Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2017 - China Special Weapons News
- Kenya's standard gauge railway service officially begins operations People's Daily 31 May 2017 -- Kenya began operations on the Chinese-built Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) Wednesday in a drive to revolutionize its transportation sector and speed up industrialization.
- Interview: Chinese-built railway pushes forward Kenya's modernization drive People's Daily 31 May 2017 -- The 480 km railway linking Kenya's largest port city Mombasa to capital Nairobi, slated to be officially launched on May 31, will be a key infrastructure project that will push forward the East Africa nation's modernization drive, a senior company executive said Monday.
- Thailand, China vow to push forward all-round development of military ties People's Daily 31 May 2017 -- Thailand and China pledged here Tuesday to joint hands to push forward the all-round development of the military relations between the two countries.
- China to terminate all military paid services by 2018 People's Daily 31 May 2017 -- The Central Military Commission (CMC) will terminate all paid services provided by the military by the end of June 2018, according to a military professor.
- China Warns India Against Infrastructure Development Along the Border Sputnik 30 May 2017 -- China has asked India to be cautious and maintain restraint over infrastructure development along the India-China border. The Chinese Foreign Ministry statement came after Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated a strategic bridge which links Assam with Arunachal Pradesh.
- China Will Still Like the Philippines Despite Reported War Threat VOA 29 May 2017 -- China will keep working toward a stronger friendship with the Philippines, which it sees as a valuable new ally in Southeast Asia, despite the Philippine president's comment that Beijing's top leader once threatened war over a disputed tract of sea, analysts say.
- China says US plane intercept was safe Press TV 28 May 2017 -- China has rejected US allegations that a recent encounter between two Chinese fighter jets and an American surveillance plane over the South China Sea was "unsafe and unprofessional."
- China's Defense Ministry Urges US to Respect its Borders After Intercepting Jet Sputnik 28 May 2017 -- The Chinese Defense Ministry urged Washington to halt its military maneuvers near China's borders as it violates the national security and sovereignty in the light of the recent incidents, when Beijing intercepted a US military plane and a warship.
- Beijing Expresses 'Strong Protest' Over G7 Discussing South China Sea Dispute Sputnik 28 May 2017 -- Beijing strongly opposes the statement, made by the countries of the G7 summit in Italy, where the states expressed concern over the ongoing disputes in regards to the South China and East China seas, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang said Sunday.
- China 'strongly dissatisfied' with G7 statement Press TV 28 May 2017 -- A senior Chinese official says his country is "strongly dissatisfied" with the mention of ongoing disputes in regards to the South and East China Seas in the final communiqué of the recent G7 summit in Italy.
- China denounces G7 interference in its sea issues People's Daily 28 May 2017 -- China strongly denounced the communique released after a G7 summit, saying it interfered in the East China Sea and South China Sea issues in the guise of international law, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lu Kang said early Sunday.
- Chinese aircraft take off in international defense market People's Daily 28 May 2017 -- Chinese-developed aircraft have been in the global spotlight recently with a series of maiden flights of export-oriented models.
- China's defense ministry: Chinese military aircraft investigates US spy plane People's Daily 28 May 2017 -- China's Ministry of National Defense spokesman, Wu Qian, said on Sunday that Chinese military aircraft investigated and verified a US surveillance aircraft that entered Hong Kong's airspace on Thursday.
- US Navy accuses Chinese fighter jets of conducting 'unsafe' maneuver, but China calls similar operations 'professional and safe' People's Daily 27 May 2017 -- Two Chinese J-10 fighter jets were accused by the U.S. Navy of conducting unsafe and unprofessional maneuvers while intercepting a U.S. surveillance aircraft near the South China Sea on May 24. This incident is the second close brush involving American and Chinese aircraft in the disputed region this month.
- N Korea issue no good reason for THAAD deployment: Russia, China Press TV 27 May 2017 -- Russia and China have once again voiced opposition to the deployment of a US missile system to South Korea, saying the North Korean nuclear program should not be used as a pretext for military build-up on the troubled peninsula.
- Chinese jets 'unsafely' intercept US spy plane: Officials Press TV 26 May 2017 -- Chinese fighter jets have intercepted an American "surveillance" aircraft near Hong Kong, US officials say, days after a US navy warship challenged China's territorial claims in the South China Sea.
- Russia to Supply China, India With Helicopters by 2020 – Manufacturer Sputnik 26 May 2017 -- Russia is to supply several countries with the Mi-8, Ka-32 and Ansat helicopters, Deputy CEO of the Russian Helicopters company.
- China's latest-generation air and space defensive missiles complete flight test People's Daily 26 May 2017 -- The latest generation of China's air and space defensive missiles have completed a flight test, according to the country's aerospace authorities. The missiles are able to hit targets 10 times faster than bullets at an altitude of dozens of kilometers in the air. The development is a giant leap forward for Chinese weaponry and will serve to further secure the country.
- Xi's reform methods People's Daily 26 May 2017 -- Reform, undoubtedly, is the major agenda of the Communist Party of China (CPC). Chinese President Xi Jinping has presided over all 35 meetings of the Central Leading Group for Deepening Overall Reform over the past three years.
- China not after expanding influence with Silk Road: Defense Ministry Press TV 26 May 2017 -- China's Defense Ministry says a Chinese trade project commonly known as the Silk Road has no military or geostrategic goals, dismissing claims that Beijing seeks to expand its global footprint with the initiative.
- China's defense ministry: US navy patrol not conducive to peace in S.China Sea People's Daily 25 May 2017 -- China's Ministry of National Defense spokesman Ren Guoqiang said on Thursday that two Chinese warships warned a US Navy warship to leave after it sailed within 12 nautical miles of Meiji Reef of China's Nansha Islands in the South China Sea.
- US Naval Vessel Sails Near Chinese-held Reef in South China Sea VOA 25 May 2017 -- A U.S. Navy warship on Thursday sailed within 22 kilometers (12 nautical miles) of a Chinese-controlled reef in the South China Sea, in the first mission under President Donald Trump to challenge Beijing's territorial claims in the disputed waterway.
- China blasts 'trespassing' by US warship Press TV 25 May 2017 -- China has accused the US of trespassing after an American warship sailed near a reef in the South China Sea amid growing tensions between Beijing and Washington.
- US warship challenges China's claims in South China Sea Press TV 25 May 2017 -- For the first time under new US President Donald Trump, a US Navy warship has sailed close to a disputed South China Sea island controlled by China, a move that will likely exacerbate US-China tensions.
- China Blames US for S China Sea Militarization Over Warship Sailing - Ministry Sputnik 25 May 2017 -- Chinese Defense Ministry accused Washington of militarization of the South China Sea region, following sailing of an US Navy destroyer near the disputed Spratly Islands chain.
- China to Build Global Navigation Satellite System by 2020 Sputnik 25 May 2017 -- China plans to build a global navigation satellite system, which is expected to provide service to users around the world, by the year 2020.
- Xi calls for "strong, modern" navy People's Daily 25 May 2017 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for efforts to build the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy into a strong and modern force to lend support for the realization of the Chinese dream of national rejuvenation and the dream of a strong army.
- India Risks Annoying China With Its New Tsunami-Warning System in S China Sea Sputnik 25 May 2017 -- India's plans for setting up a tsunami early warning center in the disputed South China Sea could annoy China, which sees the region as its sole preserve.
- China's UN envoy: Why not to have dialogue with North Korea? Press TV 24 May 2017 -- China's ambassador to the UN says despite North Korea's missile and nuclear tests, dialogue can be held with Pyongyang.
- China Calls on US, Japan, South Korea to Reset Relations With DPRK Sputnik 24 May 2017 -- The Chinese ambassador to the United Nations Liu Zeyi urged the United States, Japan and South Korea to start a dialogue with North Korea.
- Xi calls for "strong, modern" navy People's Daily 24 May 2017 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday called for efforts to build the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy into a strong and modern force to lend support for the realization of the Chinese dream of national rejuvenation and the dream of a strong army.
- Taiwan drill tests defense capability against air attack by China CNA 23 May 2017 -- All three branches of Taiwan's military took part in a drill Tuesday to test the country's defense capability against a simulated attack by China, in the second stage of this year's Han Kuang series of military exercises, according to the military.
- Pakistan Faces Challenges to Curb Militancy to Protect Chinese Investment VOA 23 May 2017 -- Pakistan views a project to expand its port in Gwadar and link it to China as a way to provide jobs and an economic boost to Balochistan, the country's poorest province.
- China's Z-19E armed helicopter offers export advantages: Military expert People's Daily 23 May 2017 -- China's Z-19E armed helicopter, which took its maiden flight on May 18, has major advantages over its international rivals due to its lower price point and competitive trade mode, said Chinese military expert Du Wenlong.
- China Soft Power Part II: Beijing Turns to Hollywood to Win Hearts and Minds Radio Free Asia 22 May 2017 -- Having suffered setbacks in its attempts to improve its image around the world, China now appears to have found the key to success by investing in Hollywood.
- China rejects US aircraft surveillance over Yellow Sea: Defense Ministry People's Daily 22 May 2017 -- China's defense ministry on Friday rejected the US accusation on China's "unprofessional" intercept of a US reconnaissance aircraft over the Yellow Sea and urged the US to stop such activities.
- Eye in the Sky: China Rolls Out Advanced Radar for Jet Fighters Sputnik 22 May 2017 -- The Chinese aviation and defense company AVIC has announced the creation of a new light radar system for fighter jets which is expected to help China become a major global supplier of military aircraft.
- NYT's spy in China story full of narcissism Global Times 21 May 2017 -- The Chinese government allegedly killed or imprisoned more than a dozen CIA sources between 2010 and 2012, dismantling US spying operations in the country, The New York Times reported on Saturday.
- Xi calls for public security forces to be loyal to CPC People's Daily 20 May 2017 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping met with heroes and role models from public security departments across the country on Friday, stressing loyalty to the Communist Party of China (CPC).
- China warns over US close-up surveillance People's Daily 20 May 2017 -- China has warned the United States that close-up surveillance of China can easily cause misunderstandings.
- China Rejects US Allegations of Aircraft Intercept Over Yellow Sea - Ministry Sputnik 20 May 2017 -- Chinese Ministry of National Defense refuted allegations of the US Pacific Air Forces of having "unprofessionally" intercepted a US reconnaissance aircraft over the Yellow Sea, the ministry's spokesman Wu Qian said on Saturday.
- China jets intercept US spy plane over East China Sea: US official Press TV 19 May 2017 -- The United States says two Chinese jets have intercepted a US spy plane flying over the East China Sea.
- Two Chinese Fighter Jets Intercept US Plane Over East China Sea Sputnik 19 May 2017 -- Chinese fighter jets reportedly intercepted a US military aircraft over the East China Sea.
- Philippine President Alleges China Threatened War VOA 19 May 2017 -- Philippine leader Rodrigo Duterte says Chinese President Xi Jinping threatened him with war if the Philippines begins drilling for oil in a disputed part of the South China Sea.
- Xi calls for China-ROK relations to return to normal track People's Daily 19 May 2017 -- President Xi Jinping said Friday that China was ready to work with the Republic of Korea (ROK) to return bilateral ties to the normal track.
- China designates first peacekeeping helicopter unit People's Daily 19 May 2017 -- China has established its first peacekeeping helicopter unit for operations in Sudan. The unit was established by an army aviation corp of the 81st Group Army of the PLA. On May 19, the unit took oaths during a special ceremony.
- Russian Experts Give Their Impressions of China's 'Stealth Drone-Like' Chopper Sputnik 19 May 2017 -- China's new attack and reconnaissance helicopter, the Z-19E, made its maiden flight over the port city of Harbin, northeastern China on Thursday. Observers from Zvezda – the official television network of the Russian Defense Ministry, were impressed with the chopper's sleek styling, but suggested that its combat capabilities are questionable.
- China, UAE pledge to advance military cooperation People's Daily 18 May 2017 -- Fan Changlong, vice chairman of China's Central Military Commission, and Chang Wanquan, Chinese defense minister and state councilor, Wednesday met separately with Mohammed Al-Bowardi, Minister of State for Defense of the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
- China, SE Asian Nations Agree on 'Code of Conduct' for South China Sea VOA 18 May 2017 -- China and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) have agreed to a framework for a code of conduct in the South China Sea, a development that could ease tensions in the disputed waters.
- China succeeds in mining combustible ice in South China Sea People's Daily 18 May 2017 -- China has succeeded in collecting samples of combustible ice in the South China Sea, a major breakthrough that may lead to a global energy revolution, Minister of Land and Resources Jiang Daming said Thursday.
- Moon's special envoy heads to China for talks on THAAD, North Korea People's Daily 18 May 2017 -- A special envoy of South Korean President Moon Jae-in headed to China on the morning of May 18 for discussions about U.S. missile defense system THAAD and ways to contain North Korea, Yonhap News Agency reported.
- South Korean envoy in China to mend strained ties Press TV 18 May 2017 -- China has asked the new government of South Korea to make efforts toward improving strained relations between the two neighboring countries.
- Chinese naval fleet calls at Myanmar port to enhance exchange People's Daily 18 May 2017 -- A Chinese naval fleet comprising three warships -- Changchun, Jingzhou and Chaohu of Escort Task Group called at the Myanmar International Terminals Thilawa (MITT) in Yangon's Thanlyin township Thursday morning.
- Lift Off: New Chinese Attack Chopper Takes Maiden Flight Sputnik 18 May 2017 -- China's latest domestically produced military vehicle has made its first flight.
- In Sign of Closer Sino-Philippine Ties, US Naval Exercises Skip a Disputed Sea VOA 17 May 2017 -- Annual exercises held by the Philippine and U.S. navies are skipping the South China Sea this year as the Southeast Asian nation's leader takes another step toward a stronger political and economic relationship with China, the sea's most ambitious claimant.
- Military Buildup: China Installs Anti-Frogman Guns in South China Sea Sputnik 17 May 2017 -- China has reportedly further militarized a disputed reef in the South China Sea, just days after agreeing to minimize tensions with Vietnam.
- China sets up defense systems on South China Sea reef Press TV 17 May 2017 -- China has set up rocket launchers on a reef in the disputed South China Sea as a defensive measure against Vietnamese military combat divers.
- Xi says China willing to assist Myanmar in peace progress People's Daily 17 May 2017 -- President Xi Jinping said Tuesday that China is willing to continue to provide Myanmar with assistance in its internal peace progress.
- China dispatches 5th peacekeeping force to Mali People's Daily 16 May 2017 -- A team of 190 officers and soldiers Tuesday departed from northeast China's Dalian for a United Nationspeacekeeping mission in Mali.
- China Putting Stamp on Globalization With Belt and Road VOA 16 May 2017 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping says countries participating in the two-day Belt and Road Forum have agreed to an action plan with a list of 270 goals
- China, Vietnam Agree to Minimize South China Sea Disputes Sputnik 15 May 2017 -- As tensions continue to mount on the Korean Peninsula, Chinese officials showed diplomatic progress with Vietnam over territorial disputes in the South China Sea.
- China's Xi Confident In Future Of 'One Belt, One Road' Plan RFE/RL 15 May 2017 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has expressed confidence in the future of his One Belt, One Road initiative, a plan that could increase Beijing's global influence on trade and geopolitics.
- North Korean Missile Test Condemned by US, Tokyo, Seoul, Beijing VOA 14 May 2017 -- North Korea launched a missile Sunday in an unusual high-altitude ballistic path that indicated it might be a new two-stage liquid-fueled rocket capable of flying up to 4,500 kilometers.
- Russia, China Express Concern Over New North Korean Missile Test RFE/RL 14 May 2017 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and Chinese leader Xi Jinping have voiced concern about rising tensions on the Korean Peninsula after North Korea fired a ballistic missile on May 14, Putin's spokesman said.
- China pledges $124bn to Silk Road initiative Press TV 14 May 2017 -- China has pledged as much as $124 billion to a project which is meant to revive the ancient Silk Road intercontinental trade route.
- China's Xi Says Silk Road Plan Expands Finance, Security Ties RFE/RL 14 May 2017 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has called for closer cooperation across Asia and Europe in areas from anti-terrorism to finance, as leaders from 29 countries gathered to promote a Chinese trade initiative that could increase Beijing's global influence on trade and geopolitics.
- Beijing deploys AWACS aircraft near South China Sea: Report Press TV 13 May 2017 -- Satellite imagery purportedly shows that the Chinese military has deployed its advanced airborne early warning and control airplanes to a military airbase near the disputed South China Sea.
- China Deploys New Spy Aircraft in Disputed South China Sea Sputnik 12 May 2017 -- China has extended its surveillance and monitoring operations to include the deployment of a new early warning system- and radar-equipped aircraft.
- China willing to work with S. Korea, Xi tells Moon in phone conversation People's Daily 11 May 2017 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping congratulated South Korea's newly-elected President Moon Jae-in in a phone conversation on Thursday.
- South Korea to Send Envoys to China to Discuss THAAD, North Korea VOA 11 May 2017 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in's office said Thursday he plans to send a delegation to Beijing to discuss North Korea's nuclear program and China's concerns about a U.S. missile defense system being deployed in South Korea.
- China issues regulation on military legislation People's Daily 10 May 2017 -- President Xi Jinping, who is also chairman of the Central Military Commission, has signed a decree that will release a regulation on military legislation.
- Defense Ministry: PLA Rocket Force test-fires new-type missile weapons People's Daily 10 May 2017 -- The Rocket Force of the Chinese People's Liberation Army(PLA) recently conducted an operational test for its new-type missile weapons in waters of the Bohai Sea and achieved the expected results, said the Information Bureau of China's Ministry of National Defense(MND) on Tuesday.
- What Makes New Chinese Sea-Skimming Combat Drone Perfect for South China Sea Sputnik 10 May 2017 -- Pictures have emerged on social media of a new Chinese anti-ship drone that uses ground effect technology to fly at an extremely low altitude above the water.
- Thailand purchases Chinese submarine, the country's first since WWII People's Daily 09 May 2017 -- The Royal Thai Navy (RTN) on May 8 signed a contract with a Chinese company to procure a S26T diesel-electric submarine, a move experts believe will promote China's export of conventional submarines.
- Satellite Images: Beijing Installing Missile Systems on South China Sea Islands Sputnik 09 May 2017 -- Satellite images captured on Monday show Chinese military installments being placed on a crucial islet in the contested waterway.
- China tests new missile near Korean Peninsula Press TV 09 May 2017 -- China's military has tested a new type of missile in an area close to the Korean Peninsula, where tensions have been running high over Washington's deployment of a missile system in South Korea.
- China Carries Out Test Launch of New Generation Missile - Defense Ministry Sputnik 09 May 2017 -- The Chinese Defense Ministry confirmed Tuesday that the Rocket Force of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) had conducted a test launch of the new generation missile in the Bohai Gulf of the Yellow Sea, near the Korean peninsula.
- China Coast Guard vessels patrol Diaoyu Islands People's Daily 08 May 2017 -- Four China Coast Guard (CCG) vessels conducted a patrol in territorial waters off the Diaoyu Islands on Monday, according to an online statement by the State Oceanic Administration.
- No 1992 consensus, no basis for Taiwan to attend WHA: China CNA 08 May 2017 -- As long as Taiwan refuses to accept the "1992 consensus," there will be no basis for its participation in this year's World Health Assembly (WHA), a senior China official said Monday, even as Taiwan continued its worldwide plea to be allowed to participate as an observer.
- China's high-seas military training expected to expand: MND CNA 07 May 2017 -- High-seas training will become a fixture in the training of China's battle group headed by the aircraft carrier Liaoning, with exercises expected to expand to the "second island chain" in the Western Pacific, Taiwan's defense minister said Sunday.
- Taiwan urges China to stop its fishermen from trespassing CNA 06 May 2017 -- Taiwan urged China on Saturday to step up the education of its fishermen and stop them from trespassing into Taiwanese waters, after two Chinese fishermen were injured while trying to resist inspection by Taiwan Coast Guard officials near the Penghu archipelago in the Taiwan Strait.
- Chinese naval fleet starts friendly visit to Vietnam People's Daily 07 May 2017 -- A Chinese naval fleet on Saturday arrived at Ho Chi Minh City in south Vietnam for a four-day friendly visit to the Southeast Asian country.
- J-31 fighter suggested for China's first domestically built aircraft carrier People's Daily 06 May 2017 -- The launch of China's first domestically built aircraft carrier 001A has created national sensation in recent days, but experts have noted that the carrier-based aircraft currently in use in China are backward and the country needs a new aircraft to match the new carrier, such as a version of J-31 stealth fighter.
- C919 takes wing, marks milestone People's Daily 06 May 2017 -- The C919, China's first homegrown large passenger plane, made its debut flight on Friday in Shanghai, a breakthrough in the country's innovation and manufacturing drive and a change to the landscape of the global civil aviation market.
- Chinese Navy Hands Over Notorious Pirate Leader VOA 05 May 2017 -- The Chinese navy on Friday handed over a notorious pirate leader captured last month after a failed hijack attempt.
- Bangkok, Beijing Sign Contract on Delivery of First Submarine to Thailand Sputnik 05 May 2017 -- Thailand and China have signed a contract on the delivery of the first of three submarines that Thailand's naval forces plan to purchase from Beijing over the course of the next 11 years, media reported Friday.
- MOFA: South China Sea issue not a problem between China and US People's Daily 05 May 2017 -- Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson Geng Shuang has said China hopes countries outside the region could respect efforts made by countries within the region for peace and stability. Geng
- China Opposes Introduction of US Sanctions Against North Korea Sputnik 05 May 2017 -- China stands against the introduction of sanctions, unilaterally imposed by any one country onto another country, China's Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said Friday, referring to a recent US initiative countering North Korea.
- PLA Air Force making exercises more realistic People's Daily 05 May 2017 -- The People's Liberation Army Air Force is strengthening the intensity and difficulty of its combat exercises to improve pilot capabilities.
- China boosting air force capabilities: Paper Press TV 05 May 2017 -- China's military has been boosting its air force as part of an overall program to strengthen armed forces amid the threat posed by US military presence in the region.
- China's homemade jet C919 successfully completes maiden test flight People's Daily 05 May 2017 -- After 79 mins in the air, China's homemade jet C919 landed at Shanghai Pudong Airport, successfully completing its maiden test flight.
- China's first homegrown plane flies into skies Press TV 05 May 2017 -- China has sent its first homegrown airplane into the skies in what authorities have described as a landmark achievement that has already propelled the country into a new era of aviation.
- North Korea will not beg for China's friendship: State media Press TV 04 May 2017 -- North Korea will not "beg" to maintain the friendship of its major ally, China, North Korean state media have said in rare remarks against Beijing.
- North Korea Fires Back at Beijing's Criticism, Accuses China of Betrayal Sputnik 04 May 2017 -- The relationship between Pyongyang and Beijing is showing signs of major strain, as Pyongyang accuses Beijing of treachery for their resistance to sign a treaty and their stance on the North's nuclear program.
- Concerns Over N. Korea, China Influence Shadow ASEAN FM Meeting VOA 03 May 2017 -- A meeting of foreign ministers from the 10 member Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) with the U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson this week comes amid ongoing tensions on the Korean peninsular as well as concerns over China's growing influence in Southeast Asia.
- Chinese amphibious aircraft AG600 completes first taxiing test People's Daily 03 May 2017 -- China's domestically developed amphibious aircraft AG600 completed its first ground test on April 29 in Zhuhai, Guangdong province. Experts believe that the aircraft's maiden flight is not far off.
- China should take military action against THAAD deployment: military expert People's Daily 03 May 2017 -- China should take military countermeasures against THAAD deployment, a Chinese military expert said after the defense ministries of South Korea and the U.S. confirmed on May 2 that the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) missile defense system is now operational in South Korea. The system reportedly has the initial capability to intercept North Korean missiles.
- China urges immediate halt to US missile system in South Korea Press TV 02 May 2017 -- Beijing has called for the immediate suspension of a controversial American anti-missile system deployed to South Korea hours after Washington announced the system, known as THAAD, is now operational.
- China Warns its Citizens in North Korea to Leave as Conflict with US Looms Sputnik 02 May 2017 -- Fearing a possible US attack on North Korea, Beijing is urging its citizens there to return, as Pyongyang continues its nuclear weapons and ballistic missile tests.
- Negotiation the Pareto-optimal path to denuclearization of Korean Peninsula: Chinese official People's Daily 02 May 2017 -- A nuclear-free Korean Peninsula can only be achieved through peaceful negotiations, while any U.S. military action will threaten regional stability and give rise to mistrust among the countries involved, said a senior Chinese official.
- Chinese naval fleet starts friendly visit to Philippines People's Daily 01 May 2017 -- A Chinese naval fleet has begun a three-day friendly visit after arriving Sunday at Davao City in the southeastern region of The Philippines.
- Filipino president talks of possible joint drills with China Press TV 01 May 2017 -- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has raised the prospects of holding joint exercises with China as Manila seems to be distancing itself from its traditional ally, the United States.
- Responsible actions needed to ensure peace of Korean Peninsula: People's Daily People's Daily 02 May 2017 -- Given the continued escalation of tensions on the Korean Peninsula over the past months, all concerned parties should implement the resolutions adopted by the UN Security Council in a more strict manner and return to peaceful negotiations, the People's Daily said in an editorial published on Sunday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list