Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2012 Belarus Special Weapons News
- Russia to Deliver Four Warplanes to Belarus in 2015 RIA Novosti 18 Dec 2012 -- Belarus and Russia have signed a contract for the delivery of four Yak-130 Mitten jet trainers/light attack aircraft to Belarus in 2015, the Russian aircraft maker said on Tuesday.
- Belarus Human Rights Center Staff Facing Eviction RFE/RL 19 Nov 2012 -- The staff of a prominent human rights organization in Minsk is being evicted from its office.
- Lukashenko Fired KGB Chief Over 'Unhealthy' Climate RIA Novosti 19 Nov 2012 -- Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko said he fired the country’s KGB chief over an “unhealthy moral and psychological atmosphere” in the state security body.
- Belarus KGB Head Sacked RIA Novosti 09 Nov 2012 -- Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has dismissed Vadim Zaitsev, head of the republic’s State Security Committee.
- Lukashenko Dismisses OSCE as ‘Irrelevant’ RIA Novosti 06 Nov 2012 -- The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe has become irrelevant, because it is unable to perform its functions, Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko said.
- UN expert seeks open dialogue in Belarus UN News Centre 01 Nov 2012 -- A United Nations independent expert called on the Government and civil society of Belarus to engage in an open dialogue with him to promote and protect human rights in the country.
- Belarusian Political Prisoner Dashkevich Sent To Maximum-Security Jail RFE/RL 30 Oct 2012 -- A court in Belarus has ordered that jailed opposition activist Dzmitry Dashkevich be sent to a maximum-security prison to serve the remainder of his sentence.
- European Parliament Criticizes Minsk Over Elections RFE/RL 26 Oct 2012 -- The European Parliament has strongly criticized the recent parliamentary elections in Belarus, noting they failed to meet many basic democratic standards.
- Former Belarusian Presidential Candidate Gets Political Asylum In Britain RFE/RL 26 Oct 2012 -- Former Belarusian presidential candidate Andrey Sannikau reportedly has received political asylum in Britain.
- Mossad Agents To 'Defend Minsk' RFE/RL 22 Oct 2012 -- Meir Dagan was diagnosed with cancer several months ago and came to Minsk for a liver transplant.
- Belarus Hopes for Russian Financing for Army RIA Novosti 16 Oct 2012 -- Belarus hopes that Russia will help it modernize its military in order to protect Russia’s own Western borders, Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko said.
- EU Strengthens Sanctions On Iran, Syria RFE/RL 15 Oct 2012 -- European Union foreign ministers meeting in Luxembourg have adopted new economic sanctions against Iran and Syria and maintained existing measures against Belarus.
- EU Ministers Opt To Keep Sanctions On Belarus RFE/RL 15 Oct 2012 -- European Union foreign ministers meeting in Luxembourg have resolved to keep sanctions in place against Belarus, but they are continuing to hold out the prospect of lifting sanctions if Minsk improves its human rights record.
- EU Extends Belarus Sanctions RIA Novosti 15 Oct 2012 -- The EU Foreign Affairs Council extended sanctions on Belarus by one year over continuing human rights abuses, lack of legitimacy and failure to respect democratic principles in the country.
- UN atomic agency praises Belarus’ progress on nuclear power programme UN News Centre 05 Oct 2012 -- Belarus has made important progress in its development of nuclear infrastructure, the United Nations atomic agency said.
- Belarus Needs Nuclear Regulator - UN Watchdog RIA Novosti 05 Oct 2012 -- Belarus should create a regulatory system covering the construction and operation of its first nuclear power plant.
- Belarus Prison-Abuse Reports Spark Concerns About Jailed Dissidents RFE/RL 03 Oct 2012 -- Concern is mounting over the well-being of jailed opposition figures in Belarus amid reports of prison abuse, including threats of torture, rape, and murder.
- Belarus President to Cut Government by 30% RIA Novosti 01 Oct 2012 -- The state and government administration in Belarus will be downsized by 25 to 30 percent, President Alexander Lukashenko said.
- Russia To Sell Old Su-30 Fighters To Belarus RFE/RL 27 Sep 2012 -- Russian media reports say Moscow plans to sell Belarus old Sukhoi Su-30 military planes formerly used by India.
- Competition limited in Belarus elections as many democratic rights not respected, international observers say OSCE 24 Sep 2012 -- Many OSCE commitments on citizen's democratic rights to associate, to stand as candidates and to express themselves freely were not respected in yesterday's parliamentary elections in Belarus, concluded the international observers from the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) and the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly (OSCE PA).
- Belarus Vote Totally Shuts Out Opposition RFE/RL 24 Sep 2012 -- Parties loyal to President Alyaksandr Lukashenka have swept weekend legislative elections in Belarus, according to preliminary results posted by the Central Election Commission.
- OSCE Slams Belarus Vote As 'Not Competitive From The Start' RFE/RL 24 Sep 2012 -- The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) says it has 'serious concerns' over weekend parliamentary elections in Belarus in which not a single opposition candidate won a seat in parliament.
- Parliamentary Elections In Belarus Declared Valid, Despite Boycott Calls RFE/RL 23 Sep 2012 -- Belarus's Central Election Commission has announced that the country's parliamentary elections are valid, as voter turnout passed the required 50 percent.
- Lukashenko Warns Opposition Not to March Against Parliamentary Vote VOA 23 Sep 2012 -- Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko is warning the opposition not to march against Sunday's parliamentary elections, which opponents call a sham.
- Belarus to Boost Air Defense with New Russian Warplanes RIA Novosti 22 Sep 2012 -- Belarus will receive modern Russian-made combat jets to protect the airspace over the borders of the Russia-Belarus Union State, Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko said.
- Six Belarusian Groups Call For Vote Boycott RFE/RL 21 Sep 2012 -- Six Belarusian opposition groups have called on voters to boycott this weekend's parliamentary elections in that country.
- Belarus Opposition Urges Election Boycott RFE/RL 17 Sep 2012 -- Two main opposition parties in Belarus are calling for a boycott of upcoming parliamentary elections on September 23, denouncing the vote as a farce.
- Close Associate Of Ousted Kyrgyz President Detained In Kazakhstan RFE/RL 05 Sep 2012 -- The Kazakh Interior Ministry has announced the arrest of a close associate of Kyrgyzstan's former President Kurmanbek Bakiev.
- Belarus Refuses to Extradite Kyrgyz Ex-President’s Brother RIA Novosti 05 Sep 2012 -- Belarus refused to extradite to Kyrgyzstan Zhanysh Bakiyev, a brother of the country’s ex-president wanted on murder charges.
- Kyrgyz Ambassador in Minsk Sacked Amid Photo Scandal RIA Novosti 03 Sep 2012 -- Kyrgyz ambassador to Belarus Erik Ansanaliyev has been sacked after images of the wanted former Kyrgyz president’s brother made in Minsk appeared on the internet.
- German Authorities Defend Belarus Police Training RFE/RL 29 Aug 2012 -- A political storm in Berlin over why German police were training Belarusian security forces as late as last year is increasingly turning into a spat between Germany and the EU.
- Ecuador Rejects Extradition Request For Belarusian Political Refugee RFE/RL 29 Aug 2012 -- A judge on Ecuador's highest court has rejected an extradition request from Belarus for a former police investigator who is wanted by Belarus authorities for alleged fraud and extortion.
- Kyrgyzstan Asks CIS to Help in Bakiyev’s Extradition RIA Novosti 28 Aug 2012 -- Kyrgyzstan requested the Commonwealth of Independent States to assist in the extradition of former Kyrgyz president’s brother wanted on murder charges.
- Kyrgyz Protesters Storm Belarusian Embassy, Demand Bakievs' Extradition RFE/RL 28 Aug 2012 -- Scores of people stormed the Belarusian Embassy in the Kyrgyz capital, Bishkek.
- Belarusian Embassy in Kyrgyzstan Attacked RIA Novosti 28 Aug 2012 -- Relatives of Kyrgyz coup victims threw stones at the embassy of Belarus in Bishkek during a rally to demand extradition of the ex-president and his brother, accused of mass murders in absentia.
- More Than 360 Candidates Registered For Belarus Elections RFE/RL 24 Aug 2012 -- Belarus's Central Election Commission says 362 candidates have been registered to compete in the upcoming parliamentary elections.
- Lukashenka: 'No Major Failures' In Foreign Policy RFE/RL 22 Aug 2012 -- Belarus President Alyaksandr Lukashenka said that his country has not made any major mistakes in its foreign policy.
- EU Says Ready to Work With New Belarus FM RIA Novosti 20 Aug 2012 -- The EU said in a statement that it will work with the new Belarusian foreign minister despite the fact that he is subject to EU sanctions.
- Lukashenka Replaces Belarusian Foreign Minister RFE/RL 20 Aug 2012 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has dismissed Foreign Minister Syarhey Martynau and replaced him with Uladzimer Makei, the head of the presidential administration.
- Belarusian Detained for Espionage RIA Novosti 13 Aug 2012 -- The Belarusian KGB detained a resident of Brest in the southwest of the country for attempted espionage, according to a statement released on Monday by the KGB's Center for Information and Public Relations.
- EU Prepares 'Clear Message' For Belarus RFE/RL 10 Aug 2012 -- EU officials have met in Brussels to discuss Belarus, hinting at the end of their meeting that more sanctions could be imposed on Minsk soon.
- Belarus Embassy Wraps up in Sweden RIA Novosti 10 Aug 2012 -- The Belarusian Embassy in Sweden has stopped accepting most documents and has turned that task over to the Latvian Embassy.
- EU Diplomats In Crisis Talks Over Teddy Bear Incident RFE/RL 10 Aug 2012 -- European Union envoys are holding emergency talks to discuss a response to Belarus's expulsion of Swedish diplomats over what has become known as the "teddy bear" incident.
- EU May Recall All Ambassadors From Belarus RIA Novosti 10 Aug 2012 -- In response to Belarus’s expulsion of Swedish Ambassador Stefan Eriksson, the EU’s Political and Security Committee (PCS) may coordinate a withdrawal of all EU ambassadors from Belarus.
- U.S. Concerned over Swedish Envoy’s Expulsion from Belarus RIA Novosti 09 Aug 2012 -- The United States has expressed deep concern over Minsk’s decision to force the Swedish ambassador to leave Belarus.
- Belarus Expels Swedish Officials Over Bear Drop VOA 08 Aug 2012 -- Belarus is recalling its ambassador to Sweden and its entire embassy staff in the latest round of tense moves.
- Minsk Recalls Entire Staff From Sweden RFE/RL 08 Aug 2012 -- European Union ambassadors will hold an emergency meeting on a row that has seen Belarus expel all Sweden's diplomats.
- Belarus Withdraws Embassy Staff From Sweden RIA Novosti 08 Aug 2012 -- Belarus has asked Sweden to pull its diplomats out of Minsk after it said it is withdrawing all of its embassy staff from Stockholm.
- Belarus Special Forces to Receive Ultralights by 2015 RIA Novosti 01 Aug 2012 -- Belarusian special forces will be equipped with ultralight aircraft and unmanned aerial vehicles by 2015.
- Russia, Belarus Sign $10 Bln Nuclear Power Plant Deal RIA Novosti 18 Jul 2012 -- Russia signed a $10 billion contract with Belarus on Wednesday to build the former Soviet republic's first nuclear power plant.
- Belarusian KGB Reports Arrest Of Lithuanian 'Spy' RFE/RL 12 Jul 2012 -- The Belarusian security agency has announced it has arrested a military officer from neighboring Lithuania on suspicion of conducting espionage.
- Belarus Claims Lithuanian Spies Arrest RIA Novosti 12 Jul 2012 -- Belarus’ State Security Committee said it had detained a Lithuanian military intelligence officer and his local agents for spying.
- Belarus’ Leader Denies Building Dynasty RIA Novosti 02 Jul 2012 -- The authoritarian leader of Belarus, Alexander Lukashenko, denied his own earlier statement that he was grooming one of his sons to succeed him.
- Belarus, Russia to Sign Nuclear Plant Deal in July RIA Novosti 22 Jun 2012 -- Belarus will sign a master contract with Russia to construct the first nuclear power plant in the country in July.
- Belarus Parliamentary Vote To Be Held In September RFE/RL 18 Jun 2012 -- President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has announced that Belarus will hold parliamentary elections on September 23.
- Belarusian Foreign Ministry Slams Obama’s Decision To Extend 'National Emergency' RFE/RL 15 Jun 2012 -- The Belarusian government has denounced the U.S. decision to extend a "national emergency" over Washington's relations to Belarus.
- Belarus Grounds Military Planes over Su-25 Crash RIA Novosti 13 Jun 2012 -- The Belarusian Defense Ministry has suspended flights by military combat aircraft following the recent crash of a Sukhoi Su-25 Frogfoot attack plane, local news agency BELTA reported.
- Su-25 Fighter Jet Crashes in Belarus RIA Novosti 12 Jun 2012 -- A Soviet-era fighter jet crashed in Belarus on Tuesday, killing the man piloting the aircraft, the country's Defense Ministry said.
- EU Takes Stock Of Its Near Neighbors RFE/RL 15 May 2012 -- The European Commission has issued a progress report on the European Neighborhood Policy and its implementation, noting particular challenges and concerns among the bloc's most immediate neighbors.
- Russia to Deliver More Air Defense Systems to Belarus RIA Novosti 18 Apr 2012 -- Russia will continue deliveries of Tor-M2 air defense systems to Belarus in 2012, Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said.
- U.S. Credits Minsk For Releasing Political Prisoners RFE/RL 17 Apr 2012 -- The U.S. government has called Belarus’s decision to release a former presidential candidate and his campaign manager from prison “a significant step.”
- Washington Welcomes Release of Political Prisoners in Belarus RIA Novosti 17 Apr 2012 -- The United Sates regards the recent release of two political prisoners in Belarus as an important step toward the improvement of democracy in the country.
- Belarus President Postpones Address To Nation RFE/RL 17 Apr 2012 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has rejected a draft of the annual address to the nation and postponed the date of the address.
- Belarus, Russia to Stage Airborne Assault Drills RIA Novosti 16 Apr 2012 -- Russian and Belarusian airborne assault forces will conduct a three-day joint tactical exercise, the Russian Defense Ministry said.
- Belarusians Barred From Leaving Country Will Be Stopped In Russia RFE/RL 06 Apr 2012 -- Russian Border Services Chief Vladimir Pronichev has announced that Belarusian citizens barred from leaving the country will not be allowed to use Russian territory.
- Russia Closes Door on Belarus Opposition - Report RIA Novosti 06 Apr 2012 -- Russia will not allow into the country Belarusian opposition figures who are banned from leaving Belarus but could use Russia as transit hub to flee abroad.
- EU Envoys to Belarus to Get ‘Case by Case’ Treatment RIA Novosti 05 Apr 2012 -- The return of EU ambassadors to Belarus will be handled on a case-by-case basis, President Alexander Lukashenko said.
- Belarus to Build Vertical Takeoff Drones RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2012 -- The Belarusian State Military-Industrial Committee is planning to develop a range of unmanned aerial vehicles with vertical takeoff and landing capability.
- Belarus ‘Ready’ to Build Second Nuclear Plant RIA Novosti 03 Apr 2012 -- Belarus may build a second nuclear plant in the country in addition to one already planned for the western Grodno Region.
- EU Ministers Impose New Sanctions On Belarus, Iran, Syria RFE/RL 23 Mar 2012 -- European Union foreign ministers have imposed new sanctions targeting the Iranian, Belarusian, and Syrian regimes.
- EU Extends Sanctions on Belarus RIA Novosti 23 Mar 2012 -- Following the recent execution of two Minsk metro bombers European Union foreign ministers extended their sanctions on the Belarusian regime.
- Minsk Does Not Want EU Diplomats Back RFE/RL 23 Mar 2012 -- Officials in Minsk have said that there is no need for the European Union member states' ambassadors to return.
- Belarus to Impose Iron Curtain for Opposition RIA Novosti 23 Mar 2012 -- Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has officially confirmed that Minsk would introduce an “iron curtain” on the country's opposition.
- EU Ministers To Expand Belarus Sanctions RFE/RL 21 Mar 2012 -- The European Union is expected to blacklist another 12 Belarusian individuals close to the regime of President Alyaksandr Lukashenka.
- Lukashenka Calls Trial Of Subway Bombers 'Transparent, Fair' RFE/RL 21 Mar 2012 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka believes the trial and execution of Minsk subway bombers was "transparent and fair."
- Lukashenko: EU 'Never Asked Me' to Delay Execution RIA Novosti 21 Mar 2012 -- Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko said the European Union had not asked him to postpone the execution of two men charged with terrorist attack.
- In Wake Of Belarus Executions, Doubts About Judicial Process RFE/RL 19 Mar 2012 -- Candles and flowers litter the stairwell outside the apartment of Lyubou Kavalyova, the mother of one of the two men executed.
- West Condems Execution of Minsk Metro Bombers RIA Novosti 19 Mar 2012 -- The West condemned the swift execution by Belarus of two men convicted of planting bombs in the Minsk metro.
- EU Condemns Minsk Bomber Execution, Calls for Moratorium RIA Novosti 18 Mar 2012 -- EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton called on the Belarusian leadership to introduce a death penalty execution moratorium and condemned the execution of Vladislav Kovalyov, one of the two men sentenced to death for their role in the 2011 Minsk subway blast.
- EU Concerned About 'Deteriorating' Situation In Belarus RFE/RL 02 Mar 2012 -- European Union officials have expressed their "serious" concern over "the further deterioration of the situation" in Belarus.
- EU To Discuss Further Belarus Sanctions RFE/RL 02 Mar 2012 -- European Union leaders were expected to discuss possible sanctions against Belarus as they convened on the second day of a summit in Brussels.
- OSCE Unlikely to Suspend Belarus Membership - U.S. Diplomat RIA Novosti 02 Mar 2012 -- The issue of suspending Belarus membership from the OSCE has not been raised, U.S. Ambassador to the OSCE Ian Kelly said.
- Minsk Says EU 'Escalating Tensions' RFE/RL 29 Feb 2012 -- Belarus has accused the European Union of "escalating tensions" with Minsk by recalling ambassadors to the East European country.
- U.S. Warns Belarus of Deepening Isolation RIA Novosti 29 Feb 2012 -- The Unites States has expressed “deep regret” over the Belarusian authorities’ decision to expel two European Union diplomats in retaliation for new EU sanctions.
- EU Pulls Ambassadors Out of Belarus VOA 28 Feb 2012 -- European Union members are pulling all their ambassadors from Belarus after its authoritarian government ordered Polish and EU ambassadors out.
- Belarus Expels European Envoys Over New Sanctions; EU Vows To Counter RFE/RL 28 Feb 2012 -- Belarus has asked the Polish and European Union ambassadors to leave the country.
- EU to Recall All Ambassadors from Belarus RIA Novosti 28 Feb 2012 -- European Union states have reached an agreement to recall all their ambassadors from Belarus after Minsk requested the EU and Polish ambassadors to leave the country.
- EU Plans Fresh Sanctions Against Belarusian Officials RFE/RL 27 Feb 2012 -- European Union officials say privately that the EU is planning fresh sanctions against Belarus.
- EU Diplomats Say Slovenia Blocking Belarus Sanctions RFE/RL 24 Feb 2012 -- European Union diplomats have accused Slovenia of blocking further EU sanctions on Belarus.
- Belarus to Deploy More Russian Missile Defense Systems RIA Novosti 21 Feb 2012 -- Belarus will equip a second missile battery with Russian Tor-M2 air defense systems before the end of the current year.
- European Parliament Chief Deplores Belarus Situation RFE/RL 14 Feb 2012 -- European Parliament President Martin Schulz has said he is "appalled by the deteriorating situation in Belarus regarding human rights and political freedoms."
- Lukashenko Urges Russia to Expedite Nuke Plant Construction RIA Novosti 13 Feb 2012 -- Belarus has asked Russia's national development bank to speed up construction of the country's first nuclear power station.
- Jailed Belarus Opposition Activist Asks for Pardon RIA Novosti 25 Jan 2012 -- Belarusian former presidential candidate Andrei Sannikov has asked President Alexander Lukashenko for a pardon.
- EU Prepares Fresh Sanctions for Belarus RIA Novosti 24 Jan 2012 -- The European Union is preparing to impose new sanctions against Belarusian companies and individuals that are deemed responsible for human rights violations, a European Council spokesperson told RIA Novosti.
- Belarus' Lukashenko Promises Reform RIA Novosti 19 Jan 2012 -- Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said he may launch political reform following the country’s parliamentary elections this fall.
- Jailed Belarusian Opposition Activists Placed In Stricter Conditions RFE/RL 17 Jan 2012 -- A jailed former Belarusian presidential candidate has been placed in solitary confinement.
- Obama Signs Belarus Human Rights And Democracy Act RFE/RL 04 Jan 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has signed into law a strengthened sanctions regime for Belarus.
- Barack Obama signs into law Belarus sanctions bill RIA Novosti 04 Jan 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama signed into law the Belarus Democracy and Human Rights Act of 2011.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list