Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
November 2014 - China Special Weapons News
- Fresh clashes erupt between police, protesters in Honk Kong Iran Press TV 30 Nov 2014 -- Clashes have broken out between police forces and anti-election law protesters in a fresh escalation of tensions in Honk Kong.
- Hong Kong Police Clash With Protestors as Unrest Continues Sputnik 30 Nov 2014 -- Clashes between police and pro-democracy protestors in Hong Kong continued on Sunday, when attempts by activists to protest outside government buildings were stopped by the authorities.
- China Voice: PLA brooks no corrupt figures People's Daily 28 Nov 2014 -- The People's Liberation Army (PLA) is getting tougher on corruption, reflecting the Party's resolution to 'purify' the army.
- Chinese spokesman urges Japan to abide by four-point agreement People's Daily 27 Nov 2014 -- A Chinese defense ministry spokesman on Thursday urged Japan to abide by a four-point principled agreement reached recently between the two countries.
- China criticizes Japan playing up South China Sea ADIZ People's Daily 27 Nov 2014 -- The China Air Defense Identification Zone, which was launched over the East China Sea last year, has ensured safety and stability, the Defense Ministry said Thursday.
- China's Defense Ministry denies overseas base in Walvis Bay People's Daily 27 Nov 2014 -- A spokesman for China's Defense Ministry on Thursday denied reports that China was planning to build an overseas base in Walvis Bay, Namibia, the country's only deep-water port.
- HK protest leaders arrested People's Daily 27 Nov 2014 -- Two key student leaders at the heart of the Hong Kong Occupy protests were arrested Wednesday during the second day that authorities moved to clear a major protest site in Mong Kok, as residents and business owners expressed relief over resumed traffic and business operations in the area.
- China hunts for corrupt officials with strengthened cross-border cooperation People's Daily 26 Nov 2014 -- As the deadline China sets for economic crime fugitives to return home looms, the country is calling for more international cooperation.
- Hong Kong Police Arrest Protest Leaders, Clear Streets VOA 25 Nov 2014 -- Hong Kong authorities cleared a main protest camp Wednesday and arrested two leaders of the Occupy Central movement, which is calling for greater democracy in the semiautonomous Chinese territory.
- 80 Detained As Police Use Pepper Spray to Disperse Protesters in Hong Kong Sputnik 25 Nov 2014 -- Hong Kong police have arrested 80 protesters and used pepper spray to disperse pro-democracy activists in an attempt to partially clear one of the main protest sites in the city, AFP reports.
- Hong Kong Protest's Founders Plan to Surrender VOA 24 Nov 2014 -- The three co-founders of Hong Kong's Occupy movement say they will surrender to police next month, but student leaders say they will not follow their lead.
- Philippines Leery of Development on Reef Reclamation in S. China Sea VOA 24 Nov 2014 -- New satellite imagery of a Chinese land reclamation project in disputed waters of the South China Sea is drawing new concern from the United States and the Philippines.
- Beijing Defends Construction on Disputed Islands in South China Sea Sputnik 24 Nov 2014 -- China has come out and said that its land reclamation project on the reef off the disputed Spratly Islands in the South China Sea is aimed at improving living conditions of Chinese nationals there, as well as to increase Beijing's capabilities to assist in international search and rescue efforts, Reuters reports, citing the country's official.
- US should stay out of S.China Sea land reclamation issue: PLA general People's Daily 24 Nov 2014 -- 'Stay out of it.' That appears to be the message of a general of China's People's Liberation Army, following reports the US urged China to halt land reclamation activities in the South China Sea.
- China, Canada pledge to boost military ties People's Daily 24 Nov 2014 -- Chinese Defense Minister Chang Wanquan met with Yvan Blondin, the visiting commander of the Royal Canadian Air Force, on Monday, with both vowing to enhance bilateral military relations.
- Xi's Pacific trip demonstrates new diplomatic style, strategy People's Daily 24 Nov 2014 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping's visit to Fiji, which concluded Sunday, demonstrated a new diplomatic style as China seeks to reshape its international image as a major world power by developing wide diplomatic ties that recognize the strategic significance of both smaller and major countries, said analysts.
- China, Serbia up military cooperation People's Daily 22 Nov 2014 -- Vice Chairman of China's Central Military Commission Fan Changlong met with visiting Serbian Defence Minister Bratislav Gasic on Friday, vowing improved military cooperation.
- Japan should observe its commitment People's Daily 23 Nov 2014 -- Japan should observe its commitment as made in the four-point agreement that the two countries reached recently, Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hong Lei said here Saturday.
- Spotlight: China reaffirms friendship, cooperation with Pacific island countries People's Daily 23 Nov 2014 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping reaffirmed China's traditional friendship with Pacific island countries Saturday, pledging continued support and assistance to those countries in developing economy, building infrastructural facilities and tackling climate change.
- China pledges more dialogue on regional disputes Iran Press TV 21 Nov 2014 -- Chinese Defense Minister Chang Wanquan says Beijing wants to improve dialogue to manage territorial disputes with the country's neighbors over islands and waters in the South China Sea.
- China Foreign Ministry Urges US to Stop Accusing Beijing of Cyber Attacks Sputnik 21 Nov 2014 -- China's Foreign Ministry urged the United States Friday to stop accusing Beijing of cyberattacks.
- China launches new disaster monitoring satellite People's Daily 21 Nov 2014 -- A satellite for natural disaster monitoring was successfully launched into orbit at 2:37 p.m. Friday, China's Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center announced.
- Russian satellite may be able to chase spacecraft: Observers Iran Press TV 21 Nov 2014 -- Russia has launched a satellite that may be capable of chasing down other orbiting spacecraft, following similar trials carried out by the United States and China this year, observers say.
- China urges for dialogue, cooperation on DPRK human rights dispute People's Daily 20 Nov 2014 -- China on Thursday called for constructive dialogue and cooperation to solve dispute over human right issue in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), and reaffirmed its adherence to denuclearization on the Korean Peninsula.
- Chinese VP meets foreign defense officials People's Daily 20 Nov 2014 -- Chinese Vice President Li Yuanchao on Thursday met with senior foreign defense and military officials attending the fifth Xiangshan Forum in Beijing.
- China to step up oil, gas exploration in East, South China Seas People's Daily 20 Nov 2014 -- China aims to raise petroleum output by updating its technology and stepping up oil and gas exploration across Bohai, East China and South China Seas.
- China Sends Peacekeeping Team to Conflict-Torn South Sudan Sputnik 19 Nov 2014 -- China has sent a team of 100 military and medical personnel on a peacekeeping mission to conflict-torn South Sudan, Xinhua news agency reported Wednesday
- Nine Chinese aircraft finish Ebola rescue task People's Daily 19 Nov 2014 -- China's largest health rescue overseas has completed, with nine passenger planes and freighters uniting efforts in Ebola-hit countries, according to the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC).
- China unveils energy strategy, targets for 2020 People's Daily 19 Nov 2014 -- China issued an energy strategy for the upcoming years on Wednesday, and a long list of targets in the hope of building a modern energy structure.
- Cooperation with Russia a priority to Chinese military: senior official People's Daily 19 Nov 2014 -- Advancing China-Russia military cooperation is a priority for China's armed forces' foreign relations, vice chairman of China's Central Military Commission Xu Qiliang said on Wednesday.
- Hong Kong Protesters Clash with Police Outside Parliament VOA 18 Nov 2014 -- Police in Hong Kong clashed with protesters who tried to force their way into the territory's parliament building early Wednesday.
- China insists on 'dual-track' approach to resolving South China Sea issues People's Daily 18 Nov 2014 -- China's proposal of a 'dual-track' approach on the South China Sea issue was confirmed at the 12th China-ASEAN Meeting.
- Russia, China Concerned by US Attempt to Increase Influence in Asia-Pacific Sputnik 18 Nov 2014 -- Russia and China are concerned by the US determination to strengthen its influence in the Asia-Pacific region, the Russian defense minister said Tuesday after talks with his Chinese counterpart.
- Police Remove Barricades in Hong Kong, Clear Out Protest Site Sputnik 18 Nov 2014 -- Hong Kong authorities started to clear out protesters from a site in the Admiralty area, following the high court's authorization. Police met no resistance, student protesters said they would not oppose the court order.
- Hong Kong Police Start Clearing Protest Areas VOA 18 Nov 2014 -- Workers in Hong Kong Tuesday began clearing barricades in a small area of the downtown occupied by pro-democracy protesters. The slow but calculated effort, backed by a court order, aims to erode the area held by the demonstrators without provoking more dissent. Protesters say the effort to clear the streets could take days.
- China tackles Ebola in Liberia People's Daily 17 Nov 2014 -- China has dispatched more than 160 military medical workers to operate an Ebola treatment center in Monrovia, the capital of Liberia - the first time that China has consigned a large military medical group overseas.
- China explains to world how to deepen reform in 'new normal' state People's Daily 17 Nov 2014 -- As G20 leaders in Brisbane, Australia,pledged measures to boost their economies, Chinese President Xi Jinping shared China's recipe for the future: deepening reform.
- Air force plans to modify pilot selection process People's Daily 17 Nov 2014 -- The People's Liberation Army air force will upgrade its pilot selection procedure, adding individual psychological tests and flight simulation to the country's strictest recruitment process, air force officials said.
- China not to engage in conflicts to pursue goals: Xi Iran Press TV 17 Nov 2014 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has pledged that his country will never resort to force to pursue its national interests, reaffirming Beijing's commitment to protecting global peace and security.
- China Pledges to Refrain From Using Force to Attain Goals: Xi Sputnik 17 Nov 2014 -- China's President Xi Jinping vowed not to use force to achieve the country's goals, stressing China is "dedicated to upholding peace".
- China to Introduce Own Space Law in 2020: National Space Administration Sputnik 17 Nov 2014 -- Beijing promises to abide by international space law despite introducing its own corresponding legislation.
- China Acuses About 300 Former Government Officials of Financial Crime Sputnik 17 Nov 2014 -- China to serve charges on about 300 former state officials for financial crimes as the 'fox hunt program' continues, China Daily reports
- Chinese weapons winning battle for int'l market People's Daily 17 Nov 2014 -- Chinese-made armaments have become increasingly popular in the international market, according to an industry insider.
- China Launches New Surveillance Satellite Saturday Sputnik 15 Nov 2014 -- The satellite "will be used for scientific experiments, natural resource surveying, estimating crop yields and disaster relief."
- China Training Pakistan Army Along Indo-Pakistani Border Sputnik 15 Nov 2014 -- The intelligence wing of India's Border Security Force reports that the Chinese Army conducts training of Pakistani military personnel near the troubled Rajouri sector of the international border between India and Pakistan, the situation on the border is 'tense, but generally peaceful.'
- Chinese officials told to use power lawfully People's Daily 15 Nov 2014 -- A senior leader of the Communist Party of China (CPC) has called on Party officials to respect the law and wield their power lawfully.
- Hong Kong police to give fully aid to enforce injunction: official People's Daily 15 Nov 2014 -- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government Police Force will fully assist bailiffs to enforce the injunction in occupying areas, abide by the High Court instructions, Commissioner of Police Tsang Wai-hung said Saturday.
- Defense Ministry hails China-U.S. military mutual trust mechanisms People's Daily 15 Nov 2014 -- The China-U.S. new type of military relations proposed by President Xi Jinping will play an important role in the two countries' future military cooperation, according to the Ministry of National Defense on Friday.
- Spokesman: Four-point agreement crucial for improving China-Japan relations People's Daily 14 Nov 2014 -- The four-point agreement between China and Japan is an important condition for improving relations between the two countries, Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hong Lei said Friday.
- Russia, China to Start Joint Production of Helicopters, Engines: Rostec Sputnik 14 Nov 2014 -- Russia and China have agreed on a joint project to build helicopters and engines, Russia's high-tech Rostec corporation told RIA Novosti Friday.
- China, Pakistan pledge to strengthen air force cooperation People's Daily 14 Nov 2014 -- Chinese Defense Minister Chang Wanquan on Friday met with visiting Pakistani Chief of Air Staff Marshal Tahir Rafique Butt to discuss bilateral military ties, including cooperation between the countries' air forces.
- China, Singapore defense ministers hold talks People's Daily 14 Nov 2014 -- Chinese Defense Minister Chang Wanquan and Minister of National Defence of Singapore Ng Eng Hen on Friday held talks and reached a four-point consensus.
- China's graft inspection to target state-owned groups People's Daily 14 Nov 2014 -- Companies and public service groups supervised by the Communist Party of China (CPC) and government departments will face a new round of top-level disciplinary inspections amid China's anti-corruption drive.
- Xi outlines proposal to further cement China-Australia ties People's Daily 14 Nov 2014 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping, in a signed article published Friday on the Australian Financial Review newspaper, propounded a multi-point proposal on deepening China-Australia friendship and cooperation.
- India, China to Hold Counter-Terror Drill VOA 13 Nov 2014 -- Hundreds of Indian and Chinese soldiers met in a tense standoff on their disputed border just two months ago. This Sunday, the two countries will carry out counterterrorism exercises -- together.
- China, India to hold anti-terror training drill People's Daily 13 Nov 2014 -- The Chinese and Indian armies will hold a joint counterterrorism military training drill in the near future, a source with the Chinese military said on Thursday.
- China, Russia ink energy agreements People's Daily 13 Nov 2014 -- Gas import from Russia via the western route will hit 30 billion cubic meters per year and last for three decades, according to the China National Petroleum Corp (CNPC) on Thursday.
- Hong Kong Protest Leaders to Turn Themselves In VOA 12 Nov 2014 -- The three founders of Hong Kong's Occupy Central movement are planning to turn themselves over to police soon in what supporters described as an act of civil disobedience to show respect for the rule of law.
- APEC Economic Leaders' Meeting concluded with major consensus People's Daily 12 Nov 2014 -- Leaders from the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) economies concluded their annual meeting here Tuesday, agreeing on economic integration, innovation and connectivity.
- Obama: US does not support 'independence' of Taiwan,Tibet People's Daily 12 Nov 2014 -- U.S. President Barack Obama reiterated on Wednesday that the United States does not support 'independence' of Taiwan and Tibet.
- China, U.S. highlight new type of major-country relations People's Daily 12 Nov 2014 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping and his U.S. counterpart Barack Obama on Tuesday pledged to push forward a new type of major-country relations between the two countries.
- President Xi advocates new type of military relations with U.S. People's Daily 12 Nov 2014 -- President Xi Jinping on Wednesday proposed 'a new type of military relations' that suits the new type of major-country relationship between China and the United States.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, Deputy National Security Advisor for Strategic Communications Ben Rhodes and U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman The White House 11 Nov 2014
- APEC Leaders Back China-led Free Trade Zone VOA 11 Nov 2014 -- Asia-Pacific leaders meeting at an economic summit in Beijing have given their initial approval to a China-led free trade zone.
- Rights and wrongs crystal clear: Xi to Abe People's Daily 11 Nov 2014 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Monday held their first meeting since taking office, with Xi saying that the rights and wrongs of the last two years of tense Sino-Japanese ties were 'crystal clear.'
- Xi outlines expected progress People's Daily 11 Nov 2014 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has said the launch of the Free Trade Area of the Asia-Pacific (FTAAP) process and boosting regional connectivity are among the expected achievements of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) meetings being held in Beijing this year.
- Japan Refuses to Acknowledge Territorial Dispute with China: Tokyo Sputnik 11 Nov 2014 -- Japan does not recognize the existence of a territorial dispute over the Senkaku Islands with China, Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida confirmed on Tuesday.
- China plans to launch about 120 applied satellites People's Daily 11 Nov 2014 -- China will launch around 120 more applied satellites to accommodate economic and social needs, a senior executive of China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation said on Monday.
- China's deepened overall reform a new impetus for global development People's Daily 11 Nov 2014 -- Deepening reform in an all-round way, China, the host of the ongoing Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) meetings, is confident to give new impetus to the development of the Asia-Pacific region and the world.
- China reveals sophisticated stealth fighter jet Iran Press TV 11 Nov 2014 -- China has officially unveiled a sophisticated stealth fighter jet in a move believed to enhance its military status in the region.
- Russian Engine to Power Chinese J-31 Fighter Jets: Rosoboronexport Sputnik 10 Nov 2014 -- A Russian-made RD-93 engine will power the Chinese J-31 fifth generation fighter, Rosoboronexport official told RIA Novosti Monday.
- Despite Tensions, China Gives Obama Warm Welcome VOA 10 Nov 2014 -- President Barack Obama has a received a warm welcome in China, despite tensions on issues like trade, human rights, and China's territorial claims in the East and South China Seas.
- China, Singapore joint army training concludes People's Daily 10 Nov 2014 -- A joint military training exercise by China and Singapore concluded here in east China's Jiangsu Province on Sunday.
- Obama in Beijing for Summit, State Visit VOA 09 Nov 2014 -- President Barack Obama has arrived in Beijing on what is expected to be a polite but difficult three-day visit as tensions simmer between the two Pacific powers.
- Russia, China sign deal on gas supply route Iran Press TV 09 Nov 2014 -- Russia and China have inked a memorandum of understanding to develop a second route for the delivery of Russian gas to the world's second largest economy.
- Putin Touts China Ties, Gas Deals Signed RFE/RL 09 Nov 2014 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has touted relations with China during a visit to Beijing that comes as his ties with the West are badly strained over the Ukraine crisis.
- Russia, China Sign Energy Deals at APEC Summit VOA 09 Nov 2014 -- China and Russia have signed energy cooperation agreements on the sidelines of the annual Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in Beijing.
- Chinese president proposes Asia-Pacific dream People's Daily 09 Nov 2014 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping called for efforts to create and fulfill an Asia-Pacific dream here Sunday, saying China's economy will bring huge opportunities and benefits to the region and the world.
- China's Xi Supports Democracy for Hong Kong "Within the Law" RIA Novosti 09 Nov 2014 -- Mainland China's leader Xi Jinping during a meeting with Hong Hong's Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying expressed support for the city's democratic aspirations "within the law", while the "Occupy Central" street protest enters its seventh week.
- China, neighbors vow to strengthen connectivity, deepen cooperation People's Daily 09 Nov 2014 -- China and its neighbors pledged on Saturday to enhance connectivity and deepen practical cooperation to seek Asia's common development.
- China, Japan agreement 'major step' in relations: Chinese FM People's Daily 09 Nov 2014 -- The four-point principled agreement reached Friday between China and Japan is 'a major step' toward the improvement of bilateral relations, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Saturday.
- Press Availability in Beijing, China US Dept. of State 08 Nov 2014 -- November 8, 2014 Press Availability by John Kerry, Secretary of State at the China National Convention Center, Beijing, China
- Why US is stamping down on Airshow China People's Daily 08 Nov 2014 -- China International Aviation & Aerospace Exhibition (Airshow China) is developing a growing international reputation.
- China, Japan acknowledge differences, agree to resume dialogue People's Daily 07 Nov 2014 -- China and Japan agreed Friday to gradually resume political, diplomatic and security dialogue while acknowledging different positions on the Diaoyu Islands.
- China, Japan Agree to Expand Dialogue VOA 07 Nov 2014 -- China and Japan have agreed to ramp up dialogue, a move that could represent a breakthrough in long-frosty ties between the world's second- and third-largest economies.
- Xi orders change in oversight of army People's Daily 07 Nov 2014 -- China's top military body took over the People's Liberation Army auditing office on Thursday, Xinhua News Agency reported.
- China military reaches key decision to strengthen auditing People's Daily 06 Nov 2014 -- The auditing office for the People's Liberation Army (PLA) has been put under the direct management of the Central Military Commission (CMC), a move to heighten its independence and authority as part of the army's efficiency drive.
- Norinco Group to participate in Airshow China for the first time People's Daily 06 Nov 2014 -- China North Industries Group Corporation (Norinco Group) is going all out in preparation for the upcoming 10th China International Aviation & Aerospace Exhibition (Airshow China), according to a press release from the company on Oct. 30, 2014. e
- China warns HK ex-governor against provoking protesters Iran Press TV 06 Nov 2014 -- China has warned the ex-governor of Hong Kong against provoking anti-election law protesters in the region.
- Midterm result will further thwart Obama People's Daily 05 Nov 2014 -- The US midterm elections kicked off Tuesday. The overall situation does not favor President Barack Obama. In the Republican-controlled House of Representatives, Democrat seats are likely to decrease. The Republicans also aim for a big change in the Senate so as to control both houses of Congress. If so, the lame-duck president will be further crippled.
- China slams last colonial governor for remarks on HK Occupy Movement People's Daily 05 Nov 2014 -- China slammed Hong Kong's last colonial governor Chris Patten and urged him to stop 'inciting the illegal Occupy Central Movement in Hong Kong' on Wednesday.
- Full probe of Zhou Yongkang case needs time: official People's Daily 05 Nov 2014 -- The investigation in Zhou Yongkang's case is under way and needs time to finish the in-depth process, China's vice minister of justice Zhang Sujun said Wednesday.
- Facts & Figures: Chinese air force observes 65th anniversary People's Daily 05 Nov 2014 -- The People's Liberation Army (PLA) Air Force will observe its 65th anniversary next week during the Airshow China 2014, which is to be held from Nov. 11-16.
- Chinese Paper Blasts Obama Ahead of Visit VOA 05 Nov 2014 -- Just days before President Barack Obama travels to China for a regional summit, a prominent, state-run paper there is accusing him of being an ineffective leader who has done an 'insipid' job in office.
- India Concerned About Chinese Subs in Sri Lankan Ports VOA 05 Nov 2014 -- India has expressed strong concerns to Sri Lanka for allowing Chinese submarines to dock at its port this month. China's growing naval presence in the Indian Ocean region has opened a new area of rivalry for the two Asian countries.
- Remarks on U.S.-China Relations US Dept. of State 04 Nov 2014-- Remarks by John Kerry, Secretary of State at the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studiese
- PLA vice chairman calls for strict management of army People's Daily 04 Nov 2014 -- A high-ranking officer of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) voiced support to President Xi Jinping's instruction of building a strong military in accordance with the law.
- China Successfully Develops Laser System Able to Shoot Down Drones in Seconds: Reports RIA Novosti 03 Nov 2014 -- China has successfully developed a laser defense system that can shoot down small-scale low flying drones within a two kilometer radius in five seconds, Xinhua news reported.
- CPC command of military must be upheld People's Daily 03 Nov 2014 -- The military political work conference was held in the township of Gutian, Fujian Province last week. Eighty-five years ago, the famous Gutian Conference was held there, which stipulated the basic principle of the Party leading the military. Today, the military political work conference sends a clear signal.
- China passes Counterespionage Law for comprehensive state security People's Daily 02 Nov 2014 -- China's top legislature adopted an Counterespionage Law Saturday aimed at more comprehensive state security. Members of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress (NPC) passed the bill through a vote at the close of the bi-monthly legislative session attended by top legislator Zhang Dejiang.
- Xi urges army to reflect on Xu Caihou case People's Daily 02 Nov 2014 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has called for serious reflection on the discipline and law violations by former Central Military Commission (CMC) Vice Chairman Xu Caihou.
- Over 1.5 million sign petition against Occupy Central in HK People's Daily 02 Nov 2014 -- In Hong Kong, the anti-Occupy Central group, Alliance for Peace and Democracy, says it has collected over 1.5 million signatures as of Saturday.
- China goes ahead with its anti-Ebola aid People's Daily 01 Nov 2014 -- China is delivering more supplies and pledges to the West African countries struggling to quench the Ebola outbreak.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list