Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2013 Belarus Special Weapons News
- Russia, Belarus Sign Glonass Cooperation Agreement RIA Novosti 13 Dec 2013 -- Russia and Belarus on Friday signed an intergovernmental agreement on cooperation in the use and development of the Glonass global navigation and positioning network.
- Lukashenka Fells Longtime Ally, Leaving Belarus-Watchers Stumped RFE/RL 15 Nov 2013 -- On November 30, 2012, Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka took a tour of the Borisovdrev timber mill in central Minsk Oblast. He didn't like what he saw.
- Russia, Belarus Begin Second Stage of Strategic Drills RIA Novosti 23 Sep 2013 -- The second stage of international strategic exercises, Zapad 2013, began at five locations in Russia and Belarus.
- Russia, Belarus Begin Strategic Biannual Exercises RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2013 -- About 12,000 Russian servicemen will take part in joint biannual military exercises of Russia and Belarus beginning on Friday.
- Russia to Deliver More Air Defense Systems to Belarus in 2013 RIA Novosti 11 Sep 2013 -- Russia will deliver a third battery of Tor-M2 air defense systems to Belarus by the end of this year, Belarusian Defense Minister Yuri Zhadobin said Wednesday.
- With Belarus's Economy In Balance, Lukashenka Stands Up To Russia RFE/RL 04 Sep 2013 -- Perhaps the last thing Russian President Vladimir Putin expected was to be blindsided by his usually loyal ally, Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka.
- Russian Fighter Jets to Deploy to Belarus by Year End RIA Novosti 28 Aug 2013 -- A unit of Russian fighter jets will be deployed in Belarus before the yearend.
- Belarusian Young Front Leader Dashkevich Released From Jail RFE/RL 28 Aug 2013 -- Zmitser Dashkevich, the leader of the unregistered Young Front political movement in Belarus, has been released from prison.
- Romanian, US Military Inspectors to Fly Over Russia, Belarus RIA Novosti 15 Jul 2013 -- Romanian and US military inspectors will make surveillance flights over the territories of Russia and Belarus under the international Open Skies Treaty starting on Monday, the Russian Defense Ministry said in a statement.
- Belarusian Activist Convicted Of Attempting To Contact Spy Agency RFE/RL 01 Jul 2013 -- An opposition activist in Belarus has been sentenced to 18 months in jail after being convicted of attempting to contact a foreign intelligence service.
- Russia to Open Airbase in Belarus Within Months RIA Novosti 26 Jun 2013 -- Russia is opening an airbase in northwestern Belarus, near the Polish and Lithuanian borders, within just a few months.
- Obama Extends Belarus Sanctions, National Emergency RFE/RL 14 Jun 2013 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has extended for one year the U.S. national emergency with respect to Belarus.
- Obama Extends Sanctions against Belarus RIA Novosti 14 Jun 2013 -- US President Barack Obama extended by one year sanctions imposed on Belarus in 2006, the White House press service said.
- Message to Congress - Continuation of the National Emergency with respect to Belarus The White House 13 Jun 2013
- Notice to Congress - Continuation of the National Emergency with respect to Belarus The White House 13 Jun 2013
- Belarusian KGB Arrests Suspected Foreign Spy RIA Novosti 30 May 2013 -- A foreign national has been detained in Minsk on suspicion of being involved in espionage, the Belarusian security service, the KGB, said.
- US Lifts Belarusian Arms Exporter Sanctions RIA Novosti 27 May 2013 -- The US State Department has lifted sanctions against Belarusian arms exporter Beltechexport.
- China to Finance New Belarusian City RIA Novosti 27 May 2013 -- Beijing will bankroll construction of a new city of up to 150,000 people in Belarus, giving Chinese manufacturers a backdoor into European markets.
- Belarusian, Armenian Presidents Meet RFE/RL 13 May 2013 -- Armenian President Serzh Sarkisian has held talks with his visiting Belarusian counterpart, Alyaksandr Lukashenka.
- Belarus, Russia to Create New Satellite Grouping RIA Novosti 09 Apr 2013 -- Belarus and Russia are planning to set up an advanced civilian satellite grouping, Pyotr Vityaz, a spokesman for the Belarusian National Academy of Sciences, said on Tuesday.
- Former Belarus Intelligence Officer Gets Asylum In Lithuania RFE/RL 18 Mar 2013 -- Former Belarusian military intelligence officer Stsyapan Zakharchanka has been granted political asylum in Lithuania.
- Belarus Phases Out Russian Warplanes, Radars RIA Novosti 19 Feb 2013 -- Belarus’ Armed Forces will replace a Russian radar station with an indigenous one and get rid of Russian-made Sukhoi Su-27 fighters, Belarusian Defense Minister Yury Zhadobin said on Tuesday.
- Imposition of Nonproliferation Sanctions Against Foreign Entities and Individuals US Dept. of State 11 Feb 2013
- China to Give Belarus $16 mln Chernobyl Aid RIA Novosti 09 Jan 2013 -- China is to donate some $16 million to Belarus to support children in areas hit by the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear disaster, the Belarusian government said on Wednesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list