Chinese Corruption Suspects No Longer Safe Abroad
MOSCOW, September 27 (RIA Novosti) – China's Supreme People's Procuratorate (SPP) has started a six-month campaign that will target corruption suspects, including those who have fled overseas, Chinese news agency Xinhua reported on Saturday.
Under the campaign's framework, the SPP will introduce more robust confiscation rules to target corrupt officials, as well as push for collaboration with other departments, such as the police and courts, to enhance the country's anti-corruption measures, Reuters said.
"The rule of law must be resolutely upheld and crimes must be strongly dealt with and cracked down on", read a statement issued by the SPP.
The SPP anti-corruption campaign will attempt to use China's judicial reciprocity agreements to conduct international operations and catch those who have been found guilty of corruption, Xinhua reported.
However, it might be a challenging task to have Chinese economic fugitives extradited to China from the United States, as the two countries have not signed an extradition treaty, Reuters said.
This comes after the Chinese Ministry of Public Security launched a program, known as the "Fox Hunt" campaign, to pursue economic fugitives in July. US, Canadian and Australian diplomats based in Beijing have reported being under increasing pressure to take part in the widening anti-corruption campaign, according to the Financial Times (FT).
The FT article stated that between 2005 and 2011, close to $2.9 trillion had been illegally transferred out of China.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|