Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2018 Belarus Special Weapons News
- Spuds 'N Speculation: Lukashenka Gifts Potatoes To Putin Amid Integration Rumors RFE/RL 30 Dec 2018 -- Four bags of potatoes and a tub of lard. That's what Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka reportedly handed over to his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, as a Christmas present.
- Putin, Lukashenka Meet Amid Energy Dispute RFE/RL 29 Dec 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and his Belarusian counterpart, Alyaksandr Lukashenka, are holding talks in the Kremlin on an energy dispute that has hurt ties between the two allies.
- Remarks by Belarusian Leader Upstage Sensitive Kremlin Talks VOA 25 Dec 2018 -- Less than a day before arriving in Moscow to salvage frayed ties with his Russian counterpart, Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko said he no longer considers Russia a "brotherly nation."
- Putin Approves Military Doctrine of Union State - Order Sputnik 19 Dec 2018 -- The Union State of Russia and Belarus was established in 1996 with the intention of providing greater political, economic, and social integration between the two longstanding allies.
- Lukashenka Says Belarus Will Never Be Part Of Russia RFE/RL 14 Dec 2018 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka says his country will never be part of the Russian Federation.
- Prisoner executions in Belarus 'simply unacceptable', says UN rights body UN News 12 Dec 2018 -- The continued use of the death penalty in Belarus has been condemned by an authoritative UN rights body after three men were reportedly executed there, despite its requests for clemency.
- Lukashenka Says No Need For Russian Military Base In Belarus, Praises U.S. Role In Europe RFE/RL 06 Nov 2018 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has said that the U.S. "military and political role" in Europe is crucial to regional security and emphasized that he does not want a Russian military base in his country.
- Belarus 'Continues To Violate Fundamental Human Rights,' Amnesty Tells UN Committee RFE/RL 11 Sep 2018 -- Amnesty International says the Belarusian authorities have "continued to violate a number of fundamental human rights" over the past five years, including the rights to freedom of peaceful assembly, association, and expression, as well as the right to liberty and security of the person.
- Belarusian President Names New Premier, Reshuffles Government RFE/RL 18 Aug 2018 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has appointed a new prime minister and carried out a significant reshuffling of the government.
- Planned Belarusian Nuclear Plant Passes 'Stress Test,' Neighboring Lithuania Still Worried RFE/RL 03 Jul 2018 -- BRUSSELS -- The planned Belarusian nuclear power plant at Astravets has "generally met the requirements" of a European Union "stress test" designed to avert repeats of the Fukushima disaster, while the controversial issue of the site -- less than 50 kilometers from the Lithuanian capital -- was not addressed in the test.
- Lukashenka, Opponents Mark Belarusian Independence Day; Several Detained RFE/RL 03 Jul 2018 -- MINSK -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has addressed a military parade marking the country's Independence Day, saying his government is pursuing peaceful and constructive ties with Russia, China, and the West.
- Russia, Belarus, Iran, Turkmenistan Among 'Worst Human Traffickers' RFE/RL 28 Jun 2018 -- In a new report, the U.S. State Department says Belarus, Iran, Russia, and Turkmenistan remain among the worst offenders of human trafficking and forced labor.
- UN Rights Rapporteur Laments Lack Of Improvement In 'Kafkaesque' Belarus RFE/RL 25 Jun 2018 -- Belarusians continue to live under severe restrictions on freedom of assembly and other rights after nearly a quarter-century under President Alyaksandr Lukashenka, UN special rapporteur Miklos Haraszti has told RFE/RL.
- Belarus Assembly Passes Controversial 'Fake News' Media Legislation RFE/RL 14 Jun 2018 -- Belarussian lawmakers have passed controversial amendments to the country's media laws despite claims by domestic and international groups that the move risks leading to further censorship of the press.
- Belarusian Leader Has Harsh Words For Russia, West -- And Warning For Moscow RFE/RL 24 Apr 2018 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has used an annual address to criticize both the West and Russia, accusing Western countries of "inciting trade wars" and charging that Moscow has blocked Belarusian goods from the Russian market.
- Serbia Gets Four MiG-29 Aircraft From Belarus - Defense Minister Sputnik 22 Apr 2018 -- Belarus has supplied Serbia with four MiG-29 fighter jets as part of defense industry assistance, Serbian Defense Minister Aleksandar Vulin said Sunday.
- Belarus Moves To Tighten Control Over Online News, Social Media RFE/RL 19 Apr 2018 -- The lower house of the Belarusian parliament has approved in its first reading draft amendments to the country's media law that would tighten control over online news websites and social-media networks.
- Lukashenka Hints At Shift In Belarusian Power Structure, But Not Yet RFE/RL 10 Apr 2018 -- Authoritarian leader Alyaksandr Lukashenka has dangled the prospect of decreasing the ample powers of the president in Belarus, but suggested that such a change should not be expected in the near future.
- EU Lawmakers Slam Brussels Over Belarus Policy RFE/RL 22 Mar 2018 -- Thirty-five members of the European Parliament have criticized the European Union's position toward Belarus in a letter, saying that the bloc's relationship with Minsk is centered on economic cooperation, trade, and assistance instead of being focused on human rights, democracy, and the rule of law.
- EU Extends Belarus Arms Ban, With An Exception RFE/RL 14 Feb 2018 -- European Union diplomats have decided to extend the EU arms embargo on Belarus by another year but to make an exception for small-caliber sport guns.
- Belarus Puts Ukrainian Journalist On Trial For Espionage RFE/RL 12 Feb 2018 -- The Supreme Court of Belarus says it has started the trial of a Ukrainian journalist charged with espionage.
- Hungary Wants Exemptions To EU Arms Embargo On Belarus: Sources RFE/RL 30 Jan 2018 -- Hungary is seeking the introduction of more exemptions to the European Union's arms embargo on Belarus, according to several sources familiar with the matter.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list