Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2023 - Australia Special Weapons News
- RAAF engineers build strong links in Mongolia Australia DOD 31 Aug 2023 -- Seven aviators from the Royal Australian Air Force deployed on a civil-engineering program in central Mongolia as part of Exercise Pacific Angel 23 this month.
- First contacts in Indonesian skies Australia DOD 31 Aug 2023 -- For the first time, RAAF has conducted air-to-air refuelling with Indonesia.
- Common ground reinforces bonds Australia DOD 31 Aug 2023 -- As Australia hosted key partners India, Japan and the United States for Exercise Malabar, the four navies were reminded of how much they have in common.
- Australia on the move to enhance partnerships Australia DOD 30 Aug 2023 -- The Australian Defence Force has reached a historic agreement that will make it easier to transport its people and equipment around the globe.
- Australian Defence Force to purchase smart sea mines Australia DOD 29 Aug 2023 -- The Australian Defence Force (ADF) will purchase new, smart sea mines, which will reinvigorate Defence's maritime mining capability, and are deployable from submarines, ships and aircraft.
- Defence supports Pacific Partners to combat illegal fishing in the region Australia DOD 29 Aug 2023 -- The Australian Defence Force (ADF) has conducted 17 missions and patrolled 686,000 square kilometres in an operation to combat illegal fishing in the Pacific.
- Australian armour in Indonesia for exercise Australia DOD 29 Aug 2023 -- It has been a long journey for the 1st Armoured Regiment's contribution of M1A1 Abrams main battle tanks and support vehicles to Exercise Super Garuda Shield in Indonesia.
- UPDATE: MARINE ROTATIONAL FORCE - DARWIN MV-22B OSPREY TILTROTOR AIRCRAFT CRASH USMC News Release 28 Aug 2023 -- Marine Rotational Force - Darwin can confirm the names of those killed in the U.S. Marine Corps MV-22B Osprey crash on Melville Island, north of Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia, on 27 August 2023 at approximately 9:30 a.m. The cause of the crash remains under investigation.
- Investigations Continue into Fatal US Military Aircraft Crash in Australia VOA 28 Aug 2023 -- Several investigations are underway after three U.S. Marines died in an aircraft crash during military drills off the coast of Darwin in Australia's Northern Territory.
- Australia welcomes Japan's first international F-35A deployment Australia DOD 28 Aug 2023 -- The Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) has welcomed a visit by Japan Air Self-Defense Force (JASDF) F-35A Lightning II aircraft and personnel to Australia, marking the first time Japan has deployed these aircraft overseas.
- Hunting for fish pirates Australia DOD 28 Aug 2023 -- Funafuti Tower on the tiny Polynesian Island of Tuvalu clears the runway for a RAAF KA350 King Air to depart.
- Statement from Deputy Prime Minister, Richard Marles, regarding US Marine Corps Osprey incident Australia DOD 27 Aug 2023 -- Earlier today a United States Marine Corps MV-22 Osprey crashed on Melville Island, north of Darwin, while supporting Exercise Predators Run 2023.
- Marine Rotational Force - Darwin MV-22B Osprey tiltrotor aircraft crash USMC News Release 27 Aug 2023 -- Marine Rotational Force - Darwin can confirm a U.S. Marine Corps MV-22B Osprey crash on Melville Island, north of Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia, while transporting troops during a routine training exercise
- 3 US Marines dead, 5 in 'serious condition' after aircraft crash in Australia Press TV 27 Aug 2023 -- A US military aircraft has crashed on a remote island north of Australia while taking part in war games, leaving three dead and 20 others injured.
- Joint statement Prime Minister of Australia 27 Aug 2023 -- Earlier today a United States Marine Corps MV-22 Osprey crashed on Melville Island, north of Darwin, while supporting Exercise Predators Run 2023.
- Philippines, Australia recommit to joint patrols in disputed waterway Radio Free Asia 25 Aug 2023 -- The Philippines and Australia said Friday that they would jointly patrol areas within South China Sea waters claimed by the Southeast Asian nation, as they showcased their capabilities in fighting off a potential invasion.
- New lease of life for aircraft engine testing Australia DOD 25 Aug 2023 -- TAE Aerospace will upgrade the test system for the F414 engines that power the RAAF's Super Hornet and Growler aircraft.
- Australian agencies attend Pacific Security Chief's Meeting Australia DOD 25 Aug 2023 -- Pacific security leaders have met in Koror, Palau, to enhance information sharing and interoperability while strengthening relationships between partner nations.
- Joint Communique of the Fifth Annual Joint Heads of Pacific Security Australia DOD 25 Aug 2023 -- Law enforcement, national security, and military leaders, including police, customs, and immigration from across the Pacific, met in Koror, Palau, for the fifth annual Joint Heads of Pacific Security (JHoPS) Meeting from 23-24 August 2023.
- Exercise Thai Boomerang commences in Thailand Australia DOD 24 Aug 2023 -- The Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) has deployed 120 personnel and six aircraft this week to Thailand to participate in Exercise Thai Boomerang 23.
- Pacific partners ensure a smooth delivery Australia DOD 24 Aug 2023 -- Australian Defence Vessel Reliant, HMPNGS Cape Gloucester and the Australian Army's 3rd Combat Engineer Regiment have transferred essential stores to Manus Island in support of upcoming military Exercise Puk Puk in September.
- A hosting first for HMAS Adelaide Australia DOD 24 Aug 2023 -- A US Army special operations Chinook, from the 'Night Stalkers' regiment, conducted deck landings on HMAS Adelaide as part of Exercise Balance Action.
- Units learn from each other Australia DOD 24 Aug 2023 -- Soldiers of the 9th Battalion, Royal Queensland Regiment (9RQR), and the 6th Engineer Support Regiment (6ESR) conducted a joint unit training activity last month.
- ADF specialists support Pacific Partnership 2023 Australia DOD 23 Aug 2023 -- The Australian Defence Force has commenced support to Pacific Partnership 2023, with specialist personnel deploying to five countries across the Indo-Pacific region from August to December.
- Exercise Malabar deepens regional military cooperation Australia DOD 23 Aug 2023 -- Australia, India, Japan and the United States successfully conducted Exercise Malabar in Sydney and across Australia's east coast from 10 to 21 August.
- Combined air assault a success Australia DOD 23 Aug 2023 -- More than 600 soldiers from the ADF, Philippines and US conducted an air assault near Rizal, the Philippines, during Exercise Alon as part of Indo-Pacific Endeavour.
- Australia supports security exercise on Korean Peninsula Australia DOD 21 Aug 2023 -- Australia has deployed a contingent of 26 planning and support staff to the Republic of Korea to participate in Exercise Ulchi Freedom Shield. The contingent comprises of 23 Australian Defence Force (ADF) personnel and three civilian policy advisers.
- Missiles to power up ADF's range Australia DOD 21 Aug 2023 -- The acquisition of some of the most powerful and technologically advanced weapons systems the ADF has fielded will enhance Australia's ability to target enemies at longer ranges.
- A two-way exchange Australia DOD 21 Aug 2023 -- The spirit of regional cooperation was alive and well as Australia's annual flagship engagement activity, Exercise Indo-Pacific Endeavour 2023 (IPE23) visited Thailand from August 14-18.
- Foreign Secretary's meeting with Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong UK FCDO 21 Aug 2023 -- The Foreign Secretary and Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong met in Sydney today (21 August).
- Japan, US, Australia to Conduct Joint Naval Drills in South China Sea - Reports Sputnik 18 Aug 2023 -- Japan, the United States and Australia will conduct joint naval exercises in the South China Sea on August 23, a Japanese news agency reported on Friday, citing sources.
- Australia - M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS) DSCA 18 Aug 2023 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of Australia of M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS) and related equipment for an estimated cost of $975 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- Boxer's fighting season of firsts Australia DOD 08 Aug 2023 -- Sitting in a cavalry screen far forward of 7th Brigade Battle Groups, the Boxer combat reconnaissance vehicle surveilled Objective Otter during Exercise Talisman Sabre 2023 (TS23) as the 'eyes and ears' of the 1st Australian Division.
- Tactical connection Australia DOD 08 Aug 2023 -- It was a road move like no other for 1st Combat Communications Squadron (1CCS), taking the route by road from Adelaide to RAAF Base Curtin in the far north of Western Australia for Exercise Talisman Sabre.
- Naval forces amassed in Australian waters Australia DOD 08 Aug 2023 -- The largest massing of naval capability in Australian waters in recent years occurred when the Exercise Talisman Sabre 23 fleet assembled for combined training.
- Talisman Sabre wraps up Australia DOD 08 Aug 2023 -- After two weeks of high-end warfighting, Exercise Talisman Sabre 2023 (TS23) has officially closed.
- U.S. Navy SEALs, Australian Special Forces conclude Talisman Sabre 2023 US Navy 07 Aug 2023 -- U.S. Naval Special Warfare (NSW) forces deployed in support of U.S. Special Operations Command Pacific participated in Exercise Talisman Sabre from July 17 to August 3, 2023. NSW forces worked alongside Australian special operations forces (SOF) from the Army's 2nd Commando Regiment.
- Australia Hopeful China Will End Trade Sanctions VOA 07 Aug 2023 -- Australia is hoping its trade dispute with China, which has affected billions of dollars in commodity exports, could be coming to an end after Beijing lifted tariffs on barley.
- UK Troops Partake in Largest Military Drill Between UK, Australia & US Sputnik 05 Aug 2023 -- More than 150 service members of the United Kingdom have participated in Exercise Talisman Sabre, the largest military exercise between the armed forces of Australia, the United States and the UK, the UK Defense Ministry said Friday.
- U.S., Australian Air Force Units Emphasize Interoperability DoD News 04 Aug 2023 -- For the U.S. and Australian pilots and ground crews operating out of a secluded base in the far reaches of Australia's Northern Territory, Exercise Talisman Sabre 23 has provided a critical opportunity to train for the future of air warfare.
- U.S. Nuclear-Powered Submarine Visits Western Australia, First Since AUKUS Announcement US Navy 04 Aug 2023 -- USS North Carolina (SSN 777) docked at HMAS Stirling, a naval base in Western Australia, today following participation in Talisman Sabre 2023.
- Resolution of barley dispute with China Australia MFA 04 Aug 2023 -- Today the Australian Government was notified that from tomorrow, China will remove the 80.5 per cent anti-dumping and countervailing duties on Australian barley.
- China's decision on Australian barley tariffs 'conducive' to bilateral trade; Canberra urged to be 'pragmatic' Global Times 04 Aug 2023 -- China's Ministry of Commerce (MOFCOM) on Friday announced to end anti-dumping and anti-subsidy duties on barley imported from Australia starting from Saturday after the change in China's barley market has made it unnecessary for these duties.
- USAF, RAAF conduct bilateral training during Talisman Sabre 23 US Air Force 03 Aug 2023 -- The U.S. Air Force and Royal Australian Air Force executed numerous high-end, multi-domain flying missions from bare bases across the Northern Territory and Western Australia during Talisman Sabre 2023.
- Troops From 3 Nations Make Amphibious Landing in Australia DoD News 03 Aug 2023 -- Light swells lapped the white, sandy beach of Stanage Bay on the Capricorn Coast of Queensland, Australia.
- PNG's first Talisman Sabre Australia DOD 03 Aug 2023 -- Deep in the Australian bush soldiers from Papua New Guinea (PNG) alongside Australian soldiers are role playing enemy forces, remaining concealed while allied forces approach at Townsville Field Training Area.
- Long-range missile fire enhanced Australia DOD 03 Aug 2023 -- Exercise Highball has advanced understanding of how the ADF will employ long-range land-based precision rocket and missile fires in the land and maritime domains.
- Army missile system on target in first firing Australia DOD 03 Aug 2023 -- The Army tactical missile system (ATACMS) has been fired in Australia for the first time, demonstrating the type of capability Australia will need to defend its northern borders.
- Pacific commitment adds depth Australia DOD 03 Aug 2023 -- His Majesty's Armed Forces - Tonga Contingent Commander, Lieutenant Colonel Tau Aholelei waited to rendezvous with his soldiers who were sat in an armoured cavalry screen in Townsville Field Training Area.
- Collaborative refuelling in the northern skies Australia DOD 03 Aug 2023 -- Flying high over northern Australian skies, air-to-air refuelling is an essential component of Exercise Talisman Sabre 2023 as a force multiplier to enable mission success.
- Global joint forces working as one Australia DOD 03 Aug 2023 -- Seven nations have worked to overcome the vast distances of the Indo-Pacific during Exercise Mobility Guardian.
- Revolutionising battlefield communications Australia DOD 03 Aug 2023 -- In the dynamic landscape of modern warfare, effective communication plays a crucial role in maintaining operational efficiency and situational awareness.
- AUKUS nuke submarine deal a threat to global security, intl NPT regime: report Global Times 03 Aug 2023 -- The AUKUS nuclear submarine deal, which is rooted in "great power competition," poses a serious risk to regional and global security and the international non-proliferation regime, says a joint report by a Chinese and a Russian think tank at a seminar held in Vienna.
- US Conducts First Ever Live Firing of ATACMS Missile in Australia - Reports Sputnik 03 Aug 2023 -- The US military test-fired an MGM-140 ATACMS long-range tactical surface-to-surface ballistic missile for the first time in Australia during the Talisman Sabre 2023 exercise in late July, the Australian Defence Magazine reported on Thursday.
- Australia rebukes US for refusing to drop case against Assange Press TV 02 Aug 2023 -- Australia has rebuked the United States for the latter's refusal to cease its prosecution of Julian Assange, saying it would persist in its efforts to have Washington drop its legal proceedings against the WikiLeaks founder.
- Expeditionary Strike Group Readies Marines to Land in Australia DoD News 02 Aug 2023 -- The amphibious assault ship USS America was abuzz with activity as Marines of the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit prepared to make an amphibious assault from the Coral Sea in Queensland, Australia.
- Sleepy air base awakens Australia DOD 02 Aug 2023 -- In the remote northern corner of Western Australia sits RAAF Base Curtin, a contingency air base is maintained with a staff of barely 10 people for most of the year.
- Australian Lawmakers Highlight Social Media's Threat to National Security VOA 02 Aug 2023 -- A parliamentary committee investigating foreign interference in Australia has found that Chinese apps TikTok and WeChat could present major security risks.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list