4128th Strategic Wing
461st Bomb Wing
In 1957 facilities at Amarillo AFB Texas were expanded to accommodate an air wing of the Strategic Air Command. The base was redesignated Amarillo Technical Training Center in 1959, when the 4128th Strategic Air Wing concluded a joint-tenancy agreement with Air Training Command. The 4128th Strategic Wing inactivated on 01 February 1963, and was succeeded by the 461st Strategic Wing (Heavy), later redesignated the 461st Bomb Wing, which remained at Amarillo AFB until it inactivated on 25 March 1968.
In February of 1960 the 718th Bomb Squadron was reassigned from the 28th Bomb Wing at Ellsworth AFB, SD to the 4128th Strategic Wing, where they continued to operate the B-52D until being inactivated on 01 February 1963. The 764th Bomb Squadron operated the B-52 from February 1963 to February 1968 while assigned to the 461st Bomb Wing at Amarillo AFB. The primary model assigned was the B-52D, with some B-52Cs assigned during the later years. In January and February 1966 a cadre unit from Amarillo AFB, Texas was phased into the the 4133rd Bomb Wing (Provisional) operation at Anderson AFB Guam, with 11 additional B-52Ds and 500 plus personnel added to Arc Light operations over Southeast Asia.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|