Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2011 - China Special Weapons News
- Kim Jong Il Meets Chinese Ambassador to DPRK KCNA 31 Oct 2011 -- General Secretary Kim Jong I, Monday met Liu Hongcai, Chinese ambassador to the DPRK.
- China to launch 20 space freighters with 25 satellites in 2011 - aerospace expert RIA Novosti 30 Oct 2011 -- China will launch 20 carrier rockets with 25 satellites into space by the end of the year, what would make China the world's second country after Russia on the amount of space launches, Xinhua quoted on Sunday an aerospace expert as saying.
- China's military buildup threatens cross-strait peace: U.S. report CNA 27 Oct 2011 -- China's growing military power lowers the likelihood of a peaceful resolution to the tensions across the Taiwan Strait, according to a draft report by a U.S. Congressional commission.
- China interested in setting up bases in Pakistan: Daily IRNA 26 Oct 2011 -- China is interested in setting up military bases either in Pakistani tribal region or the Northern areas which are closer to the Chinese province of Xinjiang.
- Beijing welcomes proposed peace accord with Taiwan RIA Novosti 26 Oct 2011 -- The Chinese leadership supports a peace accord proposed by Taiwanese leader Ma Ying-jeou.
- China's Rare Earth Minerals Supply Manipulation Could Backfire VOA 26 Oct 2011 -- Last week, China’s biggest producer of rare earths elements suspended production for the 17 minerals essential for manufacturing modern technologies.
- Li Keqiang Returns Home KCNA 25 Oct 2011 -- Li Keqiang, vice-premier of the State Council of China, flew back home after paying an official goodwill visit to the DPRK at the invitation of the C.C., Workers' Party of Korea and the DPRK government.
- Sino-DPRK Friendship, Treasure Common to Two Peoples: Li Keqiang KCNA 25 Oct 2011 -- I was pleased to pay an official goodwill visit to the DPRK, said Li Keqiang, vice-premier of the State Council of China.
- Rodong Sinmun on Steadily Developing DPRK-China Friendship KCNA 25 Oct 2011 -- The DPRK-China friendship, the history of which has steadily continued through generations century after century, will grow stronger by joint efforts of the parties, governments and peoples of the two countries.
- Kim Jong Il Receives Chinese Vice-Premier KCNA 24 Oct 2011 -- Kim Jong Il, general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea and chairman of the National Defence Commission of the DPRK, on Monday received Li Keqiang, member of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the C.C., the Communist Party of China and vice-premier of the State Council of China, on a visit to the DPRK.
- Vice-Premier of China Arrives in Pyongyang KCNA 23 Oct 2011 -- Li Keqiang, member of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the C.C., the Communist Party of China and vice-premier of the State Council of China, arrived in Pyongyang by air on Sunday to pay an official goodwill visit to the DPRK at the invitation of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea and the DPRK government.
- Panetta Praises China for Response to Taiwan Arms Sale VOA 23 Oct 2011 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has praised China for its muted reaction to the latest U.S. arms sale to Taiwan.
- Taiwan: No timetable for peace pact referendum CNA 21 Oct 2011 -- Premier Wu: No timetable for initiating a referendum on a possible peace pact with China.
- Signing of nuclear safety pact defends Taiwan's sovereignty: MAC CNA 21 Oct 2011 -- The signing of a nuclear safety pact with China has not downgraded Taiwan's national sovereignty.
- Peace pact with China will require referendum: president CNA 20 Oct 2011 -- President Ma: Government would obtain Taiwanese people's approval before pushing for a peace pact with mainland China.
- Referendum needed to push forward peace pact with China: official CNA 20 Oct 2011 -- The government will definitely hold a referendum before it pushes forward President Ma idea for signing a peace pact with China.
- Taiwan, China sign nuclear safety cooperation pact CNA 20 Oct 2011 -- Top negotiators from Taiwan and China signed a nuclear safety cooperation agreement.
- 7th round of high-level cross-strait talks opens in Tianjin CNA 20 Oct 2011 -- A seventh round of high-level talks between Taiwan and China opened in the northern Chinese city of Tianjin.
- Taiwan delegation heads for China for 7th round of high-level talks CNA 19 Oct 2011 -- A Taiwanese delegation departed for China ahead of the latest round of institutionalized talks between Taiwan and China.
- Top Chinese negotiator comments on Taiwan peace pact idea CNA 19 Oct 2011 -- Economic matters have to be dealt with before political issues in the current cross-Taiwan Strait exchanges, China's top negotiator said.
- Referendum needed to push forward peace pact with China CNA 19 Oct 2011 -- Taiwan's government will definitely hold a referendum before it pushes forward President Ma's idea for a peace pact with mainland China.
- Misconception to link peace pact with unification: president CNA 19 Oct 2011 -- President Ma made a fresh attempt to clear up doubts among his critics over the possibility of signing a peace pact with China.
- China's Leaders Aim to Expand Influence of Chinese Culture VOA 19 Oct 2011 -- China’s ruling Communist Party elite wrapped up a four-day annual meeting in Beijing.
- China not seeking global leadership - Foreign Ministry RIA Novosti 18 Oct 2011 -- China has no plans of seeking global leadership, the country’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Weimin said.
- MAC sees peace accord as way to maintain cross-strait status quo CNA 18 Oct 2011 -- MAC: President Ma's consideration of signing a peace accord with China is an attempt to sustain the cross-strait status quo.
- President says cross-strait peace pact unrelated to unification CNA 18 Oct 2011 -- President Ma: Cross-strait peace is an issue that must be faced and accord would not represent negotiating unification with the mainland.
- Intelligence officer faces life imprisonment for espionage CNA 18 Oct 2011 -- Taiwan's Military Supreme Court upheld a life sentence for senior military intelligence officer Lo Chi-cheng, convicted on charges of espionage and corruption.
- Compensation clauses urged in cross-strait nuclear pact CNA 18 Oct 2011 -- A legislator urged the government to make sure that compensation clauses are included in a cross-Taiwan Strait nuclear power safety agreement.
- Peace pact with China could be considered within 10 years: Ma CNA 17 Oct 2011 -- President Ma: Government would "cautiously consider" whether Taiwan should sign a peace agreement with China within the next decade.
- Taiwan President Mulls Peace Treaty With China VOA 17 Oct 2011 -- Taiwan President Ma Ying-jeou says he would like to sign a peace treaty with China in the coming decade, if the people of the island agree.
- China Urges Reunification at 100th Anniversary of Demise of Last Dynasty VOA 10 Oct 2011 -- Chinese President Hu Jintao used Monday's 100th anniversary of the Xinhai Revolution that brought an end of imperial China to call for reunification with Taiwan, an island that has been governed for the last six decades by the Chinese Nationalists.
- Russia arrests Chinese national for spying RIA Novosti 05 Oct 2011 -- Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) has detained a Chinese national they say was trying to gain access to secret information about the S-300 air defense system, the FSB said in a statement on Wednesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list