Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2017 - China Special Weapons News
- China announces readiness to construct permanent manned space station Press TV 28 Apr 2017 -- China has announced its plan to begin the construction of a permanent manned space station, placing the East Asian giant higher among the few countries with advanced space technology.
- China draws red line for North Korea issue: war is not allowed People's Daily 28 Apr 2017 -- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi took a tough position on the North Korea issue on Wednesday, saying that war on the Korean Peninsula is absolutely unacceptable.
- 'Things can slip out of control,' China says of North Korea tensions Press TV 28 Apr 2017 -- China has once again warned that the tensions involving North Korea could slip out of control, as a war of words between Washington and Pyongyang remains likely to turn into a war of bullets.
- China reiterates dialogue on N. Korea 'only right choice' Press TV 28 Apr 2017 -- The Chinese Foreign Minister has warned that the situation on the Korean Peninsula is "at a critical point," reiterating that negotiations were "the only right choice" to defuse the tensions and avoid chaos.
- China exporting more submarines People's Daily 28 Apr 2017 -- China's exported submarines are relatively cheap but offer advanced technology, and designs for some of their features could be modified to meet customers' requirements, making them more competitive in the global market, an expert said Thursday.
- Live-fire drills, new weapons planned People's Daily 28 Apr 2017 -- China will conduct "combat-oriented live-fire drills" and test new weapons to protect national security and regional stability, Defense Ministry spokesman Yang Yujun said on Thursday.
- Defense ministry disavows rumors that aircraft carrier will be named after mantis shrimp People's Daily 28 Apr 2017 -- China's Ministry of National Defense denounced on April 27 the rumor that the country's newly launched aircraft carrier will be named after the mantis shrimp, an animal widely ridiculed by Chinese internet users for its bizarre appearance. The ministry clarified that no name has been chosen yet.
- Philippine president vows to engage China in talks People's Daily 27 Apr 2017 -- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte reiterated on Thursday that Manila will continue to engage Beijing through bilateral dialogue, citing that it is the best way to resolve the South China Sea issue.
- China to regroup PLA Army People's Daily 27 Apr 2017 -- The Central Military Commission has decided to reorganize the army groups of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Army, Defense Ministry spokesperson Yang Yujun said Thursday.
- China voices opposition to THAAD deployment, vows military training People's Daily 27 Apr 2017 -- Chinese Defense Ministry spokesperson Yang Yujun said Thursday that China resolutely opposes the deployment of the THAAD anti-missile defence system, pledging to continue real combat-oriented military training and drills to safeguard national security.
- China says it will continue drills, tests of new-type weapons in response to THAAD People's Daily 27 Apr 2017 -- China is firmly against the deployment of the US anti-missile defense system, known as THAAD in South Korea, China's Ministry of Defense said Thursday, arguing it undermined regional balance and stability.
- China warns of "necessary actions" as US says THAAD to be operational "in coming days" People's Daily 27 Apr 2017 -- Admiral Harry Harris, commander of the U.S. Pacific Command, told Congress that the THAAD anti-missile defense system would be operational "in the coming days."
- China's 2-seat FC-1 Xiaolong trainer completes maiden flight People's Daily 27 Apr 2017 -- The two-seat FC-1 Xiaolong trainer, China's latest model of the FC-1 Xiaolong line, completed its maiden flight in Chengdu, Sichuan province on April 27.
- China convicts detained American woman with espionage Press TV 26 Apr 2017 -- An American businesswoman from Houston, Texas, has been sentenced in China to three and half years in prison and deportation on spying charges.
- China's first domestically constructed aircraft carrier Type 001A hits the water People's Daily 26 Apr 2017 -- China's first domestically constructed aircraft carrier, the Type 001A, hit the water on Wednesday morning, China's state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
- China launches second aircraft carrier People's Daily 26 Apr 2017 -- China launched its second aircraft carrier Wednesday morning in a Dalian shipyard in Liaoning Province, northeast China.
- China Launches Second Aircraft Carrier VOA 26 Apr 2017 -- China has launched its first domestically built aircraft carrier, marking an important military milestone. The vessel will become the second carrier in the country's expanding naval fleet.
- China Issues Ban on Many Muslim Names in Xinjiang VOA 26 Apr 2017 -- China has released new restrictions on the naming of children in the far western and mostly Muslim region of Xinjiang, banning ethnic minority Uighur parents from naming their newborns "Muhammad" or names that authorities say have "extremely religious" meanings.
- Fears over aircraft carriers uncalled for People's Daily 25 Apr 2017 -- Ever since its first aircraft carrier, the CNS Liaoning, was commissioned in 2012 China has been trying to build such vessels using domestic technology. Yet recent media reports saying China may soon launch its first domestically built aircraft carrier have drawn wide national and international attention.
- Xi calls for restraint over DPRK tensions in phone conversation with Trump People's Daily 24 Apr 2017 -- China hopes all parties can exercise "restraint" on the DPRK issue, and not take "provocative actions", said Chinese President Xi Jinping during a phone conversation with his US counterpart Donald Trump on Monday.
- Chinese FM urges voice of peace, reason over Korean Peninsula issue People's Daily 24 Apr 2017 -- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi here on Sunday urged all sides to make voices of peace and reason on the Korean Peninsula issue, and reiterated China's consistent and definite stand on denuclearizing the Peninsula.
- PLA reorganized into 13 army corps, says expert CNA 24 Apr 2017 -- Mainland China's 18 army corps have been reorganized into 13 army corps, according to a military expert in Hong Kong.
- Home built aircraft carriers a strategic need People's Daily 24 Apr 2017 -- China's first domestically built aircraft carrier, the second such vessel, will soon be commissioned, say reports. Designed to be a base for fighter jets and helicopters, the country's second aircraft carrier is the first of the Type 001A class.
- China's first domestically-built aircraft carrier ready for launch: Sources Press TV 24 Apr 2017 -- Reports say Beijing is set to launch its first domestically- built aircraft carrier after more than two years, as the country is beefing up its military in the face of growing tensions in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Chinese forces in normal training along China-DPRK border: Ministry People's Daily 22 Apr 2017 -- Chinese forces are keeping their standard operational readiness and conducting normal training along the border between China and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), according to a statement from the Information Bureau of China's Ministry of National Defense.
- China reshuffles 84 corps-level military units People's Daily 18 Apr 2017 -- Reshuffling China's armed forces with 84newly adjusted or established corps-level units is another major step in strengthening the country's armed forces, according to Chinese President Xi Jinping.
- What Kind of 'Major Advances' China's Third Aircraft Carrier May Feature Sputnik 16 Apr 2017 -- As China's second aircraft carrier is being prepared for launch in late April, experts are predicting what kind of technological breakthroughs the third China-made carrier may have.
- Japan Opposes Presence of Chinese Ships in Disputed Senkaku Islands Waters Sputnik 14 Apr 2017 -- Japan's Foreign Ministry expressed their objections over a phone call to China's Ambassador Cheng Yonghua to the entrance of the country's ship in the waters near the disputed Senkaku Islands, media reported Friday.
- China delivers third maritime patrol ship to Pakistan People's Daily 14 Apr 2017 -- On April 11, China officially handed a 600-ton patrol ship over to Pakistan's maritime safety authority in Guangzhou, Guangdong province. Among other things, the ship will be used to safeguard Pakistan's maritime interests.
- Chinese FM Says 'No Winners' In War Over North Korea RFE/RL 14 Apr 2017 -- There can be no winners in an armed conflict between the United States and North Korea over Pyongyang's nuclear weapons and missile programs, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said April 14, offering China's support for dialogue between the two sides.
- Air China to suspend some flights to North Korea Press TV 14 Apr 2017 -- China's national carrier, Air China, will suspend flights between Beijing and North Korea's capital, Pyongyang, from Monday amid tensions on the Korean Peninsula involving the United States, Chinese state media say.
- Air China Airline to Cease Flights to North Korea From Apr. 17 Amid Tensions Sputnik 14 Apr 2017 -- The Chinese airline company Air China will suspend flights to Pyongyang starting April 17 amid the escalation of tensions on the Korean Peninsula, local media reported Friday.
- Russia, China Seek to Avoid Chaos in North Korea With New Sanctions - Envoy Sputnik 14 Apr 2017 -- Russia and China do not task themselves with causing social and economic chaos in North Korea with new sanctions mulled by the United States, Russian Ambassador to North Korea Alexander Matsegora told Sputnik.
- Third China-made aircraft carrier could be nuclear-powered: expert People's Daily 14 Apr 2017 -- As China's second aircraft carrier, and the country's first domestically built carrier, approaches its launch, experts predict that the third China-made carrier will see dramatic breakthroughs, such as the use of nuclear power and the capability for an electromagnetic launch.
- China Appreciates Duterte's Disputed Spratly Islands Visit Cancellation Sputnik 13 Apr 2017 -- China appreciates Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte's decision to cancel a planned visit to an island in the South China Sea Spratly Islands (Nansha) archipelago, Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Lu Kang said Thursday.
- Launch of satellite marks new communications era People's Daily 13 Apr 2017 -- China launched its most advanced communications satellite at 7:04 pm on Wednesday, marking the start of the country's large-capacity communications network in space.
- China would protect a denuclearized North Korea: State-run Chinese daily Press TV 13 Apr 2017 -- A state-run Chinese daily says Beijing would protect the North Korean government and people if Pyongyang gave up its nuclear program.
- Private companies hope for relaxed requirements in military-civilian integration People's Daily 13 Apr 2017 -- As China pushes forward the national strategy of military-civilian integration, private companies long for more space to put their advanced technology and innovative ideas to military use.
- Xi: Dialogue needed to calm region People's Daily 13 Apr 2017 -- The Korean Peninsula issue should be settled through peaceful means, President Xi Jinping told US President Donald Trump on Wednesday, adding that Beijing is willing to continue a dialogue with Washington on the issue.
- China tells US to resolve North Korea tensions peacefully Press TV 12 Apr 2017 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has told US President Donald Trump to resolve ongoing tensions with North Korea peacefully.
- Trump, Xi Discuss 'Menace Of North Korea' In Telephone Call RFE/RL 12 Apr 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says he spoke to Chinese President Xi Jinping by telephone about what be called the North Korean "menace."
- North Korea to Test Strength of US-China Ties VOA 12 Apr 2017 -- It's been less than a week since President Donald Trump and China's Xi Jinping held their first high-level talks. Chinese state media have been playing up the positives following the get-together, highlighting how the meeting put ties back on track and how it is giving the relationship new dynamism.
- Xi and Trump discuss Korean Peninsula, Syria over phone People's Daily 12 Apr 2017 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday held a telephone conversation with his U.S. counterpart, Donald Trump, and discussed the situation on the Korean Peninsula and in Syria.
- China denies any deployment of troops near North Korea Press TV 12 Apr 2017 -- China's Defense Ministry has denied reports of troop deployment along the border with North Korea to respond to contingencies emerging from a potential US attack on the peninsula.
- Data on Sending 150,000 Chinese Troops to N Korea Border 'Fabrication' - Beijing Sputnik 12 Apr 2017 -- China's Defense Ministry denied on Wednesday information on the alleged deployment of an additional 150,000 servicemen of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) to the border with North Korea, saying the data was fabricated.
- Trump, Unorthodox as Ever, Offers Grand Bargain to Beijing VOA 12 Apr 2017 -- President Donald Trump appears to be offering a grand bargain to Chinese President Xi Jinping in which each would get something he dearly wants -- an assurance of economic stability ahead of a critical Communist Party Congress in exchange for Chinese help in halting North Korea's nuclear programs.
- Myanmar oil pipeline deal reached in Beijing People's Daily 11 Apr 2017 -- China and Myanmar on Monday signed an agreement on a crude oil pipeline to send oil from Myanmar's Kyaukpyu Port to Yunnan.
- Supermaneuverable Beasts: Russia to Supply 10 Su-35 Jets to China in 2017 Sputnik 11 Apr 2017 -- China will receive 10 supermaneuverable Su-35 fighters from Russia in 2017.
- President Xi meets incoming HKSAR chief executive People's Daily 11 Apr 2017 -- President Xi Jinping met Tuesday with Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor, the newly appointed chief executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), at the Zhongnanhai leadership compound in central Beijing.
- Chinese coast guard enters Diaoyutai waters, ninth time this year CNA 10 Apr 2017 -- Four Chinese coast guard vessels sailed into waters around the disputed Diaoyu Islands, called Diaoyutai Islands in Taiwan, in the East China Sea on Monday, according to a statement on the official website of China's State Oceanic Administration.
- South Korea, China Agree on Action to End North Korea Nuclear Threat VOA 10 Apr 2017 -- South Korea and China say they have agreed they will take strong action against North Korea if Pyongyang conducts more nuclear and intercontinental ballistic missile tests.
- Xi's visit to US called constructive People's Daily 10 Apr 2017 -- Talks between President Xi Jinping and his US counterpart Donald Trump at Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida last week have set a constructive tone for relations between the world's two largest economies, according to Foreign Minister Wang Yi.
- Xi's visit to Finland, meeting with Trump uphold dialogue, cooperation, mutual benefits People's Daily 09 Apr 2017 -- As Chinese President Xi Jinping wrapped up his state visit to Finland and meeting with his U.S. counterpart Donald Trump at Mar-a-Lago resort in the U.S. state of Florida from April 4 to 7, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi briefed on the achievements of the visit and the meeting.
- China, US Agree to High-Level Military Consultations to Avoid Close Calls Sputnik 09 Apr 2017 -- Following their summit in Palm Beach, Florida, the leaders of China and the US agreed to establish a new channel for top-rank military communication in order to avoid unwanted military accidents.
- China Kicks Off Construction of its Biggest Amphibious Assault Ship Sputnik 08 Apr 2017 -- The Chinese Navy has launched construction of its new generation amphibious assault ship, the 075 Landing Helicopter Dock, the South China Morning Post reported.
- Analysis: Beijing, Surprised by US Strike on Syria, Ponders Timing VOA 08 Apr 2017 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping, widely known as a cautious man who dislikes surprises, arrived at Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate for their first face-to-face meeting well-prepared to deal with all the tough issues the U.S. president might throw at him.
- Philippines Signals it Will Challenge China Over Maritime Disputes VOA 07 Apr 2017 -- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte's plans to deploy troops to islands in the disputed South China Sea and personally plant a flag there indicate the country has tired of China's maritime expansion, despite friendly relations since October.
- Beijing Concerned Over Duterte's Order to Deploy Troops in South China Sea Sputnik 07 Apr 2017 -- China is concerned about the Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte's order to deploy troops on islands that are claimed by the Philippines in the disputed waters of the South China Sea, the Chinese Foreign Ministry's spokeswoman Hua Chunying said Friday.
- Philippines Rows Back on South China Sea Dispute After Beijing Censure Sputnik 07 Apr 2017 -- The Philippines Defense Minister has attempted to row back on an order by President Rodrigo Duterte earlier this week to occupy and fortify islands in the South China Sea. It comes after Beijing expressed concern over the military action, in a region where China also lays claim to several islands.
- Trump hails 'outstanding' relationship with Chinese leader Press TV 07 Apr 2017 -- US President Donald Trump has announced an "outstanding" relationship following a meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping.
- Trump Hails 'Outstanding' Relationship With China, Without Citing Specifics RFE/RL 07 Apr 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says he has made "tremendous progress" in relations with China after meeting with President Xi Jinping of China, a country Trump has heavily criticized in the past.
- Taiwan keeping close tabs on Trump-Xi meeting CNA 07 Apr 2017 -- Taiwan's government is keeping close tabs on the meeting between U.S. President Donald Trump and his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping (習近平) that is taking place at Trump's estate in Florida, the Presidential Office spokesman said Friday.
- Trump: 'Tremendous Progress' Made with China's Xi VOA 07 Apr 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump told reporters Friday he's made "tremendous progress" with Chinese President Xi Jinping during talks at his Mar-a-Lago resort.
- China supports comprehensive, fair probe into use of chemicals as weapons in Syria: envoy People's Daily 06 Apr 2017 -- China supports the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) and related UN entities in carrying out comprehensive, objective and fair investigations into uses of chemicals as weapons in Syria, said a Chinese envoy here on Wednesday.
- China ignores Taiwan's requests on detained activist CNA 06 Apr 2017 -- Taiwan's Straits Exchange Foundation (SEF) has sent five messages to China requesting China's approval for family members of detained human rights and pro-democracy activist Lee Ming-che (李明哲) to visit him in China, but has received no response from its Chinese counterpart, a senior mainland affairs official said on Thursday.
- Beijing Quietly Builds Another Amphibious Warship for PLA Navy Sputnik 06 Apr 2017 -- Two days after the People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) announced plans to commission the first aircraft carrier built domestically in China, a new report suggests PLAN is building another ship designed for amphibious assault missions.
- Trump, Xi Begin Highly Anticipated Summit in Florida VOA 06 Apr 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump is greeting Chinese President Xi Jinping at his Florida resort Thursday for a two-day summit at which the U.S. leader hopes to pressure Beijing into doing more to rein in North Korea's nuclear weapons development.
- On-the-Record-Briefing: Previewing the Visit of President Xi Jinping of the People's Republic of China US Dept. of State 05 Apr 2017 -- Special Briefing by Susan Thornton, Acting Assistant Secretary for East Asian and Pacific Affairs
- President Tsai receiving briefings on Trump-Xi meeting: official CNA 05 Apr 2017 -- A national security team has been giving President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) regular briefings to keep her informed on the upcoming meeting between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese leader Xi Jinping (習近平), the Presidential Office spokesman said Wednesday.
- Tokyo, Beijing Urge North Korea to Refrain From Missile Test Provocations Sputnik 05 Apr 2017 -- Kenji Kanasugi, Japanese foreign ministry chief of Asia-Pacific affairs, and Chinese Special Representative for Korean Peninsula Affairs Wu Dawei have jointly urged North Korea to abstain from further provocations following their recent missile test, a statement released by the Japanese Foreign Ministry said Wednesday.
- China Reveals How Many Fighter Jets the New Aircraft Carrier Can Dock Sputnik 05 Apr 2017 -- Chinese media has revealed that the new Chinese aircraft carrier will be able to dock 36 Jian-15 fighters [J-15].
- China Hopes Xi-Trump Meeting Will Inject Stability Into Relationship VOA 05 Apr 2017 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping will be looking for signs that U.S. foreign policy is shifting more toward his own this week when he sits down for his first face-to-face meeting with Donald Trump at the president's Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida.
- Background Briefing by Senior Administration Officials on the Visit of President Xi Jinping of the People's Republic of China The White House 04 Apr 2017
- Trump Sees 'Interesting,' 'Difficult' Talks With China's Xi VOA 04 Apr 2017 -- President Donald Trump is to host Chinese President Xi Jinping beginning Thursday at his Mar-a-Lago resort in the southern United States. But the atmosphere may not turn out to be as warm as the Florida weather.
- Trump's North Korea Comments Raise Speculation About Chinese President's Visit VOA 03 Apr 2017 -- U.S. President Donald Trump's tough but vague talk on North Korea, in advance of this week's visit by Chinese President Xi Jinping, is fueling a wide range of speculation that he may pursue a major policy shift that could either lead to a grand bargain with Beijing or start a preemptive war.
- Beijing Set to Commission First Made-in-China Aircraft Carrier Sputnik 03 Apr 2017 -- China's first domestically constructed aircraft carrier is slated to take on the high seas for the first time within the next three weeks. The Shandong will be the second aircraft carrier to join the People's Liberation Army Navy's rapidly growing fleet.
- Senior Chinese, U.S. officials agree Xi-Trump meeting significant for bilateral ties People's Daily 03 Apr 2017 -- Senior Chinese and U.S. officials agreed on Sunday that the upcoming meeting between Chinese President Xi Jinping and his U.S. counterpart Donald Trump matters greatly to the development of China-U.S. relations.
- Tainan mayor urges China to 'have confidence' to talk to DPP CNA 02 Apr 2017 -- Tainan Mayor Lai Ching-te (賴清德) urged China on Sunday to have confidence to engage in exchanges with Taiwan's ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) instead of looking at the pro-independence party through the eyes of the pro-China Kuomintang (KMT).
- Trump Hopes China Will Help US Eliminate North Korea Nuclear Threat Sputnik 02 Apr 2017 -- US President Donald Trump said Sunday that Washington is determined to resolve the issue of the North Korean nuclear program and hopes that Beijing will help it to do so.
- China Prepared to Meet 'Hard-Bargaining' Trump Head-on in Negotiations Sputnik 02 Apr 2017 -- On the eve of next week's much-anticipated summit between Presidents Xi Jinping and Donald Trump, observers have picked up on an interesting trend: the lack of a firm response from Beijing to US criticism over China's policies. China watchers suggest that Beijing has gained a pretty good grasp of Trump's hard-bargaining negotiating strategy.
- Middle East increasingly important to China's global strategy: report People's Daily 01 Apr 2017 -- The Middle East has for the first time become a key part of China's global strategy, as the region is increasingly intertwined with the Middle Kingdom in East China, according to a report published in Beijing on April 1.
- China offers assistance to transit of remains of DPRK citizen murdured in Malaysia People's Daily 01 Apr 2017 -- China said Friday it offered "necessary assistance" to the transit of the remains of a Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) citizen murdered in Malaysia.
- China's army to put forward medical assistance worldwide People's Daily 01 Apr 2017 -- The Chinese military will continue to participate in global medical assistance, especially in African countries, according to an article run by the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Daily Friday.
- China bans long beards, full-face veils in western region of Xinjiang Press TV 01 Apr 2017 -- China has banned long beards and face covering veils in the western region of Xinjiang which is home to around 10 million Uighur Muslims.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list