Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2016 Belarus Special Weapons News
- Belarus' Post-Soviet Economy: Tractors to World of Tanks VOA 26 Dec 2016 -- Throughout the former Soviet Union, Belarus was famous for making tractors at the state-run Minsk Tractor Works, which this year celebrated its 70th anniversary.
- Russia Rejects Belarus Advance Gas Payment Amid Debt Row - Deputy PM Sputnik 17 Dec 2016 -- Russia still believes that Belarus will pay its gas debts to Russia, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Arkady Dvorkovich said Saturday.
- Belarus, Poland Sign Military Cooperation Plan for 2017 Sputnik 24 Nov 2016 -- Belarus and Poland signed on Thursday a plan of bilateral military cooperation for 2017, the Belarusian Defense Ministry said in a statement.
- Serbian military hosts drills with Russian, Belarusian forces Press TV 07 Nov 2016 -- Serbia is hosting joint military drills with Russian and Belarusian armed forces with the aim of broadening cooperation in anti-terror missions across borders.
- Slavic Brotherhood: Russian, Belarusian, Serbian Forces Seize Airport in Drills Sputnik 07 Nov 2016 -- Russian, Belarusian and Serbian special units successfully carried out an exercise the objective of which was to retake control of a seized airport as part of the Slavic Brotherhood-2016 joint drills, head of the Russian contingent participating in the drills Maj. Gen. Oleg Polguev said.
- NATO Builds Up Capabilities on Russian, Belarusian Borders Sputnik 02 Nov 2016 -- Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said that the US and other NATO members are actively building up their offensive potential on the western borders of Russia and Belarus.
- Belarus Signs Over 20 Arms Delivery, Upgrade Deals With Russia in 2016 Sputnik 02 Nov 2016 -- Minsk has inked over 20 contracts in the supply and upgrades of Russian weapons in 2016.
- Violations of freedom of expression and the media continue in Belarus - UN rights expert UN News 28 Oct 2016 -- Human rights violations are growing worse in Belarus, according to a new report by the UN Special Rapporteur on the human rights situation in the country, Miklós Haraszti, which he presented to the UN General Assembly today.
- Belarus, Russia Reach Deal On Energy Prices, Debts RFE/RL 10 Oct 2016 -- Belarus and Russia have reached a deal resolving their differences on several natural gas and oil issues.
- Russia, Belarus Settle Gas Dispute - Belarusian President Sputnik 10 Oct 2016 -- Alexander Lukashenko said that Belarus and Russia have resolved their oil and gas dispute.
- Belarus: Smooth-looking polls 'lipstick measures on face of violations,' says UN rights expert UN News 15 Sep 2016 -- A United Nations expert on the human rights situation in Belarus said today that Sunday's parliamentary elections were no different from all the previous ones because citizens' right to a free and fair election continued to be abused in the grip of entrenched repressive laws and institutions.
- Meager Opposition Gains Don't Satisfy Belarus's Opposition - Or Erase Vote Doubts RFE/RL 12 Sep 2016 -- For the first time in 20 years, official election results in Belarus show that candidates who are not allies of President Alyaksandr Lukashenka have won seats in parliament - two seats out of 110, to be exact.
- Belarus' Parliamentary Election More Open, but Still Marred by 'Irregularities' VOA 12 Sep 2016 -- Voters in Belarus went to the polls Sunday in a legislative election marred by the kind of irregularities that have characterized previous ballots in the former Soviet state.
- Germany, Romania to Fly Mission Over Russia, Belarus Sputnik 12 Sep 2016 -- German and Romanian inspectors will conduct an aerial surveillance flight over Russia and Belarus.
- OSCE Observer Mission Chief Says Belarus Elections Were 'In No Way Free And Fair' RFE/RL 12 Sep 2016 -- The chief of the short-term OSCE observer mission in Belarus says the September 11 parliamentary elections were "in no way free and fair."
- Belarus Regards NATO Troops Deployment Near its Borders as Security Challenge Sputnik 26 Aug 2016 -- Belarus regards the deployment of additional NATO troops near the country's borders as a potential security challenge, Foreign Minister Vladimir Makei said Friday.
- Belarusian Nuclear Mishap Shows Soviet-Like Secrecy Still Rules RFE/RL 03 Aug 2016 -- Thirty years after the Chernobyl nuclear accident in neighboring Ukraine, Belarus, which saw a quarter of its territory contaminated in the world's worst nuclear accident, is building its first energy plant powered by the atom.
- 'Permission-based' public life regime has nearly paralyzed civic freedoms in Belarus - UN expert UN News 21 Jun 2016 -- A senior United Nations expert on human rights in Belarus warned today that several generations have grown up in the country "with no experience of what the words 'pluralism,' 'labour rights,' 'free enterprise,' 'free artistic creation' or 'free media' mean in reality."
- Lukashenka Says New Missile System 'Successfully' Tested In Belarus RFE/RL 16 Jun 2016 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka says his country has "successfully" tested a new missile system.
- Polonez: Belarus Successfully Test-Fires New Multiple Rocket Launch System Sputnik 16 Jun 2016 -- The Belarusian Polonez multiple launch rocket system has successfully passed tests, President Alexander Lukashenko said.
- Good Choice! Belarus Plans to Buy Russian Su-30SM Fighter Jets Sputnik 15 Jun 2016 -- Minsk plans to purchase Russian Su-30SM-type multirole fighters, Belarusian Defense Minister Andrei Ravkov said Wednesday.
- Belarus Holds Military Exercises in Grodno Region Involving 2,100 People Sputnik 13 Jun 2016 -- More than 2,000 servicemen and over 70 units of equipment will take part in the joint drills in Belarus.
- Russian, Belarusian FMs Criticize U.S. Missile-Defense Plans RFE/RL 16 May 2016 -- Belarusian Foreign Minister Uladzimer Makey says Belarus and Russia are concerned about the establishment of U.S. missile-defense systems in Eastern Europe.
- Belarus: execution shows 'callous disdain' for international human rights law - UN experts UN News 13 May 2016 -- United Nations human rights experts today condemned Belarus' continued use of the death penalty following reports that a man whose complaint was before the UN Human Rights Committee (HRC) had been executed, despite a specific request from the Committee for a stay of execution.
- Belarus Criminalizes Participation In Military Operations Abroad RFE/RL 22 Apr 2016 -- Belarusian authorities published on April 22 new legislation criminalizing participation in any military activities abroad.
- Belarus Turns its Back on Military Allies Despite Armenian Objections Sputnik 19 Apr 2016 -- The country's parliament unveiled a new military doctrine that would see Belarus shirk on its military obligations to the Collective Security Treaty Organization.
- What's Behind Russian-Belarusian Joint Air Defense System Sputnik 10 Apr 2016 -- Russia and Belarus have completed the formation of their joint air defense system in the Eastern European region of collective security, the deputy commander of the Russian Aerospace Forces said earlier this week.
- Belarus Develops New 'Color Revolution-Crushing' Military Doctrine Sputnik 09 Apr 2016 -- Despite the recent warming in relations between Belarus and the West, President Alexander Lukashenko remains wary of any attempts to overthrow his government via a Western-sponsored color revolution. Subsequently, his government has strengthened the relevant security architecture in a new military doctrine.
- Issue of Creating Russian Airbase in Belarus Currently Closed Sputnik 08 Apr 2016 -- The deployment of a Russian airbase in Belarus is not on the agenda, but the prospect looms large, Belarusian Foreign Minister Vladimir Makei said Friday.
- Belarus to Receive 4 Russian Yak-130 Jets, S-300 Battalion in 2016 Sputnik 06 Apr 2016 -- Commander of the Belarusian Air Force Maj. Gen. said that Belarus will receive the fourth and final battalion of S-300 air defense systems as well as another four Yak-130 combat trainers in 2016.
- Russia, Belarus Finalize Creation of Unified Air Defense Network Sputnik 06 Apr 2016 -- Russia and Belarus have finished setting up a unified air defense network in the East-European region of collective security, a deputy commander of the Russian Aerospace Forces said Wednesday.
- Lithuanian Sentenced To Prison As Spy For Belarus RFE/RL 04 Mar 2016 -- A Lithuanian court has jailed a former military medical officer after finding him guilty of spying for neighboring Belarus.
- EU ends sanctions against Belarus president, individuals Press TV 25 Feb 2016 -- The European Union has decided to lift nearly all of its sanctions against Belarus, saying Minsk has managed to improve its human rights record.
- EU Lifts Most Sanctions On Belarus RFE/RL 15 Feb 2016 -- EU foreign ministers have voted to abandon a handful of sanctions against Belarus over its rights and democracy record and adopted an EU Council text praising mutual cooperation, furthering a thaw that critics fear will let the authoritarian regime in Minsk off the hook too quickly.
- Minsk Welcomes EU Decision to Partially Lift Sanctions From Belarus Sputnik 15 Feb 2016 -- Minsk welcomes the decision by the European Union to cancel a vast portion of anti-Belarus sanctions, and is ready to continue bilateral dialogue, a ministry's spokesman said in a statement Monday.
- EU Set To Drop Most Sanctions On Belarus For Good RFE/RL 12 Feb 2016 -- EU foreign ministers are poised to allow most of the bloc's sanctions against Belarus to expire when they meet next week in Brussels, diplomatic sources have told RFE/RL, but an arms embargo will apparently remain in place.
- 'Dismal' human rights situation in Belarus unchanged after election, UN expert warns UN News 09 Feb 2016 -- The United Nations-appointed monitor of the human rights situation in Belarus warned today that opposition leaders, activists, journalists, and many other citizens have been subjected to harassment, administrative procedures and fines since the country's October presidential election.
- Belarus Concludes Preliminary Purchase Agreement for Russian Su-30 Fighters Sputnik 04 Feb 2016 -- Russia-made Sukhoi Su-30 multirole fighters will replace outdated Mikoyan MiG-29 fighters in the Belarusian Air Froces, according to Belarus deputy defense minister.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list