Sulphur Springs, WV
The Continuity of Government facility intended since 1962 to house the United States Congress, code-named Casper, is located on the grounds of the prestigious Greenbrier resort. The bunker is beneath the West Virginia wing, which includes a complete medical clinic. Construction of the facility, which began in 1959, required 2.5 years and 50,000 tons of concrete. The steel-reinforced concrete walls of the bunker, which is 20 feet below ground, are 2 feet thick. The facility includes separate chambers for the House of Representatives and the Senate, as well as a larger room for joint sessions. These are located in the "Exhibit Hall" of the West Virginia Wing, which includes vehicular and pedestrian entrances which can be quickly sealed by blast doors. The secrecy of the facility was maintained by the unacknowledged use of Forsythe Associates, an Arlington, VA, based company which nominally was responsible for television services to the resort.
- The Greenbrier includes a mention of the bunker
- The Ultimate Congressional Hideaway By Ted Gup The Washington Post Sunday, May 31, 1992; Page W11
- Gup, Ted, "The Doomsday Blueprints," Time, 10 August 1992, pages 32-39.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|