Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2020 Belarus Special Weapons News
- Potential Belarusian Presidential Challenger Remanded In Custody RFE/RL 30 Jun 2020 -- A court in Minsk has remanded in custody a potential opponent of Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka as an August 9 presidential election nears.
- Watchdog Denounces 'Full-Scale Purge' Ahead Of Belarusian Presidential Vote RFE/RL 26 Jun 2020 -- Amnesty International says the Belarusian authorities are carrying out a "full-scale purge of dissenting voices" as part of a crackdown on freedom of expression ahead of a presidential election set for August 9.
- As Pre-Election Crackdown Continues, Lukashenka Accuses Russia, Poland Of Meddling RFE/RL 25 Jun 2020 -- President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has accused Russia and Poland of "meddling" in the country's upcoming presidential election as he continues to crack down on potential challengers and the independent media.
- Sasha 3%? Belarusians Poke Fun At President's Slipping Support RFE/RL 25 Jun 2020 -- In power since 1994, Lukashenka is facing growing public unrest and skepticism largely due to his government's handling of the coronavirus pandemic.
- International Pressure Mounts On Minsk To Stop Press Crackdown Ahead Of Election RFE/RL 23 Jun 2020 -- Belarus has come under international pressure for a crackdown on media in which at least 14 journalists were detained and three convicted for their coverage of protests against President Alyaksandr Lukashenka last week.
- 'Slipper Revolution' Shakes Belarus VOA 22 Jun 2020 -- Half-a-year ago Alexander Lukashenko, who has ruled Belarus with an iron Soviet-style fist for a quarter of century, looked to be unassailable. But the former collective farm manager, whose aides and supporters like to dub him "father," is now being widely labeled a "cockroach" - and his opponents are vowing to "squash the pest" come August when he faces a presidential election.
- More Than 100 Opposition Supporters Detained In Belarus After Lukashenka Says He Stopped 'Revolution' RFE/RL 20 Jun 2020 -- Police in Belarus have detained more than 100 people at opposition rallies in the capital, Minsk, and elsewhere after President Alyaksandr Lukashenka announced his government had thwarted a "revolution" amid a widening crackdown on opposition leaders and activists, including the arrest of a potential presidential challenger.
- After Arresting Presidential Challenger, Belarus's Lukashenka Says 'Revolution' Thwarted RFE/RL 19 Jun 2020 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka claims to have thwarted an attempt to foment revolution in the Eastern European country, a day after his government ordered the arrest of a popular, would-be presidential candidate, prompting thousands to take to the streets to protest what they see as increased harassment of opposition leaders.
- Potential Lukashenka Challenger And His Son Detained In Minsk RFE/RL 18 Jun 2020 -- A potential challenger to Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka in an upcoming presidential election has been detained along with his son for questioning at the Committee For State Control (KDK).
- In Belarus, Pre-Vote Clampdown Spreads From Streets And Blogs To A Bank RFE/RL 16 Jun 2020 -- In past elections in Belarus, political battles have played out on the streets, with the government cracking down on protesters who were calling for free and fair votes or crying foul when the official results handed President Alyaksandr Lukashenka yet another term.
- Belarus Jails Several Opposition Figures In Widening Clampdown Ahead Of Election RFE/RL 15 Jun 2020 -- Prominent Belarusian opposition leader Mikalay Statkevich and several bloggers have been sentenced to 15 days in jail as part of a widening crackdown on dissent in the country ahead of elections.
- Text of a Letter from the President to the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President of the Senate The White House 11 Jun 2020
- Text of a Notice on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to Belarus The White House 11 Jun 2020
- Belarus's 'Slipper Revolution' Seeks To Stamp Out Lukashenka. Is He At Risk? RFE/RL 06 Jun 2020 -- The sight of thousands of people snaking along streets in towns and cities across Belarus to sign petitions for opposition would-be candidates has apparently spooked authoritarian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka, who has ruled since 1994 and is seeking a sixth term in an election on August 9.
- Lukashenka Names New PM Ahead Of Belarus Presidential Vote RFE/RL 04 Jun 2020 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has named the previous head of a state body overseeing the defense industry as prime minister, two months before a presidential election.
- Lukashenko Appoints Head of Military Industry Authority as New Prime Minister - Reports Sputnik 04 Jun 2020 -- Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has appointed Roman Golovchenko, the head of the State Authority for Military Industry, as the new prime minister, Belta news agency reported on Thursday.
- Lukashenka Dismisses Belarusian Government Ahead Of Presidential Vote RFE/RL 03 Jun 2020 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has dismissed his government, state media report, two months before a presidential election.
- Lukashenka Warns No 'Maidan' Following Mass Rallies Supporting Opposition RFE/RL 01 Jun 2020 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has openly warned that there will be no "Maidan" following mass rallies in Minsk and other towns and cities supporting potential opposition presidential candidates.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list