Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2023 - Australia Special Weapons News
- Partnership takes flight over northern waters Australia DOD 31 May 2023 -- Flying together over Australia's northern oceans, aircrew from the Royal Australian Air Force's 11 Squadron and 5 Squadron from Tentara Nasional Indonesia - Angkatan Udara (TNI-AU) conducted maritime surveillance missions as part of Exercise Albatross AusIndo.
- Australia Has No Future: International Affairs Analyst of DPRK KCNA 29 May 2023 -- Ri Jong Su, an international affairs analyst, issued the following article titled "Australia obsessed with pro-U.S. sycophancy has no future" on May 28:
- Transcript of Special briefing by Foreign Secretary on Prime Minister's visit to Australia (May 24, 2023) India MEA 27 May 2023
- AUKUS partners demonstrate advanced capabilities AI trial Australia DOD 26 May 2023 -- AUKUS partners successfully demonstrated a trial of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Autonomy under the Advanced Capabilities pillar (Pillar II).
- AUKUS Partners Demonstrate Advanced Capabilities Trial DoD 26 May 2023 -- Trilateral AUKUS partners successfully demonstrated a trial of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Autonomy under the Advanced Capabilities pillar (Pillar II), April 28 in the UK.
- U.S. Partnership With U.K., Australia Enhances Security DoD News 25 May 2023 -- In September 2021, the U.S., Australia and the U.K. announced a new partnership, AUKUS, meant to strengthen alliances and security, especially in the Indo-Pacific. In March, plans for moving forward on the first pillar of that new partnership were announced. This involves delivering a conventionally-armed, nuclear-powered submarine capability to Australia.
- Prime Minister's meeting with Prime Minister of Australia India MEA 24 May 2023
- Prime Minister's meeting with Governor-General of Australia India MEA 24 May 2023
- Leader of Opposition of Australia called on Prime Minister India MEA 24 May 2023
- Diesel engine contract ensures capability is always ready to deploy Australia DOD 24 May 2023 -- Defence has signed a contract with Penske Australia, which will ensure local industry support for diesel engine sustainment activities to enable the Australian Defence Force (ADF) to deploy where and when needed.
- Opening remarks - Bilateral meeting with the Prime Minister of India Prime Minister of Australia 24 May 2023
- Celebrating Australia-India ties with Prime Minister Modi Prime Minister of Australia 24 May 2023 -- Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Prime Minister Narendra Modi met today in Sydney for bilateral discussions that deepened the friendship between our two nations.
- Ukrainian recruits fast learners Australia DOD 23 May 2023 -- The third rotation of Ukrainian recruits has commenced initial training with Australian Army soldiers as part of Operation Kudu in the United Kingdom.
- A rendezvous at sea and above Australia DOD 23 May 2023 -- HMAS Anzac recently rendezvoused with US Navy destroyer USS Chung-Hoon, sailing in company and conducting flying operations in the South China Sea.
- Ship's mileage is out of this world Australia DOD 23 May 2023 -- It's equivalent to a trip to the moon and back and 23 times around the circumference of the Earth.
- Live-fire activity to boost strike power Australia DOD 22 May 2023 -- Starting today, RAAF Base Townsville will have an influx of Air Force aircraft and activity for this year's Exercise Black Dagger.
- Press conference - Hiroshima, Japan Prime Minister of Australia 21 May 2023
- Bilateral meeting with the Prime Minister of Japan Prime Minister of Australia 21 May 2023
- Quad Leaders' Summit opening remarks Prime Minister of Australia 20 May 2023
- 2023 Quad Leaders' Summit Prime Minister of Australia 20 May 2023 -- On 20 May, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese met with Quad Leaders Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi of India, Prime Minister Kishida Fumio of Japan, and President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. of the United States, in Hiroshima for the 2023 Quad Leaders' Summit.
- Remarks by President Biden, Prime Minister Kishida, Prime Minister Modi, and Prime Minister Albanese at the Third In-Person Quad Leaders' Summit The White House 20 May 2023
- Quad Leaders' Vision Statement - Enduring Partners for the Indo-Pacific The White House 20 May 2023
- Quad Leaders' Joint Statement The White House 20 May 2023
- Quad Leaders' Summit Fact Sheet The White House 20 May 2023
- Quad Summit at G7 Reaffirms Support for Indo-Pacific VOA 20 May 2023 -- U.S. President Joe Biden met on the sidelines of the G-7 meeting Saturday in Hiroshima with the other three heads of state at the Quad Leader's Summit.
- Australia-United States Joint Leaders' Statement - An Alliance for our Times The White House 20 May 2023
- Remarks by President Biden and Prime Minister Anthony Albanese of Australia Before Bilateral Meeting The White House 20 May 2023
- Doorstop interview - Hiroshima Prime Minister of Australia 19 May 2023
- Australia stands with Ukraine and the G7 against Russia's invasion Prime Minister of Australia 19 May 2023 -- Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Foreign Minister Penny Wong today announced financial sanctions and an export ban, targeting sectors of economic and strategic significance to Russia.
- Centre for Advanced Defence Research and Enterprise Opens Australia DOD 19 May 2023 -- The Australian Defence Force's ability to operate safely in hazardous environments is being enhanced with a new national research and innovation centre dedicated to solving Operating in Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear Environments (OCE) problems.
- Spartan proven ready for more Australia DOD 19 May 2023 -- It was Friday afternoon when the call was made for RAAF Base Amberley-based 35 Squadron to mobilise and move to RAAF Base Townsville, testing the squadron's tactical readiness to plan, deploy and fly missions at short notice, for Exercise Ready Spartan Prove.
- USS Canberra Will Join the U.S. Fleet in Australia to Honor Namesake US Navy 18 May 2023 -- The future USS Canberra (LCS 30) will join the U.S. Navy active fleet on July 22 with the U.S. Navy's first international commissioning ceremony at the Royal Australian Navy Fleet Base East in Sydney, Australia.
- Army shows flexibility during exercise Australia DOD 18 May 2023 -- The Australian Army deployed a range of capabilities on Exercise Croix du Sud, the French Armed Forces-led humanitarian assistance and disaster relief training activity in New Caledonia.
- Joint Statement on the official visit to the Philippines of Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong Australia MFA 18 May 2023 -- At the invitation of Secretary for Foreign Affairs Enrique A. Manalo, Senator the Honorable Penny Wong, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Australia, undertook an official visit to the Philippines on 16-18 May 2023.
- Analysts Say Biden Australia Trip Cancellation Damages US Credibility VOA 18 May 2023 -- Analysts say U.S. President Joe Biden's decision to postpone a trip to Australia is a major blow to Canberra. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will still make the trip to Australia next week, even though the Quad leaders' summit at the Sydney Opera House has been canceled.
- Postponing Biden's Pacific Trip Raises Criticism VOA 18 May 2023 -- Biden administration officials pushed back Wednesday against criticism over the decision to postpone a visit to Australia and a historic trip to Papua New Guinea, the first by an U.S. president.
- Australia urges ASEAN to not 'lessen' territorial rights in sea-conduct negotiations Radio Free Asia 17 May 2023 -- Australia's top diplomat urged ASEAN on Wednesday to be vigilant in upholding the territorial rights of member-states that have claims in the South China Sea as the bloc negotiates with China for a maritime code of conduct.
- Biden cancels Papua New Guinea stopover in setback for Pacific influence Radio Free Asia 17 May 2023 -- U.S. President Joe Biden has shelved his planned visits next week to Papua New Guinea and Australia, an apparent setback for efforts to show a renewed commitment to island states in the Pacific where China has made inroads over several decades.
- Biden skips two legs of trip, erodes US credibility Global Times 17 May 2023 -- The US President Joe Biden decided to curtail his upcoming trip to the Asia-Pacific by canceling a visit to Australia and Papua New Guinea due to the ongoing debt ceiling negotiations in Washington, which, some Chinese experts said reflects that Washington only treats its so-called allies and partners as chess pieces and instrument, and when its domestic issues override its political agenda, it easily turns back on its commitment.
- Skills tested in multiple domains Australia DOD 17 May 2023 -- Conducting a joint, combined exercise across land, air and maritime domains involves skilled operators and complex technology.
- Biden Cancels PNG, Australia Trips for Talks Over US Debt Ceiling VOA 17 My 2023 -- President Joe Biden canceled his trips to Papua New Guinea and Australia next week to continue debt ceiling talks with congressional leaders that he held Tuesday at the White House.
- Units train to operate as one Australia DOD 16 May 2023 -- Exercise Viper Strike was held this month to enhance the ability of different units to work with each other in a combat environment.
- Australia doesn't want to decouple from China -- Trade Minister Don Farrell People's Daily 16 May 2023 -- "Australia doesn't want to decouple from China. What Australia wants to do is to improve our trading relationship with China," said Australian Trade Minister Don Farrell during an exclusive interview with Xinhua recently.
- Planning key to success of Talisman Sabre Australia DOD 15 May 2023 -- This year's Exercise Talisman Sabre will be the biggest yet in terms of geographic spread and the number of partner nations joining Australia and the United States.
- Five Power Defence Arrangement exercise concludes Australia DOD 14 May 2023 -- Exercise Bersama Shield - a bi-annual military exercise between the five nations in the Five Power Defence Arrangements (FPDA) - concluded in Malaysia on Friday.
- CSG 5 Hosts Tri-Lateral Meeting with Japan and Australia US Navy 11 May 2023 -- Information Warfare Community (IWC) leaders from Commander, Task Force (CTF) 70, Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 5 hosted a tri-lateral meeting with officers from the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) and Royal Australian Navy (RAN), May 8.
- Australian Trade Minister Seeks End to Chinese Import Restrictions VOA 11 May 2023 -- Australian Trade Minister Don Farrell arrives in Beijing Thursday to urge China to ease sweeping import restrictions.
- Australia Cuts Some Defense Spending to Fund Nuclear Submarine Project - Reports Sputnik 10 May 2023 -- The Australian military has started saving money to fund the nuclear submarine project while dealing with rampant inflation, the outlet of the Australian Strategic Policy Institute, said on Wednesday.
- Missile launcher a game-changer Australia DOD 10 May 2023 -- After waiting years for a glimpse of Army's newest air-defence system, 16th Regiment, Royal Australian Artillery, gunners got their first look at the National Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile System (NASAMS) during a trial and certification activity last month near Jervis Bay.
- Autralia supports French led Pacific disaster relief exercise Australia DOD 07 May 2023 -- More than 240 Australian Defence Force (ADF) and Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) personnel have returned from New Caledonia after participating in Exercise Croix du Sud 2023.
- New agency and new regulator to deliver Australia's nuclear-powered submarine program Australia DOD 06 May 2023 -- The Albanese Government will establish a new agency and a new regulator as part of its commitment to delivering Australia's conventionally-armed, nuclear-powered submarines.
- Australia Urges US to End Pursuit of Julian Assange VOA 05 May 2023 -- Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said Friday he is frustrated that Wikileaks founder Julian Assange remains in a British prison fighting extradition to the United States. Albanese also said a historic free trade agreement with Britian will come into force within weeks.
- PM meeting with Prime Minister of Australia: 5 May 2023 Gov.UK 05 May 2023
- Opening remarks - Bilateral meeting with Prime Minister Rishi Sunak Prime Minister of Australia 05 May 2023
- Doorstop - London Prime Minister of Australia 05 May 2023 -- Meeting with UK Prime Minister; Coronation of King Charles III; Global Security.
- Exercise spans sea, land and sky Australia DOD 05 May 2023 -- Exercise Bersama Shield, the maritime element of the Five Power Defence Arrangements (FPDA), began in seas off Malaysia recently.
- ADF helps foreigners flee Sudan Australia DOD 04 May 2023 -- The ADF has assisted with evacuating 67 Australian and foreign nationals from war-torn Sudan.
- Australia - Surveillance Towed Array Sensor System Expeditionary (SURTASS-E) Mission Systems DSCA 04 May 2023 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of Australia of Surveillance Towed Array Sensor System Expeditionary (SURTASS-E) mission systems for Vessels of Opportunity (VOO) and related equipment for an estimated cost of $207 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- UK and Australian visit to British home of next-generation nuclear submarines UK MOD 03 May 2023 -- Australian Prime Minister, Anthony Albanese and UK Defence Secretary, Ben Wallace have today visited the shipyard where the next generation of AUKUS nuclear submarines will be built for the Royal Navy.
- Australia lures soldiers with bonus to stay in military amid tensions with China Press TV 02 May 2023 -- The Australian government has announced that military personnel who will stay in uniform after completing the three-year compulsory service will receive A$50,000 ($33,165), amid rising tensions between its ally the US and China.
- Australia's military may struggle in China conflict, defense experts say Radio Free Asia 02 May 2023 -- The Australian military has conducted "top-secret war-gaming exercises," with such scenarios as China setting up a military base in a South Pacific nation, while examining its defense posture, Australia's media reported.
- From the sky to the sea Australia DOD 01 May 2023 -- An around-the-world journey by the Marine Nationale (French Navy) has allowed closer working ties to be forged with RAAF aviators.
- Friendly gathering follows exercise Australia DOD 01 May 2023 -- HMAS Perth recently hosted military counterparts while in Singapore after completing Exercise La Perouse in the Bay of Bengal.
- Sharing skills shoulder to shoulder Australia DOD 01 May 2023 -- 'Balikatan', meaning 'shoulder to shoulder' in the Filipino dialect of Tagalog, has been displayed through mateship and cooperation between Australian, Philippine and US soldiers on Exercise Balikatan.
- Lawyers for Former US Fighter Pilot Fight His Extradition from Australia VOA 01 May 2023 -- Potential misconduct by the Australian Security Intelligence Organization could stop the extradition to the United States of a former fighter pilot who is accused of training the Chinese military.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list