Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2021 - Belarus Special Weapons News
- Official Says Vote On Belarus Constitutional Amendments May Be In Early 2022 RFE/RL 27 Apr 2021 -- Belarusian authorities expect to hold a referendum early next year on the constitutional amendments promised by authoritarian leader Alyaksandr Lukashenka amid mass protests after a presidential election last year that opposition leaders and the West say was rigged.
- Lukashenka Said Ready To Sign Contingency Decree On Presidential Powers RFE/RL 24 Apr 2021 -- Belarusian state media say Alyaksandr Lukashenka has said he will sign a decree that would vest presidential powers in the country's Security Council if he is unable to function as president.
- Meeting with President of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko President of Russia 22 Apr 2021
- In Moscow Talks, Putin And Lukashenka Praise Progress On Union State RFE/RL 22 Apr 2021 -- Belarusian strongman Alyaksandr Lukashenka has met in Moscow with Russian President Vladimir Putin, seeking Russia's continued support amid ongoing protests triggered by last year's widely disputed presidential election.
- U.S. Revokes License Allowing Transactions With Belarus State Firms RFE/RL 19 Apr 2021 -- The U.S. State Department said on April 19 it would not renew a special license authorizing transactions with nine state-owned Belarusian companies.
- Lukashenka Claims He Was Target Of U.S.-Backed Assassination Plot, But Offers No Evidence RFE/RL 18 Apr 2021 -- Belarusian strongman Alyaksandr Lukashenka has claimed he was the target of a U.S.-backed assassination plot, and Russian intelligence said that two Belarusians detained in Moscow this week were allegedly linked to the plot.
- Belarus Lawmakers Approve Second Reading Of Draconian Bills To Limit Freedoms RFE/RL 16 Apr 2021 -- Belarusian lawmakers have approved a second reading of several amendments to legislation severely restricting civil rights and the free flow of information amid a crackdown on the country's pro-democracy movement.
- U.S.-Belarusian Lawyer 'Abducted' In Moscow, Transferred To Minsk RFE/RL 14 Apr 2021 -- Yuras Zyankovich, a Belarusian lawyer who also has U.S. citizenship, has been detained in Moscow and transferred to a detention center in Minsk amid an ongoing crackdown on dissent in Belarus following a disputed presidential election last year.
- Belarusian KGB Detains Leader Of Opposition Party, Political Analyst RFE/RL 13 Apr 2021 -- The Belarusian Committee of State Security (KGB) has confirmed the detention of the chairman of the opposition Belarusian Popular Front (BNF), Ryhor Kastusyou, and noted political analyst Alyaksandr Fyaduta amid an ongoing crackdown on dissent following a disputed presidential election last year.
- In Latest Salvo Against Media, Belarus Takes Euronews Off The Air RFE/RL 12 Apr 2021 -- Belarusian authorities have stopped the European news network Euronews from broadcasting inside the country amid a campaign to muzzle independent media and journalists as part of the government's crackdown on dissent following a disputed presidential election that returned strongman Alyaksandr Lukashenka to power.
- Tsikhanouskaya Associates Reject Charges As Trial Starts In Belarus RFE/RL 12 Apr 2021 -- Four associates of Belarusian opposition leader Svyatlana Tsikhanouskaya have pleaded not guilty to charges of organizing protests against authoritarian ruler Alyaksandr Lukashenka as their trial started on April 12 in the southeastern city of Homel.
- Belarus Lawmakers Approve Amendments That Severely Restrict Civil Rights, Media RFE/RL 09 Apr 2021 -- MINSK -- Belarusian lawmakers have approved several amendments to legislation that severely restricts civil rights and the free flow of information amid a crackdown on protests challenging the official results of a presidential election that handed authoritarian ruler Alyaksandr Lukashenka his sixth consecutive term.
- Well-Known Belarusian Rights Activist Remains In Detention, Faces Criminal Charge RFE/RL 09 Apr 2021 -- Well-known human rights activist Tatsyana Hatsura-Yavorskaya, one of the founders of the Belarusian civil rights group Zvyano (Chain), is being held in a detention center on an unspecified charge.
- Russian, Belarusian Currencies Fall As Political, Diplomatic Tensions Rise RFE/RL 08 Apr 2021 -- The closely linked Russian and Belarusian currencies have weakened sharply amid an ongoing slew of seemingly unrelated political and diplomatic challenges for the two post-Soviet neighbors.
- End police brutality and impunity in Belarus, rights experts urge UN News 01 Apr 2021 -- The continued pattern of police brutality and impunity in Belarus must end, UN rights experts said on Thursday, expressing alarm over excessive use of force against protesters and repression of journalists in the country.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list