Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2022 - Australia Special Weapons News
- Australia, Japan, and the United States Integrate to Prove Lethal during Exercise SOUTHERN JACKAROO USMC News 31 May 2022 -- Marine Rotational Force-Darwin participated in Exercise SOUTHERN JACKAROO 22, a tri-lateral infantry integration exercise featuring Marines and Sailors with MRF-D, Australian Defense Force members, and Japanese Ground Self Defense Force personnel from May 10 - May 31.
- China, Australia vie for influence, as Beijing touts vision for the Pacific Radio Free Asia 27 May 2022 -- As China launched a high-level diplomatic mission to build its influence in the Pacific islands, Australia's new government responded with one of its own, promising to bring "more energy and resources" to the remote region.
- China Secures More Deals in South Pacific as Australia Warns of Security Pact's 'Consequences' Sputnik 27 May 2022 -- China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi embarked on an eight-nation tour this week aiming to boost his country's growing economic and security ties in the South Pacific â€” a region dominated by Australia and the US. Beijing has asked the US to stay out of sovereign decisions made by Pacific island nations.
- The French President spoke with the Prime Minister of Australia, Anthony ALBANESE. Ã‰lysÃ©e - President of France 26 May 2022 -- The President of the French Republic spoke with the Prime Minister of Australia, Anthony Albanese, today to congratulate him on his election.
- HMAS Parramatta departs for a regional presence deployment Australia DOD 26 May 2022 -- HMAS Parramatta has sailed from her home port of Fleet Base East for a two-month Regional Presence Deployment to Southeast and North Asia.
- Australia - HIMARS Launchers DSCA 26 May 2022 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of Australia of HIMARS Launchers and related equipment for an estimated cost of $385 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- Next generation of Top Guns to strike in Top End Storm Australia DOD 25 May 2022 -- The Royal Australian Air Force's Exercise Diamond Storm 22 will be held in the skies above the Northern Territory from May 30 to June 24.
- HMAS Stalwart 'open for business' Australia DOD 25 May 2022 -- The crew of HMAS Stalwart recently achieved a major milestone in the ship's short time in service when they successfully conducted the ship's first replenishment at sea.
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau speaks with Prime Minister of Australia Anthony Albanese Prime Minister of Canada 24 May 2022 -- Today, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau spoke with the Prime Minister of Australia, Anthony Albanese, and congratulated him on his recent election victory.
- Joint statement on Ukraine's application against Russia at the International Court of Justice Germany Federal Foreign Office 24 May 2022 -- Statement on behalf of Albania, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Marshall Islands, Micronesia (Federated States of), Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States, European Union:
- Quad Joint Leaders' Statement The White House 24 May 2022
- Australia, India, Japan and US end 'Quad' summit with eyes on China Radio Free Asia 24 May 2022 -- Leaders of the Quadrilateral Security Dialogue (Quad) met on Tuesday in Tokyo, with China's increasing influence and assertiveness in the Indo-Pacific region looming large over the four-nation summit.
- Prime Minister's participation in the Quad Leaders' Summit India PIB 24 May 2022 -- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi participated in the second in-person Quad Leaders' Summit in Tokyo, Japan on 24 May 2022, along with Prime Minister Fumio Kishida of Japan, President Joseph Biden of the United States of America and Prime Minister Anthony Albanese of Australia. This was the fourth interaction of the Leaders since their first virtual meeting in March 2021, the Summit in Washington D.C in September 2021 and their virtual interaction in March 2022.
- Remarks by President Biden, Prime Minister Kishida Fumio of Japan, Prime Minister Narendra Modi of India, and Prime Minister Anthony Albanese of Australia at the Second In-Person Quad Leaders' Summit The White House 24 May 2022
- Remarks by President Biden and Prime Minister Anthony Albanese of the Commonwealth of Australia Before Bilateral Meeting | Tokyo, Japan The White House 24 May 2022
- Prime Minister's meeting with Australian Prime Minister on the sidelines of the Quad Leaders' Summit India PIB 24 May 2022 -- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi held a bilateral meeting with Australian Prime Minister H.E. Mr. Anthony Albanese on 24 May 2022 on the sidelines of the Quad Leaders' Summit in Tokyo, Japan.
- HMAS Ararat's crew rescues Solomon Islands police Australia DOD 24 May 2022 -- The crew of HMAS Ararat rescued a Royal Solomon Islands Police Force (RSIPF) crew last Saturday after the police vessel was reported missing.
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with Australian Foreign Minister Wong US Dept. of State 24 May 2022
- Readout of President Biden's Meeting with Prime Minister Albanese of Australia The White House 24 May 2022
- New Australian Leader Sides with Washington, Rebuffs Beijing VOA 24 May 2022 -- Australia's new leader signaled Tuesday that he would resist growing Chinese influence in the Indo-Pacific region â€” seeming to dismiss Beijing's hopeful comments upon his election and portending a growing closeness between the United States and Australia.
- Biden Meets With Quad Leaders in Tokyo VOA 23 May 2022 -- U.S. President Joe Biden is meeting Tuesday with leaders from an informal alliance known as the Quad. Made up of the United States, Japan, India and Australia, the regional grouping is widely seen as an attempt to contain China.
- New Australian Prime Minister Sworn In After Election Win VOA 23 May 2022 -- Australia's new prime minister was sworn in Monday before flying to Japan for talks with U.S. President Joe Biden and other world leaders. Labor Party leader Anthony Albanese won Saturday's general election, ending almost a decade of conservative government.
- Anthony Albanese sworn in as Australia's 31st prime minister People's Daily 23 May 2022 -- Australia's Labor Party leader Anthony Albanese was sworn in on Monday to become the country's 31st Prime Minister.
- Australia's Anthony Albanese sworn in as new PM ahead of Quad summit Press TV 23 May 2022 -- Anthony Albanese, who defeated Scott Morrison's conservative party in a tightly-contested election on Saturday, has been sworn in as Australia's new prime minister.
- US, Japan, Australia, India to launch system designed to track Chinese fishing activities: Report Press TV 22 May 2022 -- The US, Japan, Australia, and India plan to launch a tracking system designed to monitor Chinese fishing activities in the Indo-Pacific region.
- Quad summit tests new Aussie PM's political wisdom Global Times 22 May 2022 -- Shortly after Australia's Labor Party leader Anthony Albanese is sworn in on Monday, the country's new prime minister will head for Japan for a Quad summit where he will "renew" his acquaintance with US President Joe Biden and meet other leaders of the group including the Indian and Japanese prime ministers.
- Australian PM-elect Albanese vows to repair Canberra's image overseas Press TV 22 May 2022 -- Australia's incoming Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has vowed to mend Canberra's relations with the world and sweep aside the country's reputation as a climate laggard.
- Australian Federal Election US Dept. of State 22 May 2022
- Readout of President Biden's Call with Prime Minister-Designate Anthony Albanese The White House 22 May 2022
- Australian PM concedes defeat in federal election People's Daily 22 May 2022 -- Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison has conceded defeat in the country's 2022 federal election held on Saturday.
- Morrison concedes defeat in Australia election, ending 9 years of conservative rule Press TV 21 May 2022 -- Australia's prime minister Scott Morrison conceded defeat in the country's general election on Saturday, ending almost a decade of conservative rule.
- Australian PM Scott Morrison Concedes His Government's Election Defeat Sputnik 21 May 2022 -- Now that the Labor party has won the federal election, its leader Anthony Albanese is poised to become Australia's next prime minister.
- Joint statement on Ukraine's application against Russia at the International Court of Justice Germany Federal Foreign Office 20 May 2022 -- Statement on behalf of Albania, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Marshall Islands, Micronesia (Federated States of), Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States, European Union
- Candidates Consider China Threat as Australian Election Draws Closer VOA 19 May 2022 -- Relations with China are a key campaign issue as Australians prepare to vote in a general election on May 21. Both major parties have accused each other of inaction or connivance in their approach to diplomacy with China, which is Australia's biggest trading partner.
- Small boats, big gesture of friendship Australia DOD 18 May 2022 -- Two new vessels have been handed over to the Royal Solomon Islands Police Force (RSIPF) Maritime Division to support maritime capability and assist patrol and response operations.
- Exercise Southern Jackaroo enhances international combat readiness Australia DOD 17 May 2022 -- Hundreds of Australian soldiers, troops from the Japanese Ground Self Defence Force (JGSDF) and US Marines have started a major warfighting exercise at Queensland's Shoalwater Bay training area.
- Exercise Autonomous Warrior testing new technologies to meet emerging maritime security challenges Australia DOD 16 May 2022 -- Commencing today, HMAS Creswell and the waters of Jervis Bay will be the scene of a simulated, next generation naval battlespace - Exercise Autonomous Warrior 2022 (AW22).
- Cost of Living Pressures Concern Voters as Australia Prepares for General Election VOA 16 May 2022 -- Australians vote in a general election Saturday, May 21. The rising cost of living and the economy are key issues among voters.
- Joint Statement of Foreign Ministers on increased Restrictions on the Human Rights of Afghan Women and Girls Germany Federal Foreign Office 13 May 2022 -- Statement by the Foreign Ministers of Australia, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Italy, Japan, the Republic of Korea, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States:
- Pentagon Urges Congress to Allow Funding of Rare Earths & Mineral Processing in UK, Australia Sputnik 13 May 2022 -- The US has lost its mining and processing dominance over past decades. China remains the world's largest producer of the strategic materials needed to produce consumer electronics and a spate of weapons.
- Imagery - Chinese Naval Vessel operating off West Australian Coast Australia DOD 13 May 2022 -- Defence is aware of a People's Liberation Army-Navy (PLA-N) Intelligence Collection Vessel operating off the north-west shelf of Australia.
- High COVID-19 caseload in Western Australia sparks concern for health care system People's Daily 12 May 2022 -- The state of Western Australia (WA) continues to see a spike in COVID infections, which arouses concern for its health care system.
- New maintenance model returns ships to water faster Australia DOD 12 May 2022 -- Defence's new approach to sustaining the Navy's growing fleet was officially launched at the Sea Power 2022 conference this week.
- Navy hosts largest international exercise in its history Australia DOD 12 May 2022 -- This year's Exercise Kakadu is expected to be the largest international maritime engagement activity hosted by the Royal Australian Navy in its history.
- Toowoomba exercise tests joint Army and Police response Australia DOD 12 May 2022 -- Soldiers from the Army's 11th Brigade will soon arrive in Toowoomba for a week-long training exercise aimed at improving joint procedures with representatives of the Queensland Police Service (QPS).
- Sea Power: Nations share common vision on Indo-Pacific security Australia DOD 11 May 2022 -- Maritime leaders from nine nations joined Australia's Chief of Navy, Vice Admiral Michael Noonan, at the Indo-Pacific Sea Power 2022 conference in outlining common opportunities to jointly enhance maritime security in the Indo-Pacific.
- Attribution to Russia for malicious cyber activity against European networks Australia MFA 10 May 2022 -- Australia is committed to working with our partners and allies to shine a light on Russia's ongoing unacceptable activity in cyberspace and condemns Russia's destructive, disruptive and destabilising cyber activities against Ukraine. Today we join the US and the EU in attributing to the Russian government the following activity:
- Media Release - Indo Pacific 2022 opens in Sydney Australia DOD 10 May 2022 -- A record number of Defence industry businesses and international naval delegations will participate in the Indo Pacific 2022 International Maritime Exposition in Sydney this week.
- Exercise Southern Jackaroo Australia DOD 10 May 2022 -- Hundreds of Australian soldiers, troops from the Japanese Ground Self-Defense Force (JGSDF) and United States marines have started a major warfighting exercise at Queensland's Shoalwater Bay training area.
- Conference focuses on regional maritime security Australia DOD 09 May 2022 -- The closure of the Suez Canal and disruption to the global supply chain following the beaching of the Ever Given in 2021 highlighted the importance of having a stable Indo-Pacific region, according to Chief of Navy Vice Admiral Michael Noonan.
- Australian PM Ratchets Up Tensions With Claim to 'Ensure' No Chinese Base in the Solomon Islands Sputnik 09 May 2022 -- On Sunday, Australia's Prime Minister election debate saw both major parties portray a recently-passed bilateral agreement between the Solomon Islands and China as a potential threat to Canberra. Making it the latest signal that Western panic over Chinese development projects in the Indo-Pacific is here to stay.
- 'Deeply Concerned' About Security Deal With China, Australian FM Tells Solomon Islands Counterpart Sputnik 07 May 2022 -- The meeting between the two foreign ministers came after Australian and Chinese officials held virtual consultations on 6 May, as per an Australian release. Canberra says that it raised "serious concerns" about the Sino-Solomon Islands' security pact and the "lack of transparency" around it during the online meeting.
- Working together for Ukraine Australia DOD 06 May 2022 -- The accelerated airlift of Australian military assistance for the Government of Ukraine has continued this week with the latest load of heavy supplies being transported by Ukrainian-based cargo aviation company Antonov Airlines.
- The rise of Australia's prize defence export Australia DOD 06 May 2022 -- Some of the world's largest warships are protected from missile attack by Nulka, an Australian-designed rocket that pretends to be a ship. Its developers struggled for decades bring their ideas to fruition, until the sinking of the British guided missile destroyer HMS Sheffield in the Falklands War helped change military thinking.
- Readout of U.S. Attorney General Merrick B. Garland's Meeting with Five Eyes Partners and Ukraine's Prosecutor General US Dept. of Justice 05 May 2022 -- U.S. Attorney General Merrick B. Garland met virtually yesterday with Ukraine's Prosecutor General, Iryna Venediktova, together with the Attorneys General of the Five Eyes countries: the United Kingdom's Attorney General, Suella Braverman; Australia's Attorney General, Michaelia Cash; Canada's Minister of Justice and Attorney General, David Lametti; and New Zealand's Attorney General, David Parker.
- Service ends for 'Invincible 88' HMAS Maitland Australia DOD 05 May 2022 -- HMAS Maitland has completed her service to the nation and was decommissioned at her home port of Darwin on April 28.
- Australia to Develop Unmanned Submarines Amid Growing Tensions Over Sino-Solomon Security Pact Sputnik 05 May 2022 -- Canberra's announcement on developing unmanned submarines comes amid tensions in the region over the security pact between China and the Solomon Islands. The pact has been described as a "policy failure" by Australia's federal opposition Labor Party and has taken centre stage in the ongoing federal election campaign ahead of voting on 21 May.
- Supply critical to keeping ships at sea Australia DOD 04 May 2022 -- It is crucial for ships to be at sea and just as important to keep them there. Replenishment ship HMAS Supply is one of Navy's key enablers for keeping the fleet in the fight.
- New vessel supports Thursday Island operations Australia DOD 04 May 2022 -- Thursday Island has a new 12.5-metre regional support watercraft to support maritime operations in the region and be operated by Army's 51st Battalion, Far North Queensland Regiment (51 FNQR).
- Back From Down Under | 3rd Maintenance Battalion Marines return from successful Australia deployment USMC News 02 May 2022 -- The Marines and Sailors of 3rd Maintenance Battalion, 3rd Marine Logistics Group were officially welcomed back from their eight month deployment to Darwin, Australia, April 29, 2022.
- Royal Australian Navy Conducts Weapons Handling Exercise with USS Springfield US Navy 01 May 2022 -- The Los Angeles-class fast-attack submarine USS Springfield (SSN 761) completed a weapons handling exercise involving the transfer of an inert training shape from Royal Australian Navy assets ashore to the submarine, while moored at HMAS Stirling navy base, April 28, 2022.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list