Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2015 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese military vows continuous anti-corruption efforts People's Daily 28 Feb 2015 -- The People's Liberation Army (PLA) pledged to continue the fight against corruption in its education campaign.
- US says China aggressively expanding into South China Sea Iran Press TV 27 Feb 2015 -- The US intelligence chief accuses China of expanding its outposts in the South China Sea in an "aggressive" effort to exert sovereignty.
- Argentina to Welcome First Chinese Satellite Tracking Station Outside China Sputnik 26 Feb 2015 -- Argentina is to become the location of the first Chinese satellite tracking station outside the country the newspaper La Manana De Cordoba reported on Thursday.
- Xi's 'Four Comprehensives' a strategic blueprint for China's future People's Daily 26 Feb 2015 -- A moderately prosperous society, reform, rule of law, Party discipline - these 'Four Comprehensives' are Xi Jinping's blueprint for China's future.
- Draft airspace law to counter terrorism People's Daily 26 Feb 2015 -- A draft proposal for China's first anti-terrorism law was reviewed by lawmakers on Wednesday and, if approved, is likely to accelerate improvements in the management of aviation airspace to guard against terrorist attacks.
- New fighter jet appears ready for PLA People's Daily 26 Feb 2015 -- China's air force will soon commission the J-10B fighter jet, the most advanced military aircraft the country has ever developed on its own, information released by military observers show.
- China has more submarines than US: Pentagon Iran Press TV 26 Feb 2015 -- China now has more diesel- and nuclear-powered submarines than the United States, although their quality is still inferior, according to the top US Navy admiral.
- FM: China-Myanmar border not closed People's Daily 25 Feb 2015 -- China has strengthened management of its border with Myanmar but has not closed it, despite conflict in northern Myanmar, a spokesperson said on Wednesday.
- Zhou Yongkang's case alerts CPC to hidden 'tigers': graft watchdog People's Daily 25 Feb 2015 -- The cases of Zhou Yongkang and Xu Caihou -- disgraced former senior officials -- demonstrate that some corrupt officials 'are very well hidden' within the Communist Party of China (CPC), the Party's graft watchdog cited a bylined commentary on its website on Monday.
- China completes fishery survey in South China Sea People's Daily 24 Feb 2015 -- China has completed a survey of fishery resources in the middle and southern regions of the South China Sea after two years of research, said a Chinese expert on Monday.
- Li Family Could Face Scrutiny in China Anti-Corruption Drive VOA 23 Feb 2015 -- Former Chinese Premier Li Peng's family may come under more scrutiny this year when Beijing's anti-corruption commission turns its focus to state-owned enterprises (SOEs).
- China Challenged as Tens of Thousands Flee Myanmar Clashes Sputnik 23 Feb 2015 -- The flight of refugees from a conflict between Myanmar's government and rebels continues as China urges peace talks to resolve the conflict.
- China's C919 plane to roll off assembly lines this year People's Daily 23 Feb 2015 -- China's C919 large passenger aircraft will roll off assembly lines this year, the manufacturer announced on Monday.
- China calls in Indian ambassador to voice unhappiness on Modi's visit to disputed territory People's Daily 22 Feb 2015 -- Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Liu Zhenmin on Saturday called in the Indian Ambassador to China to lodge stern representation on Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to a disputed border region.
- Japan, China to resume stalled security talks Iran Press TV 19 Feb 2015 -- Japan and China are reportedly set to resume their long delayed talks concerning security issues amid territorial disputes over the sovereignty of uninhabited islands in the East China Sea.
- Prosecutors investigate record numbers for bribery People's Daily 19 Feb 2015 -- Chinese prosecutors investigated 24 provincial, ministerial or higher level officials in the first 11 months of 2014, an official with the Supreme People's Procuratorate (SPP) said Thursday.
- Philippines Skeptical of China's Reclamation Work in Contested Sea VOA 18 Feb 2015 -- The Philippines is expressing "serious concern" over newly released satellite images that show major progress in China's reclamation work at contested outcroppings in the South China Sea.
- How China copes with world challenges People's Daily 17 Feb 2015 -- The Fifty-first Munich Security Conference came to an end several days ago. Participants focused on dramatic changes in the international security situation and explored ways to solve and deal with challenges.
- Chinese naval escort fleet commences visit to Greece People's Daily 17 Feb 2015 -- The 18th Chinese naval escort fleet arrived in the Greek port of Piraeus on Monday morning, commencing a four-day goodwill visit after such visits to Greece in 2002 and 2010.
- Living with austerity - the change of the Chinese official People's Daily 17 Feb 2015 -- Gao, an official in north China's Shanxi Province, has noticed his colleagues dressing differently since the broom of austerity swept through the government two years ago.
- Xi stresses poverty relief for old revolutionary base areas People's Daily 17 Feb 2015 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping wants to end poverty in old revolutionary base areas and improve local people's standard of living.
- Chinese Patrol Ships Enter Disputed Waters Sputnik 15 Feb 2015 -- Japanese officials cried alarm on Sunday as Chinese patrol ships entered the waters of the Japanese-controlled Senkaku Islands, and Chinese officials vowed to increase their presence in the area.
- Obese army officers will not get promotion People's Daily 15 Feb 2015 -- Keep fit or lose rank. Members of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) have been reminded to stay in shape or else they'll lose out on promotions.
- Regional peace needs stronger rule of intl. law: Japan Iran Press TV 12 Feb 2015 -- Japan has called for "stricter implementation" of international law amid Tokyo's territorial disputes with Beijing over a series of islands in the East China Sea.
- PLA to start one-year audit of incomes, expenses of all military personnel People's Daily 12 Feb 2015 -- China's military is set to begin a one-year long audit covering all levels of the armed forces as the central government continues its efforts to crack down on corruption within the military.
- China Expands Corruption Probe of State-Owned Firms VOA 12 Feb 2015 -- China's party-led, graft-busting body said it will soon begin inspections at 26 state-owned companies that are involved in a wide range of lucrative businesses from telecommunications to energy, a move analysts said could lead to the fall of more high-ranking officials.
- Russia Signs Satellite Navigation Cooperation Agreement With China Sputnik 10 Feb 2015 -- As part of the Russian agency's official visit to China, head of Roscosmos Igor Komarov met with the leader of China's National Space Administration, Xu Dazhe.
- Chinese premier vows devolution to limit graft People's Daily 10 Feb 2015 -- The Chinese government will devolve some powers to lower levels in order to reduce scope for officials bargaining for benefits, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang said on Monday, putting forward requirements for anti-corruption work in 2015.
- Afghan, Pakistani, Chinese Officials Meet for Security Talks in Kabul VOA 09 Feb 2015 -- Top officials from neighboring Pakistan and China gathered in Kabul Monday for the first round of a trilateral dialogue with Afghan counterparts to promote peace and stability in Afghanistan. The meeting comes as officials in southern Afghanistan say a drone strike killed a senior Taliban-turned Islamic State commander.
- At China Sea Impasse, Manila Bolsters Navy VOA 06 Feb 2015 -- The Philippine Navy is upgrading its capabilities at a time of continuing tensions with China over disputed territory in the South China Sea.
- PLA drill applies China's own GPS People's Daily 06 Feb 2015 -- The People's Liberation Army (PLA) finished a two-day drill on Friday, testing application of China's independently developed global satellite navigation system in combat in Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region.
- PLA widens range of duties for dog teams People's Daily 06 Feb 2015 -- Military dogs are to be used by the People's Liberation Army for combat operations, anti-terrorist tasks and riot control, according to a new regulation.
- US Will Look to China, Japan for Help Against IS VOA 05 Feb 2015 -- In his trip to Asia next week, U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Antony Blinken is expected to discuss with Beijing and Tokyo ways they can help degrade and defeat the Islamic State extremists, a senior State Department official said.
- South Korea, China to Establish Military Hotline VOA 05 Feb 2015 -- South Korea and China have agreed to set up a military hotline between the two defense ministries.
- One more H7N9 case reported in China's Guangdong People's Daily 05 Feb 2015 -- The number of H7N9 human cases in south China's Guangdong Province reached 34 since the start of the year with one more case reported, local health authorities said on Thursday.
- Unbalanced media power skews espionage war People's Daily 05 Feb 2015 -- A Chinese doctoral candidate who had been working on a wind power project at the University of Agder over the past two years was recently ordered by Norwegian police to leave the country before January 23.
- Expert: China should have four aircraft carriers People's Daily 05 Feb 2015 -- To date there has been no official comment on the question whether China will build its second aircraft carrier or not.
- Chinese Official Warns Hong Kong Activists Not to Protest VOA 05 Feb 2015 -- China's top official in Hong Kong vowed the central government will not allow any rejection of its authority as pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong plan to continue their campaign for free and direct elections of the city's leader.
- Chinese troops warned on espionage People's Daily 04 Feb 2015 -- Chinese military authorities have ordered servicemen to be on guard against infiltration and espionage by 'hostile forces'.
- China Supplies Air Defense Systems, Unmanned Aerial Vehicle to Uzbekistan Sputnik 02 Feb 2015 -- China has supplied its new generation medium- to long-range HQ-9 air defense systems to Uzbekistan, according to the country's news website 12news.
- Leaked Reports on China Building Second Aircraft Carrier Taken Off Websites Sputnik 02 Feb 2015 -- News that China is building its second aircraft carrier, which appeared on the internet over the weekend, have been carefully removed.
- Number of Bird Flu Cases in China's Guangdong Province Reaches 30 Sputnik 01 Feb 2015 -- Two more cases of bird flu have been reported to authorities in China's Guangdong province, placing have taken the number of infected people in the region at 30, Xinhua reports.
- Senior official stresses military's role in diplomacy People's Daily 01 Feb 2015 -- Fan Changlong, vice chairman of China's Central Military Commission, has stressed the role of the military in the country's overall diplomatic drive.
- Protesters Return to Hong Kong Streets VOA 01 Feb 2015 -- Thousands of pro-democracy protesters returned to the streets of Hong Kong for the first mass demonstration since they shut down parts of the city late last year, demanding full democracy in the former British colony.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list