Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
- Brazil's President Temer faces new corruption charge Press TV 20 Dec 2018 -- Brazilian President Michel Temer has been charged with corruption and money laundering following an investigation into graft related to alleged concessions in running the country's ports.
- Trump of the tropics Bolsonaro wins Brazil presidential polls in blow to left Press TV 29 Oct 2018 -- Far-right candidate Jair Bolsonaro wins Brazil's presidential polls in a body blow to the country's left-of-the-center politicians, who were in the saddle for the most part of its most recent history.
- Presidential Elections in Brazil US Dept. of State 29 Oct 2018
- Far-Right Candidate Wins Brazil's Presidential Election VOA 29 Oct 2018 -- Far-right congressman Jair Bolsonaro has won Brazil's presidential election, raising fears of a rollback of civil rights and free speech.
- Brazil's Top Presidential Candidate Falls Few Points Short of Outright Win VOA 08 Oct 2018 -- With more than 99 percent of votes counted, far-right Brazilian candidate Jair Bolsonaro won the first round of the presidential election with 46 percent of the ballots. The surprising win was not enough, however, to prevent him from avoiding a run-off election on October 28.
- 'Old forms of intolerance are being rekindled,' unilateralism re-emerging, Brazil warns at UN Assembly UN News 25 Sep 2018 -- The first Head of State to address the seventy-third general debate of the United Nations General Assembly, Michel Temer, President of Brazil, denounced the rising tide of isolationism, intolerance and unilateralism that was challenging international order.
- Brazil's Lula launches court appeal to save candidacy Press TV 06 Sep 2018 -- Brazil's jailed former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva has appealed a court ruling that bars him from running in the upcoming presidential election.
- Brazilian electoral court bars jailed Lula from presidential race Press TV 01 Sep 2018 -- Brazil's top electoral court has barred jailed former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva from running in the upcoming presidential election.
- Brazil Court Rules Barring Lula Da Silva From Presidential Election - Reports Sputnik 01 Sep 2018 -- The lawyers of the jailed former Brazilian president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva have said they would appeal the ruling by a 4-1 majority of the seven-member top electoral court to the country's Supreme Court, Reuters reported.
- Brazil sends troops to Venezuela border to restore calm amid influx of migrants Press TV 29 Aug 2018 -- Brazilian President Michel Temer has ordered the deployment of the military to the chaotic border with Venezuela, where migrants have been pouring in to escape an acute economic crisis in their home country.
- Brazil Reinforces Border Security Due to Influx of Migrants from Venezuela Sputnik 29 Aug 2018 -- Brazilian President Michel Temer ordered on Wednesday to deploy forces to the northernmost state of Roraima, located on border with Venezuela, due to the large influx of migrants from the crisis-torn country.
- Mattis Begins South America Trip with Stop in Brazil AFPS 13 Aug 2018 -- Defense Secretary James N. Mattis arrived in Brazil today for the first stop of a trip to assess the military-to-military relations between the United States and its South American partners.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis' meeting with Brazil Minister of Defense Silva e Luna, Chief of Joint Staff Adm. Ademir Sobrinho and the Brazilian service chiefs DoD 13 Aug 2018
- Readout of Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis' meeting with Brazil Minister of Foreign Affairs Aloysio Nunes DoD 13 Aug 2018
- Brazil's Lula nominated for president despite detention Press TV 05 Aug 2018 -- Brazil's Workers Party (PT) has officially nominated its founder, former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, for the upcoming presidential election, in a largely symbolic move since he remains in prison on a 12-year sentence on corruption charges.
- Brazilian Workers' Party Nominates Jailed Ex-Head Lula as Presidential Candidate Sputnik 04 Aug 2018 -- The congress of the Brazilian left-wing Workers' Party (PT) on Saturday announced that it would nominate former Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, currently serving a jail term on corruption charges, its candidate for the October presidential vote.
- Counter rulings on Lula's release from jail spark protests in Brazil Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- The chief justice of a Brazilian appeals court has overruled a verdict by a fellow judge that urged the release of former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.
- Judge Orders Brazil Ex-President Lula da Silva Freed - Reports Sputnik 08 Jul 2018 -- An appeals court judge, Rogerio Favreto, ruled Sunday that former Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, currently serving a 12-year jail term on corruption charges, must be released from prison, Excelsior reported Sunday.
- Brazilian F-5F Fighter Jet Crashes Near Air Force Base in Rio de Janeiro Sputnik 24 May 2018 -- The Brazilian Air Force said on Thursday that one of its F-5F fighter aircraft had crashed near the Santa Cruz air base, located in the Rio de Janeiro metropolitan area.
- Brazil charges 11 with attempting to recruit minors for Daesh terror attacks Press TV 18 May 2018 -- Brazilian prosecutors have announced charges against eleven people, who were accused of trying to establish a terror group inside the country and recruiting militants to send to Syria.
- Brazil's Lula says innocent but ready to turn himself in Press TV 07 Apr 2018 -- Brazil's former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva says he has been falsely accused of corruption but would comply with an arrest warrant and turn himself in to police.
- Former Brazilian President Da Silva Says He Will Surrender to Authorities VOA 07 Apr 2018 -- Former Brazilian president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, who has been ordered to serve a prison sentence, said Saturday he will turn himself in to authorities, one day after starting a standoff with police, who were ordered to arrest him.
- Lula ordered to turn himself in within 24 hours Press TV 06 Apr 2018 -- Brazil's former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva has been given an ultimatum to turn himself in to the authorities within 24 hours to start serving a 12-year prison sentence on charges of accepting bribes.
- Brazil to set up ministry of public security Press TV 17 Feb 2018 -- Brazilian President Michel Temer has announced a plan to set up a ministry in his government to deal with public security.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list