Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2009 Belarus Special Weapons News
- Belarus parliament shelves recognition of S.Ossetia, Abkhazia RIA Novosti 18 Dec 2009 -- Belarusian parliament will not hold hearings on recognizing the former Georgian republics of Abkhazia and South Ossetia before spring 2010.
- Minsk Officials Say Flu Epidemic Is Over RFE/RL 01 Dec 2009 -- Health officials in the Belarusian capital, Minsk, say the flu epidemic is over in the city.
- Lukashenka Says Medvedev's Journalist Meeting 'Senseless' RFE/RL 25 Nov 2009 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has called Russian President Dmitry Medvedev's meeting with members of the Belarusian media "senseless," RFE/RL's Belarus Service reports.
- Russian President Hosts 'Belarusian Only' Press RFE/RL 24 Nov 2009 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev held a meeting with Belarusian journalists at his residence in Barvikha on November 23, RFE/RL's Belarus Service reports.
- Belarus MPs visit Georgia's borders with Abkhazia, S.Ossetia RIA Novosti 19 Nov 2009 -- A delegation of Belarusian MPs visited Georgia's borders with Abkhazia and S. Ossetia and talked with displaced people.
- Russia dismisses NATO concerns over military drills with Belarus RIA Novosti 18 Nov 2009 -- There is no reason for NATO to be concerned over recent Russian-Belarusian large-scale military drills near Poland.
- 'Pragmatic' EU To Keep Belarus Sanctions In Suspension RFE/RL 16 Nov 2009 -- EU foreign ministers are set to announce that the bloc will extend for another year its dual approach in dealing with Belarus.
- Belarusian Parliamentarians To Visit South Ossetia, Abkhazia RFE/RL 05 Nov 2009 -- A group of Belarusian lawmakers will travel to Georgia and its breakaway regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia to decide about the recognizing the regions as independent states.
- Belarus sets up working group on Abkhazia, S.Ossetia recognition RIA Novosti 05 Nov 2009 -- Belarusian parliament has resolved to establish a working group to consider recognition of former Georgian republics.
- Belarus to consider recognition of Abkhazia and South Ossetia RIA Novosti 05 Nov 2009 -- The Belarusian parliament is to consider next week the recognition of the 2 former Georgian republics.
- Belarus reports seven swine flu deaths RIA Novosti 05 Nov 2009 -- The Belarusian Health Ministry said seven people have died from swine flu in the country.
- Number of swine flu cases in Belarus rises to 59 RIA Novosti 01 Nov 2009 -- The number of people infected with A/H1N1 virus in Belarus has risen to 59, the Health Ministry said on Sunday.
- Lukashenko signs Belarus up to post-Soviet rapid reaction force RIA Novosti 20 Oct 2009 -- President of Belarus signed documents on joining a post-Soviet regional security bloc's rapid reaction force.
- No pressure on Belarus over S.Ossetia, Abkhazia - minister RIA Novosti 14 Oct 2009 -- Russia is not putting pressure on Belarus to recognize Abkhazia and South Ossetia.
- Vested interests in Russia stopped Abkhazia recognition - Lukashenko RIA Novosti 02 Oct 2009 -- Belarusian President Lukashenko: Belarus did not recognize South Ossetia and Abkhazia following the August 2008 conflict in the Caucasus due to the actions of certain forces.
- Belarus set to join post-Soviet rapid reaction force RIA Novosti 02 Oct 2009 -- Belarus has completed the procedures necessary to sign documents on joining a post-Soviet regional security bloc's rapid reaction force.
- Medvedev says Russia-Belarus war games strengthen ties RIA Novosti 29 Sep 2009 -- Russia's president hailed military drills with Belarus, saying they proved the two ex-Soviet states remained allies.
- Russia-Belarus military drills 'defensive' - Medvedev RIA Novosti 28 Sep 2009 -- Large-scale joint military exercises being held by Russian and Belarus are not aimed at anyone and are purely of a defense nature.
- Russian bombers test high-precision weaponry during drills RIA Novosti 28 Sep 2009 -- Russian strategic and tactical bombers have successfully conducted live-firing drills at a practice range in Belarus.
- Russian navy to rehearse landing, coast defense operations RIA Novosti 28 Sep 2009 -- Russian Navy landing craft will join the final stage of a Russian-Belarusian defense exercise, code-named Zapad 2009.
- Russian Air Force to rehearse robotic strikes in defense exercise RIA Novosti 24 Sep 2009 -- Russian Air Force units will rehearse air strikes with automated target acquisition, command and control systems.
- Belarus to create national space agency RIA Novosti 21 Sep 2009 -- Belarus plans to create its own space agency, and will consider specialists' proposals by the end of the year.
- Lukashenko cautious over U.S. move on missile shield in Europe RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2009 -- Belarus President Lukashenko: Too early to draw any conclusions regarding US statement.
- Russia, Belarus begin joint anti-aircraft defense exercises RIA Novosti 18 Sep 2009 -- First phase of joint Russian-Belarusian military exercises began with the involvement of aircraft and 12,600 military personnel.
- Russia's strategic missile forces to play war games on Sept. 8-11 RIA Novosti 07 Sep 2009 -- Russia's Strategic Missile Forces (SMF) will conduct on September 8-11 large-scale command-and-staff exercises involving over 2,000 personnel, an SMF spokesman said on Monday.
- Belarusian Activist's Spy 'Confession' Yields More Questions Than Answers RFE/RL 04 Sep 2009 -- Syarhey Haurylin single-handedly managed to shine a spotlight on Belarus's ill-famed secret services.
- S.Ossetia wants to join Russia-Belarus union - leader RIA Novosti 21 Aug 2009 -- South Ossetia will seek to join the union being formed by Russia and Belarus.
- Lukashenka Pardons Imprisoned U.S. Lawyer RFE/RL 30 Jun 2009 -- The Belarusian government has announced a presidential pardon for Emmanuel Zeltser, imprisoned for nearly a year on espionage charges.
- Belarus offers to restore ties with U.S. if sanctions lifted RIA Novosti 30 Jun 2009 -- Lukashenko: Belarus ready to restore diplomatic relations with US if sanctions are lifted.
- Russia Offers Help For New Belarus Nuclear Power Plant RFE/RL 26 Jun 2009 -- Russia will help Belarus construct a new nuclear power plant.
- Belarus calls deals at Moscow security summit 'illegitimate' RIA Novosti 14 Jun 2009 -- Belarus has said the agreements reached at the meeting are illegitimate.
- Medvedev criticizes Belarusian leader for pulling out of summit RIA Novosti 14 Jun 2009 -- The Russian president criticized his Belarusian counterpart for refusing to attend a security summit in Moscow.
- CSTO leaders sign rapid-reaction force deal without Belarus RIA Novosti 14 Jun 2009 -- Leaders of the CSTO have signed an agreement on creating a joint rapid-reaction force without a signature from Belarus.
- Belarus says no CSTO decisions can be taken in its absence RIA Novosti 14 Jun 2009 -- Belarus has said no summit decisions will be valid without its involvement.
- CSTO summit prepares documents on rapid-reaction force RIA Novosti 14 Jun 2009 -- FMs from member states of the CSTO prepared at their meeting documents for creating a joint rapid-reaction force.
- Post-Soviet security bloc to hold summit, but without Belarus RIA Novosti 14 Jun 2009 -- Summit of the CSTO security bloc will go ahead in Moscow as planned, despite Belarus's withdrawal.
- Belarus Boycotts Russian-Led Security Summit VOA 14 Jun 2009 -- Belarus has refused to sign on to Russia's plan to form a NATO-style rapid reaction force that would respond to such disasters as terrorism.
- Belarus Leader Snubs Moscow Security Pact Summit RFE/RL 14 Jun 2009 -- Belarus signaled a growing rift with Russia, saying President Alyaksandr Lukashenka would not attend a security summit in Moscow.
- Russia denies Belarus cooperation linked to S.Ossetia, Abkhazia RIA Novosti 09 Jun 2009 -- Russia's FM denied that cooperation with Belarus was linked to the country's recognition of Abkhazia and S. Ossetia.
- Belarus can't be bought on Abkhazia, S.Ossetia - Lukashenko RIA Novosti 05 Jun 2009 -- Belarus will decide on its own whether to recognize the former Georgian republics, regardless of any foreign loans.
- Russia to deploy 2 armies in Belarus for Zapad military drills RIA Novosti 05 Jun 2009 -- Russia will deploy two full-sized armies in Belarus during large-scale joint military exercises in September.
- CSTO to hold large-scale joint military drills in Aug.-Sept. RIA Novosti 03 Jun 2009 -- CSTO will conduct joint military exercises in August-September in Russia, Kazakhstan and Belarus.
- Belarus asks for $9bln Russian loan for nuclear plant project RIA Novosti 02 Jun 2009 -- Belarus has asked Russia for a $9 billion loan for the construction of the ex-Soviet republic's first nuclear power plant.
- Belarus seeks $9 bln Russian loan for nuclear plant RIA Novosti 28 May 2009 -- Belarus has requested a $9 billion loan from Russia for the construction of a nuclear power plant.
- Russia's $500 mln loan to Belarus to be discussed Thursday RIA Novosti 27 May 2009 -- Final $500 million tranche of a $2 billion loan to Belarus will be under discussion at a session of the ministers council.
- Russia-Belarus firm to export Pechora-2M systems to 5 countries RIA Novosti 26 May 2009 -- Russia-Belarus group Defense Systems will supply Pechora-2M air defense systems to five countries.
- Belarus set to boost ties with Abkhazia, South Ossetia RIA Novosti 21 May 2009 -- Belarus is set to boost economic, social and cultural ties with Abkhazia and South Ossetia.
- CSTO Official Says Russia Will Supply Missiles To Belarus RFE/RL 20 May 2009 -- Secretary-general of the Collective Security Treaty Organization: Russia will soon supply Belarus with S-400 and Iskander missiles.
- Russia sees no problems on air defense system sale to Belarus RIA Novosti 19 May 2009 -- There are no problems with the sale of Tor-M2 and Buk-M2 air defense systems to Belarus.
- Kremlin to decide on sale of advanced missile systems to Belarus RIA Novosti 14 May 2009 -- Russia will only supply Iskander and S-400 missile systems to Belarus if the country's leadership approves the deal.
- Belarus denies plans to sell Syria, Iran weapons RIA Novosti 08 May 2009 -- The Belarusian president denied the country had any plans to sell weapons to Syria or Iran.
- Belarusian President 'Will Not Attend' Prague Summit RFE/RL 30 Apr 2009 -- An organizer of the EI's Eastern Partnership summit in Prague: President Alyaksandr Lukashenka will not attend the May 7 event.
- Belarusian KGB Detains Polish Radio Correspondent RFE/RL 30 Apr 2009 -- Agents from the Belarusian State Security Committee have detained a correspondent for the Poland-based broadcaster Radio Racja.
- Belarusian President Hails Eastern Partnership As 'Timely Idea' RFE/RL 23 Apr 2009 -- Belarusian President Lukashenka: Belarus wants to normalize "difficult" relations with the EU.
- Lukashenko tells U.S. sanctions will not work with Belarus RIA Novosti 23 Apr 2009 -- Belarusian President Lukashenko: Hoped new US administration understood no future in using the "language of sanctions."
- Lukashenko tells MPs he alone makes the decisions in Belarus RIA Novosti 23 Apr 2009 -- Belarusian President Lukashenko: Makes all the decisions himself and his main adviser is his eldest son, Viktor.
- Lukashenko says Belarus committed to cooperation with EU RIA Novosti 17 Apr 2009 -- President of Belarus: Committed to cooperation with the EU, but refused to engage country's opposition.
- Lukashenko wants more transparency in relations with Russia RIA Novosti 09 Apr 2009 -- Belarusian President Lukashenko would like to see dealings between Belarus and Russia become more transparent.
- Russia plans to deliver advanced air defense missiles to Belarus RIA Novosti 09 Apr 2009 -- Russia will supply advanced air defense systems under agreement to create an integrated air defense network.
- Russia to supply advanced surface-to-air missiles to Belarus RIA Novosti 08 Apr 2009 -- Russia is to deliver S-400 Triumf surface-to-air missile systems to Belarus under an integrated air-defense agreement.
- Belarus president tells officials not to grovel to Russia RIA Novosti 07 Apr 2009 -- Belarusian President Lukashenko accused Russia of failing to fulfill bilateral economic agreements.
- European Parliament Backs New 'Pragmatism' On Belarus RFE/RL 02 Apr 2009 -- The European Parliament has adopted a resolution that outlines support for a broader EU engagement with Belarus.
- Lukashenko seeks closer ties between Belarus and EU RIA Novosti 30 Mar 2009 -- Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko: Country was ready to develop closer ties with the European Union.
- EU Set To Gamble On Belarus Invite To 'Partnership' Summit RFE/RL 27 Mar 2009 -- A tentative consensus appeared to be emerging to invite Belarus to an upcoming launch summit of the Eastern Partnership.
- EU Approves 'Ambitious' Partnership For Belarus, Other Ex-Soviet Neighbors RFE/RL 20 Mar 2009 -- After weeks of fierce internal debate, EU leaders have put their seal of approval on the Eastern Partnership.
- EU leaders approve Belarus joining Eastern Partnership program RIA Novosti 20 Mar 2009 -- Leaders of the 27 EU member countries approved the inclusion of Belarus in the bloc's Eastern Partnership program.
- The EU's Neighborhood Nightmare RFE/RL 18 Mar 2009 -- The European Union's most ambitious outreach effort to countries on the territory of the former Soviet Union is in trouble.
- CSTO rapid-reaction force to hold exercises in Kazakhstan in fall RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2009 -- Joint rapid-reaction forces of a post-Soviet regional security bloc will hold military exercises in September in Kazakhstan.
- On Eve Of Partnership Offer, Belarus Stands Up EU RFE/RL 12 Mar 2009 -- EU ambassadors were caught unawares as well.
- Belarus, Russia to conduct large-scale war games in fall RIA Novosti 10 Mar 2009 -- Belarus and Russia will stage a large-scale strategic military exercise in the fall.
- Russia says EU pressures Belarus over S.Ossetia, Abkhazia RIA Novosti 06 Mar 2009 -- Diplomat accused the EU of exerting pressure on Belarus not to recognize former Georgian republics of Abkhazia and S Ossetia.
- Ex-Soviet states plan joint air defense drills Aug. 7- Sept. 18 RIA Novosti 04 Mar 2009 -- Commonwealth of Independent States members will conduct joint air defense exercises from August 7 until September 18.
- U.S. Assesses Russia, Belarus, Caucasus States In Rights Report RFE/RL 26 Feb 2009 -- US Secretary of State Clinton wants report to act as a catalyst for changes that improve conditions.
- EU warns Minsk recognition of Abkhazia could affect ties RIA Novosti 24 Feb 2009 -- Relations between the EU and Belarus will be suspended if Minsk recognizes Abkhazia and South Ossetia as independent.
- EU includes Belarus in Eastern Partnership program RIA Novosti 24 Feb 2009 -- The European Union has announced the inclusion of Belarus in its Eastern Partnership (EaP) program.
- Lukashenko wants to boost EU confidence in Minsk's policies RIA Novosti 19 Feb 2009 -- Belarusian President Lukashenko expressed hope that EU foreign policy chief Solana will be reassured.
- EU foreign policy chief to visit Belarus Feb. 19 RIA Novosti 18 Feb 2009 -- Javier Solana will arrive in Minsk on Thursday to meet with Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko.
- As Economic Crisis Bites, Belarus Tries A Political Thaw RFE/RL 17 Feb 2009 -- "Demonstration of Love" to test whether President Lukashenka serious about new atmosphere of tolerance in Belarus.
- Russian-Belarusian network to be part of CIS air defenses RIA Novosti 10 Feb 2009 -- The integrated Russian-Belarusian regional air defense network will be part of the integrated air defense network of the CIS.
- Strains Visible In CIS Military Alliance RFE/RL 09 Feb 2009 -- Belarus is proving again that the CIS Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO) is not exactly a cohesive military alliance.
- Air defense pact with Russia not response to U.S. shield - Belarus RIA Novosti 09 Feb 2009 -- The signing of a deal between Belarus and Russia is not a response to US plans for a missile shield in Europe.
- Russia loan not linked to Abkhazia, S.Ossetia recognition RIA Novosti 06 Feb 2009 -- Belarus's president: Loan from Russia would have no influence over decision to recognize Abkhazia and S. Ossetia.
- Russia Announces Military Initiatives in Eurasia VOA 04 Feb 2009 -- Three international military initiatives have been announced in the Kremlin over the past 2 days.
- Russian-Led CSTO Grouping Adds Military Dimension RFE/RL 04 Feb 2009 -- A summit of the Collective Security Treaty Organization has produced an agreement to set up a joint rapid-reaction force.
- Post-Soviet security bloc agrees to set up rapid response force RIA Novosti 04 Feb 2009 -- A post-Soviet regional security bloc has agreed to create a collective rapid reaction force.
- Russia, Belarus sign joint air defense agreement RIA Novosti 03 Feb 2009 -- Moscow and Minsk signed agreement on joint protection of the Russia-Belarus Union State's airspace and the creation of an integrated regional air defense network.
- Metropolitan Kirill Elected New Patriarch Of Russian Orthodox Church RFE/RL 27 Jan 2009 -- The Russian Orthodox Church has elected modernizer Metropolitan Kirill, 62, as its new leader.
- Belarus to consider recognizing S.Ossetia, Abkhazia on April 2 RIA Novosti 22 Jan 2009 -- The Belarusian parliament will consider recognizing the independence of South Ossetia and Abkhazia on April 2.
- Russia may build Belarus nuclear plant without tender - Rosatom RIA Novosti 21 Jan 2009 -- Russia will be able to build power plant in Belarus without a tender once an inter-governmental agreement is signed.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list