Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2022 - Australia Special Weapons News
- Readout of AUKUS Joint Steering Group Meetings The White House 31 Jul 2022
- United States Indo-Pacific Commander visits RAAF Base Amberley Australia DOD 31 Jul 2022 -- Commander of United States military forces in the Indo-Pacific, Admiral John C. Aquilino, visited RAAF Base Amberley today while in Australia for the 24th annual Indo-Pacific Chiefs of Defense (CHODs) conference.
- Statement on AUKUS Senior Adviser DoD 29 Jul 2022
- Warfighting exercise strengthens US partnership Australia DOD 29 Jul 2022 -- More than 2200 personnel from the Australian Defence Force (ADF) and US Armed Forces recently conducted Exercise Koolendong 2022, a combined arms littoral combat scenario across northern Australia.
- A visit from 'royalty' and a last port call Australia DOD 29 Jul 2022 -- HMAS Parramatta recently concluded its last port visit as part of its regional presence deployment following a busy program of cooperative and independent training ... and a special visit from the deep.
- U.S., Britain, Australia urged to reverse decision on nuclear submarine cooperation People's Daily 29 Jul 2022 -- China on Thursday called on the United States, Britain and Australia to respect the will of regional countries and revoke the decision to carry out nuclear submarine cooperation to avoid harming regional and global peace and security.
- Geospatial goods and services panel established Australia DOD 29 Jul 2022 -- Defence has established the Geospatial Goods and Services Standing Offer Panel (GeoPanel) to procure Geospatial goods, services and relevant emerging geospatial technologies from approved industry providers.
- HMAS Canberra Stows an Osprey for The First Time at Sea US Navy 28 Jul 2022 -- Royal Australian Navy landing helicopter dock HMAS Canberra (L02) embarked two MV-22B Osprey military aircraft onboard and successfully moved the Osprey off the flight deck into the hangar for the first time at sea during Rim of the Pacific 2022.
- First Chair of the Military Committee to attend Indo-Pacific Chiefs of Defence Conference NATO 28 Jul 2022 -- From 25 to 27 July 2022, Admiral Rob Bauer, Chair of the Military Committee attended the 24th annual Indo-Pacific Chiefs of Defence Conference in Australia. On the sidelines of the conference, he met with NATO Partners' Chiefs of Defence of Australia, Japan and Mongolia, the Vice-Chief of Defence of the Republic of Korea as well as the Commander of the United States Indo-Pacific Command.
- Royal Australian Air Force participates in Red Flag Alaska Australia DOD 28 Jul 2022 -- Aircraft and personnel from the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) have arrived in the United States to participate in Exercise Red Flag Alaska.
- Australia and United States military leaders reinforce shared commitment to free and open Indo-Pacific Australia DOD 28 Jul 2022 -- Chief of the Defence Force, General Angus Campbell, AO, DSC, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Mark Milley, and Commander U.S. Indo-Pacific Command, Admiral Chris Aquilino addressed the media during their attendance at the Indo-Pacific Chiefs of Defense (CHODS) Conference in Sydney.
- Almost half of adult Australians have recently had COVID-19: research People's Daily 28 Jul 2022 -- Nearly half of all adults in Australia show signs of having had COVID-19 within the past three to six months, according to a new national report.
- Urban close combat training takes off Australia DOD 27 Jul 2022 -- A fictional village bustles with the chatter of role players and enemy party as Australian and Tongan infantry teams wait, unseen, outside the walls, ready to attack.
- Myanmar: Joint Statement on Execution of Pro-Democracy and Opposition Leaders European External Action Service (EEAS) 25 Jul 2022 -- A joint statement by the High Representative on behalf of the European Union, and the Foreign Ministers of Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, Republic of Korea, the United Kingdom and the United States, condemning the military regime's execution of pro-democracy and opposition leaders in Myanmar.
- Australia co-hosts 2022 Indo-Pacific Chiefs of Defense conference Australia DOD 25 Jul 2022 -- The 24th annual Indo-Pacific Chiefs of Defense (CHODs) conference will be held in Sydney from 25 to 27 July 2022.
- HMAS Canberra: On time, on target Australia DOD 25 Jul 2022 -- Exercise Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) 2022 has provided a plethora of opportunities for interoperability between the Australian Defence Force and the 25 participating nations.
- UK to Hand Over Fleet of Nuclear Submarines to Australia Aiming to Deter China, Report Says Sputnik 22 Jul 2022 -- The United Kingdom will deploy a fleet of nuclear-powered submarines to Australia in a bid to contain China's influence in the region, UK newspaper the Daily Mail reported on Friday.
- Foreign Ministry statement on introducing personal sanctions on representatives of Australia's law enforcement agencies, border force and defence sector contractors Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 21 Jul 2022
- Australia - Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missiles - Extended Range (JASSM ER) DSCA 21 Jul 2022 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of Australia of Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missiles - Extended Range (JASSM ER) and related equipment for an estimated cost of $235 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- Strategic partner to fast-track space technologies Australia DOD 20 Jul 2022 -- Australia's Chief Defence Scientist Professor Tanya Monro has announced that Airbus has been selected as the strategic partner for Defence's Resilient Multi-mission Space STaR Shot - a strategic research program established to develop future space capabilities for the Australian Defence Force (ADF).
- Mining for information at RIMPAC Australia DOD 20 Jul 2022 -- Partner nation teams are using autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs) to assist explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) dive teams by searching for manmade objects that could represent mines.
- HMAS Canberra Focuses on Environmental Stewardship during RIMPAC 2022 US Navy 20 Jul 2022 -- Royal Australian Navy Lieutenant Somaia Ahmadi is an Assistant Marine Engineer Officer whose ancillary duty as the environmental officer onboard Royal Australian Navy landing helicopter dock HMAS Canberra (L02) is to ensure all environmental matters are taken care of. Waste management is her primary focus onboard and during Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) 2022 the ship went to extra lengths to adhere to the environmental requirements of Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam while HMAS Canberra participates in RIMPAC 2022 in and around the Hawaiian Islands.
- Troops take to the sky Australia DOD 19 Jul 2022 -- Soldiers from 8th/9th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment (8/9RAR), took to the sky during Exercise Air Shark to ensure they are ready to deploy anywhere at short notice.
- Australia urged to reshape approach to China, act to improve bilateral ties: FM Global Times 18 Jul 2022 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry on Monday urged Australia to seize the opportunity in bilateral relations and take concrete action to improve trade ties, in response to the Australian treasurer's call for easing coal trade relations with China.
- Australian Official Sees Shared Mission With U.S. DoD News 18 Jul 2022 -- Australian Deputy Prime Minister Richard Marles, who is also defense minister, came away from meetings with U.S. defense leaders with a sense that the two countries shared a mission.
- Enhancement of 2nd Division Australia DOD 16 Jul 2022 -- Chief of Army, Lieutenant General Simon Stuart, AO, DSC today announced the establishment of 2nd Division as an independent functional command at a ceremonial parade held at the Anzac Memorial at Hyde Park, Sydney.
- Australian and New Zealand Hydrographic Teams Mine for Information During RIMPAC SOCAL 2022 US Navy 15 Jul 2022 -- Royal Australian Navy hydrographic surveyors aboard the San Antonio-class transport dock ship USS Portland (LPD-27) are working with surveyors from the Royal New Zealand Navy to locate inert mines along the coast in Southern California, USA as part of Exercise Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) 2022 in Southern California.
- Supply ready for international debut Australia DOD 14 Jul 2022 -- The recently commissioned HMAS Supply is ready to play its role as a range extender for an array of international war ships as the sea phase of Exercise Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) 2022 commences in the waters off Hawaii.
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Call with Australia Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Secretary Jan Adams US Dept. of State 13 Jul 2022
- Joint statement on supporting Ukraine in its proceeding at the International Court of Justice European External Action Service (EEAS) 13 Jul 2022 -- Statement on behalf of Albania, Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Marshall Islands, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Norway, Palau, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States and the European Union:
- Austin, Marles Discuss Future of Australia, U.S. Alliance DoD News 13 Jul 2022 -- The meeting between Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III and Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Richard Marles was more of a family reunion than a strategic summit.
- Australian Defense Chief Announces Major Military Buildup in Indo-Pacific Sputnik 12 Jul 2022 -- Australia will bolster its national security and military footprint in the home region of Indo-Pacific to keep potential adversaries at bay, Defense Minister Richard Marles has announced.
- Port visit reinforces Indo-Pacific relationship Australia DOD 12 Jul 2022 -- The strong relationship between the Australian and Indonesian navies was further enhanced recently with a logistics port visit and a cooperative training activity between the two nations' warships.
- B-2 Spirit aircraft arrives at RAAF Base Amberley Australia DOD 11 Jul 2022 -- B-2 Spirit bomber aircraft from the Pacific Air Forces (PACAF) will be visiting RAAF Base Amberley this month as part of the Enhanced Air Cooperation (EAC) initiative.
- Defence and US Marines hold warfighting exercise across the Top End Australia DOD 11 Jul 2022 -- US Marines of the Marine Rotational Force-Darwin (MRF-D) and members of the Australian Defence Force from Australian Army's 1st and 13th Brigade, and Royal Australian Air Force's 36th, 37th and 75th Squadrons have commenced Exercise Koolendong this week across the Top End.
- Junior combat officers ready for command Australia DOD 11 Jul 2022 -- The Australian Army's newest qualified combat arms officers rose to the challenge of command during Exercise Gauntlet Strike at Puckapunyal Military Area from June 20-30.
- China, Australia agree to smooth bilateral ties People's Daily 10 Jul 2022 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi met with his Australian counterpart Penny Wong here on Friday, with both sides agreeing to remove obstacles and bring bilateral ties back on the right track.
- Statement by President Joe Biden, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, and Prime Minister Narendra Modi Mourning Former Prime Minister Abe The White House 08 Jul 2022
- Australia Urges China to Push Russia to End Ukraine War VOA 07 Jul 2022 -- In a major policy address at the International Institute for Strategic Studies in Singapore Wednesday, Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong said major countries with "influence" on Russia should use it to end the war in Ukraine.
- Hospital system under stress as Aussie state on verge of new wave of COVID-19 People's Daily 07 Jul 2022 -- The Australian state of Queensland is on the verge of a new wave of COVID-19, and health authorities warned hospitals strain could be the worst yet.
- Boxers hit the beach Australia DOD 07 Jul 2022 -- Two of Army's Boxer combat reconnaissance vehicles (CRV) were put to the test when they completed their wet and dry environmental rehearsals (WADER) at Cowley Beach training area in Queensland during Exercise Sea Explorer last month.
- Aussie health authorities warn against local transmission of monkeypox in most populous state People's Daily 06 Jul 2022 -- Health authorities in Australia's most populous state of New South Wales (NSW) warned on Wednesday that monkeypox is likely to be transmitted within the country, as two cases may have been acquired domestically.
- 13 Engineer Regiment raised in historic ceremony Australia DOD 06 Jul 2022 -- The 13th Engineer Regiment (13 ER) has been raised in Western Australia, making it the newest unit on the Australian Army order of battle.
- Australian most populous state faces new wave of COVID-19 People's Daily 05 Jul 2022 -- Health authorities of the Australian state of New South Wales (NSW) warned on Tuesday that the state is facing a new wave of COVID-19, urging the public to get vaccinated as soon as possible.
- A chance for the Poseidon to find its land legs Australia DOD 05 Jul 2022 -- For the first time, P-8A Poseidon crews joined Exercise Diamond Storm.
- Australia to Boost Military Aid to Ukraine VOA 04 Jul 2022 -- Anthony Albanese made a surprise visit to Ukraine Sunday after attending the NATO summit in Madrid. The Australian prime minister lit a candle for civilians buried in a mass grave in the town of Bucha, near the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv, where Russian soldiers are accused of committing atrocities. He said Australia shared the community's desire to seek justice for the victims.
- Australia scraps requirement to declare COVID-19 vaccination status for int'l arrivals People's Daily 04 Jul 2022 -- The Australian government has announced an end to requirements for international travelers to declare COVID-19 vaccination status.
- Australia surpasses 10,000 COVID-19 deaths People's Daily 04 Jul 2022 -- Australia has surpassed 10,000 coronavirus deaths as COVID-19 case numbers continue to rise in the country, with 30 more deaths reported on Sunday.
- Local knowledge protecting the north Australia DOD 04 Jul 2022 -- When North-West Mobile Force's (Norforce) Darwin Squadron patrols the Top End, establishing and maintaining relationships is just as important as having the latest high-tech surveillance gear.
- Firing a first for Supply Australia DOD 04 Jul 2022 -- HMAS Supply successfully completed a first-of-class firing trial of the Phalanx close-in weapon system (CIWS) during a regional presence deployment.
- Australian PM Offers Fresh Military Aid To Ukraine During Kyiv Visit RFE/RL 03 Jul 2022 -- During a visit to Kyiv, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese pledged that his country will provide additional support to Ukraine in its fight against Russia's full-scale invasion.
- President met with the Prime Minister of Australia in Kyiv President of Ukraine 03 Jul 2022
- HMAS Ararat decommissions in Darwin Australia DOD 02 Jul 2022 -- Royal Australian Navy (RAN) has decommissioned Armidale Class Patrol Boat HMAS Ararat at a ceremony at HMAS Coonawarra, Darwin, following 16 years of service.
- Joint statement by France and Australia √Člys√©e - President of France 01 Jul 2022
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau meets with Prime Minister of Australia Anthony Albanese Prime Minister of Canada 01 Jul 2022 -- Yesterday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau met with the Prime Minister of Australia, Anthony Albanese, on the margins of the NATO Summit in Madrid, Spain.
- Statement - Guardian Class Patrol Boats Australia DOD 01 Jul 2022 -- Defence has recently advised the Government of an issue affecting the Guardian class patrol boats Australia has delivered to Pacific Island nations through the Pacific Maritime Security Program (PMSP). The issue involves a potential fault in the exhaust system.
- Chinese military spokesperson responds to provocations of Australian, Canadian military aircraft People's Daily 01 Jul 2022 -- A Chinese defense spokesperson on Thursday responded to provocative acts of Australian and Canadian military aircraft, and warned that those who come uninvited will bear the consequences.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list