Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2021 - Belarus Special Weapons News
- Belarus Blocks Pro-Kremlin Russian News Agency Regnum RFE/RL 31 Oct 2021 -- The authorities in Belarus have blocked access to the website of the pro-Kremlin Russian news agency Regnum.
- U.S. Says Belarus Forces Closure Of Embassy Aid Office RFE/RL 29 Oct 2021 -- The U.S. Embassy in Minsk said on October 29 that Belarusian authorities were "forcing the closure" of its humanitarian and outreach programs that have benefited thousands of people in the authoritarian country.
- Belarus Blocks Three News Sites In Latest Crackdown On 'Extremist' Media RFE/RL 29 Oct 2021 -- Belarusian authorities have blocked access to Germany's state-backed international broadcaster Deutsche Welle and Current Time, the Russian-language network run by RFE/RL in cooperation with VOA, amid an intensifying crackdown on the media and civil society following last year's disputed presidential election.
- Rights Watchdog Slams Belarus's Politically Motivated Crackdown On Lawyers RFE/RL 27 Oct 2021 -- Human Rights Watch (HRW) has denounced the "arbitrary" suspension and disbarment of more than two dozen Belarusian lawyers amid an ongoing crackdown on civil society following last year's disputed presidential election, saying the measures targeted lawyers who had publicly spoken out about human rights violations and defended clients in politically motivated cases.
- Belarus Carries Out Wave Of Detentions For Subscribing To 'Extremist' Telegram Channels RFE/RL 26 Oct 2021 -- Belarusian police have detained dozens of people in the southeastern city of Homel on charges of subscribing to "extremist" social-media channels in the latest crackdown on freedoms in the country.
- Germany, Poland Bolster Borders Amid Migrant Surge From Belarus RFE/RL 25 Oct 2021 -- Poland has announced plans to increase the number of soldiers and guards at its border with Belarus to 10,000 to help stem the flow of illegal migrants the European Union has accused Minsk of facilitating in retaliation for sanctions against Belarus leader Alyaksandr Lukashenka.
- Human rights situation in Belarus: joint statement UK FCDO 25 Oct 2021 -- On behalf of 46 countries, the Lithuanian Permanent Representative to the United Nations Rytis Paulauskas gave a cross-regional statement at Third Committee.
- Mask Mandates Canceled In Belarus In Move Criticized By Doctors RFE/RL 23 Oct 2021 -- Belarusian authorities have abolished mask mandates less than two weeks after they were introduced and a day after the country registered a record number of new coronavirus infections.
- Conditions worsen for stranded migrants along Belarus-EU border UN News 22 Oct 2021 -- At least eight people have died along the border between Belarus and the European Union, where multiple groups of asylum-seekers, refugees and migrants have been stranded for weeks in increasingly dire conditions.
- EU Leaders Green-Light Sanctions On Belarus Over Illegal Migration RFE/RL 22 Oct 2021 -- European Union leaders have backed new sanctions on Belarus to pressure authoritarian ruler Alyaksandr Lukashenka to halt the flow of illegal migrants that the bloc says amounts to a hybrid attack.
- Poland Deploys 6,000 Soldiers to Guard Border With Belarus Sputnik 19 Oct 2021 -- Warsaw deployed nearly 6,000 Polish soldiers to guard the border with Belarus amid the ongoing migration crisis, Polish Defense Minister Mariusz Blaszczak said on Tuesday.
- EU Ministers Meet Amid Talk Of New Measures Against Belarus Over Migrants RFE/RL 18 Oct 2021 -- The European Union's foreign ministers have expressed support for new measures to halt the flow of illegal migrants that the bloc accuses Belarus of sending in retaliation for sanctions against authoritarian leader Alyaksandr Lukashenka and his regime over its crackdown on the opposition.
- Belarus Kicks Out French Ambassador As Relations With EU Deteriorate RFE/RL 18 Oct 2021 -- Belarus has kicked out French Ambassador to Belarus Nicolas de Lacoste amid poor relations with the European Union over strongman Alyaksandr Lukashenka's brutal rule.
- Belarus Border Crisis Intensifies As Germany Reports Huge Jump In Migrants, Poland Plans 'Barrier' RFE/RL 13 Oct 2021 -- German authorities have complained of a flood of illegal migrants via the "Belarus route" while Polish officials have announced plans to permanently strengthen the border with Belarus as a long-running border crisis mounts between EU states and the regime in Minsk.
- Polish Government Approves Construction of Border Wall on Frontier With Belarus Sputnik 13 Oct 2021 -- Warsaw and its allies have spent months accusing Minsk of deliberately trying to push illegal immigrants from third world countries into Poland. Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has denied the allegations and said that crushing Western sanctions against his country have made it impossible to continue to afford airtight border controls.
- Belarus To Close New York Consulate 'At U.S. Request' RFE/RL 12 Oct 2021 -- Belarus's consulate in New York City will close on October 21 at the request of the United States, according to a statement posted on the consulate's website.
- Warsaw Says Shots, Likely Blanks, Fired From Belarus At Polish Troops RFE/RL 08 Oct 2021 -- Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki has voiced support for the troops guarding the Belarusian frontier from illegal migration after reports that Belarusian forces allegedly fired shots - possibly blank ammunition - at Polish servicemen.
- Baltic States Accuse Belarus of Facilitating Migration Across Their Borders VOA 08 Oct 2021 -- European ministers expressed concern Friday over the growing number of migrants illegally crossing from Belarus into several Baltic states, saying Minsk is intentionally facilitating their crossing to politically destabilize those countries and distract from human rights abuses at home by the Lukashenko regime.
- In CNN Interview, Lukashenka Rejects Reports Of Police Abuses, Torture RFE/RL 01 Oct 2021 -- Belarusian leader Alyaksandr Lukashenka rejected any suggestion that he should apologize for the harsh police crackdown and sweeping arrests that targeted protesters in the wake of last year's disputed election.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list