Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2017 Belarus Special Weapons News
- Ukraine Expels Belarusian Diplomat Amid Spy Scandal RFE/RL 21 Nov 2017 -- Ukraine has expelled a Belarusian diplomat amid a spy scandal between the two neighboring countries.
- Belarusian KGB Says It's Holding Ukrainian Journalist, Claims He's A Spy RFE/RL 20 Nov 2017 -- The Belarusian Committee for State Security (KGB) says it has arrested a Ukrainian journalist on suspicion of espionage, accusing him of being a military intelligence agent - a claim immediately rejected by Ukraine.
- End Of Cheap Oil Means Hard Times For Belarusian Refinery RFE/RL 06 Nov 2017 -- Aleh Viktaravich says the days of earning a decent wage at the Naftan oil refinery in Navapolatsk, some 240 kilometers north of the Belarusian capital, are long gone.
- 'Quickly Covered Up': Suspicious Suicides Focus Spotlight On Hazing In Belarusian Army RFE/RL 18 Oct 2017 -- Alyaksandr Korzhych was sent to the Pechy military training base northeast of Minsk just months after the 21-year-old was conscripted into the Belarusian armed forces.
- EU 'Ready To Welcome' Lukashenka To Upcoming Eastern Partnership Summit RFE/RL 09 Oct 2017 -- EU sources say the bloc is ready to welcome Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka to its Eastern Partnership (EaP) summit next month.
- Belarus Proceeding With Russian-Built Nuclear Plant Despite Accidents, Quake Worries, And Neighbors' Objections RFE/RL 21 Sep 2017 -- With the construction of Belarus's controversial Astravets nuclear power plant hurtling forward, the dissonance between Minsk and Vilnius over the project could not be greater.
- Lukashenka Says Russian Troops Will Go Home After Zapad Drills RFE/RL 20 Sep 2017 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka observed joint military exercises with Russia on their final day and said that all Russian troops in his country for the Zapad 2017 drills would go home after their conclusion.
- Russia's Putin attends Zapad-2017 joint drills with Belarus Press TV 18 Sep 2017 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has attended joint drills, demonstrating Moscow's military might, with Belarus near Russia's western border with Estonia.
- Pentagon 'Closely' Watching Massive Russia-Belarus Zapad-2017 War Games Sputnik 15 Sep 2017 -- Despite NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg statements, saying that the Russia-Belarus joint drills aren't considered to be a threat by the alliance, the Pentagon has said that it is "closely watching" the war games anyway.
- Russia launches military drills with Belarus, causing alarm Press TV 14 Sep 2017 -- Russia is set to launch major joint military drills with Belarus on Thursday, amid continuing tensions between Moscow and NATO.
- Kremlin Considers 'Wave of Hysteria' Over Russia-Belarus Drills 'Provocation' Sputnik 14 Sep 2017 -- The Kremlin has responded to several eastern NATO member-states claims concerning the Russia-Belarus planned drills, which they consider to be posing a "threat" to their security despite the fact that the alliance's military observers had been invited to the exercise.
- Zapad 2017 Joint Strategic Drills Start in Russia, Belarus - Russian MoD Sputnik 14 Sep 2017 -- The Zapad 2017 joint strategic military exercise involving 12,700 servicemen from Russia and Belarus has begun.
- Russia, Belarus Kick Off Military Exercises Amid Tensions With West RFE/RL 14 Sep 2017 -- Russia and neighboring Belarus have begun a joint military exercise near NATO's eastern flank that has fanned already deep tensions between Moscow and the West.
- Belarus to Manufacture Defense Equipment under Make in India Program Sputnik 13 Sep 2017 -- India would immensely benefit from military cooperation with Belarus as it would ensure transfer of high-end Belarusian technology for upgrading Soviet-era tanks and military equipment.
- Amid Western Concerns, Belarus Says Zapad Drills Will Comply With International Agreements RFE/RL 13 Sep 2017 -- Belarus says its upcoming military maneuvers with Russia won't violate international agreements, amid Western concerns about the war games.
- Latvia Only NATO State to Send Extra Inspection to Zapad-2017 Drills Sputnik 12 Sep 2017 -- The Latvian defense minister said Tuesday that Latvia would be the only NATO state to send an additional inspection mission to observe the joint Russia-Belarus Zapad-2017 drills.
- Belarus To Battle Fake State 'Veishnoria' In Zapad Exercise RFE/RL 11 Sep 2017 -- It has a foreign ministry, flag, and even briefly had its history outlined on Wikipedia. Russia accuses it of stirring up trouble in Belarus.
- Belarus Invites Observers To Monitor 'Zapad 2017' Exercises, But NATO Critical RFE/RL 22 Aug 2017 -- The Belarusian Defense Ministry has invited observers from several countries to the Zapad 2017 joint Belarusian-Russian military exercise that takes place September 14-20 in Belarus, but NATO has said such efforts "fall short."
- Belarus Plans Future Purchases of Russia's Iskander Missile Systems - Ambassador Sputnik 26 Jun 2017 -- Belarus could in the future consider buying Russia's Iskander missile systems, Belarusian Ambassador to Moscow Igor Petrishenko told Sputnik.
- Belarus-Russia Drills to Continue 'No Matter How Much West Pushes' Sputnik 14 Jun 2017 -- Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has confirmed that his country will take part in the Zapad-2017 joint drills with Russia this fall, no matter how much external pressure is brought to bear against Minsk.
- Get Your Stealth On: Serbia Looks to Russia, Belarus to Buy S-300 AA System Sputnik 17 Apr 2017 -- Serbia is looking to purchase two divisions of Russian S-300 anti-air systems, according to Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic. Belgrade may make the buy from either Russia or from Belarus.
- Serbia in talks with Russia, Belarus over S-300 purchase Press TV 16 Apr 2017 -- Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic says Belgrade has entered talks with Russia and Belarus over the purchase of S-300 surface-to-air missile systems.
- Lithuania Concerned Over Russian-Belarusian Drills, Cites Alleged Threat Sputnik 07 Apr 2017 -- Lithuanian Prime Minister Saulius Skvernelis on Friday reiterated his concerns over the joint Russian-Belarusian Zapad-2017 military exercises, specifically those regarding security, during his meeting with Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko.
- U.S. Senators Urge Lukashenka To Release Protesters, Warn Of Russia Risks RFE/RL 05 Apr 2017 -- A bipartisan group of U.S. senators has sent a letter to Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka expressing "great concern" over a crackdown on citizens protesting against a controversial tax on the unemployed and urged the "immediate" release of those detained.
- Lukashenka Says He Hopes Accord With Russia Can 'Preserve The Stability' RFE/RL 03 Apr 2017 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka says he hopes the settlement of an energy dispute with Russia can ease tensions with Moscow and bring stability to his own country, which has been hit by a wave of street demonstrations.
- Russia, Belarus to Carry Out Observation Flight Over Poland by April 7 Sputnik 03 Apr 2017 -- Russian and Belorusian experts will carry out an observation flight on April 3 – 7 over the territory of Poland, Sergei Ryzhkov, head of the Russian Defense Ministry's Nuclear Risk Reduction Center, said.
- Caught In Protest Dragnet, Belarusians Accuse Police Of Brutality, Lies RFE/RL 29 Mar 2017 -- When Pavlo Belavus and his pregnant wife went out for groceries in central Minsk on March 26, he expected it would be a quick trip. Minutes later, they were herded into a police van. He was taken away and charged with participating in an unlawful protest.
- Belarus: UN expert decries Government's return to mass violence against peaceful protestors UN News 28 Mar 2017 -- A United Nations-appointed independent expert on the human rights situation in Belarus has expressed dismay over the Government's return to the policy of violent mass repression against peaceful demonstrators, non-governmental organizations, journalists and political opponents, and is calling on the authorities there to stop harassment and violence.
- Missing Belarusian Opposition Leader Freed After Three-Day Detention RFE/RL 27 Mar 2017 -- Three days after he went missing ahead of a large antigovernment rally, Belarusian opposition leader Mikalay Statkevich has been released from what he said was a KGB jail and returned home.
- Heavy Riot Police Presence In Minsk Following Crackdown RFE/RL 25 Mar 2017 -- Riot police deployed in force in the Belarusian capital, preventing protesters from holding a rally one day after a violent crackdown that activists said saw hundreds of people arrested and many beaten.
- Riot Police Arrest Hundreds At Minsk Protest, Beating Many RFE/RL 25 Mar 2017 -- Riot police in Minsk have arrested hundreds of people, beating many of them, during a violent crackdown on a protest against Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka's government.
- Belarus Police Arrest Hundreds Defying Protest Ban VOA 25 Mar 2017 -- Riot police in Belarus launched a massive crackdown Saturday on protesters trying to hold a banned march in Minsk. Hundreds were reported arrested, and a human rights leader said many of the detainees had been beaten by police and needed medical attention.
- With 'Nothing Left To Lose,' Belarus 'Social Parasites' Make A Stand RFE/RL 24 Mar 2017
- Belarus KGB Detains Suspects As State Pushes 'Armed Provocateurs' Claim RFE/RL 23 Mar 2017 -- State television reports in Belarus say the country's security agency, the KGB, has detained an unspecified number of people suspected of plotting mass disorder.
- Belarus Protest Leaders Detained As Hundreds Rally Against 'Parasite Tax' RFE/RL 19 Mar 2017 -- Authorities in Belarus on March 19 detained at least three organizers of protests against a controversial tax on the unemployed, as hundreds took to the streets in the latest in a series of demonstrations against the levy in the tightly controlled former Soviet republic.
- U.S. Concerned By Detentions In Belarus, Urges Respect For Freedoms RFE/RL 14 Mar 2017 -- The United States and the United Nations have voiced concern about what human rights groups say is the Belarusian government's biggest crackdown on protesters in years.
- Belarus Criticized For Largest Crackdown On Protesters In Years RFE/RL 13 Mar 2017 -- The crackdown over the weekend came at demonstrations across the country against a government-backed tax on the unemployed.
- Belarus detains opposition leaders over tax protests Press TV 12 Mar 2017 -- Belarus has detained several opposition leaders after people took to the streets to protest a new government measure for imposing tax on "freeloaders."
- Belarusian Police Detain More Opposition Leaders, Journalists Amid Latest Tax Protests RFE/RL 12 Mar 2017 -- Police have detained a group of opposition leaders and at least three journalists during the latest in a series of charged protests over a controversial government-backed unemployment tax.
- Hundreds Protest In Belarus City Against Tax On Jobless RFE/RL 11 Mar 2017 -- Several hundred people have staged a protest in the southwestern Belarusian city of Pinsk, calling for the scrapping of a law imposing a tax on jobless people.
- Belarusian President Suspends Collection Of 'Parasite' Tax On Jobless People RFE/RL 09 Mar 2017 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has announced that collection of a tax on unemployed people will be suspended for one year, stepping back from a policy that has prompted widespread protests in the tightly controlled former Soviet republic.
- Secure Sky: Belarus to Purchase Russian Sukhoi Su-30SM Jet Fighters in 2017 Sputnik 04 Feb 2017 -- Minsk plans to purchase a number of Russian Sukhoi Su-30SM (Flanker C) multirole fighter jets this year, Belarusian Deputy Minister of Defense for Armament, Chief of Armament Igor Lotenkov said on Saturday.
- Lukashenka Accuses Russia Of 'Grabbing Belarus By The Throat' RFE/RL 03 Feb 2017 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has lashed out at Russia, accusing his powerful neighbor of violating treaties and using its role as an energy supplier to "grab us by the throat."
- Serbia to Get 8 MiG-29 Fighters, 2 Buk Missile Systems From Belarus Sputnik 28 Jan 2017 -- Serbia will get eight Mikoyan MiG-29 twin-engine fighters and two Buk missile systems as a gift from Belarus, Serbian Defense Minister Zoran Dordevic told the Politika Serbian daily newspaper.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list