Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2015 Belarus Special Weapons News
- Issue of Russian Airbase in Belarus Undecided, May Not Be Discussed Anymore Sputnik 18 Dec 2015 -- Belarusian Defense Minister said that issue of establishing a Russian airbase in Belarus has not been decided yet and may no longer be discussed.
- UN rights expert urges 'broad reform' of oppressive media governance in Belarus UN News 06 Nov 2015 -- In a report to the General Assembly, the United Nations Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Belarus called on the country to start reforming its laws and practices that have for two decades stifled its citizens' right to freedom of expression.
- Lithuanian Sentenced To Prison For Spying For Belarus RFE/RL 05 Nov 2015 -- A Lithuanian court has jailed a former employee of the country's air traffic control service after finding him guilty of spying for neighboring Belarus.
- EU Suspends Most Belarus Sanctions For Four Months RFE/RL 29 Oct 2015 -- The European Union has cited 'improving relations' in deciding to formally suspend most sanctions against Belarus for four months.
- Belarus Plans to Buy Russian Su-30SM Fighter Jets After 2020 Sputnik 20 Oct 2015 -- The new planes will replace the MiG-29 jet fighters designed in the Soviet Union.
- Belarus election 'neither free nor fair,' says UN human rights expert UN News 13 Oct 2015 -- The United Nations Special Rapporteur on human rights in Belarus, Miklós Haraszti, today said that while the Presidential polls conducted in the country this past Sunday were not met with violence as in previous cases, no progress was made in serving the Belarusians' right to free and fair election.
- Lukashenko becomes Belarus president for fifth term Press TV 12 Oct 2015 -- Alexander Lukashenko, the incumbent Belarusian president, has won a fifth term as president of his Eastern European country with a sweeping victory over his three rivals.
- EU Moves Toward Temporarily Lifting Belarus Sanctions RFE/RL 12 Oct 2015 -- The European Union has taken a step toward temporarily suspending sanctions against Belarus despite concerns about the October 11 presidential election.
- EU Suspends Sanctions Against Belarus for 4 Months, Ready to Re-impose Them Sputnik 12 Oct 2015 -- The European Union has decided to suspend sanctions against Belarus for four months, but is ready to re-impose them at any time if needed, French Minister of state for European affairs Harlem Desir said Monday.
- Belarusian Election Ends; Polls Show Lukashenka Landslide RFE/RL 10 Oct 2015 -- Polls have closed in the October 11 presidential election in Belarus that appears all but certain to secure the reelection of longtime President Alyaksandr Lukashenka to a new five-year term.
- Lukashenka's Longevity Recipe: Belarus Ruler Uses Force, Guile To Maintain Grip RFE/RL 09 Oct 2015 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka may be despised in the West and tolerated through gritted teeth by Russia, but his authoritarian regime seems safe at home as he heads into an October 11 presidential election.
- Lukashenka Says Belarus Doesn't Need Russian Base RFE/RL 06 Oct 2015 -- President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has said he is not aware of plans to establish a Russian military air base in Belarus.
- Amid Lackluster Presidential Race, Boycott Campaign Brings Out Big Crowd In Belarus RFE/RL 24 Sep 2015 -- It's been a humdrum presidential election campaign in Belarus. Serious contenders have been sidelined and authoritarian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka, in office for more than two decades, is expected to easily secure a fifth term.
- Putin Instructs Ministers to Ink Deal to Establish Air Base in Belarus Sputnik 19 Sep 2015 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has authorized his ministers to sign an agreement providing for the establishment of a new Russian airbase in Belarus.
- Lukashenka Vows Aggressors Against Belarus Will 'Die By The Sword' RFE/RL 04 Aug 2015 -- Belarus is the only honest, decent, and reliable ally Russia has got today.'
- Belarus Warns Against 'Clattering Arms' at Its Borders Sputnik 01 Jul 2015 -- Alexander Lukashenko sent a message to countries he called 'our ill-wishers, if they are still around,' against increasing military activities near the country's borders.
- Military cooperation with Russia important for Belarusian security - defense minister TASS 17 Jun 2015 -- Russian-Belarusian military cooperation on bilateral and multilateral bases is 'an important element of ensuring security' of Belarus, the country's Defense Minister Gen. Lt. Andrey Ravkov told TASS in an exclusive interview on Wednesday.
- Belarus in talks with Russia on supplies of S-400 missile systems TASS 17 Jun 2015 -- Four Russian S-300 missile systems will be stationed by the end of this year in Belarus, while the issue of delivering S-400 missile systems to Belarus from Russia is being discussed, Belarusian Defense Minister Gen. Lt. Andrey Ravkov told TASS in an exclusive interview on Wednesday.
- Issue of Russian air base in Belarus considered in political dimension - defense minister TASS 17 Jun 2015 -- The issue of stationing a Russian aviation base in Belarus is being considered in the political dimension, Belarusian Defense Minister Gen. Lt. Andrey Ravkov told TASS in an exclusive interview on Wednesday.
- Belarus holds regional defence drills on border with Ukraine TASS 15 Jun 2015 -- Command and staff exercises of the Gomel Region defence forces have started in southern Belarus on the border with Ukraine, the Belarusian Defence Ministry said on Monday.
- Belarus Tests Secretive Rocket Launcher System in China Sputnik 16 Jun 2015 -- Belarus tested its new Polonez rocket launcher system in China, which has a considerably greater range than Soviet-made Smerch systems and could indicate a secretive development between the two countries which lasted over a decade.
- Belarusian multiple launch rocket system tested in China - official TASS 16 Jun 2015 -- Belarusian multiple launch rocket system has been successfully tested in China, Sergey Gurulyov, the head of the Belarusian State Military Industrial Committee, reported to Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko on Tuesday.
- Russian manufacturer signs contract for supply of 12 Mi-8MTV-5 copters to Belarus TASS 16 Jun 2015 -- The Helicopters of Russia has concluded a contract with the Defense Ministry of Belarus for the supply of twelve Mi-8MTV-5 military transport helicopters in 2016-2017, the holding company's CEO Alexander Mikheyev has told the media.
- Wary of NATO, Belarus Begins Ukraine Border Drills Sputnik 15 Jun 2015 -- Belarus began military drills on its border with Ukraine on Monday, as the country becomes increasingly wary of instability and NATO activity at its borders.
- Belarus Stages Military Drills at Ukrainian Border, Tightens Border Control Sputnik 07 Jun 2015 -- Belarus is holding a military exercise not far from its border with Ukraine, which is aimed at tightening border controls and improving its territorial defense.
- Russia, Belarus Join Hands on Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missile System Sputnik 19 May 2015 -- Russia and Belarus will jointly develop a new short-range anti-aircraft missile complex, it was announced on Tuesday.
- Belarusian army to get new Polonez multiple rocket launch systems in 2016 TASS 13 May 2015 -- Belarus' new multiple rocket launch systems Polonez are planned to be delivered to the country's troops in 2016, Belarusian Defense Minister Andrey Ravkov told journalists on Wednesday.
- Beijing Lends Billions To Minsk RFE/RL 11 May 2015 -- China has agreed to lend about $7 billion to Belarus through credit lines set to open this month.
- Ukraine Crisis Opens Up Wiggle Room For Lukashenka RFE/RL 03 May 2015 -- The May 9 Victory Day parade in Moscow to mark the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II in Europe will be a big, international prestige moment for Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- Lukashenka Calls Belarus 'Island Of Stability And Order' RFE/RL 29 Apr 2015 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka says his country 'remains an island of stability and order' even as it 'smells of war again in Europe.'
- Lukashenka Says Belarus Supports Georgia's Territorial Integrity RFE/RL 23 Apr 2015 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka says his country supports the territorial integrity of Georgia, making clear he does not recognize the Russian-backed separatist regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia as independent states.
- Russian, Belarusian Paratroopers Begin Drills in Belarus Sputnik 13 Apr 2015 -- Belarusian and Russian paratroopers start Monday drills in Belarus aimed at practicing interoperability in joint tactical operations, the Belarusian Defense Ministry said.
- Russian, Belarusian Troops Take Part in Joint Military Exercises Sputnik 08 Apr 2015 -- The Belarusian military is holding joint exercises in operational and strategic command with the Russian Western Military District, the Belarusian Defense Ministry announced Wednesday.
- Russia's new military doctrine requires coordination with Belarus - official TASS 02 Apr 2015 -- Russia's cooperation with Belarus in the military sphere may have to be adjusted in the wake of the adoption of Russia's new military doctrine, the state secretary of the Union State of Russia and Belarus, Grigory Rapota, told the media in Minsk on Thursday.
- Lukashenka Says Belarus Will Never Be Part Of Russia RFE/RL 02 Apr 2015 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka says his country will never be part of Russia, despite what he portrayed as the imperialist designs of politicians in the former Soviet republic's giant eastern neighbor.
- Move Over, Geneva, Minsk Is The World's New Diplomatic Capital RFE/RL 10 Mar 2015 -- Now, the capital of Belarus has become the latest city whose claim to fame may remain forever tied to a much-discussed act of diplomacy: the Minsk I and Minsk II cease-fire agreements aimed at bringing peace to eastern Ukraine.
- Defiant Lukashenka Warns Russia, West Against Pressuring Belarus RFE/RL 29 Jan 2015 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has displayed defiance toward Russia and the West, warning them in a marathon news conference that he would bow to no one's will.
- Worried About Moscow, Belarus's Lukashenka Drifts Toward Brussels RFE/RL 27 Jan 2015 -- Alyaksandr Lukashenka isn't known for waxing poetically about the Belarusian language. But that's exactly what he did at a youth gathering in Minsk earlier this month.
- Under New Belarus Law, 'Little Green Men' Would Mean War RFE/RL 26 Jan 2015 -- Belarus has adopted legislation under which the appearance of armed foreign forces on the country's soil will be considered an act of aggression regardless of whether they are regular troops.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list