Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2015 - China Special Weapons News
- China stresses more anti-corruption efforts in military People's Daily 31 Jan 2015 -- The People's Liberation Army (PLA) of China will step up efforts to weed out corruption in the military as the anti-corruption campaign widens, according to a document released on Friday.
- China, France pledge to boost 'strategic' cooperation People's Daily 31 Jan 2015 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping met with French Prime Minister Manuel Valls in Beijing on Friday and they pledged to boost the 'strategic' cooperation between the two countries.
- Chinese leadership stresses ensuring quality of reform People's Daily 30 Jan 2015 -- A plan approved by the central leadership on Friday mandated intensified efforts to improve the quality and implementation of reform measures.
- Japan forces unwelcome in S.China Sea People's Daily 30 Jan 2015 -- China has reiterated its support for free South China Sea navigation. There is no reason for Japan to expand air patrols into the region, altering the geopolitical landscape and acting like a protagonist.
- Scores of PLA officers punished People's Daily 30 Jan 2015 -- More than 200 senior People's Liberation Army officers have been reprimanded, demoted or removed from their posts for problems exposed by military auditors, PLA Daily reported on Thursday.
- US Concerned Beijing Buildup in South China Sea Will Upset Regional Balance Sputnik 29 Jan 2015 -- US officials are concerned that Beijing's land reclamation project on disputed islands in the South China Sea is an attempt to establish de-facto control over the area rich in mineral and energy resources and upset the regional balance, according to the LA Times.
- US Firms Concerned About China's New Cyber Regulations VOA 29 Jan 2015 -- U.S. business groups have sent a letter to China's top security policy body, calling for "urgent discussions" and "dialogue" over new cybersecurity regulations that would force them to hand over technology secrets in order to keep doing business in China.
- Chinese DM scorns WSJ on China-U.S. military exchanges People's Daily 29 Jan 2015 -- A Defense Ministry spokesperson on Thursday scorned a Wall Street Journal report on China-U.S. military ties as 'confusing'.
- Chinese defense minister to visit ROK, Thailand People's Daily 29 Jan 2015 -- Chinese State Councilor and Defense Minister Chang Wanquan will make official friendly visits to the Republic of Korea and Thailand from Feb. 3 to 7.
- President Xi stresses diplomacy by military exchanges People's Daily 29 Jan 2015 -- Military exchanges will play a bigger role in China's diplomatic activities, President Xi Jinping said on Thursday.
- China expresses concern over conflict in east Ukraine People's Daily 27 Jan 2015 -- China on Tuesday expressed its concern over the situation in Ukraine's eastern regions and urged peace in the wake of intensified fighting in the region.
- PLA vows improved discipline in wake of Xu Caihou case People's Daily 27 Jan 2015 -- A senior officer of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) has vowed to eliminate the negative influence of the corruption case of former senior commander Xu Caihou, the PLA Daily reported Tuesday.
- China Corruption Probe Widens VOA 26 Jan 2015 -- A top Chinese security official and 16 senior People's Liberation Army (PLA) officers are reported to be the latest high-level suspects swept up in President Xi's Jinping's anti-corruption campaign.
- Marxism key to problem solving: Xi People's Daily 26 Jan 2015 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping's recent stress on dialectical materialism has brought about a resurgence of Marxist ideology as the theoretical foundation of the Communist Party of China (CPC) amid the nation's deepening reform, said observers.
- Zhou exerted 'baneful' influence in Sichuan People's Daily 26 Jan 2015 -- Sichuan's provincial anti-graft agency expressed its determination to carry on the fight against corruption while cleaning up the negative influence of China's ex-security chief Zhou Yongkang on the province's political circle.
- Weak think tanks shackle nation's governance upgrade People's Daily 24 Jan 2015 -- According to new guidelines from the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China and the State Council, China is seeking to develop a new type of think tank with Chinese characteristics. It is planned to build 50 to 100 high-end think tanks by 2020.
- China's leadership warns of unprecedented national security risks People's Daily 23 Jan 2015 -- The Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee warned China is facing unprecedented security risks and should remain alert.
- Li: China ready to face challenges People's Daily 23 Jan 2015 -- China plans to withstand downward pressure and continue with its strategic focus in 2015, Premier Li Keqiang told the annual World Economic Forum in Davos.
- Full Text of Chinese Premier Li Keqiang's address at World Economic Forum annual meeting People's Daily 23 Jan 2015 -- Visiting Chinese Premier Li Keqiang delivered a special address at the World Economic Forum annual meeting here Wednesday.
- China's Anti-Corruption Drive Builds in Xinjiang VOA 23 Jan 2015 -- Chinese state media say a record number of officials in the country's remote and restive northwest region of Xinjiang were put under investigation for corruption last year. The deepening crackdown came as Xinjiang saw a dramatic increase in what the government says were violent terrorist attacks.
- China urges U.S. to be impartial in South China Sea People's Daily 22 Jan 2015 -- A Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson on Thursday urged non-parties to stick to an objective and impartial stance over the South China Sea issue.
- Xi stresses grassroots consolidation in building stronger army People's Daily 22 Jan 2015 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has stressed strengthening grassroots units in building a stronger army when addressing troops based in Kunming, southwest China's Yunnan province.
- CPPCC set to expel disgraced former official from body People's Daily 21 Jan 2015 -- China's top political consultative body Tuesday approved a draft expelling Ling Jihuafrom the body.
- Reports on Chinese nationals trapped in Myanmar 'not true': spokeswoman People's Daily 20 Jan 2015 -- A Foreign Ministry spokeswoman said on Tuesday that media reports claiming hundreds of Chinese nationals have been trapped in Myanmar due to fighting are incorrect.
- Police crack down on people attempting to leave China to join jihadist organizations People's Daily 20 Jan 2015 -- Chinese police hold two people suspected of illegal border crossing transferred by Vietnamese police in April 2014. Photo: courtesy of CCTV
- Chinese, Russian Warplanes Prompt Japan To Scramble Jets At Record Pace RFE/RL 20 Jan 2015 -- Japan says it is scrambling its fighter jets at a record pace to confront Chinese and Russian warplanes in or near its airspace.
- China Dismisses Allegations of US F-35 Stealth Fighter Data Theft Sputnik 19 Jan 2015 -- China has rejected accusations that it stole 'huge volumes' of sensitive military data, including the US's F-35 stealth fighter design plans, after Der Spiegel publicized documents blaming the Chinese government for cyber espionage activities.
- Hundreds of Chinese trapped by fighting in eastern Myanmar People's Daily 19 Jan 2015 -- About 2,000 civilians including several hundred Chinese have been trapped in the warring area in Myanmar's state of Kachin, where fierce fighting broke out between government troops and the ethnic Kachin Independence Army (KIA), Global Times reported Sunday.
- Top leadership stresses Party's role in state organs People's Daily 17 Jan 2015 -- The top leadership of the Communist Party of China (CPC) on Friday stressed the Party's role in major state organs.
- Chinese army to look into corruption in staff housing projects People's Daily 17 Jan 2015 -- The People's Liberation Army (PLA) will start a two-year operation against malpractice and corruption in staff housing projects.
- China Voice: How corrupt army maintains combat power People's Daily 16 Jan 2015 -- The announcement that 16 senior military officials are under investigation or waiting for trial shocked many on Thursday, was the Communist Party of China (CPC)'s forceful response to their latest anti-graft pledge.
- PLA officers placed under investigation People's Daily 16 Jan 2015 -- Liu Zheng, deputy head of the People's Liberation Army's General Logistics Department, is under investigation for suspected legal violations, the PLA said on Thursday.
- China Anti-Graft Probe Puts Chief Spy in the Spotlight Sputnik 16 Jan 2015 -- Ma Jian, a top Chinese intelligence is being investigated by China's top anti-graft agency, the South China Morning Post reported.
- Another senior Chinese military logistics officer under investigation People's Daily 15 Jan 2015 -- Liu Zheng, deputy head of the People's Liberation Army's (PLA) General Logistics Department is under investigation for 'suspected legal violations,' the PLA announced Thursday.
- China, Japan to resume maritime talks People's Daily 14 Jan 2015 -- China and Japan agreed to launch a maritime crisis management system as soon as possible to reduce the risk of an accident in the air or at sea, as talks resumed on Monday after a long stall.
- Xi calls for more anti-corruption efforts despite achievements People's Daily 14 Jan 2015 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Tuesday warned the war on corruption was far from over, despite the country's many achievements.
- Xi says China's anti-graft battle far from over People's Daily 14 Jan 2015 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping said on Tuesday that the fight against graft still had challenges ahead.
- China Voice: Chinese army plays a role in int'l aid People's Daily 14 Jan 2015 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA), which has long been an important force in domestic disaster relief, is making more contributions in international aid.
- Hong Kong leader rules out deviation from China policy on elections Iran Press TV 14 Jan 2015 -- Hong Kong's Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying has stressed that his administration would not deviate from Beijing's policy on elections in the Chinese city.
- China's Tightening Censorship Seen As Breeding Resistance VOA 13 Jan 2015 -- A newly released report by rights group Freedom House says that while repression and censorship by China's Communist Party has intensified over the past two years since President Xi Jinping began taking over, so has resistance to government efforts to exert control.
- China Mediates Peace Talks on South Sudan VOA 12 Jan 2015 -- China has mediated talks between South Sudan's warring factions, winning pledges from the rivals to speed up the country's peace process.
- Chinese military offers aids to Malaysia People's Daily 12 Jan 2015 -- Two IL-76 air transport aircraft loaded with relief goods set out for Kuala Lumpur Monday morning, according to China's Ministry of National Defense.
- Defense Minister stresses improved ability to ensure stability in Xinjiang People's Daily 11 Jan 2015 -- Chinese State Councilor and Defense Minister Chang Wanquan has called on the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps (XPCC) to contribute more to social stability in Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.
- Chinese military to reshuffle grassroot officers People's Daily 11 Jan 2015 -- The People's Liberation Army (PLA) has ordered chief officers in charge of military and political work at the grassroots level to switch posts to strengthen the army.
- China continues Diaoyu Islands patrol People's Daily 10 Jan 2015 -- China Coast Guard (CCG) vessels conducted a patrol in waters surrounding the Diaoyu Islands on Friday, according to a statement by the State Oceanic Administration.
- China Starts Military Drills Near Korean Peninsula: Reports Sputnik 10 Jan 2015 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) has started its regular military drills in the waters adjacent to the Korean Peninsula, the Chinese ministry of national defense said in a statement posted on its official website.
- PLA launches new campaign to raise loyalty among servicemen People's Daily 08 Jan 2015 -- The People's Liberation Army (PLA) has kicked off a year-long education campaign for all soldiers and officers, said the PLA General Political Department Wednesday.
- Expert: Information weapons are the key to future warfare People's Daily 08 Jan 2015 -- 'Future warfare will be local wars under informationized conditions, China's military must improve its capabilities to control the information warfare', said Professor Zhu Chenghu at a forum on international issues in Beijing Tuesday.
- Pro-Democracy Lawmakers Walk Out of Hong Kong Parliament VOA 07 Jan 2015 -- Pro-democracy lawmakers in Hong Kong raising yellow umbrellas, a symbol of the territory's Occupy movement, walked out of a parliamentary session Wednesday when Chief Secretary Carrie Lam said the government was sticking with a proposal to pre-screen candidates for the city's 2017 election.
- Assembly of China's first large aircraft C919 almost complete People's Daily 06 Jan 2015 -- Assembly of the first large passenger aircraft built by a Chinese company is nearly complete.
- Export quota system for rare earths abolished People's Daily 06 Jan 2015 -- China has ended a quota system previously aimed at restricting exports of rare earths, a move in line with a World Trade Organization panel ruling last March.
- China urges U.S. to be cautious on Taiwan-related issues People's Daily 05 Jan 2015 -- The United States should be cautious how it approaches Taiwan-related issues, China's Foreign Ministry warned after Taiwan's ' Economic and Cultural Representative Office' in Washington held a 'flag-raising' ceremony on Jan. 1.
- China calls for caution following new U.S. sanctions on DPRK People's Daily 05 Jan 2015 -- A Chinese spokeswoman called for caution after the United States imposed new sanctions on the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).
- China, S Korea Reaffirm Tough Stance Toward N Korean Nuclear Weapon Program Sputnik 05 Jan 2015 -- China and South Korea have reaffirmed their zero tolerance position towards North Korea's nuclear weapon program and agreed to enhance cooperation to maintain peace in the region, South's foreign ministry said Monday.
- China launches website on military weaponry procurement People's Daily 04 Jan 2015 -- A website on military weapon procurement was officially launched on Sunday.
- Sino-US ties set to be modified, diplomat says People's Daily 02 Jan 2015 -- A senior Chinese diplomat has suggested that Asia will be 'the starting point' for forging a new type of relationship between China and the United States.
- China's Senior Diplomat Sacked for Suspected Corruption: Foreign Ministry Sputnik 02 Jan 2015 -- China's Assistant Foreign Minister Zhang Kunsheng has been removed from his office for 'suspected disciplinary violation,' the country's Foreign Ministry announced Friday.
- China urges Japan to respect fact as record emerges on disputed islands People's Daily 01 Jan 2015 -- Japan should recognize history and respect facts concerning the disputed Diaoyu Islands, Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Hua Chunying said in Beijing on Wednesday.
- China will be more proactive in reinforcing ties with neighbors: diplomat People's Daily 01 Jan 2015 -- China will be even more proactive in pursuing a friendly and good-neighborly policy toward its neighboring countries in the new year, Chinese Assistant Foreign Minister Liu Jianchao said here Wednesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list