Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2008 - China Special Weapons News
- India, China to hold new round of boundary talks IRNA 31 Dec 2008 -- India and China will hold a new round of talks on the vexed border issue which is an area of 'differences and divergences' despite bilateral relations having witnessed 'visible' improvement
- Chinese ships leave for anti-piracy mission off Somalia RIA Novosti 26 Dec 2008 -- A Chinese naval task force left a military base in the southern city of Sanya on Friday to take part in international efforts to combat Somali pirates in the Gulf of Aden.
- China Launches Anti-Piracy Mission VOA 26 Dec 2008 -- Three Chinese warships were on their way to the Gulf of Aden Friday to join international efforts to fight Somali pirate attacks.
- China successfully orbits its 3rd weather satellite RIA Novosti 23 Dec 2008 -- China has successfully orbited its third meteorological satellite, the Fengyun-2-06, the country's central television CCTV reported on Tuesday.
- China Assures Economic Assistance to Taiwan VOA 20 Dec 2008 -- China says it is willing to provide economic assistance to Taiwan if the island needs it to get through the global financial downturn.
- China Sends Ships to Fight Somali Pirates VOA 18 Dec 2008 -- China has officially announced that it is indeed sending naval ships to join international efforts to combat pirates who have been hijacking ships off the coast of Somalia.
- Russia delays delivery of 38 military planes to China till 2010 RIA Novosti 17 Dec 2008 -- Russia will deliver 38 military planes to China, when a new aircraft production line is up and running, but not before 2010, the head of the federal military cooperation service said on Wednesday.
- Direct flights, shipping, postal links opened between Taiwan, China CNA 15 Dec 2008 -- After nearly six decades, Taiwan and China on Monday resumed daily direct passenger flights, direct cargo flights and direct shipping links, seen by many as a step toward ending decades of hostilities and cutting the cost of travel and trade between the two countries
- China, Taiwan Start Direct Air, Sea, Postal Links VOA 15 Dec 2008 -- China and Taiwan have begun direct air, sea and postal links. The move Monday marks a historical milestone in cross-strait relations, after the two sides split following a civil war nearly six decades ago.
- Chinese Defence Minister on China-DPRK Cooperation KCNA 15 Dec 2008 -- Col. General Liang Guanglie, minister of National Defense of China, met and had a talk with the delegation of officials for foreign affairs of the Korean People's Army on a visit to China at the August 1 Building in Beijing on December 12.
- China accuses Dalai Lama of ordering assassinations RIA Novosti 12 Dec 2008 -- Chinese media accused spiritual leader Dalai Lama of involvement in the deaths of opponents and religious dissidents.
- Russia, China to strengthen ties in military aircraft production RIA Novosti 10 Dec 2008 -- Russia and China are set to boost cooperation in the sphere of combat aircraft production, the director general of Russia's Sukhoi aircraft manufacturer said on Wednesday.
- Russian, Chinese defense ministers to meet in Beijing RIA Novosti 10 Dec 2008 -- The Russian and Chinese defense ministers will meet in Beijing on Wednesday to discuss military cooperation, U.S. plans for a Central European missile shield, and North Korea's nuclear program.
- China Considers Humanitarian Aid for Zimbabwe VOA 09 Dec 2008 -- China is considering sending humanitarian assistance to hard-hit Zimbabwe, which is suffering from a major cholera epidemic.
- Indo-China joint Army exercise begins Saturday in Karnataka IRNA 06 Dec 2008 -- The first-ever Sino-Indian military combat exercises on Indian soil to counter terror and insurgency began at Belgaum in Karnataka state Saturday morning
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list