense ministry.
- Canadian ambassador to South Sudan hails Chinese peacekeepers People's Daily 05 Feb 2018 -- Canada's ambassador to South Sudan, Alan Hamson, lauded the service of Chinese peacekeepers on Friday, after meeting them on an inspection tour to a South Sudanese town.
- China prohibits export of more dual-use goods to North Korea Press TV 05 Feb 2018 -- China has released yet another list of commodities prohibited from export to North Korea, saying the items could likely be used to develop weapons of mass destruction, amid a persisting standoff between the North and the US over Pyongyang's nuclear and missile programs.
- China Expands Sanctions Against North Korea, Bans Exports of Dual-Use Products Sputnik 05 Feb 2018 -- China has released an enhanced list of goods banned for export to North Korea, saying the items could be used to build weapons of mass destruction, amid a dead heat between North Korea and the US over weapons programs.
- China firmly opposes U.S. Nuclear Posture Review: spokesman People's Daily 05 Feb 2018 -- China firmly opposes the Nuclear Posture Review (NPR) published by the United States Department of Defense, a spokesman from China's National Defense Ministry said Sunday.
- Chinese warship reportedly equipped with electromagnetic railgun People's Daily 05 Feb 2018 -- In the sci-fi box office smash "Transformers," the human race defeats the Decepticons in an epic battle by using high-tech electromagnetic weapons – a scenario which is likely to be realized by Chinese military forces, experts noted.
- AI Power: China Designing Sub That Could 'Think for Itself' - Reports Sputnik 05 Feb 2018 -- Chinese researchers believe that equipping nuclear submarines with AI would improve their commanders' thinking skills and their ability to win undersea battles.
- China, Iran, Russia Lash Out At U.S. Nuclear Policy Plan RFE/RL 04 Feb 2018 -- Russia, Iran, and China have strongly criticized Washington's newly revealed policy plan to expand U.S. nuclear weapons capabilities in order to deter other countries.
- Trump urged to stand firm against China on Taiwan issue: report CNA 24 Feb 2018 -- Taiwanese officials and lawmakers are calling on the administration of United States President Donald Trump to step up its support for Taiwan amid increasing political pressure by China, according to a U.S. media report.
- China: Who's a nuclear menace? Us or US? Press TV 04 Feb 2018 -- China has expressed firm opposition to a recent US government report describing Beijing as a potential nuclear rival, also calling on Washington to reduce its much larger nuclear arsenal and join in efforts to promote regional stability.
- Chinese MoD Calls US Assumptions About Country's Nuclear Development Absurd Sputnik 04 Feb 2018 -- The Chinese Defense Ministry expressed its objection on Sunday to the "absurd" assumptions made in the US Nuclear Posture Review about the country's plans to increase its nuclear weapons capability.
- China-Latin America ties based on common interests: Beijing Press TV 03 Feb 2018 -- China has denounced as disrespectful the latest US warning to Latin American countries about excessive reliance on economic ties with Beijing, saying economic partnership in the region is "based on common interests and mutual needs."
- China is getting a foothold in Latin America: Tillerson Press TV 02 Feb 2018 -- US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has warned Latin American countries against excessive reliance on economic ties with China, saying Beijing is establishing "a foothold in Latin America."
- Tillerson Urges Latin America To Beware Of Russia, China RFE/RL 02 Feb 2018 -- U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson warned countries of the Western Hemisphere to beware of "alarming" actions by Russia and China in their region, urging them to work with the United States instead.
- 'China in talks to help build base in Afghanistan' Press TV 02 Feb 2018 -- China has been in talks with neighboring Afghanistan to help build a military base there, amid concerns about militants slipping into Chinese territory from the war-torn country, Afghan officials say.
- China Reportedly Negotiating Creation of Military Base With Afghanistan Sputnik 02 Feb 2018 -- The military base will be reportedly constructed in Afghanistan's northeastern province of Badakhshan that borders China's Xinjiang – a restive region with a Muslim Uighur minority that Beijing views as a potential source of instability.
- 'China threat' theory reflects narrow-minded mentality People's Daily 01 Feb 2018 -- On Jan. 19, the U.S. Department of Defense published a summary of the 2018 National Defense Strategy (NDS), which labels China as a "revisionist country" that poses security challenges to the United States.
- Tillerson Warns Against China, Russia Engagement in Latin America VOA 01 Feb 2018 -- U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson warned Thursday that China and Russia were assuming "alarming" roles in Latin America, and he urged regional powers to work with the United States instead.
- Xi stresses developing modernized economy People's Daily 01 Feb 2018 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, has called for the development of a modernized economy to push the country's economic development to a new level.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list