Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2008 Belarus Special Weapons News
- Belarus may recognize Abkhazia, S.Ossetia in deal with Moscow RIA Novosti 22 Dec 2008 -- Belarus could recognize the independence of disputed Georgian regions in exchange for moderate prices for natural gas.
- Belarus backs Russia's missile plan to counter U.S. shield RIA Novosti 19 Dec 2008 -- The Belarusian president said on Friday he fully supported Russia's idea to deploy short-range missiles in its Kaliningrad exclave in response to a U.S. missile shield in Central Europe.
- Russia's General Staff announces strategic drills with Belarus RIA Novosti 10 Dec 2008 -- Russia's Defense Ministry has decided to intensify combat training in the Armed Forces and to hold joint military exercises with Belarus in 2009, the chief of Russia's General Staff said on Wednesday.
- Belarus scraps obsolete portable air defense systems RIA Novosti 08 Dec 2008 -- Belarus has destroyed its remaining 15 Strela-2M portable air defense systems under an agreement with a European security body, the Defense Ministry said on Monday.
- Belarus says U.S. paper distorted president's missile comments RIA Novosti 17 Nov 2008 -- Belarus accused the Wall Street Journal on Monday of distorting an interview with President Alexander Lukashenko by claiming he planned to deploy Russian missiles to target the U.S. missile shield in Europe.
- US Calls Proposed Deployment of Russian Missiles in Belarus Unhelpful VOA 14 Nov 2008 -- The United States said Friday a proposed deployment of Russian short-range missiles in Belarus would not be helpful to regional security.
- Belarus threatens to target missiles at U.S. shield in Europe RIA Novosti 14 Nov 2008 -- Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has weighed in on the Russia-U.S. dispute over missile defense, telling a U.S. paper his country could deploy tactical missiles capable of striking Central Europe.
- Belarus Hosts Libya's Qaddafi On Historic Regional Visit RFE/RL 03 Nov 2008 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has received his Libyan counterpart, Muammar Qaddafi, for talks in Minsk.
- Ex-Soviet states hold joint air defense drills RIA Novosti 23 Oct 2008 -- Members of the CIS successfully conducted a joint command-and-staff air defense exercise as part of the integrated air defense network.
- Belarus welcomes thaw with EU, stresses brotherhood with Russia RIA Novosti 20 Oct 2008 -- President Lukashenko: Belarus would like to have good relations with the EU, but would not sacrifice ties to Russia.
- Ex-Soviet states to test integrated air defense this week RIA Novosti 20 Oct 2008 -- More than 50 combat aircraft will participate in a joint command-and-staff air defense exercise conducted by members of the CIS.
- Abkhazia, S.Ossetia get observer status in Russia-Belarus union RIA Novosti 17 Oct 2008 -- The parliaments of S Ossetia and Abkhazia given observer status in sessions of the Russia-Belarus Union State.
- Ex-Soviet states to hold joint air defense drills in 2009 RIA Novosti 15 Oct 2008 -- Members of the Commonwealth of Independent States agreed to conduct joint air defense exercises in the summer of 2009.
- Russian combat aircraft to join military drills with Belarus RIA Novosti 15 Oct 2008 -- Russian military aircraft and helicopters will conduct joint exercises with the Belarusian Air Force.
- EU suspends sanctions against Belarus leadership RIA Novosti 13 Oct 2008 -- Foreign ministers of the 27-member European Union agreed to suspend sanctions against the Belarusian leadership for 6 months.
- EU Lawmakers Urge Easing of Belarusian Sanctions VOA 9 Oct 2008 -- European Parliament voted to reexamine sanctions against Belarus, with the aim of eventually easing visa bans against government leaders.
- Belarusian Opposition Backs EU U-Turn On Lukashenka RFE/RL 08 Oct 2008 -- Politicians in Brussels are openly talking of a "shift" in EU policy toward Belarus.
- Recent Belarus Parliamentary Elections Not Up To International Standards VOA 7 Oct 2008 -- What September parliamentary election results mean for the political life in the former Soviet republic.
- Belarus leader will not harm ties with Russia to please West RIA Novosti 30 Sep 2008
- OSCE, US Disappointed by Belarus Election VOA 30 Sep 2008 -- The United States joined Europe in criticizing parliamentary elections in Belarus, noting particularly the failure to keep promises for a transparent vote count.
- Belarus elections fail to meet democratic standards - OSCE RIA Novosti 29 Sep 2008 -- Parliamentary elections in Belarus failed to fully meet OSCE standards, although there were some slight improvements.
- Belarussian Election Shuts Out Opposition VOA 29 Sep 2008 -- Opposition candidates failed to win any of the seats up for grabs in Belarus' parliament elections, in a closely watched race.
- Belarus Election Officials: Opposition Wins No Seats VOA 29 Sep 2008 -- Belarusian officials say the opposition won no seats in Sunday's election which President Lukashenko promised would be fair.
- Russian strategic bombers to join military drills with Belarus RIA Novosti 22 Sep 2008 -- Russian strategic bombers will conduct practice launches of various types of missiles during Russia-Belarus military exercises .
- Georgian conflict to lead to NATO buildup around Belarus RIA Novosti 29 Aug 2008 -- The recent Georgian-South Ossetian conflict will lead to a buildup of NATO forces near Belarusian borders, the country's president said Friday.
- Russia, Belarus to sign unified air defense pact this fall RIA Novosti 19 Aug 2008 -- Russia and Belarus will sign an agreement this fall on creating a unified air defense system.
- Moscow says no nuclear weapons in Belarus to counter U.S. shield RIA Novosti 6 Aug 2008 -- Russia may review military cooperation with Belarus in response to U.S. missile defense plans.
- Russian warplanes ready to join large-scale exercise in Belarus RIA Novosti 5 Aug 2008 -- The Russian Air Force is ready to contribute Su-27 Flanker or MiG-29 Fulcrum fighter jets to an upcoming drill in Belarus.
- Rosatom, Areva make bids to build nuclear reactor in Belarus RIA Novosti 1 Aug 2008 -- The Belarusian government received applications from Rosatom and the French-German firm Areva to participate in a nuclear power plant construction project.
- Russia's Rosatom to bid to build nuclear reactor in Belarus RIA Novosti 29 Jul 2008 -- Russian state nuclear power corporation Rosatom has agreed to take part in a tender for the construction of a nuclear power plant in Belarus, the ex-Soviet republic's energy ministry said Tuesday.
- Belarus secretly delivers Russian warplanes to Sudan - paper RIA Novosti 21 Jul 2008 -- A consignment of Russian fighter jets has been shipped to Sudan from Belarus, in an apparent breach of a UN Security Council resolution banning arms sales to the African state, the Sudan Tribune said.
- Russia's NATO envoy calls for closer ties with Belarus RIA Novosti 01 Jul 2008 -- Russia's envoy to NATO said on Tuesday that Russia-Belarus ties should be strengthened, and that the two countries could never join the Western military alliance.
- U.S. president prolongs sanctions against Belarusian leadership RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2008 -- U.S. President George Bush on Saturday prolonged for at least one year sanctions imposed in June 2006 on a number of Belarusian officials, including President Alexander Lukashenko.
- IAEA to oversee Belarus nuclear plant project RIA Novosti 06 May 2008 -- An IAEA mission will arrive in Belarus on Tuesday for a three-day visit to oversee a project to build the country's first nuclear power plant, the general designer said.
- U.S. embassy in Belarus cuts staff to four RIA Novosti 02 May 2008 -- Eleven American diplomats are scheduled to leave Belarus May 3 leaving a total of four staff at the diplomatic mission, a spokesman for the U.S. embassy said on Friday.
- US Calls Expulsion of Diplomats from Belarus 'Unjustified, Unwarranted' VOA 30 Apr 2008 -- The U.S. State Department Wednesday called the Belarus government's decision to expel 10 U.S. diplomats unjustified and unwarranted
- Belarus: Lukashenka Abandons Courtship Of West RFE/RL 30 Apr 2008 -- Dissidents are being rounded up. American diplomats are being kicked out
- Belarus hands U.S. diplomat personae non gratae list RIA Novosti 30 Apr 2008 -- The Belarusian Foreign Ministry summoned on Wednesday the U.S. charge d'affaires in Minsk, Jonathan Moore, and handed him a list of U.S. diplomats considered personae non gratae by the former Soviet state.
- Russian defense minister to visit radar site in Belarus RIA Novosti 28 Apr 2008 -- Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov will visit a Russian radar site during his April 29-30 trip to Belarus, the ministry said in a statement on Monday.
- Belarus wants U.S. to cut diplomatic contingent down to five RIA Novosti 24 Apr 2008 -- Belarus has demanded that the United States cut the number of its diplomats down to five, in protest against sanctions against the Belarusian petrochemical company, a U.S. Embassy source said on Thursday.
- Lukashenko says NATO expansion inevitable RIA Novosti 03 Apr 2008 -- Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko said on Thursday that the admission of Ukraine and Georgia to NATO was inevitable, and that Belarus should strengthen its defense capacity accordingly.
- Belarus advises U.S. to reduce embassy staff to seven - ministry RIA Novosti 02 Apr 2008 -- Belarus has cut its diplomatic staff in its embassy in the U.S. to seven and is advising the U.S. to follow suit, a deputy Belarusian foreign minister said Wednesday.
- Belarus offers olive branch to U.S., but condemns pressure RIA Novosti 28 Mar 2008 -- The Belarusian foreign minister said on Friday that Minsk is willing to develop friendly relations with the United States if Washington stops pressuring the country.
- Belarus: U.S. Embassy Cuts Staff Amid Diplomatic Row RFE/RL 26 Mar 2008 -- The United States has agreed to cut its embassy staff in Minsk by almost half at the request of Belarusian authorities following the U.S. ambassador's forced departure from Minsk and accusations that the embassy was involved in spying activities.
- Belarus Says It Has Uncovered US Spy Network VOA 25 Mar 2008 -- Belarus's intelligence agency says it has uncovered a network of U.S. spies working in the ex-Soviet republic.
- U.S. to cut diplomatic presence in Belarus amid growing tension RIA Novosti 25 Mar 2008 -- The United States will reduce the number of its embassy staff in Belarus in line with Minsk's demands as bilateral relations hit a new low, a top U.S. diplomat in the ex-Soviet state said on Tuesday.
- Belarus advises U.S. to halve number of diplomats in Minsk RIA Novosti 20 Mar 2008 -- Belarus's Foreign Ministry has advised the U.S. to halve the number of its diplomats in Minsk, ministry spokesman Andrei Popov said Thursday.
- Belarus Demands U.S. Ambassador Leave Minsk RFE/RL 07 Mar 2008 -- Relations between Belarus and the United States worsened today when the government of President Alyaksandr Lukashenka recalled its ambassador from Washington and demanded that the U.S. envoy leave Minsk.
- Belarus advises U.S. ambassador to leave over sanctions RIA Novosti 07 Mar 2008 -- Belarus advised the United States ambassador to leave the capital, Minsk, and recalled its ambassador from Washington for consultations, the Foreign Ministry said on Friday.
- Belarus plans to buy Russian S-400 air defense systems RIA Novosti 21 Feb 2008 -- Belarus is negotiating the purchase of advanced S-400 air defense systems from Russia, the country's defense minister said on Thursday.
- Russia, Belarus defense chiefs sign communications deal RIA Novosti 19 Jan 2008 -- The defense ministers of Russia and Belarus signed an agreement on Saturday to set up a communications system between regional groupings of the countries' Armed Forces.
- Belarus considers buying advanced Russian air defense system RIA Novosti 16 Jan 2008 -- Belarus is looking to buy the advanced S-400 Triumf (SA-21 Growler) air defense system from Russia, the chairman of the Belarusian State Military-Industrial Committee said on Wednesday.
- Belarusian leader calls for swifter progress on nuclear plant RIA Novosti 15 Jan 2008 -- Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko said on Tuesday he was not satisfied with the speed of progress on a project to build the country's first nuclear power plant.
- Belarus sets up body to oversee nuclear plant project RIA Novosti 09 Jan 2008 -- Belarus has set up a state-controlled directorate to oversee a project to build the country's first nuclear power plant, a deputy energy minister said on Wednesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list