Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2022 - Australia Special Weapons News
- Closed-door trial of Australian Cheng Lei legitimate, involves China's state secrets: FM Global Times 31 Mar 2022 -- It is lawful for China's court to hold a closed-door trial over a case that involves state secrets, a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson said, responding to a question over the court trial of Australian national Cheng Lei suspected of illegally providing China's state secrets to a foreign country.
- 'Spying' trial of Australian national, state TV anchor Cheng Lei held in secret Radio Free Asia 31 Mar 2022 -- Australian national and Chinese state TV anchor Cheng Lei stood trial behind closed doors at a Beijing court on Thursday for alleged breaches of the national security law.
- Chinese Military Presence in Solomon Islands Will Affect Australia's Ops, Warns General Sputnik 31 Mar 2022 -- The Solomon Islands said on Thursday that its officials had "initialled" elements of the security cooperation agreement with China, despite reservations expressed by its regional partners such as Australia and New Zealand. It also said that the final agreement would be signed between the two foreign ministers in the coming days.
- Agile and lethal capabilities on show Australia DOD 31 Mar 2022 -- Aviators from Royal Australian Air Force's No. 1 Security Forces Squadron participated in Exercise Pacific Defender earlier this year at Andersen Air Force Base, Guam.
- Joint Statement - Inaugural Australia-U.S. Strategic Commercial Dialogue (AUSSCD) US Dept. of Commerce 30 Mar 2022 -- Secretary of Commerce Gina Raimondo and Minister for Trade, Tourism, and Investment Dan Tehan met on March 30 in Washington D.C. for the inaugural Australia-U.S. Strategic Commercial Dialogue (AUSSCD).
- Iranian Navy Joins France, Other Countries in Joint Maritime Drills Off Indian Coast Sputnik 30 Mar 2022 -- Jointly led by India and France, the IONS comprises 24 countries, including Iran, Pakistan, Australia and Indonesia. Eight countries - among them China, Russia, and Japan - have observer status.
- Air-to-air refuelling success Australia DOD 30 Mar 2022 -- Maintaining the capability edge, Royal Australian Air Force P-8A Poseidon aircraft and crews from No. 11 Squadron forward-deployed to RAAF Base Darwin to complete a series of air-to-air refuelling training missions in partnership with United States Air Force (USAF) KC-135 Stratotanker mission crew late last year.
- First of new patrol boats launched Australia DOD 30 Mar 2022 -- The acceptance of Defence's first evolved Cape-class patrol boat will strengthen Australia's naval capability while providing greater reliability and effectiveness to the RAN's patrol force to keep our borders safe.
- HMAS Canberra arrives home Australia DOD 30 Mar 2022 -- HMAS Canberra sailed back into Sydney Harbour on March 29 after completing the Australian Defence Force's ship-based support to Tonga.
- Statement - Defence response to The Australian article Australia DOD 29 Mar 2022 -- Defence strongly disagrees with the article published in The Australian on 28 March 2022 Defence boost amid blowouts.
- The UK and Australia work together to get vital aid to Ukraine UK FCDO 28 Mar 2022 -- Foreign Secretary Liz Truss updated the House of Commons on the situation in Ukraine and on the NATO and G7 Leaders meetings in Brussels last week.
- New signals intelligence agency opened Australia DOD 28 Mar 2022 -- Defence Minister Peter Dutton marked the 75th anniversary of the Australian Signals Directorate by opening a new facility for the signals intelligence agency in Canberra last week.
- Australia Sees Solomon Islands-China Security Deal as Step to 'Restrict Movement in Pacific' Sputnik 28 Mar 2022 -- The Solomon Islands has planned an agreement with Beijing covering Chinese deployments of "police, armed police, military personnel, and other law enforcement and armed forces" to the Pacific nation. Australia and New Zealand have expressed grave concerns and said this agreement would lead to the militarisation of the region.
- Australia Alarmed at China's Security Talks With Solomon Islands VOA 26 Mar 2022 -- The Solomon Islands has confirmed it is negotiating a security deal with China, which has caused alarm in neighboring Australia and New Zealand.
- Statement by National Security Council Spokesperson Emily Horne on Quad Senior Cyber Group Meeting The White House 25 Mar 2022
- Visit to Australia by Commander Indo-Pacific Command, Admiral John C. Aquilino Australia DOD 26 Mar 2022 -- U.S. Navy Admiral John C. Aquilino, commander of United States Indo-Pacific Command, visited Australia this week to demonstrate unequivocally the strength and depth of the Australia-United States Alliance and our shared interests in ensuring an open, inclusive and resilient Indo-Pacific.
- HMAS Canberra returns from Tonga Australia DOD 24 Mar 2022 -- The Royal Australian Navy's HMAS Canberra, her crew and embarked forces have arrived in Townsville following their deployment on Operation Tonga Assist 2022.
- U. S. Navy and Royal Australian Air Force Conduct First Cooperative Air-to-Air Refueling US Navy 23 Mar 2022 -- A U.S. Navy P-8A from Patrol Squadron 47 (VP-47) and one KC-30A from Royal Australian Air Force No. 33 Squadron (RAAF 33) conducted the first ever operational Air-To-Air Refueling (AAR) between a U.S. Navy P-8A and a RAAF KC-30A on March 20.
- Defence soars into space Australia DOD 23 Mar 2022 -- As Defence enters into a new space era with the establishment of Defence Space Command, the release of the Defence Space Strategy sets a vector to assure Australia's access to space for civilian and military uses.
- Australia sets up space command against China, a 'political show risks arms race' Global Times 23 Mar 2022 -- Following the lead of the US' Space Force and claiming to counter China and Russia, Australia announced the establishment of its Space Command, in a move analysts said is a political show that reaffirms Australia's subordinate role to the US in an attempt to contain China militarily despite the fact that Australia lacks the ability to do so.
- First Australian built uncrewed combat aircraft named Australian Government - Department of Defence 21 Mar 2022 -- The first Australian-made uncrewed combat air vehicle has successfully completed its test flights, and has officially been named at a ceremony at RAAF Base Amberley. Working under the title, 'Loyal Wingman' Minister for Defence the Hon Peter Dutton MP, today unveiled the aircraft's official service name, "MQ-28A Ghost Bat."
- Boeing's Australian-Produced Uncrewed Aircraft to be Named 'MQ-28A Ghost Bat' Boeing 21 Mar 2022 -- Boeing Australia congratulates the Australian Government and Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) on their selection of 'MQ-28A Ghost Bat' as the military designator and name for the first Australian-produced military combat aircraft in over 50 years.
- Air Force welcomes new Diamonds Australia DOD 20 Mar 2022 -- The Australian Air Force Cadets (AAFC), Aviation Operations Wing, recently took delivery of four new Diamond DA40 NG aircraft, bringing the total fleet to 12.
- Navy, Air Force support Pacific fisheries Australia DOD 18 Mar 2022 -- The Australian Defence Force (ADF) is working with its south-west Pacific neighbours to detect and deter illegal maritime activity in the region.
- US Navy crew helps clean up Australia DOD 18 Mar 2022 -- USS Frank Cable recently arrived in Brisbane, and some of the ship's company stepped ashore to help Australian Defence Force personnel deployed on Operation Flood Assist with clean-up tasks.
- Trilateral training boosts regional security Australia DOD 17 Mar 2022 -- The Royal Australian Navy frigate HMAS Arunta and a Royal Australian Air Force P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol aircraft recently joined US Navy destroyer USS Momsen and Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force destroyer JS Yudachi for training in the South China Sea.
- U.S., Japan, Australia Conduct Trilateral Naval Training in South China Sea US Navy 17 Mar 2022 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Momsen (DDG 92) joined the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) and the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) in the South China Sea for multinational training which concluded March 15.
- U.S. Departments of Treasury and Justice Launch Multilateral Russian Oligarch Task Force US Treasury 16 Mar 2022 -- Secretary of the Treasury Janet L. Yellen and Attorney General Merrick B. Garland today met virtually with representatives from Australia, Canada, Germany, France, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the European Commission, to launch the Russian Elites, Proxies, and Oligarchs (REPO) multilateral task force. The task force was first announced by leaders on February 26.
- U.S. Departments of Justice and Treasury Launch Multilateral Russian Oligarch Task Force US Dept. of Justice 16 Mar 2022 -- Attorney General Merrick B. Garland and Secretary of the Treasury Janet L. Yellen today met virtually with representatives from Australia, Canada, Germany, France, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the European Commission, to launch the Russian Elites, Proxies, and Oligarchs (REPO) multilateral task force. The task force was first announced by leaders on Feb. 26.
- Australia, The Netherlands Start Legal Action Against Russia Over Airline Tragedy VOA 15 Mar 2022 -- The families of Australians killed in the downing of a Malaysia passenger airliner over Ukraine in 2014 have welcomed Canberra's decision to launch legal action against Russia.
- Operation Flood Assist daily briefing Australia DOD 15 Mar 2022
- Forces arrive for Marine Rotational Force - Darwin 2022 Australia DOD 14 Mar 2022 -- United States (US) Marines have begun arriving in the Northern Territory to commence the eleventh annual rotation of the Marine Rotational Force - Darwin (MRF-D).
- Australia, Netherlands File Joint Case Against Russia Over MH17 Downing RFE/RL 14 Mar 2022 -- Australia and the Netherlands have launched joint legal proceedings at the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) against Russia over the downing of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17.
- Australia Targets 33 Russian Businessmen, Including Abramovich, With Sanctions Amid Ukraine Crisis Sputnik 14 Mar 2022 -- Australia is introducing more sanctions targeting Russian businessmen and other prominent figures, as well as their family members, over the situation in Ukraine, Australian Foreign Minister Marise Payne said on Monday.
- Australia to Sanction Russian Oligarchs VOA 14 Mar 2022 -- Australia has imposed fresh sanctions on wealthy Russian entrepreneurs because of the Kremlin's invasion of Ukraine. The move is part of Australia's strategy to penalize people of economic and political value to Russia.
- China-Australia Relations Hit New Low Over Military, Politics, Science VOA 12 Mar 2022 -- Australia's already cool relations with China have declined again during the past few weeks over a new spate of incidents, experts in the Asia Pacific say.
- Operation Flood Assist daily briefing Australia DOD 12 Mar 2022
- Chinese defense spokesperson: Australia has no business interfering Taiwan question PLA Daily 11 Mar 2022 -- Senior Colonel Tan Kefei, spokesperson for the Chinese Ministry of National Defense (MND) slammed Australian Defense Ministry's negative remarks over China on Thursday when answering reporter's questions.
- Joint force success Australia DOD 10 Mar 2022 -- This year's Diamond series kicked off with the successful completion of the first exercise, Diamond Seas 2022 in February.
- Navy unites with partners in Exercise Milan Australia DOD 10 Mar 2022 -- HMAS Arunta recently took part in the multilateral Exercise Milan 2022.
- AUKUS: Tri-lateral statement to the IAEA Board of Governors UK FCDO 10 Mar 2022 -- UK Ambassador to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) updated the Board of Governors on behalf of Australia, the UK and the US on the AUKUS agreement.
- Australia to build east coast base for its planned nuke subs Radio Free Asia 09 Mar 2022 -- Australia is to build a new submarine base on the east coast of the country to support its new nuclear-powered submarines, the Australian prime minister says.
- Australia Imposes New Sanctions on Russia Over Ukraine Invasion VOA 08 Mar 2022 -- Australia announced a set of new sanctions on Russia over its invasion of Ukraine, including against people identified as "Moscow's propagandists and purveyors of disinformation."
- Australia to Invest $7.4 Billion to Develop a New Pacific Base for its AUKUS Submarines Sputnik 07 Mar 2022 -- Under the AUKUS pact announced in September last year, the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) will get at least eight nuclear-powered submarines, which will be developed domestically after the transfer of technology from either the US or the United Kingdom. Canberra has yet to decide which technology it would be using for developing its subs.
- Australian Retirement Funds Start Dumping Russian Assets Over Ukraine Invasion VOA 05 Mar 2022 -- Some Australian finance firms have started to divest Russian assets in the wake of Russia's invasion of Ukraine. The Australian government Thursday urged the country's $2.5 trillion pension industry to reassess its Russian holdings after the invasion.
- Joint Readout of Quad Leaders Call The White House 03 Mar 2022
- Western Australia Finally Opens Border After COVID-19 Closure VOA 03 Mar 2022 -- After almost two years, Western Australia has lifted the nation's toughest COVID-19 border controls. Double-vaccinated international and domestic travelers are now allowed in, as the so-called hermit state reconnects with the rest of the world.
- PM participates in virtual summit of Quad leaders India PIB 03 Mar 2022 -- Prime Minister participated today at a virtual summit of Quad leaders, along with US President Joe Biden, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida
- Deployment enhances regional security Australia DOD 02 Mar 2022 -- Training with partners, traversing vital shipping routes and visiting regional ports have all been part of HMAS Arunta's latest regional presence deployment.
- HMAS Canberra arrives in Tonga Australia DOD 02 Mar 2022 -- HMAS Canberra has arrived in Tonga to relieve HMAS Adelaide on Operation Tonga Assist 2022.
- Australia to Buy Missiles and Ammunition for Ukraine VOA 01 Mar 2022 -- Australia says it plans to spend $50 million to buy missiles and ammunition to support Ukraine.
- Australia to Provide Lethal, Nonlethal Aid to Ukraine DoD News 01 Mar 2022 -- Deputy Defense Secretary Kathleen H. Hicks met yesterday with Australian Defense Secretary Greg Moriarty to advance the United States-Australia alliance and compare perspectives on managing national defense enterprises, Pentagon spokesman Eric Pahon said.
- Australian support to Ukraine PM of Australia 01 Mar 2022 -- Australia will provide significant additional military assistance and emergency humanitarian support to help the people of Ukraine following the brutal invasion by Russia.
- Press Conference Canberra, ACT PM of Australia 01 Mar 2022
- Readout of Deputy Secretary of Defense Dr. Kathleen Hicks' Meeting With Australian Secretary of Defence Greg Moriarty DoD 01 Mar 2022 -- Deputy Secretary of Defense Dr. Kathleen Hicks met yesterday with Australian Secretary of Defence Greg Moriarty to advance the United States-Australia Alliance and compare perspectives on managing national defense enterprises.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list