Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2015 - China Special Weapons News
- China, Russia to stage joint naval drills in Mediterranean Press TV 30 Apr 2015 -- The navies of Russia and China are planning to hold their first-ever joint naval drills in the Mediterranean Sea within weeks, military sources in China say.
- S. Korea, China Criticize Japan PM Abe's Speech VOA 30 Apr 2015 -- Authorities in South Korea and China were mostly critical of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's speech to the U.S. Congress.
- China's J-11D Fighter Copied From Russian Su-27 Jet Makes Maiden Flight Sputnik 30 Apr 2015 -- China's high-end J-11D fighter aircraft, a copy of the Russian Sukhoi Su-27 jet, made a maiden flight.
- South China Sea no showcase for U.S.-Japanese alliance People's Daily 29 Apr 2015 -- The South China Seaunexpectedly became a showcase of the U.S.-Japanese alliance when U.S. President Barack Obamamet visiting Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abeamid worldwide cries for the latter to apologize for Tokyo's past war crimes.
- China 'gravely concerned' about disputed islands statement: FM People's Daily 29 Apr 2015 -- China is 'gravely concerned' about the statement issued after the ASEAN Summit on the South China Sea issue, Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Hong Lei told a news conference on Tuesday.
- China Tells US, Japan to Refrain From Sabotage on Disputed Islands Sputnik 29 Apr 2015 -- China's Foreign Ministry told the US and Japan to refrain from influencing the South China Sea issue, which they 'are not parties to.'
- China defends construction on islands and reefs in South China Sea People's Daily 28 Apr 2015 -- China has defended building work on islands and reefs in the South China Sea as 'reasonable and fair'. This comes after the Philippines called on other ASEAN countries to unite in urging China to halt reclamation of land in the South China Sea.
- Russia, China to Close Joint Helicopter Construction Deal in May Sputnik 28 Apr 2015 -- Russia and China plan on signing a final agreement in May after "dotting all the i's" in the joint construction of a series of helicopters, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said Tuesday.
- China, Russia agree on joint helicopter project details - deputy PM TASS 28 Apr 2015 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping's visit to Moscow in May this year may result in the final agreement on all issues and the signing of documents on the creation of a joint Russian-Chinese helicopter, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said on Tuesday. He attended a meeting of the bilateral Commission for the preparation of regular meetings of the government heads. The Chinese delegation is headed by Vice Premier of the State Council Wang Yang.
- Expert Says China's Nuclear Warning Might Be Sign of Frustration With US VOA 27 Apr 2015 -- China's recent warning that North Korea might have expanded its nuclear weapons capability could be a sign of Beijing's growing frustration with Washington's refusal to have dialogue with Pyongyang, a former nuclear arms adviser to President Barak Obama said.
- Malaysia Urges Peaceful Solution to ASEAN Disputes with China VOA 27 Apr 2015 -- Southeast Asian leaders said China's island-building efforts in the South China Sea threaten to undermine the 'peace, security and stability' of the region.
- Leaked ASEAN Document Focuses on South China Sea VOA 26 Apr 2015 -- A final draft of the 26th ASEAN Chairman's Statement says the group will call for intensified consultations on a code of conduct for the South China Sea.
- Best Friends Forever: Pakistan to Receive 110 Fighter Jets From China Sputnik 25 Apr 2015 -- China will provide another 50 JF-17 Thunder fighter jets to Pakistan over the next three years.
- Thailand, China agree to deepen military ties People's Daily 24 Apr 2015 -- Thailand and China agreed here Friday to deepen military relations between the two countries.
- Chinese peacekeepers return from Darfur People's Daily 23 Apr 2015 -- A total of 120 Chinese officers and soldiers have returned from Sudan's Darfur after an eight-month peacekeeping mission.
- Warrants issued by Interpol for runaway officials People's Daily 23 Apr 2015 -- Interpol has issued arrest warrants for the 100 most-wanted corrupt Chinese officials who have fled overseas, the CPC Central Commission for Discipline Inspection said on Wednesday.
- China's Xi, Japan's Abe Hold Rare Meeting VOA 22 Apr 2015 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe held talks Wednesday at a regional summit in Indonesia, in what was only the second time the two leaders have met since taking power.
- Iran Seeks China's Help to Build New Nuclear Plants VOA 22 Apr 2015 -- The framework nuclear deal between Iran and global powers has opened up new investment possibilities in an economy that has been stunted by international sanctions. Last week, a top Iranian atomic energy official said in addition to Russia, China will also help it build additional nuclear power plants.
- China's defense chief meets military commanders of Chile, Mongolia People's Daily 22 Apr 2015 -- Chinese Defense Minister Chang Wanquan on Tuesday met with Commander of Chilean Air Force Jorge Robles and Commander of General Purpose Troops of Mongolia Radnaabazar Sukhbat.
- US 7th Fleet, Chinese South Sea Fleet Leaders Conduct 'Staff Talks' in Zhanjiang NNS 21 Apr 2015 -- Senior navy leaders from the U.S. 7th Fleet and People's Liberation Army Navy PLA(N) met for a professional exchange of ideas in a variety of technical and operational topics on board the Chinese ship Mount Jinggang at PLA(N) South Sea Fleet Headquarters April 21.
- Chinese President Concludes Pakistan Visit, Praises Closer Ties RFE/RL 21 Apr 2015 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has concluded a two-day visit to Pakistan after signing accords worth some $46 billion to set up an economic corridor linking the two countries.
- China, Pakistan to deepen military cooperation People's Daily 21 Apr 2015 -- China and Pakistan should deepen and broaden military cooperation in such fields as joint exercise and training, so as to enrich the strategic cooperation between the two countries, Chinese President Xi Jinping said here on Monday.
- Analysts Weigh Role of Chinese Peacekeepers in S. Sudan VOA 20 Apr 2015 -- China dispatched 130 additional troops to South Sudan on April 8 to fulfill a United Nations peacekeeping pledge to help secure the restive nation, which has been wracked by civil war.
- China's Xi Gets Warm Welcome in Islamabad VOA 20 Apr 2015 -- China's president is in Islamabad for a two-day visit focusing on energy and infrastructure projects. In his meetings with top Pakistani leaders, he is also discussing militancy issues and Afghanistan.
- Xi's Visit to Pakistan Brings Pledges of Cooperation on Security VOA 20 Apr 2015 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping's meetings in Islamabad are planned to largely focus on broadening deep economic relations, but Pakistani officials say civilian and military leaders will also brief him on the progress in counter-militancy operations and efforts to promote peace in neighboring Afghanistan.
- China responds to G7 statement on maritime disputes People's Daily 18 Apr 2015 -- China on Friday urged relevant countries to do more that are conducive to regional peace and stability.
- China, Venezuela to bolster military, technical cooperation People's Daily 18 Apr 2015 -- China and Venezuela took another step Friday to strengthen military and technical cooperation, with a meeting between Venezuelan Defense Minister Gen. Vladimir Padrino and visiting Army Commander of the Lanzhou Military Region, Liu Yuejun.
- China stresses discipline for CPC members in military People's Daily 17 Apr 2015 -- The Central Military Commission (CMC) issued a circular requiring efforts to strictly discipline Communist Party of China (CPC) members in the army.
- Russia, China to deepen military cooperation - China defense minister TASS 16 Apr 2015 -- Good-neighbourly relations between Russia and China contribute to stability in the region and the whole world, the countries intend to further deepen cooperation between their military departments, Defense Minister of China Chang Wanquan told journalists on Thursday at the 4th Moscow International Conference on Security.
- Venezuelan DM vows to strengthen military ties with China People's Daily 16 Apr 2015 -- Venezuelan Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino Lopez said Wednesday that Caracas intends to strengthen military and technical cooperation with China.
- PLA to buy advanced missiles from Russia People's Daily 16 Apr 2015 -- The deployment of the Russian S-400 surface-to-air missile system will substantially improve China's air defense capability, military experts said as Russian media reported that China has bought the cutting-edge weapon.
- China issues white paper on Tibet, denouncing Dalai Lama's 'middle way' People's Daily 15 Apr 2015 -- The Chinese government on Wednesday issued a white paper on southwest China's Tibet Autonomous Region, lauding its development path and denouncing the 'middle way' advocated by the Dalai Lama.
- China's YJ-18 Missiles a 'Major Threat' to US Navy Sputnik 15 Apr 2015 -- A recent report from the Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) has confirmed the Chinese government's own claims that 'the newest class, the LUYANG III, destroyer is fitted with the new vertically-launched YJ-18 ASCM [anti-ship cruise missile].'
- China Economic Growth Hits 6-Year Low VOA 15 Apr 2015 -- China's economy grew at its slowest pace in six years last quarter, according to data released Wednesday, raising fresh concerns over the condition of the world's second largest economy.
- Annoying Beijing: US, Indonesia Plan Regular Navy Drills in South China Sea Sputnik 13 Apr 2015 -- Jakarta is looking to an already crowded stretch of water, the South China Sea, for regular military exercises with the United States, despite the fact that neither nation holds any official claims in the region.
- Chinese arms production to partially open to the market People's Daily 13 Apr 2015 -- The Chinese government will open part of its weapons research and manufacturing to the marketplace, including military technology transformation and industrialization development, to promote industry resource sharing, the Beijing Times reported on Monday.
- Russia Confirms Arms Deal to Supply China With S-400 Air Defense Systems Sputnik 13 Apr 2015 -- The chief executive of the Russian state-run arms trader Rosoboronexport has confirmed that China clinched a contract with his company for the purchase of the S-400 air defense systems.
- China becomes first foreign buyer of Russian S-400 air defense system - media TASS 13 Apr 2015 -- China has purchased S-400 missile defense systems from Russia, director general of Russia's major arms exporting company Rosoborobexport Anatoly Isaykin has told the Kommersant daily in an interview.
- Beijing's Ongoing Corruption Probe Widens VOA 13 Apr 2015 -- With China's former domestic security chief Zhou Yongkang facing corruption charges after months of investigation, analysts say China is sending a stern message by making him the highest ranking Chinese official to face trial in the past three decades.
- China urges U.S. not to take sides on territorial issues People's Daily 09 Apr 2015 -- China on Thursday urged the United Statesnot to take sides on territorial issues, voicing anger against U.S. Defense Secretary Ashton Carter, who said Diaoyu Islandsfall under the scope of the Japan-U.S. security treaty.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Regular Press Conference on April 9, 2015 Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the People's Republic of China 09 Apr 2015
- China reaffirms right to disputed islands Press TV 09 Apr 2015 -- China once more proclaims Beijing's sovereignty and right to construction on its sovereign islands in the South China Sea.
- Beijing Details Plans for Artificial Islands in South China Sea Sputnik 09 Apr 2015 -- China revealed detailed plans on Thursday for the islands it is creating in the disputed South China Sea, saying that construction will not only bolster military defense, but will also provide civilian services for neighboring countries.
- PLA weaponry procurement costs 'significantly' less People's Daily 09 Apr 2015 -- Five bidders, both military and civilian, won the first open tender for 2015 organized by the People's Liberation Army(PLA) for weaponry purchase.
- Last batch of Chinese peacekeeping infantry battalion arrives in South Sudan People's Daily 08 Apr 2015 -- The last batch of the Chinese peacekeeping infantry battalion arrived in South Sudan on Wednesday, concluding the deployment of the first infantry battalion sent abroad for peackeeping mission.
- US 'concerned' about Chinese nuclear missile submarines Press TV 08 Apr 2015 -- A top US military commander says he is concerned about China's ballistic missile submarines capable of attacking the United States with nuclear weapons.
- Vietnam Party Chief Visits China After Maritime Dispute VOA 07 Apr 2015 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping and Nguyen Phu Trong, the head of Vietnam's ruling Communist Party, have met in Beijing as part of efforts to repair relations that have been strained over maritime disputes in the South China Sea.
- Hint to Beijing? US Organizes War Games With Philippines in South China Sea Sputnik 07 Apr 2015 -- This month, the US and the Philippines will begin their annual war games in the South China Sea. While insisting that the exercises are not meant to be seen as a 'show of force,' this year's games are twice as large as previous drills, and follow a recent trend of American intimidation as it fears the rise of Chinese influence in the region.
- Yemen rescue mission demonstrates China's constructive role People's Daily 06 Apr 2015 -- A Chinese navy warship transported 225 foreign nationals out of war-torn Yemen last week, a move that supports Foreign Minister Wang Yi's statement that China is 'on the same boat' with the rest of the world.
- China, France vow to boost military cooperation People's Daily 03 Apr 2015 -- Chief of the General Staff of the Chinese People's Liberation Army Fang Fenghui and visiting French Navy Chief of Staff Bernard Rogel agreed on Friday to enhance cooperation in joint drills and training and combating maritime terrorism.
- China objects after US fighter jets land in Taiwan People's Daily 03 Apr 2015 -- China's Foreign Ministry protested after two US fighter planes made a rare landing at an airport in southern Taiwan on Wednesday.
- Two U.S. fighter jets depart Taiwan after emergency landing People's Daily 03 Apr 2015 -- Two U.S. navy F-18 fighters departed from Taiwan on Friday two days after a rare emergency landing at an airport in southern Taiwan due to mechanical problems reported by one of the jets, Taiwan's military said.
- PLA wants Party organs to help improve combat training People's Daily 03 Apr 2015 -- The People's Liberation Army(PLA) asked Party departments to play a bigger role in improving combat capacity, a document published by the PLA General Political Department said.
- Navy to get 3 new nuclear subs People's Daily 03 Apr 2015 -- Three cutting-edge nuclear-powered attack submarines have been manufactured and will soon be commissioned by the Chinese navy, according to media reports.
- New navy escort fleet leave for Gulf of Aden People's Daily 03 Apr 2015 -- The 20th fleet from China's navy left east China's port city Zhoushan for the Gulf of Aden and waters off Somali to escort civil ships.
- Show of Force: Chinese Navy Rescues Foreigners from Yemen's Aden Sputnik 03 Apr 2015 -- In an unprecedented move, the Chinese military sent a warship to Yemen to evacuate 225 foreign nationals from the conflict-ridden country.
- China Indicts Ex-Security Chief VOA 03 Apr 2015 -- Chinese authorities have formally indicted former security chief Zhou Yongkang, once one of China's most powerful political figures. Zhou is the highest-ranking politician in China to face charges in more than three decades and the biggest catch to date in Chinese President Xi Jinping's expansive anti-corruption drive.
- Zhou Yongkang charged with bribery, abuse of power, intentional disclosure of state secrets People's Daily 03 Apr 2015 -- Zhou Yongkang was charged with bribery, abuse of power and intentional disclosure of state secrets, the Supreme People's Procuratorate (SPP) said
- Statement by the President on Executive Order "Blocking the Property of Certain Persons Engaging in Significant Malicious Cyber-Enabled Activities" The White House 02 Apr 2015
- Myanmar apologizes to China over warplane bombing People's Daily 02 Apr 2015 -- Myanmar apologized to China on Thursday over a Myanmar warplane bombing that killed five Chinese in Lincang of southwest China's Yunnan Province.
- China disagrees with U.S. sanctions program on overseas cyber attackers People's Daily 02 Apr 2015 -- China voiced disapproval of imposing sanctions on individuals or entities of foreign countries by passing national laws on Thursday.
- PLA's Air Force drill over the high seas to be a standard practice People's Daily 02 Apr 2015 -- The People's Liberation Army (PLA) Air Force successfully completed its first ever military drill in the airspace above the west Pacific Ocean on Monday, and returned to base later the same day.
- Xinhua Insight: China in fresh overseas fugitive hunt to contain corruption People's Daily 02 Apr 2015 -- The Fox Hunt 2015 campaign must close all exits for fugitives as China seeks to drive corruption into extinction, an anti-corruption expert has said.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list