Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
November 2020 Belarus Special Weapons News
- Exiled Defectors From Belarus's Law Enforcement Are Now Holding Their Ex-Colleagues To Account RFE/RL 30 Nov 2020 -- Andrey Astapovich was a police investigator in Belarus when he publicly announced his defection from the service in August and exhorted his countrymen to "expel the dictator."
- Belarusian Pensioners Detained During Protest As Crackdowns Continue RFE/RL 30 Nov 2020 -- Belarusian activists say security forces have detained at least a dozen people as police broke up a protest march by pensioners demanding the resignation of authoritarian ruler Alyaksandr Lukashenka.
- More Than 300 Reported Detained In Belarus At Anti-Lukashenka Marches RFE/RL 29 Nov 2020 -- Authorities in Belarus have detained more than 300 protesters amid ongoing demonstrations aimed at ousting strongman Alyaksandr Lukashenka from the presidency.
- Belarus' Lukashenko vows to leave office after adoption of new constitution Press TV 27 Nov 2020 -- Belarus' President Alexander Lukashenko has vowed to leave office after a new constitution is adopted.
- Lukashenka Says He Will Leave Post When New Constitution Is Adopted RFE/RL 27 Nov 2020 -- Embattled strongman Alyaksandr Lukashenka, who has ruled Belarus for 26 years, has said he would leave his post after a new constitution had been adopted, Belarus's Belta news agency quoted him as saying.
- Lukashenko Says He Won't Stay on as Belarus's President Under New Constitution Sputnik 27 Nov 2020 -- Earlier, the Belarusian president said he would not rule out early presidential elections after referendum-approved changes to the country's basic law. Minsk announced plans to amend the constitution in the wake of large-scale protests which followed the 9 August election, which saw Alexander Lukashenko reelected for a sixth consecutive term.
- Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's statement and answers to media questions at a joint news conference with Foreign Minister of Belarus Vladimir Makei following the joint session of the collegiums of the Russian and Belarusian Foreign Ministries, November 26, 2020 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 26 Nov 2020
- Russia slams West for 'interfering' in Belarus internal affairs Press TV 26 Nov 2020 -- Russia has lambasted the Western countries for "interfering" in neighboring Belarus' domestic affairs, as anti-government rallies continue to plague the ex-Soviet country since President Alexander Lukashenko won a sixth term in office.
- Russia Accuses West Of 'Meddling' In Belarus RFE/RL 26 Nov 2020 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has accused the West of interfering in Belarus as he met Alyaksandr Lukashenka, who has faced months of protests over his disputed reelection.
- Minor Scuffles With Police As Elderly March In Support Of Belarus's Democracy Movement RFE/RL 24 Nov 2020 -- Several thousand pensioners in Belarus marched for an eighth-straight week in Minsk on November 23 to protest state violence against the country's pro-democracy movement.
- Belarus to Produce First Batch of Russian COVID-19 Vaccine This Year, Acting Health Minister Says Sputnik 22 Nov 2020 -- Belarus will produce Sputnik V, the first batch of the Russian vaccine against the coronavirus, before the end of the year, Acting Health Minister Dmitry Pinevich said on Sunday.
- Hundreds Detained Despite New Tack By Anti-Government Protesters in Belarus RFE/RL 22 Nov 2020 -- Rights groups say at least 350 protesters were detained in the capital and other cities on November 22 in the latest demonstrations challenging Alyaksandr Lukashenka's grip on power.
- Belarus to Impose Sanctions on High-Ranking EU Officials, Foreign Minister States Sputnik 22 Nov 2020 -- Minsk will slap sanctions on high-ranking officials of the European Union, Belarusian Foreign Minister Vladimir Makei said on Sunday.
- Hundreds Detained in Ongoing Belarus Protests Against Longtime President VOA 22 Nov 2020 -- More than 200 people have been arrested, a rights group said Sunday, as Belarusians continued to protest longtime President Alexander Lukashenko in Minsk.
- Belarusian Opposition Leader Kalesnikava's Detention Extended RFE/RL 20 Nov 2020 -- The Minsk city court has upheld the extension of the pretrial detention of Maryya Kalesnikava, an opposition leader who is facing national-security charges.
- New Belarusian Nuclear Plant Resumes Operations After Transformer Explosion RFE/RL 20 Nov 2020 -- Belarus's nuclear power plant, which was officially opened earlier this month, has resumed operations after suspending electricity production for several days.
- North Macedonia, Montenegro, Ukraine Joining EU Sanctions Against Belarus RFE/RL 20 Nov 2020 -- Seven European countries that are not members of the EU have aligned themselves with the sanctions imposed by the 27-member bloc on Belarus in response to a brutal crackdown on pro-democracy protests triggered by a disputed presidential election in August.
- EU To Expand Belarus Sanctions To Businesses Over 'Brutal' Crackdown RFE/RL 19 Nov 2020 -- European Union foreign ministers have agreed to expand sanctions on Belarus to include businesses in response to the "brutality of authorities" against weeks of pro-democracy protests triggered by a disputed presidential election in August.
- European Commission Recommends EU Scale Back Most Cooperation With Belarus RFE/RL 19 Nov 2020 -- The European Commission is recommending the EU scale back cooperation with Belarus, including in trade and security, but that support for civil society and environmental protection be maintained or even boosted.
- EU Top Diplomat Confirms EU Foreign Ministers Agreed to Develop New Sanctions on Belarus Sputnik 19 Nov 2020 -- EU foreign ministers have agreed to move forward with new sanctions against Belarus, EU foreign policy representative Josep Borrell said Thursday.
- Elderly in Belarus Demand Justice For Slain Anti-Government Protester RFE/RL 16 Nov 2020 -- Demonstrators have marched in the Belarusian capital to demand the resignation of Alyaksandr Lukashenka, a day after hundreds of people were detained by security forces in the latest crackdown on protest against a disputed presidential election.
- Belarusian Police Use Tear Gas, Stun Grenades, Detain Scores Of Anti-Government Protesters RFE/RL 15 Nov 2020 -- Belarusian police have detained scores of protesters who were demanding the resignation of Alyaksandr Lukashenka and a new presidential election following a disputed vote in August.
- More Than 1,000 Detained In Belarus As Protesters Face Tear Gas, Stun Grenades, Beatings RFE/RL 15 Nov 2020 --
Belarusian police detained more than 1,000 people on November 15 during protests across the country demanding the resignation of strongman Alyaksandr Lukashenka and a new presidential election following a disputed vote in August.
- UN: Widespread Human Rights Violations Continue Unchecked in Belarus VOA 15 Nov 2020 -- The U.N. human rights office says the government of Belarus continues to commit human rights violations with impunity against peaceful protesters three months after the country's disputed presidential elections.
- EU Threatens Sanctions As Belarusian Reportedly Beaten To Death By Security Forces RFE/RL 13 Nov 2020 -- The European Union has again condemned Belarus's violent crackdown on protesters since a disputed August election and has threatened to impose more sanctions on the country following the death of a 31-year-old Belarusian citizen who was reportedly badly beaten by masked security forces.
- Lukashenka Vows Not To Hand Over Power, Slams Protesters RFE/RL 13 Nov 2020 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has vowed not to hand over power to anyone amid ongoing mass protests demanding his resignation.
- U.S. Reiterates Call For Release Of Political Prisoners In Belarus RFE/RL 12 Nov 2020 -- The United States has condemned the continued detention of political prisoners in Belarus, saying that more than 100 are currently being held for participating in peaceful protests.
- Noted Belarusian Journalist Gets 15 Days In Jail For Covering Anti-Lukashenka Rally RFE/RL 12 Nov 2020 -- Noted Belarusian journalist Aleh Hruzdzilovich has been sentenced to 15 days in jail over covering one of the ongoing mass rallies demanding Alyaksandr Lukashenka's resignation.
- Political Prisoners in Belarus Should Be Released US Dept. of State 12 Nov 2020 -- The United States condemns the continued detention of political prisoners in Belarus.
- U.S. Condemns 'Arbitrary' Expulsion Of U.K. Diplomats From Belarus RFE/RL 11 Nov 2020 -- The United States has condemned the "harassment" and expulsion of two British diplomats from Belarus this week amid a deterioration in relations between Minsk and Western capitals over a disputed presidential election and authoritarian leader Alyaksandr Lukashenka's violent crackdown on postelection protests.
- Expulsion of UK Diplomats from Belarus US Dept. of State 11 Nov 2020 -- The United States expresses solidarity with the United Kingdom and condemns the harassment and expulsion of two UK diplomats from Belarus on November 9.
- Putin Says 'External Pressure' On Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova 'Unacceptable' RFE/RL 10 Nov 2020 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has said "attempts to exert foreign pressure" in Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, and Moldova are "unacceptable."
- UK lashes out at Belarus over expulsion of 'diplomats' Press TV 10 Nov 2020 -- The British foreign policy and defense establishment has hit out at Belarus after the government in Minsk expelled two British diplomats.
- Britain Expels Two Belarusian Diplomats In Tit-For-Tat Move RFE/RL 10 Nov 2020 -- Britain says it has expelled two Belarusian diplomats following the "unjustified expulsion" of two of its own diplomats by Minsk, amid a wave of protests across Belarus calling for the resignation of Alyaksandr Lukashenka following a presidential election in August that the West has refused to accept.
- Belarusian Nuclear Plant Stops Electricity Output Three Days After Opening Ceremony RFE/RL 10 Nov 2020 -- Belarus's only nuclear plant, near the Lithuanian border, has suspended electricity production just three days after authoritarian leader Alyaksandr Lukashenka officially opened it, boasting that his country "will become a nuclear power."
- UK Expels 2 Belarusian Diplomats as Mirror Response to Minsk Actions, Foreign Secretary Says Sputnik 10 Nov 2020 -- After incumbent President Alexander Lukashenko won the vote by a landslide in August, several countries, including the UK, the US, as well as the European Union, criticised the Belarusian authorities for alleged election fraud and violence against protesters.
- UK expels Belarusian diplomats in clear message to Lukashenko's regime UK FCDO 10 Nov 2020 -- Two Belarusian diplomats have been expelled from the UK today in response to the unjustified expulsion of two British diplomats from Belarus earlier this week.
- Over 1,000 People Detained In Latest Crackdown On Protests In Belarus RFE/RL 09 Nov 2020 -- More than 1,000 anti-government demonstrators were detained across Belarus on the 13th consecutive Sunday of protests calling for the resignation of Alyaksandr Lukashenka and a new presidential election following a disputed vote three months ago.
- Expulsion of two British diplomats from Belarus: Foreign Secretary statement UK FCDO 09 Nov 2020 -- Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab gave the following statement on the expulsion of two British diplomats from Belarus.
- Can Belarusians Count On More Support From Biden? RFE/RL 08 Nov 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has said little about Belarus since voters, angry over an election they say was stolen, took to the streets three months ago and were met with a violent crackdown by the forces of Alyaksandr Lukashenka's government. Joe Biden has called the man in power for over a quarter-century an illegitimate leader who "tortures his own people."
- Belarusian Activists Say More Than 800 Detained At Anti-Government Rallies RFE/RL 08 Nov 2020 -- Police in Belarus have detained hundreds of anti-government demonstrators who gathered for the 13th consecutive Sunday of protests to call for the resignation of Alyaksandr Lukashenka and a new presidential election following a disputed vote in August.
- Lukashenka Says Belarus To Become 'Nuclear Power' At Power Plant Opening RFE/RL 07 Nov 2020 -- Alyaksandr Lukashenka has officially opened the first and only nuclear power plant in Belarus, boasting the Eastern European country "will become a nuclear power."
- EU Blacklists Lukashenka, Son, 13 Others Over Crackdown In Belarus RFE/RL 06 Nov 2020 -- The European Union has imposed sanctions on Alyaksandr Lukashenka, his son Viktar, and 13 other high-ranking Belarusian officials held responsible for "violence, unjustified arrests, and falsification" of the presidential election nearly three months ago.
- Belarus Extends Pretrial Detention Of Opposition Figure Kalesnikava RFE/RL 06 Nov 2020 -- Belarusian authorities have prolonged the pretrial detention of Maryya Kalesnikava, an opposition figure who is facing national-security charges, for two months.
- OSCE Moscow Mechanism Report Details Widespread Rights Violations in Belarus US Dept. of State 05 Nov 2020 -- The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE)'s Moscow Mechanism report on Belarus released on November 5 describes sustained human rights violations and abuses committed on a massive scale and with impunity by the Belarusian authorities during the fraudulent August 9 election and its aftermath.
- Britain Calls For New Vote In Belarus After 'Damning' Report On Rights Abuses RFE/RL 05 Nov 2020 -- British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab is calling for new elections in Belarus after the publication of an independent report into the "falsified" presidential election in August and a brutal crackdown on postelection protests.
- UK calls for fresh presidential elections in Belarus UK FCDO 05 Nov 2020 -- The Foreign Secretary welcomed the publication of an independent report into electoral fraud and human rights violations committed by the Belarusian authorities.
- EU Agrees To Extend Sanctions To Lukashenka, 14 Others Over Crackdown In Belarus RFE/RL 04 Nov 2020 -- European Union member states have agreed to slap sanctions on Alyaksandr Lukashenka, along with 14 other Belarusian officials, in response to a brutal crackdown on postelection protests.
- Belarus Launches Nuclear Power Plant Despite 'Safety Issues' RFE/RL 03 Nov 2020 -- Belarus has begun operating its first nuclear power plant despite strong objections from Lithuania, which immediately cut off electricity imports from its neighbor.
- Belarus protesters defy police warnings, rally in Minsk again Press TV 02 Nov 2020 -- Belarus police have dispersed protesters who took to the streets in the capital Minsk on Sunday in continuation of opposition rallies that have been plaguing the country since President Alexander Lukashenko won a sixth term in office.
- Belarusian Pensioners Take To Minsk Streets After Hundreds Of Protesters Detained RFE/RL 02 Nov 2020 -- More than 1,000 demonstrators took part in a march in the Belarusian capital on November 2 to demand the resignation of Alyaksandr Lukashenka, a day after hundreds of people were detained by police during a similar protest against a disputed presidential election.
- OSCE Report To Show 'Massive' Human Rights Violations In Belarus RFE/RL 02 Nov 2020 -- The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe says there is "overwhelming evidence" that Belarus's August 9 presidential election results were falsified and that "systematic" human rights violations have been committed by the country's security forces in response to the peaceful demonstrations the vote sparked.
- Belarus Forces Fire Tear Gas, Beat Demonstrators In Minsk As Tens Of Thousands Take To Streets RFE/RL 01 Nov 2020 -- Security forces in the Belarusian capital have fired warning shots and begun detaining participants on November 1 in the latest anti-government protest fueled by a disputed presidential election 12 weeks ago.
- Belarus Partially Shuts Borders Over COVID-19 As Protest Crackdown Continues RFE/RL 01 Nov 2020 -- Belarus has partially closed all its land borders to foreigners in a move that prompted speculation the restrictions are politically motivated.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list